HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Mats at Worlds

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2005, 06:03 PM
TML

vCash: 500
No Mats at Worlds

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...09_153601_5500

Quote:
Sundin, unlike many NHL players, didn't play hockey in Europe this winter, turning down his former Swedish Elite League club Djurgarden.

STOCKHOLM (AP) -- Toronto Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin will skip this year's IIHF world hockey championship, slated for April 30-May 15 in Austria.

"Unfortunately, it's true. We talked to each other today and he said no," Sweden coach Bengt-Ake Gustafsson told a local television network Wednesday.

Sundin's decision was expected. Unlike many other locked-out NHL players, the Stockholm native decided not to play this winter, turning down an offer from his former Swedish Elite League club Djurgarden.

He hasn't played since Sweden lost to the Czech Republic in the World Cup of Hockey quarter-finals last September.

"Mats believes he can't get in shape for the worlds and I can understand that," Gustafsson said.

Old
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
It Kills Me

I know that I said I wouldn't post till I was a mature 14 year-old but this caught my attention.

"Mats believes he can't get in shape for the worlds and I can understand that," Gustafsson said.

An overweight Mats? I'm glad that we didn't have a shortened NHL season. Maybe he should check out Roberts fitness club.

Old
03-09-2005, 06:17 PM
DaveyCrockett

Being in elite hockey shape is much different than being in top physical shape. Hockey is a sport of fast twitch muscles and 30 second sprints. Mats has also been known to have extremely high expectations of himself so his idea of "not being in shape" is that he doesn't feel he could play his absolute best.

Old
03-09-2005, 07:06 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
I'm thinking he's healing an injury of the past.. Perhaps his wrist hasn't healed as well as he'd like it to be, or the foot/ankle/leg injury he got this year in the playoffs could still use some doctor magic.

I think that's also why he didn't go play in Sweden earlier.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:51 AM
SHUDO

I think it has to do with his heart. I hear he's having heart troubles. Maybe if there was millions involved, he'd have somthing to play for. just another example of a heartless greedy hockey player, whose only motivation is the might dollar. I'm so sick of these guys.

Old
03-10-2005, 08:01 AM
MOGiLNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHUDO
I think it has to do with his heart. I hear he's having heart troubles. Maybe if there was millions involved, he'd have somthing to play for. just another example of a heartless greedy hockey player, whose only motivation is the might dollar. I'm so sick of these guys.
I think it has to do with you being a hab fan and Sundin being a Leaf.

in 2003, Sundin had a broken jaw, played through the 1st round vs. Philly, spent 10 hours at the dentist, and then flew over to play for Sweden at the world championships.

Old
03-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes

Cox rips Sundin in his latest diatribe.

Old
03-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

I think there is something missing here -- it can't simply be a matter of "getting into shape." Sundin has always been in shape and has always been an enthusiastic player for the blue and yellow. While I am in total ignorance of Sundin's reasons I can hypothesize that he may have a serious physical problem, that he may be comfortable away from hockey (too much soup?) and doesn't want to make the physical effort to get into game shape, or that for some reason he is angry at the Swedish hockey authorities.

Seven weeks is surely enough time to get into shape if he really wanted to play or felt it was in his best interest to play.

There is something happening here but I don't know what it is, do I Mr. Jones?

Old
03-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese

I'm sure Damion was sporting a tent when this news came out. He hasn't had much to write about recently seeing as how his career is based upon transcribing his Leaf hatred. The guy never has anything positive to say about the Leafs, and when he does (for example claiming the Nolan trade was just what the Leafs needed) he later retracts those sentiments with an almost arrogant "I told ya so" attitude.

He's a fool.

Old
03-10-2005, 09:52 AM
BuppY

Quote:
How can you say that, if he was greedy he would be playing hockey in Sweden right now, but he isn't he's taking time off, and he believes he can't be in shape when the world champions start, I don't blame him he hasn't seen any game action you can practice all you want to but when it comes to game it's going to take time to adjust to it. He hasn't played this whole year so thats probably why he pulled out.

Old
03-10-2005, 10:01 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese

Someone who writes about hockey should know that the only way to get into hockey shape is to play hockey, had the season not been cancelled there would have been a training camp. There is none for the World Champioships.

Old
03-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Someone who writes about hockey should know that the only way to get into hockey shape is to play hockey, had the season not been cancelled there would have been a training camp. There is none for the World Champioships.
I wonder if he thinks Scott Niedermeyer, last year's Norris winner, is lazy and that the Devils or whoever should be worried about his performance when hockey returns.

Old
03-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Frankie

cox is right. good thing there wasn't an nhl season.

i think we've seen the last of mats as an elite player.

Old
03-10-2005, 10:39 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie

good one

Old
03-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Perezhogin is going straight to the Hall of Fame

Old
03-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Frankie: your syllogism is missing a premise. You are once again worshipping at the church of the false assumption.

Old
03-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Frankie: your syllogism is missing a premise. You are once again worshipping at the church of the false assumption.
But how can we argue with Frankie? I mean, just because Sundin's name was the first to cross Gretzky's mind when talking to the press about replacement's: "My honest opinion is I don't like it," Gretzky said. "They're not the Sundins or the Leetches of the world. This is replacement players, and it is what it is."

What would Wayne know?

Old
03-10-2005, 04:58 PM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
An overweight Mats? I'm glad that we didn't have a shortened NHL season. Maybe he should check out Roberts fitness club.
I don't think Mats overwieght.But I could be wrong since the hockey season won't be on for another few months(I hope), he could be. But isn't he playing hockey in Europe?

Old
03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Just call him Fats Sundin.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Frankie

Quote:
he'll be almost 35 and will not have played in a lonnnnnnnnng time.

oh yah, huge stretch to think he won't be a star.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:41 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4600
Quote:
I think there is something missing here -- it can't simply be a matter of "getting into shape." Sundin has always been in shape and has always been an enthusiastic player for the blue and yellow. While I am in total ignorance of Sundin's reasons I can hypothesize that he may have a serious physical problem, that he may be comfortable away from hockey (too much soup?) and doesn't want to make the physical effort to get into game shape, or that for some reason he is angry at the Swedish hockey authorities.

Seven weeks is surely enough time to get into shape if he really wanted to play or felt it was in his best interest to play.

There is something happening here but I don't know what it is, do I Mr. Jones?
I remember the Swedish players took considerable heat from the homeland fans and media after the poor performance in the world championship.Hard to say exactly why he isn't playing and we could speculate about any number of possibilities.Hopefully Sundin can be taken at his word,if he's captain of our team i'd like to think he has the integrity we expect from our leader.
We never know for sure though,which is unfortunate.

Old
03-11-2005, 11:32 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
I know that I said I wouldn't post till I was a mature 14 year-old but this caught my attention.

I knew you couldn't last!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! we realy miss your posts, btw

Old
03-12-2005, 02:16 AM
monkey_00*

I guess he's trying to save himself for that Charity exhibition game here in Hamilton for April 2nd

Old
03-12-2005, 09:01 AM
MOGiLNY

Quote:
he'll be almost 35 and will not have played in a lonnnnnnnnng time.

oh yah, huge stretch to think he won't be a star.
Might as well right off players like Bertuzzi, Pronger and Sakic as well..

Closed Thread