HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Quarterfinal • 05/20/10 • Russia 5, Canada 2

View Poll Results: Pick the winner
Russia 39 65.00%
Canada 21 35.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Zine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
How?

Russia had the established chemistry of guys playing together previously in WHC's and on the same KHL teams.

What are you basing the assertion on that if coaching and preparation were the same, Russia wins? Two WHC's wins over a Team Canada that didn't have as many stars as Russia? Proven pressure players like Kovy and Ovechkin?

Do you still feel this way after yesterday?

The WC loss is even more proof of this. Russia’s problem is a lack of 'team' (particularly where roles are defined) and especially a lack of tactical diversity.
In hindsight its obvious those 2 WC titles were won on talent and player enthusiasm, yet that isn’t enough for even the most talented team at Olympic level (or even WC level when there’s no enthusiasm).

Go watch that documentary on Canada’s team selection. It illustrated just how prepared they were - even down to the smallest detail. The overall organization, planning, groundwork, team selection, scouting of opposition, etc. was nothing short of phenomenal. Absolutely nothing was overlooked or taken for granted. After the Olympics Mogilny said Canada played the hockey of the future.

Russia’s preparation?.....a mid-tempo summer scrimmage for fans and assurances from Bykov/Zakharkin saying “Hey, we know how Canadians play.”
A few players are on record saying they receive more guidance and direction for a mid-season NHL game than they did for the whole Olympic process.

Old
05-25-2010, 10:14 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Russia’s preparation?.....a mid-tempo summer scrimmage for fans and assurances from Bykov/Zakharkin saying “Hey, we know how Canadians play.”
A few players are on record saying they receive more guidance and direction for a mid-season NHL game than they did for the whole Olympic process.
I do agree that Russia would do better with more preparation and certainly you know more about this subject than I do.

I don't agree that Russia would for sure win with as much preparation as the Canadians.. They still have some defensive weaknesses and there are no guarantees in the olympics. The US team's success should be evidence enough of that.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
I do agree that Russia would do better with more preparation and certainly you know more about this subject than I do.

I don't agree that Russia would for sure win with as much preparation as the Canadians.. They still have some defensive weaknesses and there are no guarantees in the olympics. The US team's success should be evidence enough of that.
Of course I take that comment back. Obviously nothing is guaranteed….especially in Olympics.

However after getting a glimpse of the preparation Canada put into it, then seeing their corresponding level of play throughout the tourney (as well as everybody else's), it’s quite frustrating knowing we pissed away a ridiculously good chance for gold because of outright incompetence (and still continue to do).

Old
05-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLY Spartak Moscow View Post
Sorry Canada, till next time !
You don't think mocking our flag is too far? I don't cheer for Team Canada, but I'm a Canadian citizen and that's extremely disrespectful.

Closed Thread