HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jim Schoenfeld interview

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2010, 06:46 AM
  #1
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,751
vCash: 500
Jim Schoenfeld interview

Andrew Gross spoke to Rangers AGM/Rangers assistant coach/Hartford GM Jim Schoenfeld. Too many titles.

Quote:
- As far as he knows - and the team has been through its organizational meetings - the coaching staff (John Tortorella, him, Mike Sullivan and Benoit Allaire) and his role within the organization is “status quo.”

- As for Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, the “Norwegian Hobbit” whose signing by the Rangers is widely anticipated to already be a done deal and set to be announced possibly this week, Schoenfeld did say he had a chance to scout Zuccarell-Aasen during his recent trip to Europe for the World Championships.

“I wanted to get a good look at him,” Schoenfeld said. “He didn’t disappoint.”
Quote:
Schoenfeld does not have any trouble communicating his thoughts. Here, then, is possibly the best explanation of why a team should not comment on its plans. In discussing free agents, I asked Schoenfeld what the Rangers’ priorities might be, knowing that last offseason they went into the free agent market with a definite need for a high-end scorer/elite player and came away with Marian Gaborik.

“We have very strong opinions but we try to keep our opinions internal unless Glen (Sather) wants to share them,” Schoenfeld said. “We’re smart enough to know we might not be able to fill all our needs. We have a good plan of attack but there might be a year where we need a Marian Gaborik and there isn’t a Gaborik out there. To say we need a high-scoring right wing from Slovakia, to make that statement and all we’ve got is a grinding left week from Cheektowaga, when we sign that guy, it’s not fair to that guy.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ws-like_items/

No wonder why the Rangers stink. The AGM of the team just saw MZA in Germany. He didn't get a chance to see him during the season in Sweden because he is an assistant coach with the Rangers. From reading the blog post,Schoeny didn't scout MZA in Vancouver either. Just fits the pattern Larry Brooks wrote about 15 months ago about Schoenfeld never scouting games during the season. He travels with the team and hangs out with Sather. The Rangers "signed" a player without the AGM taking a look at him!!!!Sather never travels to scout games.

You look at Chicago and the great job done by Dale Tallon/Rick Dudley. Forget about Kane and Toews,look at the rest of that team. Most of that team was built in the draft and through trades. They made some bad picks but their body of work makes up for Jack Skille. Tallon and Dudley(especially Dudley)were always on the road scouting players and get a look with their own eyes. They didn't rely on their scouts. They accepted their advice but unless you get a look at the player with your own eyes,you don't know anything about the player.

The Rangers flip the roster over every summer and they still stink.

Mike Smith drafted Seabrook,Keith and Dusty Buff. Tallon was part of Smith's management team.

Love the "status quo" comment.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:55 AM
  #2
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Comparing the Rangers to Chicago is asinine.

Why?

2009 28th overall (Olsen)
2008 11th overall (Beach)
2007 1st overall (Kane)
2006 3rd overall (Toews)
2005 7th overall (Skille)
2004 3rd overall (Barker)
2003 14th overall (Seabrook)
2002 21st overall (Babchuk)
2001 9th overall, 29th overall (Ruutu, Munro)
2000 10th & 11th overall (Yakubov, Vorobiev)

That's EIGHT top 11 draft choices since 2000. The Rangers have had that luxury TWO times. Top 3 choices? Chicago 3. Rangers 0.

Who's making the biggest impact for the 'Hawks? Kane. Toews. And Dustin Byfuglien (who is turning out to be a great 245th pick).

Furthermore, before this year you could hardly call the 'Hawks, with the longest Cup drought in the league, successful. If you look at their success, a large part is because of the "Penguins Model" of franchise building by completely sucking for a couple of years to draft high. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the Rangers have never been THAT bad.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:30 AM
  #3
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 500
im curious about this part:

Quote:
“We have very strong opinions but we try to keep our opinions internal unless Glen (Sather) wants to share them,” Schoenfeld said. “We’re smart enough to know we might not be able to fill all our needs. We have a good plan of attack but there might be a year where we need a Marian Gaborik and there isn’t a Gaborik out there. To say we need a high-scoring right wing from Slovakia, to make that statement and all we’ve got is a grinding left week from Cheektowaga, when we sign that guy, it’s not fair to that guy.”
i can't determine if he's saying A or B:

A: if they can't get what they wanted then they'll decide to address another issue

B: if they can't get their first choice for a player, they just move down the line to their 2nd or 3rd alternative to that player

A is the right way to do it, but historically they have overwhelmingly chosen option B

hopefully he's saying that this year they acknowledge that they can't fill all their needs so their going to lean more towards A, and try to make better decisions to more adequetly fill a hole on the team, rather than making a half-assed attempt to fill all of them

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:37 AM
  #4
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,497
vCash: 500
Schoenfeld is so overrated. Yet people here would rather have him as GM than Messier. I'm not saying that Messier is all that great, since I have no idea how he'd be, but if anything, I feel like Schoenfeld is just another Sather crony.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:59 AM
  #5
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Schoenfeld is so overrated. Yet people here would rather have him as GM than Messier. I'm not saying that Messier is all that great, since I have no idea how he'd be, but if anything, I feel like Schoenfeld is just another Sather crony.
And Messier isn't?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:35 AM
  #6
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Andrew Gross spoke to Rangers AGM/Rangers assistant coach/Hartford GM Jim Schoenfeld. Too many titles.





http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ws-like_items/

No wonder why the Rangers stink. The AGM of the team just saw MZA in Germany. He didn't get a chance to see him during the season in Sweden because he is an assistant coach with the Rangers. From reading the blog post,Schoeny didn't scout MZA in Vancouver either. Just fits the pattern Larry Brooks wrote about 15 months ago about Schoenfeld never scouting games during the season. He travels with the team and hangs out with Sather. The Rangers "signed" a player without the AGM taking a look at him!!!!Sather never travels to scout games.

You look at Chicago and the great job done by Dale Tallon/Rick Dudley. Forget about Kane and Toews,look at the rest of that team. Most of that team was built in the draft and through trades. They made some bad picks but their body of work makes up for Jack Skille. Tallon and Dudley(especially Dudley)were always on the road scouting players and get a look with their own eyes. They didn't rely on their scouts. They accepted their advice but unless you get a look at the player with your own eyes,you don't know anything about the player.
The Rangers employ a European Scouting Staff right?

If that's the way you decide to go than you have to trust those scouts.

And Sather does travel to scout players.



Its easy to look at the Hawks now and say this is how its done but like Pittsburgh the Hawks were a TERRIBLE bottom feeder for a long time. They reaped on draft picks and yes some quality ufa pickups and patient homegrowns.

Rangers have just never been that bad for that long.

Three years ago the Hawks and the Flyers were the two WORST teams in the NHL

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:38 AM
  #7
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
im curious about this part:



i can't determine if he's saying A or B:

A: if they can't get what they wanted then they'll decide to address another issue

B: if they can't get their first choice for a player, they just move down the line to their 2nd or 3rd alternative to that player

A is the right way to do it, but historically they have overwhelmingly chosen option B

hopefully he's saying that this year they acknowledge that they can't fill all their needs so their going to lean more towards A, and try to make better decisions to more adequetly fill a hole on the team, rather than making a half-assed attempt to fill all of them

The UFA activity will depend on what happens with Redden or perhaps some other trades around the draft we have no idea about. What if they are thinking they can move up? Or down?

Not sure what you expect him to say. If he was my AGM, I'd tell him to keep his mouth shut.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
  #8
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
The UFA activity will depend on what happens with Redden or perhaps some other trades around the draft we have no idea about. What if they are thinking they can move up? Or down?

Not sure what you expect him to say. If he was my AGM, I'd tell him to keep his mouth shut.
i dont think he should say a damn thing....and i wouldnt want him to if he was my AGM as well

im just trying to read into what he did say to get an idea of how they're going to aproach this offseason

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
  #9
The Perfect Paradox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
im curious about this part:



i can't determine if he's saying A or B:

A: if they can't get what they wanted then they'll decide to address another issue

B: if they can't get their first choice for a player, they just move down the line to their 2nd or 3rd alternative to that player

A is the right way to do it, but historically they have overwhelmingly chosen option B

hopefully he's saying that this year they acknowledge that they can't fill all their needs so their going to lean more towards A, and try to make better decisions to more adequetly fill a hole on the team, rather than making a half-assed attempt to fill all of them
That same part confused me as well. In my opinion, it seems to me that they kind of have a set group of players they want to pursue. If those players aren't signed they will stay out of the FA market. It seems to me that they have a certain criteria of players they are trying to sign. If there aren't any players that fit their criteria, they won't make a signing.

Doesn't sound like our approach in the past, but I hope how I translated it is how they are really trying to approach the situation.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:00 AM
  #10
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
That same part confused me as well. In my opinion, it seems to me that they kind of have a set group of players they want to pursue. If those players aren't signed they will stay out of the FA market. It seems to me that they have a certain criteria of players they are trying to sign. If there aren't any players that fit their criteria, they won't make a signing.

Doesn't sound like our approach in the past, but I hope how I translated it is how they are really trying to approach the situation.
To me, it sounds like he's saying "We don't want another Redden/Drury/Gomez situation." As in, it's not fair to sign a guy to fill a role he isn't suited for and then expect him to fill that role.

I dunno, maybe that's just me, but if I'm right that begs the question: Are they actually smart enough to know that?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:07 AM
  #11
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
To me, it sounds like he's saying "We don't want another Redden/Drury/Gomez situation." As in, it's not fair to sign a guy to fill a role he isn't suited for and then expect him to fill that role.

I dunno, maybe that's just me, but if I'm right that begs the question: Are they actually smart enough to know that?
Actually it sounds a lot more like, "We might need another Marian Gaborik, but if we can't get one then we'll just resort to signing Pavol Demitra to a 5 year/25M deal."

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:08 AM
  #12
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Andrew Gross spoke to Rangers AGM/Rangers assistant coach/Hartford GM Jim Schoenfeld. Too many titles.





http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ws-like_items/

No wonder why the Rangers stink. The AGM of the team just saw MZA in Germany. He didn't get a chance to see him during the season in Sweden because he is an assistant coach with the Rangers. From reading the blog post,Schoeny didn't scout MZA in Vancouver either. Just fits the pattern Larry Brooks wrote about 15 months ago about Schoenfeld never scouting games during the season. He travels with the team and hangs out with Sather. The Rangers "signed" a player without the AGM taking a look at him!!!!Sather never travels to scout games.

You look at Chicago and the great job done by Dale Tallon/Rick Dudley. Forget about Kane and Toews,look at the rest of that team. Most of that team was built in the draft and through trades. They made some bad picks but their body of work makes up for Jack Skille. Tallon and Dudley(especially Dudley)were always on the road scouting players and get a look with their own eyes. They didn't rely on their scouts. They accepted their advice but unless you get a look at the player with your own eyes,you don't know anything about the player.

The Rangers flip the roster over every summer and they still stink.

Mike Smith drafted Seabrook,Keith and Dusty Buff. Tallon was part of Smith's management team.

Love the "status quo" comment.
I prefer Sather and Schoeny to keep their ***** where they are. We've all seen what happens when Sather scouts a player. We end up with Jessiman. Look what Gordie Clark's done. I trust Clark's judgement over Sather and Schoeny's any day.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:28 AM
  #13
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Actually it sounds a lot more like, "We might need another Marian Gaborik, but if we can't get one then we'll just resort to signing Pavol Demitra to a 5 year/25M deal."
How are you getting that? He said:

Quote:
We have very strong opinions but we try to keep our opinions internal unless Glen (Sather) wants to share them, Schoenfeld said. Were smart enough to know we might not be able to fill all our needs. We have a good plan of attack but there might be a year where we need a Marian Gaborik and there isnt a Gaborik out there. To say we need a high-scoring right wing from Slovakia, to make that statement and all weve got is a grinding left week from Cheektowaga, when we sign that guy, its not fair to that guy.
But you think he's saying:

"It's not fair to that guy who doesn't fill our needs, but we'll sign him regardless and overpay in the process."

I'm not seeing the correlation here.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:38 AM
  #14
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,173
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
How are you getting that? He said:



But you think he's saying:

"It's not fair to that guy who doesn't fill our needs, but we'll sign him regardless and overpay in the process."

I'm not seeing the correlation here.
S A R C A S A M


pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
  #15
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And Messier isn't?
Messier has 6 Cups as a player. How the hell is he overrated?

You really can't say he's overrated as a GM because he isn't one and has no track record.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:46 AM
  #16
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,869
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Messier has 6 Cups as a player. How the hell is he overrated?

You really can't say he's overrated as a GM because he isn't one and has no track record.
I think SBOB was saying he's also a Sather crony. Which he is. He was an amazing player and The Captain, but he's still a Sather crony.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:47 AM
  #17
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think SBOB was saying he's also a Sather crony. Which he is. He was an amazing player and The Captain, but he's still a Sather crony.
Thank you.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
  #18
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Messier has 6 Cups as a player. How the hell is he overrated?

You really can't say he's overrated as a GM because he isn't one and has no track record.
I think SBOB was referring to this part of the post:

Quote:
I feel like Schoenfeld is just another Sather crony.
In that regard, he's right. Messier is a Sather crony.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:57 AM
  #19
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think SBOB was saying he's also a Sather crony. Which he is. He was an amazing player and The Captain, but he's still a Sather crony.
Sorry, I'd rather assess a guy on performance (which you can't) than make that assumption. Sather obviously has an affinity for Messier, but I don't see how you can call Mark a "crony" (which smacks of favoritism for positions instead of earning them) for a guy that has a pretty much meaningless position ("special assistant to president and general manager") with the Rangers. If Messier is appointed GM at some point, you can make the case that he hasn't earned it. However, Messier isn't jack to the Rangers organization at the moment.

And, personally, I'm not going to be down on a guy that's spent 40 years in hockey, brought us a Cup after 54 years, and clearly loves NYC and the Rangers until there's a reason to be.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:59 AM
  #20
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,869
vCash: 500
Awards:
I'm not down on him. But I'm not high on him for any type of meaningful managerial position until he actually does something to deserve that position. Being a legend and being friends with Sather doesn't warrant our GM position.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:59 AM
  #21
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm not down on him. But I'm not high on him for any type of meaningful managerial position until he actually does something to deserve that position. Being a legend and being friends with Sather doesn't warrant our GM position.
How do you feel about Yzerman in TB? Same way?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
  #22
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
How do you feel about Yzerman in TB? Same way?
Yzerman has been working toward this since he retired. He's was the executive director for Canada in the olympics. Messier has one year of experience and has no accomplishments as an executive to hang his hat on.

God forbid Sather is still the GM 3 years from now, but if it comes to that, I'd support Messier for GM. But not now. He's too inexperienced and would be living off his credentials as a player rather than his credentials as an executive.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
  #23
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yzerman has been working toward this since he retired. He's was the executive director for Canada in the olympics. Messier has one year of experience and has no accomplishments as an executive to hang his hat on.

God forbid Sather is still the GM 3 years from now, but if it comes to that, I'd support Messier for GM. But not now. He's too inexperienced and would be living off his credentials as a player rather than his credentials as an executive.
Sorry, but I call BS.

Yzerman retired July, 2006 and was named VP of the Red Wings in September. How much VP experience did he accumulate from July to Sept?

Yzerman was GM of Canada's IIHF 2007 WC team - but let's be honest here: Staal, Ward, Nash, Doan, Lombardi, Roloson, Cammalleri, Phaneuf, Toews, Jordan Staal, Weber, Armstrong, Mason, etc... Let's not make this out to be something it's not. You don't think Messier could've been GM of that team and won Gold?

Messier was a year late to the party when he said he was interested in becoming a GM in 2007. There's no way to know one way or the other whether or not he'll be successful.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:24 PM
  #24
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Sorry, I'd rather assess a guy on performance (which you can't) than make that assumption. Sather obviously has an affinity for Messier, but I don't see how you can call Mark a "crony" (which smacks of favoritism for positions instead of earning them) for a guy that has a pretty much meaningless position ("special assistant to president and general manager") with the Rangers. If Messier is appointed GM at some point, you can make the case that he hasn't earned it.
That's exactly my point. Mess has already benefited from favoritism. Sather brought him back to NY. Sather didn't trade him during the great purge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
And, personally, I'm not going to be down on a guy that's spent 40 years in hockey, brought us a Cup after 54 years
That's something that has no bearing on his ability to be a good, or even effective, GM.

More likely than not, Sather is going to hand pick his successor — and it's a safe bet that it will be a crony.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
  #25
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
S A R C A S A M

Ok then!

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.