HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can you see Kekalainen as your gm someday ?

Old
04-29-2010, 05:21 AM
NCoRe

vCash: 500
Can you see Kekalainen as your gm someday ?

I'd allways wanted to ask this from ya'll so please tell me how'd ya like him back there cuz unfortunately finnish people dont appreciate his knowledge enough...Tell weaknesses strengths 'n all about him

And can you see him as your gm sum day ?

NCoRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:51 AM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
I always thought he would be the heir apparent to Pleau, but that obviously proved to not be the case. I'd love to see him stick around, but he'll be a name that teams want if teams are looking for a GM.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
SteenMachine

That's his lifetime career goal, to be an NHL GM, so if we don't find a way to give him that choice he'll be willing to do it if that offer comes from another team. I think Armstrong will have to show us what he can do with a few seasons, a stacked asset pool, new head coach, and win now ownership. If at some point the ownership decided JK could do a better job maybe he'll get his time to shine.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:47 PM
STL fan in IA

Honestly, no. Jarmo is currently in the position that is absolutely perfect for him. Jarmo appears to be excellent at running a draft, running the scouting dept, has a keen eye for talent, projecting the types of players teenagers will become 5-10 yrs down the road, etc. but the draft is really only a very small aspect of a GMs job responsibilities. I'm not convinced Jarmo would be equally excellent at executing trades, negotiating contracts, etc. Perhaps he would be able to do those things as good as most other GMs but I think overall, it would be a loss having him negotiate contracts & make phone calls to other GMs all day instead of being out scouting.

That said, Jarmo needs to be fairly compensated for what he provides to the team. I have no idea how much the Blues pay him but they need to make sure it's enough to keep him from wanting to go elsewhere - pay him as much to be the Blues Director of Amateur Scouting as another team might pay him to be GM for example. Scouting, drafting, and player development is an area a lot of teams seem to short change but it is very important to a team's long-term viability and the Blues need to continue to make it, and Jarmo, a top priority. Perhaps Jarmo is fixated on becoming a GM simply so he can say he "made it" to the top but hopefully he will stay exactly where he is, which is likely the best place for him and for the Blues.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
ChicagoBlues

I kind of agree with Iowa.

I don't see JK as a GM because I'm not sure he has what it takes. Then again, he speaks in public or in interviews so infrequently that it's difficult to know if he has some moxie about him.

Armstrong was brought in to succeed. It's not like Checketts & JD would keep JK around just in case Armstrong fails. Through some ups and downs Armstrong will be the GM in St. Louis for quite a while.

Jarmo just might wind up another team's GM, but I think that's a mistake. JK should stay in the scouting area. But what do I know? Maybe JK is bored with scouting?!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Plager05

I think he is the GM of the future. He's a little bit young right now but the Blues pay him a lot of money and he has some duties beyond amateur scouting at the moment.

Jarmo does a lot more than just run the draft, he brings a whole organizational philosophy of hard work and character. If the Blues are successful with the guys he is bringing in than Jarmo will eventually be given the reins.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:31 PM
EOM

Jarmo is a good head of drafting and scouting and I don't want to see him leave. But one thing I would point out is, we don't have any idea how good or bad he can be at the responsibilities of a GM. He may very well be great at it. He is a scout after all, so he would have a good idea of judging a player's value when making trades and signings. But I have no idea how he would be at actually building a roster that can win.

Starting next season, Armstrong is taking over as GM. I would think he would have at least a few years to prove himself. If he is incompetent enough to be fired, then perhaps JD will think about how well Jarmo could be as a GM. But this is all speculation.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:04 AM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Hopefully we can make him feel home here and compensate him handsomely for his work so he'll stay on board for awhile. Detroit has a few guys like Hakan Andersson and Jim Nill who are very good at what they do, but they're willing to stay because the organization treats them first class.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Plager05

Does anyone remember back when the Blues were looking for a new GM or something and they promoted Jarmo to Asst. GM/Director of Amateur Scouting?

Management or whoever said they really like Jarmo but he just didn't have the experience and relationships yet to be a day-to-day GM. I have got to believe that he's been learning these types of things whenever he has the time, and this was a few years ago.

Old
05-01-2010, 10:14 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Has anyone heard recently Jarmo talking about being a GM. Perhaps he's changed his mind. If he's being paid well (and I have to believe he is now) why would he want to be GM? He's doing what he is best at and the odds of him getting the axe are slim. GMs get axed all the time.

He'd have to go on a pretty terrible streak of drafting or ownership would have to do a full flush of the front office for him to lose his job at this point. Armstrong on the other hand is putting his head in the noose right away and its up to him to not hang himself.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
Has anyone heard recently Jarmo talking about being a GM. Perhaps he's changed his mind. If he's being paid well (and I have to believe he is now) why would he want to be GM? He's doing what he is best at and the odds of him getting the axe are slim. GMs get axed all the time.

He'd have to go on a pretty terrible streak of drafting or ownership would have to do a full flush of the front office for him to lose his job at this point. Armstrong on the other hand is putting his head in the noose right away and its up to him to not hang himself.
So your theory is Jarmo has now become scared of becoming GM?
Why would he want to be GM? Here's a few reasons.

People dream of becoming NHL general managers, and being involved in every single aspect of running a hockey team. HFBoards is full of arm chair GM's.

It's the pinnacle of his profession.

As a GM he has his chance to make his mark on the NHL. GM's are the most important people in the business, not many HOF amateur scouts who's names people know.

I'm whoever needs to know his intentions knows, if he kept spouting off that he wanted to be a GM it would just be distracting for the club.

Old
05-01-2010, 08:02 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05 View Post
So your theory is Jarmo has now become scared of becoming GM?
Why would he want to be GM? Here's a few reasons.

People dream of becoming NHL general managers, and being involved in every single aspect of running a hockey team. HFBoards is full of arm chair GM's.

It's the pinnacle of his profession.

As a GM he has his chance to make his mark on the NHL. GM's are the most important people in the business, not many HOF amateur scouts who's names people know.

I'm whoever needs to know his intentions knows, if he kept spouting off that he wanted to be a GM it would just be distracting for the club.
Jarmo considers himself first and foremost a scout.
The "pinnacle of his profession" is the perfect draft(every player makes the NHL).
He finds more satisfaction in "finding NHL players" than he does in giving people orders or playing with money.

Jarmo doesn't care about fame or fan recognition and therefore the GM title isn't as important to him as it is to some others. That's not to say he woulldn't like to be a GM one day; but he is very happy where he is, still has goals he wants to acheive as a Draft Guru and is young enough that he can afford to wait for the right opportunity to go to the next step.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 09:54 PM
fan in oregon

i dont understand the infatuation with jarmo. personally i think he has had as many misses as hits in the draft. if you look at the amount of picks compared to the total number of nhl players produced its not as great as some people think.

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
The "pinnacle of his profession" is the perfect draft(every player makes the NHL).
He finds more satisfaction in "finding NHL players" than he does in giving people orders or playing with money.

Jarmo doesn't care about fame or fan recognition and therefore the GM title isn't as important to him as it is to some others. That's not to say he woulldn't like to be a GM one day; but he is very happy where he is, still has goals he wants to acheive as a Draft Guru and is young enough that he can afford to wait for the right opportunity to go to the next step.
Right. And the right opportunity will be when Armstrong leaves St. Louis and the GM slot is vacant.

Old
05-03-2010, 12:28 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan in oregon View Post
i dont understand the infatuation with jarmo. personally i think he has had as many misses as hits in the draft. if you look at the amount of picks compared to the total number of nhl players produced its not as great as some people think.
That's how the draft works. Misses/busts are inevitable considering the scouting staff's job is to try to predict how good 17-18 yr old kids will be 5-10 years down the road. If foresight was as clear as hindsight, scouting would be a lot easier. Compare Jarmo's record to other scouting directors and you will see that he actually has quite a few less misses than most.

Old
05-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post

I do not doubt this, but why speak it as fact?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:10 AM
ChadS

Not atleast for the next 5 years. He just signed a deal with Jokerit Helsinki to be their GM! This is crazy!

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Metalcommand

Translated from an interview by Finnish media this is what Jarmo said:
''I will be able to do the work that I have always wanted. My dream is to become a GM in the NHL. Now my objective in five years is to make such a work sample that the dream can be reached.''

So yeah, I figure he wants to be a GM someday

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:27 AM
BluesBrother

yep, for five years in Jokerit.. Maybe after that back to Blues as GM...

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Diaboli

Wow.. What a coop by Hjallis! Any ideas from St. Louis as to why Jarmo opted to move back to Finland to take this job instead of staying in NA? Seems like a big move backwards, though now he finally is a GM

Diaboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:50 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboli View Post
Wow.. What a coop by Hjallis! Any ideas from St. Louis as to why Jarmo opted to move back to Finland to take this job instead of staying in NA? Seems like a big move backwards, though now he finally is a GM
It had a lot to do with his family. Probably his kids are starting school and he wants them to do it in Finland 'cause he couldn't get a GM job in the NHL. He'll be back in the NHL one day, definately. It's his long time dream.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
BlueBeard

If Jarmo is going to be a GM this is likely the best route to go. If he would have been the Blues GM and stunk up the joint then we have to fire him then we lose his draft guru services. In this route if he stinks it up I'm sure the Blues would still welcome him back with open arms.

In the meantime we need some chloroform, a burlap sack and and the location of Andersson. Who's in?

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:25 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboli View Post
He gets more money, gets to move himself and his family back to his homeland, doesn't have to travel all over the place anymore, gets to spend more time with his family since he's not traveling as much, gets to do the type of job he wants to do (GM)...it really seems like a no-brainer to me. It was simply a deal he couldn't pass up.

Hopefully the Blues can find a quality replacement for Jarmo (perhaps Mike Antonovich, one of the other scouts or someone from outside the organization) but I wish Jarmo well.