HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Apple, Consider Yourselves *****slapped By Google

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
  #26
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Was I the only one not very impressed by that demo? He didn't really challenge Flash's capabilities, and most of it looked buggy anyway. He even said it himself, "it's not a perfect implementation, but it works."

The impression I always got from Apple is that Flash doesn't work perfectly with a mobile device, so that is why it was never included. Apple won't release it unless it is perfect. (I'm not an Apple fan BTW)
If that was the case, they Apple wouldn't have released mobile Safari - it works reasonably well on my Touch, but it crashes a lot. And that's without supporting any plugins.

For me, it's not necessarily how well Flash works, just having the option to use it. I've tried the HTML5 beta on YT, it's getting better, but it doesn't run any better than Flash, sometimes even worse, and on my PC, there's no GPU-acceleration.

My primary use for Flash, is to playback web videos BTW, and things like Hulu desktop run really, really well. I wouldn't mind Hulu playback on my phone.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:21 PM
  #27
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
If that was the case, they Apple wouldn't have released mobile Safari - it works reasonably well on my Touch, but it crashes a lot. And that's without supporting any plugins.

For me, it's not necessarily how well Flash works, just having the option to use it. I've tried the HTML5 beta on YT, it's getting better, but it doesn't run any better than Flash, sometimes even worse, and on my PC, there's no GPU-acceleration.

My primary use for Flash, is to playback web videos BTW, and things like Hulu desktop run really, really well. I wouldn't mind Hulu playback on my phone.
Hulu won't work on Android initially because of broadcasting licensing issues.

I'm sure Hulu would work otherwise.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:16 AM
  #28
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Well, I hope Hulu doesn't block this but here ya go Hulu on Android:

http://phandroid.com/2010/05/23/want...-your-android/

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:25 AM
  #29
HFPM
Registered User
 
HFPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Leduc...
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Beautiful. Might finally convince me to drop money on the Milestone.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 06:05 AM
  #30
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,293
vCash: 500
Is it a new phone that does everything well except call people?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:55 PM
  #31
Pnut
Registered User
 
Pnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: w. suckic
Country: United States
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
If that was the case, they Apple wouldn't have released mobile Safari - it works reasonably well on my Touch, but it crashes a lot. And that's without supporting any plugins.
I have used Safari on my iPod touch and i can't remember once that Safari crashed. Now the Youtube app did crash and was on 1 video. Why I will never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
For me, it's not necessarily how well Flash works, just having the option to use it. I've tried the HTML5 beta on YT, it's getting better, but it doesn't run any better than Flash, sometimes even worse, and on my PC, there's no GPU-acceleration.
How many videos can you watch on a site that are not on youtube already?? Lots of videos on the net are already on youtube. So an ipad or iphone/ipod touch has a few videos covered. Not unless its porn you are looking for
*runs away*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
My primary use for Flash, is to playback web videos BTW, and things like Hulu desktop run really, really well. I wouldn't mind Hulu playback on my phone.
Hulu does mostly the networks shows right? People still watch CBs, NBC, FOX and ABC? Lost...How i met your mother and that show with Charlie Sheen. Hulu is just as overrated as the same garbage said about people that like Apple.


Heck, i have complaints about apple. The headphones apple makes are garbage and the mouses that apple makes make me want to switch back to a MS intillimouse. Apple does over-exaggerate in their commercials but so do the haters. Nothings perfect. Most people aren't "fanboys" it is just other "fanboys" of other companies need someone to argue with to make themselves feel better.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
  #32
Pnut
Registered User
 
Pnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: w. suckic
Country: United States
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
^ well, I'm a pretty big Apple fan (work on an IMAC and at home have a MBP & iPhone), but I have no problem being critical of the product. The problem isn't that Apple fans are all stupid or zombies, it's that 'most' people who want to argue with them do it from just as ignorant an angle. You can go on all you want about how they regurgitate the same spew as the next person, but that's exactly what the counter points are from the anti-Apple crowd. Read any Apple vs PC discussion online and you'll find about as much intellectual integrity (on both sides) as a discussion between Israelis and Palestinians about the Middle East.

The word Apple is simply flame bait and both sides have a lot of trouble maintaining any level of objectivity or critical thought.
Wow, Fruity pants said it much better than I did.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
  #33
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
The impression I always got from Apple is that Flash doesn't work perfectly with a mobile device, so that is why it was never included. Apple won't release it unless it is perfect. (I'm not an Apple fan BTW)
iTunes for Windows begs to differ

Such a piece of ****

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:11 AM
  #34
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Hulu does mostly the networks shows right? People still watch CBs, NBC, FOX and ABC? Lost...How i met your mother and that show with Charlie Sheen.
Yes, people watch those shows. In fact SEVERAL MILLION people watch those shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Is it a new phone that does everything well except call people?
...? If this is a shot at the Android by lumping it in with the iPhone... yeah...

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:14 AM
  #35
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,210
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Yes, people watch those shows. In fact SEVERAL MILLION people watch those shows.



...? If this is a shot at the Android by lumping it in with the iPhone... yeah...
I have no problems making calls with my iPhone...

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:47 AM
  #36
unifiedtheory
Registered User
 
unifiedtheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burnaby, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The problem is, most apple fans are just puppets. They regurgitate the same spew the next apple guy does. Bottom line is, they like apple because of a logo, and just can't admit that the reason they like something is cause it's gimmicky rather than actually good.

Sorry I just find Apple is all about gimmicks and marketing. I do like the iPod and all because other mp3 players I had owned in the past broke for stupid reasons or had dumb defects, the one ipod I got lasted a long time. However in general I just find they're all about the gimmicks and their fans can't just accept that they like their products due to being a fanboy, not due to logical reasoning.

Ever notice how Apple can do no wrong? It's like not a single one of their products are ever bad or overpriced according to people like Coldplay. (Not trying to call you out bro, but you're the only one on here I know right off the top of my head)

And it is true, you guys never can admit one fault on an apple product, let alone if it's bad in general. People say it's overpriced, you'll say it's better than PC, even though way back when, I would be able to make a hackintosh with the same hardware for half the cost. (Granted I do realize now they've lowered their prices) But you get my point, Apple people are Apple people. PC people aren't all about names, hell most of us are happy with our clones, with our linux/winblows/hackintosh os, but with Apple fans if it isn't Apple, it simply doesn't compare, which imo isn't the case in the slightest.

People would basically argue that because their mac has an apple logo, it's better than the hackintosh I paid like half the price for which has better hardware on every level, yeah ok.
I find this quite hilarious.

I'm not a puppet. I got sick to DEATH of PC issues. I bought an iMac 6 months ago and it is VASTLY superior to any PC experience I'd ever had. I don't follow the "Apple can do no wrong" jibberish. I think the iPad is a piece of crap that had no real use to anyone. No one makes flawless products.

Call me a fan boy if you please. I find it funny though that if someone likes something they are a fanboy if it goes against a certain persons opinion.

My opinion is simple. I grew weary of giving M$ anymore of my money for products that constantly disappointed me. My Mac is flawless. It runs everything I need to run, it runs it very well and it is unobtrusive. I have an iPhone, not because I'm a fanboy but because I wanted a replacement for my piece of **** Blackberry (my lord does RIM make garbage). "It does not have Flash"...who really gives a ****? I've NEVER needed to see something bad enough in Flash to make me want to scrap my iPhone. If I need to see it, I view it at home.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:24 AM
  #37
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I have no problems making calls with my iPhone...
It's a well documented problem associated to the iPhone in the US because of spotty/overloaded AT&T coverage.

Isn't a problem generally associated to Android phones given that the most popular Android phones to date are on Verizon's rock solid network.

That's what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I find this quite hilarious.

I'm not a puppet. I got sick to DEATH of PC issues. I bought an iMac 6 months ago and it is VASTLY superior to any PC experience I'd ever had. I don't follow the "Apple can do no wrong" jibberish. I think the iPad is a piece of crap that had no real use to anyone. No one makes flawless products.

Call me a fan boy if you please. I find it funny though that if someone likes something they are a fanboy if it goes against a certain persons opinion.

My opinion is simple. I grew weary of giving M$ anymore of my money for products that constantly disappointed me. My Mac is flawless. It runs everything I need to run, it runs it very well and it is unobtrusive. I have an iPhone, not because I'm a fanboy but because I wanted a replacement for my piece of **** Blackberry (my lord does RIM make garbage). "It does not have Flash"...who really gives a ****? I've NEVER needed to see something bad enough in Flash to make me want to scrap my iPhone. If I need to see it, I view it at home.
My PC runs flawlessly, I can therefor use your argument for PC. By proof by contradiction, you cannot claim that Mac in all situation is superior to PC.

Blackberry still outsells the iPhones in wordwide sales so I think a bunch of people disagree with your "BB are garbage" statement.

And about Flash, it's not about making you want to scrap your iPhone, it's about offering something that is integral to a full internet experience that the iPhone/iPad can't offer.

Yet another case of never had it, never got the opportunity to use it therefor I don't need it. Yet another fallacy.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.