HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Freebie Hockey helmet with cage

Old
05-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Freebie Hockey helmet with cage

hey cool I got a phone call from a friend who told me about a yardsale that was 'Free for the Taking'.

So I went and checked it out not expecting to find hockey stuff, found some hockey gear spread out on the lawn and everything was for kids except this helmet and cage. The cage was not mounted to the helmet so i put it together.

Lots of you guys in here keep stating to go with the cage for protection and you get used to it if one is not used to black bars on a cage. I have not used any with black bars before, only the white and silver type and hated every minute of them.

So Tuesday night hockey I will wear this and see if I can get used to it. It would be nice if I could for sure but as explained in here a few times I grew up not using anything, tried the white bar kind that had a thicker bars to it and hated it. maybe this one will work out.

Currently I use a visor, the newer Bauer HS22 straight cut one which rules in all ways. It was the first protection that felt like I wasn't wearing anything (no condom jokes pleeeez lol).

In any case the helmet is an HH4000L and fits me, I have a black one just like it so now I have a match.

The rest of the gear was kids stuff, gloves, shinguards etc. I left it there obviously.

I did grab a 12,000 BTU air conditioner for free that works beautifully as well as a weightlifting bar with 120lbs in weights. I am going to use a small portion of that weight to strengthen my left bicep that I tore last summer.

Anyhewdles freebies rule it especially when they are for decent items .... the AC unit looks new too and the hockey helmet does as well.

The old man just wanted all this junk out of there that was in his barn.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Ampersand

Erm.... shouldn't it have those clear ear piece covers on the sides of the helmet?

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:56 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
Erm.... shouldn't it have those clear ear piece covers on the sides of the helmet?
I removed mine. I find the ear pieces make it harder to hear team mates on the ice.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:09 AM
TinofGrizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
18+ leagues the plastic covers are optional.

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Hockeyfan68

Well I tried it out and found it acceptable, after a while I wasn't seeing the bars there. I did however have an issue redirecting quick touch passes and a couple of time missing the puck completely which I never do really.

A few more sessions I may be used to it. I am okay with this in other words, it was nice to feel a little braver blocking shots playing D and not fearing a headshot.

On the ear protector stuff I have never worn any ever ... had an old SK2000 Cooper back in the 80s and tried them. They just made noise from airflow so I removed them.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-25-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I removed mine. I find the ear pieces make it harder to hear team mates on the ice.
Seriously?

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Axxion89

I have my ear protector removed from my 8k only because it didn't come with the pro stock helmet. I hear no difference at all and my hearing blows! But everyones different

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Ani simov mal

Thats a beautiful bucket.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:29 AM
MJAYK

How is the Foam in the Bauer helmets? Is it somehow different because its white? I had similar foam in my old CCM, only it was black. It used to harden when the temperature would drop and crush my head. Now ive got the Vector V10 and its the best helmet ive ever used. The modern foam and padding really is something else. Amazingly comfortable compared to the old foam helmets. Money well spent!

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:55 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Seriously?
Some people have sht hearing, I took mine off mostly for that reason too. So....yes, seriously.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:37 AM
IniNew

I'm really happy for your commitment to the cage and all that but why would you take a picture of yourself holding the helmet? Kind of creepy.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Some people have sht hearing, I took mine off mostly for that reason too. So....yes, seriously.
I'm not quite in the sht hearing zone but I'm not far off.

I think it's directional with regard to wearing the ear pieces. If someone is sitting right next to me there's no problem. If guys are yelling advice from the bench a lot of the sound gets obstructed by the ear piece -- you only hear the sounds that make it through the 2x2" hole (or whatever size it is).

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Fair enough. I've tried taking them off and saw no difference in my ability to hear. I can hear perfectly fine with them in anyways.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote