HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players to the NHL after this championship?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2010, 08:24 PM
  #26
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
Paajarvi-Svensson, Omark, Harju for Sweden
Sulzer, Gogulla for Germany
Ambuhl, Gerber, Josi, Stephan for Switzerland
Gogulla is already playing in NA, he was with the Portland Pirates of the AHL and has a chance to play on the Sabres next season.

From what I've heard MPS is going to play another season in Sweden before he makes the jump over to North America.

Sulzer has been in NA for the last 3 years already and played about a quarter of last season for the Preds. He has a 1-way contract with them again for next season and has a good shot at playing in the NHL next season.

Ambuhl played last season in Hartford and from what I'm told he barely looked like an AHL player most nights, playing on the 4th line. I hear that he has the talent, but the size isn't there.

Stephan already played his entry level contract between Dallas and Iowa and wasn't offered an extension, so I doubt he has much of a future in NA. He has a contract for next season in Switzerland and I doubt he will leave to play in the AHL again. Its not worth it for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon89 View Post
Jagr making an appearance back to the NHL?
Nope, he signed an extension in the KHL a few weeks ago.

smitty10 is offline  
Old
05-24-2010, 08:48 PM
  #27
Tachycineta
Moderator
 
Tachycineta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 4,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Gogulla has apparently decided to return to the Cologne Sharks.
http://www.eishockeynews.de/nachrich...richt_id=11673
That's too bad- I was hoping to see him another year with Portland and see where he could go from there. He played solid top 6 minutes.

__________________
2009-2010 Slugs-Playoffs! Go, Sabres!

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 01:11 AM
  #28
zorz
Registered User
 
zorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,913
vCash: 500
Why would any of them want to play NHL? They can probably get more money in Russia and besides that all teams with majority of NHL players were beaten by KHL'ers

zorz is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 04:27 AM
  #29
Czechexpert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
The Czechs with their win may generate some interest although I am not overly excited.

Klepis was a first round bust but there appears to be a player there. Caslava is 31 but he can get in passing and shooting lanes and could fill a hole if he wants to take a run at it.

Vampola spent too much time on his back or belly for a guy 200 pounds.

Guys like Blatak, Rachunek, Kaspar, Hubacek or Novotny are good enough to play in NHL even if some of them(Hubacek and Novotny) in limited roles(fourth liners) but they would get less money than in KHL. And I really doubt that their agents(Blatak, Rachunek) would recommend them to take their chance in the best league in the world but for much less money than in KHL. Contrary to their Swedish or North American fellows, many of Czech agents honour money only...
Actually Rachunek and Novotny has already signed contract for next season there. Hubacek is under contract in Czech Extraleague.

Klepis lacks heart and determination to make it to NHL. Caslava lacks mobility and as stay at home D he is not physical enough(he is soft for his size actually).

Czechexpert is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 05:12 AM
  #30
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Andersson is big AND a tremendous skater. Can definitely see him being of interest to a few NHL teams. Time will tell if his game translates.

As for Persson, I felt he was the worst player on the ice in the games against the Czechs and the Germans, which I watched live. At times he was brutal.... weak on his skates, caught doing circles just trying to keep up. Not sure if he was the guy who iced the puck with a no-look backhand attempt at the empty net with 14 seconds to go against the Czechs? I thought it was him.

That was just a sample size though...
Yeah, I like him a lot too...

...but in terms of skating I would be a tad suspicious. Would his skating still be such a "big" strength in the NHL?

Over the years I've more and more started to notice just how much some guys can be "big ice skaters" compared to "NA ice skaters". Especially when seeing players going from like the SEL to the AHL and comparing that with AHLers going to the SEL.

Björn Melin and Miikaa Hannula going from the SEL to the AHL and Corey Larose going from the AHL to the SEL -- are good examples.

Björn Melin in the SEL weren't exactly a stand out, but he was very powerful when he got his legs moving and pretty much a couple of times per game (3-4 years ago when he peaked) could really take the puck to the net with speed. Then I saw him 3-4 times in the AHL, not once were he able to get into thoose situations. He looked slow constantly.

It was the same with Hannula. A great skater in the SEL before and after playing in the AHL. In the AHL? He wasn't at all able to use his speed in the same way.

Corey Larose. 80 pts in 60 games in the AHL. There he was always all over the ice, always moving his legs and creating openings. In the SEL? He couldn't keep up with the pace. Looked like a horrible skater.

In Europe you can stand out with your by being able to keep speed under your skates at all times, like Hannula, or by being able to build up great top speed, like Melin. On the NA ice, its much more about being able to accelerate fast. You just don't get room nor time to do what you can do on the big ice.

Andersson isn't a copy of either Melin nor Hannula. But he still needs some room to get going. I am not 100% sure his skating is going to be the same strength in NA as it is in Europe.

Ola is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 05:27 AM
  #31
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,502
vCash: 500
Paajarvi-Svensson, Omark, Persson, Andersson, Markstrom (if they trade Vokoun) for Sweden
Endras, Holzer for Germany
Stephan for Switzerland
Juhamatti Aaltonen, Vehanen for Finland




and Gogulla comes back to Germany. He signed with cologne

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 06:03 AM
  #32
Maverick41
Registered User
 
Maverick41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
and Gogulla comes back to Germany. He signed with cologne
I don't get this guy. I mean I understand, that he will probably make more money here, but, I cannot fathom why he won't give it at least another year.
It really makes the guy look bad. So it doesn't work out right away, so he gives up and goes for the bigger contract at the moment.

At least that's what it seems like to me. Or does anyone know if there is more to it?

Maverick41 is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 06:08 AM
  #33
ts
Registered User
 
ts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
At least that's what it seems like to me. Or does anyone know if there is more to it?
There's a thread on the Sabres board, maybe one of them can anwer your question:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=779816

ts is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 08:17 AM
  #34
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
I don't get this guy. I mean I understand, that he will probably make more money here, but, I cannot fathom why he won't give it at least another year.
It really makes the guy look bad. So it doesn't work out right away, so he gives up and goes for the bigger contract at the moment.

At least that's what it seems like to me. Or does anyone know if there is more to it?
Yeah, I agree. The guy should have given it another shot. Look at micheal leighton, he's been busting his ass off in the minors now for almost 10 years, has been playing backup, got waived several times and now he's got a shot as a starter at the stanley cup!

Some of these guys give up way too easily.

koh19 is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 08:29 AM
  #35
ts
Registered User
 
ts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
Yeah, I agree. The guy should have given it another shot. Look at micheal leighton, he's been busting his ass off in the minors now for almost 10 years, has been playing backup, got waived several times and now he's got a shot as a starter at the stanley cup!

Some of these guys give up way too easily.
Leighton is a bad example IMO, as he is playing in his home country, D. Seidenberg oder Sulzer might be better examples.

I agree though, I'm surprised too, it was his fearst year abroad, and I would have liked to see him develop in AHL and maybe NHL instead of DEL. From a hockey play of view he should have stayed another year to adjust properly and give it another shot.
But I don't know why he want to come back, maye he has met a nice German girl, misses his relatives or can't connect to the culture. Or it's just about the money, certainly a big possibility.

Whatever, good news for Cologne if they can afford him in the long run, another good & young German player for them.

ts is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 08:44 AM
  #36
Brun0
Registered User
 
Brun0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
For finland it should be

Juha-Matti Aaltonen, Vehanen, Vatanen(well maybe not this year but next), maybe Pihlström and Lehterä?

Brun0 is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 08:48 AM
  #37
FreakyEuro*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gladsaxe, Denmark
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMe View Post
Roman Cervenka expected to get a contract in the NHL. I would give him one as a baggage handler. Maybe as a masseur if he shows some talent...

Jokes aside - Yeah, we won, but his contribution was marginal. In the last three matches, I always had a bet on with my friends that if he scores, I'm gonna do some crazy stuff...luckily, he didn't surprise me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinson View Post
I think we all had our expectations a bit too high. The guy's got talent and works pretty hard, he just needs to leave our league. But I have to agree- he's not an NHL-level player at this point.
Červenka is a huge talent, much bigger than people realize. He was just worn out this season. Won the scoring in Extraliga by a landslide while surrounded by sub-par teammates and carried the team into the semifinals. Until the end he still got a shot at the point score record of Czech Extraliga and finished 3 or 4 points shy of it. He won the play-offs scoring title as well with 24 points. The next guy had 18. He is 24 years old and had no match in the league. He lodged too many minutes, played both Olympics and WCH. He just had his fuel tank empty by the end of the season.

He has speed, vision, he can both score and pass (oh man can he pass), he can stickhandle, apart from his smallish stature he has no disadvantage. And even that he turn into advantage with his elusiveness.

He is not a top6 NHL forward yet, but he sure has the potential and for teams like Toronto he would be a steal. One year to get accustomed to the NHL and he might become a top 6 forward in some team in need of quality.

I'm sure he'd even thrive as a 3rd line center with some wingers that have speed and can play more than dump and chase.

All in all, his talent is wasted both in Czech extraliga and KHL. I hope some GM of some weaker NHL teams will realize that. The problem is the best NHL teams obviously don't need him and the worse teams wouldn't be where they are if their GMs were up to something. So the most likely scenario is he'll get lost somewhere in Siberia and his talent will never fully develop.

Next year that useless Hadamczik will take over the national team and Červenka (Růžička's product as he is) will never see the national jersey again. (Oh and we will be relegated and will play in 2012 against teams like Ukraine, Poland, Great Britain and Netherlands in group B)

FreakyEuro* is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 08:58 AM
  #38
Que Sera Sera
Registered User
 
Que Sera Sera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
I'm thinking Germany's Sulzer will be back.

Que Sera Sera is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 09:14 AM
  #39
babyshamble
Registered User
 
babyshamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oslo/Bangkok
Country: Norway
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
From Norway: Jonas Holøs has signed a 2 year Entry level contract with Colorado, MZA will sign a 2 year entry level contract with New York Rangers and Patrick Thoresen will probably get an offer from the Flyers.

babyshamble is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 09:17 AM
  #40
FreakyEuro*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gladsaxe, Denmark
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshamble View Post
From Norway: Jonas Holøs has signed a 2 year Entry level contract with Colorado, MZA will sign a 2 year entry level contract with New York Rangers and Patrick Thoresen will probably get an offer from the Flyers.
MZA with Rangers? Do you happen to have a link? It can be even Norwegian, thanks.

FreakyEuro* is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 09:22 AM
  #41
FreakyEuro*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gladsaxe, Denmark
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
I don't get this guy. I mean I understand, that he will probably make more money here, but, I cannot fathom why he won't give it at least another year.
It really makes the guy look bad. So it doesn't work out right away, so he gives up and goes for the bigger contract at the moment.

At least that's what it seems like to me. Or does anyone know if there is more to it?
Maybe he's a "team first" guy. Playing in Germany will give him opportunity to play all the friendlies and tournaments German national team takes part of (with Switzerland, Slovakia, etc.) and will allow him to prepare with the core of the team one month before the world championship starts. I mean look how far Germany got with a team play, why not further next year.

Maybe he had to choose whether to sit most of the next season (or to get worn out in AHL) or play first line in Cologne, for better money too. Easy choice, if you ask me.

FreakyEuro* is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 09:41 AM
  #42
Rexor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brno
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
Next year that useless Hadamczik will take over the national team and Červenka (Růžička's product as he is) will never see the national jersey again. (Oh and we will be relegated and will play in 2012 against teams like Ukraine, Poland, Great Britain and Netherlands in group B)

I guess sometimes it's better to take your predictions with a grain of salt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
Russians are the most loaded team on the tournament, they beat in a waltz tempo anybody who dresses up against them and they take no prisoners. They haven't lost a single match yet. It's just a matter of score.

Swedes wouldn't have beaten Russians anyway. Their record against Russians is disastrous, they can't beat Russia to save their lives even if the teams are pretty equal and it's not even the case this years. Russians are lightyears ahead of anybody else on this tournament.

Russians will complete a golden hat-trick, a fabulous accomplishment last performed by glorious Czech golden generation in 1999-2001 and it is very symbolic Czechs will be part of it again. Just not the part they would like to be ... sigh.
Červenka goes to Omsk. It might be a good move for him - a better, more demanding league, though not as physical as the NHL. He strugless when forced to play with less time and space as was shown in this year's international season. Hopefully the KHL wil help him to fix his flaws and at the same time it won't stifle his assets (which the NHL would do right now I'm afraid.). He's got great hockey sense, reminds me of a poor man's Gretzky. (Please take this with a grain of salt, too.)


Last edited by Rexor: 05-25-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Rexor is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
  #43
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Stephan already played his entry level contract between Dallas and Iowa and wasn't offered an extension, so I doubt he has much of a future in NA. He has a contract for next season in Switzerland and I doubt he will leave to play in the AHL again. Its not worth it for him.
I thought I remembered somewhere that Stephan wanted to come back to the NHL. I hope he does and he does well, he got screwed by the Stars. But you are absolutely right he won't come back to play in the AHL.

vofty is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 11:59 AM
  #44
Old Man Jags
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post

I guess sometimes it's better to take your predictions with a grain of salt:



Freaky Euro's predictions are pleasingly predictable: The Czech team will lose. Pretty much always the same prediction, the only variation being the manner of our loss (embarrassing, clear, close etc). Thank God the actual players have a somewhat more positive attitude, otherwise they might as well have looked at the roster, decided they are not good enough and just given up in the quarter finals. Or ***** themselves in the final against all those Russian stars and just conceded before the first puck was played.

Czech hockey has structural problems - the bad results of the junior teams in recent years are unfortunately no coincidence. The fact that the team now won these championships cannot mask that in the long run, the likelihood of advancing beyond the quarter finals will likely keep decreasing for the Czech team unless some very radical measures are taken.

However, I had a pretty good feeling before the tournament that this team could do reasonably well. I would certainly not have dared to hope for gold, but they got some fine results in the build-up to the championships and nobody expected anything from them. The Czechs traditionally tend to do well when they are the underdogs, though after the Swiss and Norwegian losses I was getting worried (but still had a good feeling about Canada - after all, the team had beaten the Swedes and had therefore shown that they were capable of beat top teams at these championships (even though the Swedes have been beating the Czechs every time they played them at the WC in recent years)).

Also, if you look at previous championships it is pretty clear that the line between success and failure is often very slim. It's all about that one quarter final game, and often it could have gone the other way. Even in the Olympics (where the Czechs played with less heart than in these championships) if a Czech player had not lost his helmet, the first and deciding Finnish goal would likely not have happened, and then who knows? The lacklustre Czechs might have ended up in the semis, and then anything coul have happened. Or they could have very easily lost against Latvia in the preceding round and returned home with the worst result in Czech an Czechoslovak Olympic history (and a loss to Canada in this tournament would have had the same result for the world championship winning team). Considering this history I am always amazed when people make quite confident predictions about their team losing.

Old Man Jags is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
  #45
Rexor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brno
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Jags View Post
Freaky Euro's predictions are pleasingly predictable: The Czech team will lose. Pretty much always the same prediction, the only variation being the manner of our loss (embarrassing, clear, close etc). Thank God the actual players have a somewhat more positive attitude, otherwise they might as well have looked at the roster, decided they are not good enough and just given up in the quarter finals. Or ***** themselves in the final against all those Russian stars and just conceded before the first puck was played.

Czech hockey has structural problems - the bad results of the junior teams in recent years are unfortunately no coincidence. The fact that the team now won these championships cannot mask that in the long run, the likelihood of advancing beyond the quarter finals will likely keep decreasing for the Czech team unless some very radical measures are taken.

However, I had a pretty good feeling before the tournament that this team could do reasonably well. I would certainly not have dared to hope for gold, but they got some fine results in the build-up to the championships and nobody expected anything from them. The Czechs traditionally tend to do well when they are the underdogs, though after the Swiss and Norwegian losses I was getting worried (but still had a good feeling about Canada - after all, the team had beaten the Swedes and had therefore shown that they were capable of beat top teams at these championships (even though the Swedes have been beating the Czechs every time they played them at the WC in recent years)).

Also, if you look at previous championships it is pretty clear that the line between success and failure is often very slim. It's all about that one quarter final game, and often it could have gone the other way. Even in the Olympics (where the Czechs played with less heart than in these championships) if a Czech player had not lost his helmet, the first and deciding Finnish goal would likely not have happened, and then who knows? The lacklustre Czechs might have ended up in the semis, and then anything coul have happened. Or they could have very easily lost against Latvia in the preceding round and returned home with the worst result in Czech an Czechoslovak Olympic history (and a loss to Canada in this tournament would have had the same result for the world championship winning team). Considering this history I am always amazed when people make quite confident predictions about their team losing.
This is totally right. Even that - as Freaky Euro would say - "glorious Czech golden generation" wouldn't make it without a little bit of luck. In 1999, the team lost 1-6 to Russia in a group game. Thus, in order to advance to the quarterfinals, we needed: first, defeat our long-time Nemesis Sweden in the last group game; and second, we needed Slovakia to at least draw their game with Russia. Earlier in the tournament, the Russians beat us 6-1 and we beat Slovaks in a blowout: 8-2. So it was pretty unlikely that this much needed scenario would actually happen. But against all odds, the Slovaks managed to draw their game with Russia, 2-2. The Russians actually scored the game winning goal, but right after the final buzz so that it was disallowed.
In the semifinals, we beat Canada in the shoot-out. Jan Hlaváč scored the gold-medal winning goal in OT against Finland.
In 2001, the semifinals game against Sweden was almost identical to that from this year. The Czechs drew it later in the third period then won in the shoot-outs. In the finals against Finland, we were down 0-2 after two periods but eventually tied it and Martin Procházka scored the game winning goal in OT.

And of course, I agree that Czech hockey has deep structural problems. Our junior teams are not competitive. Even though we are still able to build an impressively strong senior "A-team", the future (after Sochi) can be dark if the junior system doesn't undercome some major changes.


Last edited by Rexor: 05-25-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Rexor is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 12:39 PM
  #46
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Andreas Engqvist could get a spot with the Habs next year, they could use his big frame down the middle.

There's talk that the Habs will bring over Alexei Emelin this summer as well, perhaps as a 7th D as I don't see him agreeing to go to the AHL.

montreal is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 02:42 PM
  #47
Dfire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Dietrich thinking about going back to Düsseldorf is a greater dissapointment than Gogulla returning to Cologne imo. Dietrich was great especially in the first few games. Gogulla has said that given what a hockey player makes in the AHL he can't be too patient. I kind of understand it. Waiting 10 years isn't possible for a european player.

Krueger might go to Carolina. Endras will probably stay in the DEL but Sulzer will get more games in the NHL next season but maybe not with Nashville.

Dfire is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
  #48
ts
Registered User
 
ts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfire View Post
Dietrich thinking about going back to Düsseldorf is a greater dissapointment than Gogulla returning to Cologne imo. Dietrich was great especially in the first few games. Gogulla has said that given what a hockey player makes in the AHL he can't be too patient. I kind of understand it. Waiting 10 years isn't possible for a european player.
Sure, but he could wait till after Bufalos training camp. He's a young proven (at DEL level) forward who still count's against the under 25 year rule and doesn't need a foreigner license. He shouldn't have any problems at all to find a financial potent team in the DEL, even in November/December.

I don't hink he'll ever has a chance at the NHL without more AHL seasonig so if he aims for a dircet shot at the NHL he won't ever have a shot at the big league IMO.

ts is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
  #49
Dominus
Believe to see!
 
Dominus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moosetown
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brun0 View Post
For finland it should be

Juha-Matti Aaltonen, Vehanen, Vatanen(well maybe not this year but next), maybe Pihlström and Lehterä?
Vehanen definitely, Vatanen in 2-3 years, Pihlström maybe. Aaltonen and Lehterä? I can't see it. They can get a chance but I'll doubt they stick in the NHL. Both are too soft and Lehterä way too slow. Though I didn't think Ville Leino would make it either and now he's playing in the Stanley Cup finals...

Dominus is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
  #50
Old Man Jags
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post
This is totally right. Even that - as Freaky Euro would say - "glorious Czech golden generation" wouldn't make it without a little bit of luck. In 1999, the team lost 1-6 to Russia in a group game. Thus, in order to advance to the quarterfinals, we needed: first, defeat our long-time Nemesis Sweden in the last group game; and second, we needed Slovakia to at least draw their game with Russia. Earlier in the tournament, the Russians beat us 6-1 and we beat Slovaks in a blowout: 8-2. So it was pretty unlikely that this much needed scenario would actually happen. But against all odds, the Slovaks managed to draw their game with Russia, 2-2. The Russians actually scored the game winning goal, but right after the final buzz so that it was disallowed.
In the semifinals, we beat Canada in the shoot-out. Jan Hlaváč scored the gold-medal winning goal in OT against Finland.
In 2001, the semifinals game against Sweden was almost identical to that from this year. The Czechs drew it later in the third period then won in the shoot-outs. In the finals against Finland, we were down 0-2 after two periods but eventually tied it and Martin Procházka scored the game winning goal in OT.

And of course, I agree that Czech hockey has deep structural problems. Our junior teams are not competitive. Even though we are still able to build an impressively strong senior "A-team", the future (after Sochi) can be dark if the junior system doesn't undercome some major changes.
I agree with all this. Though one thing I am wondering about is our finals statistic. The Czech Republic played in 7 gold medal games and won 6 of them. That is an incredible win/loss record and much better than any other team's. I wonder where this psychological strength comes from to win all close games. Mostly luck would be a real statistical anomaly. And the game we lost we lost 4-0 and had a team that nobody would have expected to make it into the final. (In some ways like this year )

Old Man Jags is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.