HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The 5+20 minute penalty on Emelin

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Siberian

vCash: 500
The 5+20 minute penalty on Emelin

Obviously it was one of the key moments of the Gold Medal game with 10 minutes left. Judge for yourself.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Old Man Jags

Again?

Mod: deleted.

If it makes you feel any better (though most people agreed with you anyway an this has been discussed ad nauseam so I am not sure why you need to go into it again): it was probably a clean check and should not have been penalised (though it was clearly also not a Jagr dive, as some of the more silly posters have commented - he will be out injured for two months).

So what? If I had a penny for every time the Czechs faced far worse and clearly wrong referees' decisions and lost, I would be a rich man. It happens. WC referees are often sub-par and every team is affected at some point.

By the way, I am not sure why you are so certain that it was the deciding factor. The Czechs were 2-0 up. Without the penalty, it is not like Russia would have been awarded a goal or anything. Russia still would have had to score twice. They could not even score once in the previous 50 minutes.

Old
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
1. It was a low check. That's a clipping penalty.

2. The penalty caused an obvious injury. That's an automatic game misconduct per IIHF rules.

Old
SB164

I'd love to see him on the Habs next season, especially paired with his countryman Markov, that could potentially be a great duo.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Is hip-to-thigh considered clipping in the WC tournament? (serious question)

Old
05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Old Man Jags

Also

Rather than whine about one referee decision, you might want to ask yourself why a star studded Russian team full of NHL millionaires could not score more than one goal against a team of Czech nobodies, Vokoun an Jagr.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post

2. The penalty caused an obvious injury. That's an automatic game misconduct per IIHF rules.
I missed the injury, what was it? I thought I saw Jagr jumping around after the game ended, about 12 minutes after his "injury".

Old
05-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Siberian

What Injury was it????

Old
05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
What Injury was it????
I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

However, I didn't see Jagr "jumping around" when the Czechs won. He got up slowly, shook the hands of his coaches, and skated over to his teammates who were already at the net celebrating with Vokoun. Maybe you can post the video of that part too, it would help maintain your guise of impartiality.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

However, I didn't see Jagr "jumping around" when the Czechs won. He got up slowly, shook the hands of his coaches, and skated over to his teammates who were already at the net celebrating with Vokoun. Maybe you can post the video of that part too, it would help maintain your guise of impartiality.
Well, according to Sport-Express the referee thought that Jagr injured his knee and that's why he gave 5+20 but on the video you clearly see there is no contact with the knees, so what kind of injury could it be to deserve 5+20 with 10 minutes left in the Gold Medal game.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:32 AM
zorz

Of course Jágr didn't jump anywhere, he was just slowly walking around.

First contact was with the knee... of course it was close, but ref just called that. http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2087/fotografie129.jpg

Old
05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
klikkar

Quote:
I missed the injury, what was it? I thought I saw Jagr jumping around after the game ended, about 12 minutes after his "injury".
He didnt play a shift in the rest of the game.

He wasnt exactly jumping around, hell, he wasnt jumping around as everyone else even 2 days later on Old Towns Square where the players celebrated with fans after arriving. So there is obviously something wrong with his knee.

Quote:
Well, according to Sport-Express the referee thought that Jagr injured his knee and that's why he gave 5+20 but on the video you clearly see there is no contact with the knees, so what kind of injury could it be to deserve 5+20 with 10 minutes left in the Gold Medal game.
I'm sorry that referee didn't have portable xray on ice so he could determine if his knee is injured or just hurts a lot

I agree that the penalty is arguable, but that just about it.

Last edited by klikkar: 05-25-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old
05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
CCCP

Quote:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=779118&page=25

Post #602, end of story! As embarrassing as our pathetic team! With the roster they had, playing against bunch of youngsters, they should've won every single game by at least 5 goals!

Last edited by William H Bonney: 05-25-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: deleted flaming
Old
05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
First contact was with the knee... of course it was close, but ref just called that. http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2087/fotografie129.jpg
That wasn't a hit to the knee, you can very clearly see it got him in the thigh. The fact that Emelin's glove was near Jagr's knee means nothing considering it was a hipcheck.

Unless I am misinterpreting the rule, it was just a bad call. Pretty plain to see, and not an excuse for the Russian loss.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
That wasn't a hit to the knee, you can very clearly see it got him in the thigh. The fact that Emelin's glove was near Jagr's knee means nothing considering it was a hipcheck.

Unless I am misinterpreting the rule, it was just a bad call. Pretty plain to see, and not an excuse for the Russian loss.
Emelin would be applauded in the NHL! if it isn't a clean hipcheck then there is no such thing at all.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:50 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Unfortunately for you and Alexei Emelin and Team Russia, the referee doesn't have the benefit of scrutinizing a Youtube video over and over, pausing it and examining it frame by frame, to come to a conclusion. He has less than a second to make a decision, and he did. Maybe he was right, maybe not, but hey, welcome to sports.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Unfortunately for you and Alexei Emelin and Team Russia, the referee doesn't have the benefit of scrutinizing a Youtube video over and over, pausing it and examining it frame by frame, to come to a conclusion. He has less than a second to make a decision, and he did. Maybe he was right, maybe not, but hey, welcome to sports.
Yes, unfortunately for Emelin and team Russia but I was totally fine with the Czech team winning, I liked everything about the team and would love them to win until that mark, as you know from that point the game was embarassing right to the end. Officials lost the control of the game and it led to a number of horrendeous calls on both sides. Czech team felt that the officials were taking the bait and it ended ugly.

Old
05-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Hit looks good. Emelin's ribs caught Jagr in the thigh. You tell me who's suppose to go down...

Old
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
IRON JELLY*

Good hit, bad call.

As for the injury. Charlie horses suck

Old
05-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Emelin would be applauded in the NHL! if it isn't a clean hipcheck then there is no such thing at all.
It was clipping - the hitter shouldn't be on his hands and knees after a properly delivered hip check.

Totally deserved, and maybe we'll learn the forum rules when you learn the rules of ice hockey - deal?

Old
05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
These aren't the NHL rules. If it was a clean hipcheck, why did it result in a dislocated knee?

Old
05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
You're either delusional or you're deliberately making things up.

These aren't the NHL rules. If it was a clean hipcheck, why did it result in a dislocated knee?
Delusional is you. Jagr jumping with the team on "dislocated" knee. (Last 40 seconds of the clip)

Old
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
It was clipping - the hitter shouldn't be on his hands and knees after a properly delivered hip check.
How is it clipping? Emelin's side/hip went directly into Jagr's lower thigh. The hit was not delivered to his knee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil
If it was a clean hipcheck, why did it result in a dislocated knee?
According to the gameday thread linked below, this hit was preceded by another hit to the knee.

Old
05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Delusional is you. Jagr jumping with the team on "dislocated" knee. (Last 40 seconds of the clip)
You can see during the celebration that Jagr was limping around. Ever dislocated your knee? I have. There's no reason why he wouldn't be able to jump, as long as he kept the majority of his weight on his uninjured leg.

Old
05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
You can see during the celebration that Jagr was limping around. Ever dislocated your knee? I have. There's no reason why he wouldn't be able to jump, as long as he kept the majority of his weight on his uninjured leg.
So when did he dislocate his knee since there was no impact on his knee with Emelin hit?

Closed Thread