HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Richards and The Prince of Wales Trophy

Old
05-25-2010, 12:59 AM
FilthyPhlyer

vCash: 500
Richards and The Prince of Wales Trophy

I don't know about you guys but I was happy to see Richards accept that trophy without hesitation, instead of standing there not touching it like that will really change anything. Just a small example as to the kind of hard nosed guy he is. Good for him. He and his team deserve it and I don't blame for wanting to pick that huge thing up and taking it home with him. Now we just have to win the bigger one.

FilthyPhlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:02 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

I just like how he went about it. No on-ice celebration with the thing, he took the picture and then scooped it up and charged off the ice, high fived a few guys in the hallway and disappeared into the locker room.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Black View Post
I just like how he went about it. No on-ice celebration with the thing, he took the picture and then scooped it up and charged off the ice, high fived a few guys in the hallway and disappeared into the locker room.
Yeah, it's the perfect attitude. They won the trophy so of course he should take it, but it's not the ultimate goal so there's no need for celebration.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Flyers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Black View Post
Yup, I think he did the perfect thing. He respected the trophy enough to pick it up, take the picture, and carry it to the dressing room. At the same time, he kept it short and sweet and there were no on-ice celebrations with the trophy because in reality this is not the trophy we want.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:15 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Laviolette: "Richie, grab the trophy, take the picture quickly, and then everyone meet in the locker room. We're going to have a little chat."

That's what I was thinking.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:18 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
So glad he picked up the trophy.

You make your own destiny; no need for superstition.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I think the whole don't touch it is stupid and disrespects the game. Clarence Campbell may not have liked the Bullies, but he did a lot for the game of hockey. The Prince of Wales, well, he gave us Princess Diana, I guess. Oh, wrong prince. But the trophies are to respect the builders of this great game.
Should players not touch the Art Ross? Or the Vezina? After all, they aren't the Stanley Cup, either. I agree you don't touch the Cup until it is yours, but the Campbell Bowl and POW Trophy have been won by those teams. (so happy I got through that without profanity, stupid efgijbfgeibijpndefing fake superstitions)

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:19 AM
ilovetheflyers8

In the post game interview it sounded like he asked some of the other players what he should do, Gagne, and Briere were both in favor.

edit: Or that's what it seemed like to me, but I may have misunderstood.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 05-25-2010 at 01:31 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:25 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

To continue with the knob slobbing...he seriously did handle it pretty much perfectly. I loved it. I've always hated the awkward moment when players don't touch it...the Toews moment for example was terrible to watch. It's an NHL tradition to give out this trophy, show some ****ing respect and do a proper photo and acceptance of the thing like a grown man...it doesn't have to be a big celebration, Richards did it perfectly.

I know Lindros did the no touching thing in '97, but I could never remember if it was said at the time that he was the first to do so. Tonight, I was watching "The Daily Line" (which kind of sucks, but at least they give hockey some attention) after the game, and Shanahan was on there and stated that Lindros was in fact the first to ever do it. If he's correct, it's pretty strange that it caught on considering how those Finals proceeded to turn out for Lindros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
So glad he picked up the trophy.

You make your own destiny; no need for superstition.
Exactly. That alone is enough reason to do it.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:34 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

That and the fact that what kind of curse would it be if neither team touched it or both teams touched....somebody's gotta win.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
To continue with the knob slobbing...he seriously did handle it pretty much perfectly. I loved it. I've always hated the awkward moment when players don't touch it...the Toews moment for example was terrible to watch. It's an NHL tradition to give out this trophy, show some ****ing respect and do a proper photo and acceptance of the thing like a grown man...it doesn't have to be a big celebration, Richards did it perfectly.

I know Lindros did the no touching thing in '97, but I could never remember if it was said at the time that he was the first to do so. Tonight, I was watching "The Daily Line" (which kind of sucks, but at least they give hockey some attention) after the game, and Shanahan was on there and stated that Lindros was in fact the first to ever do it. If he's correct, it's pretty strange that it caught on considering how those Finals proceeded to turn out for Lindros.
The Toews' moment was terrible to watch? They asked him to go over and accept the trophy, so he did. They asked him if he wanted to pick it up for a photo, and he said "No, that's not what I want. We haven't won anything yet."

These were his comments when asked about not picking up the trophy after the game:

"To me, it's not being superstitious," Toews said. "It's saying we're here for bigger and better things."

"We're just happy about winning this round and moving on. That's what it's all about. We're happy about that and have nothing to celebrate. No reason to pick up any hardware yet, because it's meaningless to us."

So now you know.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:41 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
The Toews' moment was terrible to watch? They asked him to go over and accept the trophy, so he did. They asked him if he wanted to pick it up for a photo, and he said "No, that's not what I want. We haven't won anything yet."

These were his comments when asked about not picking up the trophy after the game:

"To me, it's not being superstitious," Toews said. "It's saying we're here for bigger and better things."

"We're just happy about winning this round and moving on. That's what it's all about. We're happy about that and have nothing to celebrate. No reason to pick up any hardware yet, because it's meaningless to us."

So now you know.
You really got your panties in a bunch of that? All he was saying was that it looked awkward...which it did.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
You really got your panties in a bunch of that? All he was saying was that it looked awkward...which it did.
It wasn't him saying it was awkward that got me, actually. It was awkward. His following comments are what kind of bugged me:

Quote:
show some ****ing respect and do a proper photo and acceptance of the thing like a grown man...
It had nothing to do with respect, or acting like a grown man. It had to do with a team, and their captain especially, feeling like they have not won anything yet. Personally, **** the media and the trophy presentation being "awkward". I think it's really stupid to present them with a trophy after the conference finals to begin with. It's a consolation prize to the LOSER of the SCF, nothing more. I wouldn't pickup the damn trophy either.

Old
05-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:

So now you know.

God, could he BE anymore stoic and likable?

Toews is such a wooden indian. It sounds like he read those lines out of a handbook on hockey gallantry. What a dickface.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:51 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:

So now you know.
Lol, so now I know? Like anyone would need an explanation about the no touching thing. I can't believe you just wasted your time typing/copy and pasting all that. Thanks for the totally misguided effort, but shockingly I still think watching Toews stand there uncomfortably with his hand on his hip while the other dude uncomfortably held the trophy all by his lonesome as they both uncomfortably posed for a photo was uncomfortable to watch.

Quote:
It had nothing to do with respect, or acting like a grown man. It had to do with a team, and their captain especially, feeling like they have not won anything yet. Personally, **** the media and the trophy presentation being "awkward". I think it's really stupid to present them with a trophy after the conference finals to begin with. It's a consolation prize to the LOSER of the SCF, nothing more. I wouldn't pickup the damn trophy either.
Look bud, I get that you've got your panties in a bunch over what you perceive as your beloved captain being slandered....but, newsflash...this "no touching" practice has existed long before Toews, and I've disliked it all along. My comments are not specifically directed at Toews...everyone else I'm sure gathered that.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:56 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Very happy with how he handled it. Forget the silly curse, it isn't our goal, so no celebration needed.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
God, could he BE anymore stoic and likable?

Toews is such a wooden indian. It sounds like he read those lines out of a handbook on hockey gallantry. What a dickface.
Toews the Dwight Schrute lookalike is like a walking hockey cliche. His stoic demeanor just feels so forced, like he's doing it because he feels like he has to. Just seems like the most boring guy, no personality whatsoever. Richie sent out a public service announcement about how you take a team and carry it to victory tonight. I'll take him as my captain any day.

So cool because you didn't take the Campbell Trophy. Everyone was so impressed. Get real. Wanting the Stanley Cup doesn't mean you have to stand there next to the trophy like an awkward dick and then skate away without even carrying it into the locker room.

I'm tired of the Blackhawks and I'm tired of Hawks fans that didn't exist 3 years ago. To me they're no better than the Penguins fans and their team is no more likable. I hope we shut them up for good.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Look bud, I get that you've got your panties in a bunch over what you perceive as your beloved captain being slandered....but, newsflash...this "no touching" practice has existed long before Toews, and I've disliked it all along. My comments are not specifically directed at Toews...everyone else I'm sure gathered that.
It's all good. I've always disliked how the NHL forces these guys to accept a trophy before the Stanley Cup, as well. So, whatever. I mean, I could understand it when they were actually the Wales and Campbell conferences... But, now it just seems like an unnecessary tradition, that should probably be done away with, or saved for after the SCF are finished.

Old
05-25-2010, 02:22 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
It's all good. I've always disliked how the NHL forces these guys to accept a trophy before the Stanley Cup, as well.
Pez, they won the right to represent their conference in the Finals. You get a trophy for that.

Toews would probably refuse to touch the Stanley Cup, then say something noble like, "My ULTIMATE goal is to win 4 cups. I'm not there yet. This is meaningless to me."

Toews is a tool.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:
Pez, they won the right to represent their conference in the Finals. You get a trophy for that.

Toews would probably refuse to touch the Stanley Cup, then say something noble like, "My ULTIMATE goal is to win 4 cups. I'm not there yet. This is meaningless to me."

Toews is a tool.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:39 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I still don't understand the curse, but this kind of shows that curses like this don't frighten a real warrior of a player.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:22 AM
FilthyPhlyer

Quote:
It's all good. I've always disliked how the NHL forces these guys to accept a trophy before the Stanley Cup, as well. So, whatever. I mean, I could understand it when they were actually the Wales and Campbell conferences... But, now it just seems like an unnecessary tradition, that should probably be done away with, or saved for after the SCF are finished.
There are some many other teams - like the Sharks - that would love to be forced to accept that trophy. It takes 30 seconds to do it. NHL players who don't take it should know better. For all the NHL does for them, they can do this one small thing for the NHL. Granted it's not the main trophy they want, but being the best team from your conference is quite an accomplishment and worthy of accolades.

Edit: Plus, both teams won at home so it's a nice treat for the home fans who've been living and dieing by their teams for 82 games plus the playoffs.

Last edited by FilthyPhlyer: 05-25-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old
05-25-2010, 03:52 AM
dookie88

Quote:

Toews is a tool.
You're making yourself look stupid.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:55 AM
FilthyPhlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
No need to name call man, especially since most of it was sarcasm.

Old
05-25-2010, 04:52 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Maybe he goes overboard. But no more so than all the Hawks fans & bitter Habs fans who are going on and on and on about how incredibly easily Chicago will sweep this series and how lucky the Flyers will be if they can even come within a goal of winning a game.

stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote