HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICK - Warrior Dolomite Spyne DD?

Old
05-20-2010, 02:16 PM
ipushmycar

vCash: 500
STICK - Warrior Dolomite Spyne DD?

Anyone used the new Dolomite Spyne? It's blade has a weird shape on the back. I just picked up an INT 70 Savard... originally I wanted just a Dolomite DD Savard but they had none in stock, so I thought I'd try this bad boy out.

Anyone used this stick? Reviews? Links? Any buzz? What's the low-down?

ipushmycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
NHL Fanatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipushmycar View Post
Anyone used the new Dolomite Spyne? It's blade has a weird shape on the back. I just picked up an INT 70 Savard... originally I wanted just a Dolomite DD Savard but they had none in stock, so I thought I'd try this bad boy out.

Anyone used this stick? Reviews? Links? Any buzz? What's the low-down?
Yeah, I have the same exact one actually, but my flex is 75, but blade is still savard. I really like it, my scoring has actually increased since I bought it. It is very good on stickhandling, being so light. I am very happy with the stick. Id probably give it an 8.5/10

NHL Fanatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:30 AM
10 ft. pole

Sucks for recieving passes with a lo of sauce. Sucks for 1 timers. Great for stick handling and wrist shots and backhands. Basically good for a finesse guy bad for a hard skating power forward caveman or defenseman.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 01:58 AM
Scotty94

The design on the back of the blade is a complete gimmick, much like Easton's longstanding "focus flex" portion of their replacement blades. A few grams in weight savings, but nothing more.

Scotty94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 08:26 PM
ipushmycar

Thanks for the info.

Old
05-23-2010, 08:06 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty94 View Post
The design on the back of the blade is a complete gimmick, much like Easton's longstanding "focus flex" portion of their replacement blades. A few grams in weight savings, but nothing more.
Just curious, any evidence as to why it's just a gimmick? I ask because it's pretty hard to tell.

To the OP. I've used the original Dolomite, the HD, and now a pro-stock DD. I like the original the best out of the three, but the DD is really nice. Better kick then the original but I really liked the original blade design.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Scotty94

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Just curious, any evidence as to why it's just a gimmick? I ask because it's pretty hard to tell.
Evidence? Just look at it.

Anyone who knows much about gear should recognize it as nothing more than a swirly pattern molded into the blade. Or you can come to a place like this or ModSquadHockey and ask people who have worked at numerous shops, at various levels, played for many years, and some of whom have worked with NHL teams and we'll tell you the same thing.

Nothing more than a marketing ploy. Those that believe it are generally the first to buy it and the last to realize that it does nothing. If it truly did something, all the pro-stock sticks for your favorite NHL players would feature the latest technology in Spyne-type blades. Guess what? NHL blades feature none of that. Ever see an NHL blade on a Synergy or in an older T-Flex that had a focus flex hosel to it? Nope. That says something beyond what the obvious should say.

Old
05-24-2010, 12:49 AM
BadHammy*

+1 to Scotty, the Spyne thing is just nonsense.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Slava13

I finally used mine yesterday for the first time. I've been using MacDaddy for the past 2 years. I can't say that I liked it all that much. Stick handling felt weird, shooting was OK but couldn't get my back hand to go higher then a foot or so. Not sure if it's the stick but with MacDaddy I had no problem getting the puck under crossbar. With more time I'm sure I'll get used to it but for now I can't see much of an improvement.

Slava13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
ipushmycar

I believe the "Spyne" blade isn't necessarily a gimmick, rather it has too little of an impact to really be noticed.

Supposedly, the different parts of the blade are different densities, which technically does impact the puck differently, however the difference is too small to notice, and the game of hockey is way to fast and gritty for this technology to work.

Now, if this were golf, that would be a different story.

I returned my INT Spyne because it was too whippy. Amazingly, the Warrior Kronik's were on sale- from $220 down to $140.

Anyone know anything about the Kronik? I hear it's Warrior's best- a true one piece design. Bonus for it being called "Kronik", as I was a pothead, and still am fascinated by marijuana

Old
05-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Scotty94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipushmycar View Post
I believe the "Spyne" blade isn't necessarily a gimmick, rather it has too little of an impact to really be noticed.

Supposedly, the different parts of the blade are different densities, which technically does impact the puck differently, however the difference is too small to notice, and the game of hockey is way to fast and gritty for this technology to work.

Now, if this were golf, that would be a different story.

I returned my INT Spyne because it was too whippy. Amazingly, the Warrior Kronik's were on sale- from $220 down to $140.

Anyone know anything about the Kronik? I hear it's Warrior's best- a true one piece design. Bonus for it being called "Kronik", as I was a pothead, and still am fascinated by marijuana
When I say that it is a gimmick and others agree with me, we aren't talking about the dual density foams inside the blade. Many manufacturers use different density foams and it DOES indeed make a difference, not only in puck feel, but in terms of blade durability and reducing torque.

The gimmick I speak of is the pattern molded into the exterior of the blade itself.

Those "swoosh" lines (that have changed shape over the past couple years) are what I'm talking about. Warrior claims it does this:

Not trying to badmouth Warrior in any way because I just switched to their Dolomite shaft after using Eastons for a decade and I love it. Just trying to shed some light on the fact that every company claims they have some outrageous new technology that "loads torque", "directs energy into your shot", etc.

Old
05-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Don't know about the Spyne, but the Warrior HD foams made a huge difference in terms of feel.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Skraut

wouldn't that totally mess with any backhand shot you may have as well?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
ipushmycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty94 View Post
When I say that it is a gimmick and others agree with me, we aren't talking about the dual density foams inside the blade. Many manufacturers use different density foams and it DOES indeed make a difference, not only in puck feel, but in terms of blade durability and reducing torque.

The gimmick I speak of is the pattern molded into the exterior of the blade itself.
Yeah I got that, and I do agree with you. It is a bit gimmicky- I am not buying Warrior's for the "awesome Spyne blade design", rather because I believe Warrior is a great company with awesome style and fair pricing. Also, because I feel that Warrior is trying to push stick technology forward- even though this may not have much impact or may seem gimmicky.

When practicing with the Spyne I had, I did not like the backside of the blade. However, the Kronik seems to have less indentation and a less irritating design.