HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So...you still wanna fire Homer?

Old
05-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Talbetts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
It's hard not to say the players themselves overcame a lot of his bad ideas, moves.... not sure he gets the credit for Richards becoming what he has, or Giroux for that matter........... maybe he's a genius for letting Leighton go after 4 games and then stocking the Goaltender position with question marks only to pick Leighton back up on waivers, from his 7th team because his new team didn't need him either...... Oh Holmgren you GENIUS!!!!!!!!! Now how do we fit Jones into his premeditated moves to make the players want to play for each other and some stellar defense in front of their goaltender much later on??????

He gets credit for keeping them and not dealing them away in some dumb trade when the team was playing like ahole!

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:27 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
A "solid number one" usually starts more than 29 games in the season...

I think Holmgren has done an outstanding job on some peripheral moves, but people have to remember that we've gotten matchups that have been absolutely perfect for us in this postseason.

We're going into the SCF as significant underdogs and remember, this team's mission is to win the Stanley Cup, not to just get there. So until this team does that, it's still an INC for Holmgren.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Im amazed that people still don't give credit to homer, even though his team is in the finals of the stanley cup. What more do you want

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:40 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Im amazed that people still don't give credit to homer, even though his team is in the finals of the stanley cup. What more do you want
Er, winning the Stanley Cup...

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Talbetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Er, winning the Stanley Cup...
He has given us that chance! It's up to them now! Nothing more that Homer can do...

Also, Emery was injured. Homer didnt know he had a bone problem...nobody knew.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:12 AM
captainpaxil

ive thought for years that snider would retire if we got a cup. if we do manage to win four more games, do you think homer gets promoted? is the presidents job clarkes to turn down? what about croce who wanted the job before?

if you look at this team and its position over the next five years if your going to make a change in management you do it this summer or next.it would be the way mr snider would wanna go out , on top, if he does ever.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
ive thought for years that snider would retire if we got a cup. if we do manage to win four more games, do you think homer gets promoted? is the presidents job clarkes to turn down? what about croce who wanted the job before?

if you look at this team and its position over the next five years if your going to make a change in management you do it this summer or next.it would be the way mr snider would wanna go out , on top, if he does ever.
Erm, what is Snider going to retire from? He's the CEO or whatever... but Lukko is in charge of the day-to-day for the most part.

Snider is loaded, and cares passionately about the Flyers... I doubt he's going to leave his current role until he's dead.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
A GM that isn't ****ing stupid about the salary cap.

But, "What can you do?"

Evaluating players based on the playoffs is terribly misguided, and it's the same with GMs. The playoffs are a series of small sample sets where luck of the draw, and a bit of luck in games go a long way. We've managed to make it to the SCF going through NJD, Boston, and Montreal. The cream of the East that is not.

Montreal, the team we just beat, did all the dirty work for us. And no team has EVER won a third series coming off back-to-back 7-game series.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:32 AM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
He gets credit for keeping them and not dealing them away in some dumb trade when the team was playing like ahole!
Since he has his fair share of dumb trades/moves (Jones anyone?) I can only wonder if it was always his decision. We may never know.....

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Montreal, the team we just beat, did all the dirty work for us. And no team has EVER won a third series coming off back-to-back 7-game series.
I just heard that the other day, I was surprised it's never happened. I figured it might have happened once or twice, but they haven't been doing 7-game series over 4 rounds forever.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
agrudez*

His biggest accomplishments were all corrections for his biggest mistakes.... all of which presented big hurdles for the team to overcome.

- Hiring Lavi in the offseason would have made the team a top 4 seed in the East easily, instead we were 7th and made it in on the last day.

- Signing a more proven goalie to backup Razor would have allowed the team to not NEED to PRAY that a JOURNEYMAN BACKUP/AHL GOALIE could step in and carry us to the SCF.

- Dealing Jones in the offseason would have allowed the team to not have to carry half of his deadweight salary around after Holmgren grew a conscience, which also hamstrung us from getting a goalie at the deadline.

Lavi, Leighton, Richards, Pronger and Giroux all saved Holmgren's *** from getting fired this offseason.

2 of those names were bandaids for his mistakes, 2 were drafted by Clarke and one was vastly overpaid for in a trade.

Holmgren can fleece GMs in trades for minor parts (Leino, Legein, etc.), but he is an absolute dunce with the cap, has far too much of a conscience to be a shrewd business man and is far too comfortable with question marks in key spots than he should be.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Holmgren's neither God nor Satan; he's somewhere between the two like the rest of us.

Having said that, it is clear that he belongs as this team's General Manager and any argument to the contrary belongs in the Marianas Trench of Dumb.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Holmgren's neither God nor Satan; he's somewhere between the two like the rest of us.

Having said that, it is clear that he belongs as this team's General Manager and any argument to the contrary belongs in the Marianas Trench of Dumb.
I'm surprised you didn't want his head just for firing your boy Stevens.

Old
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Jester

Funny thing... the GM that assembled the team we're about to play? Got canned.

Old
05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Funny thing... the GM that assembled the team we're about to play? Got canned.
... and the GM of the team the Flyers just beat.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:53 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Erm, what is Snider going to retire from? He's the CEO or whatever... but Lukko is in charge of the day-to-day for the most part.

Snider is loaded, and cares passionately about the Flyers... I doubt he's going to leave his current role until he's dead.
hes the chairman, in the end the goings on of the team are his call. ive just got the feeling is more the guy in charge from the roberts end of things but snider will eventually get to name his replacement as far as hockey is concerned

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:56 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
... and the GM of the team the Flyers just beat.
I thought Gainey stepped down because of Sergei Kostitsyn's shenanigans.

Old
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I think he was generally tired of the BS in Montreal... but I didn't look into it that hard. But, yes, he didn't get fired, he stepped down.

Old
05-25-2010, 02:42 PM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
His biggest accomplishments were all corrections for his biggest mistakes.... all of which presented big hurdles for the team to overcome.
Probably true, but every GM is gonna have some blunders. It's nice to have a guy who does a decent job cleaning up his own messes, amirite?

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
Probably true, but every GM is gonna have some blunders. It's nice to have a guy who does a decent job cleaning up his own messes, amirite?
If you call costing us the pick that turned into John Carlson, and then trading Steve Downie (who just potted a 20-goal campaign) doing a "decent job," then I guess so.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The Holmgren haters crack me up.

Lapperiere signing, Betts signing, Pronger trade, Leighton off waivers, signing Krajicek, Leino for OKT and a 5th, hiring Jeff Reese......let's stay pissed about Randy Jones though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
I think he was generally tired of the BS in Montreal... but I didn't look into it that hard. But, yes, he didn't get fired, he stepped down.
Gainey did step down... and is actually still a part of the organization.

The point was more that two of the four semi-finalists had changed GMs over the course of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez
I believe he stepped down due to a philosophical difference regarding the team's direction.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
The Holmgren haters crack me up.

Lapperiere signing, Betts signing, Pronger trade, Leighton off waivers, signing Krajicek, Leino for OKT and a 5th, hiring Jeff Reese......let's stay pissed about Randy Jones though.
If you're going to defend him with some honesty, don't reduce the complaints targeted at Holmgren to just Randy Jones.

This playoff run hasn't magically made Holmgren better at managing the salary cap. If you had a complaint about that before (I for one did), then advancing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs has done NOTHING to prove Holmgren's merits there.

The Pronger trade... if we win the Cup, and we're there, then that was a clear win trade. If we don't win the Cup, then it was a clear lose trade. That's how high the stakes were with that deal.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
If you're going to defend him with some honesty, don't reduce the complaints targeted at Holmgren to just Randy Jones.

This playoff run hasn't magically made Holmgren better at managing the salary cap. If you had a complaint about that before (I for one did), then advancing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs has done NOTHING to prove Holmgren's merits there.

The Pronger trade... if we win the Cup, and we're there, then that was a clear win trade. If we don't win the Cup, then it was a clear lose trade. That's how high the stakes were with that deal.
Some people just make me laugh. I bet if you were GM, the flyers would of already won the cup by now, we would have the worlds best prospects in the AHL, and the current team would all be under 21 and superstars.

I just wish people would pull their heads out of their *****. The Pronger trade was certainly not a make or break trade. We dealt lupul ( an underacheiving winger) and signed lappy a fan favourite warrior, we lost sbisa, but gained one of the greatest defensemen of our time, and we lost two first round picks. Boo ****ing who.

We are in the finals of the stanley cup. Let me ask you something, what would you prefere.

The greatest chance at the stanley cup the team has seen for almost 15 years, and two years filled with cap problems,

or a team without pronger, which probably would not of made the playoffs, and the same cap problems every single team in the league faces if it wants to compete.

Argh, some people

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
If you call costing us the pick that turned into John Carlson, and then trading Steve Downie (who just potted a 20-goal campaign) doing a "decent job," then I guess so.
The Eminger/27th pick trade was absolutely awful...however, moving Eminger and Downie for Carle has worked out just fine.
Quote:
If we don't win the Cup, then it was a clear lose trade. That's how high the stakes were with that deal.
Hey, this is a good point. Because, think about it...if the Flyers don't win the Cup this year, but then win it the next 3 years, that trade is a clear loss.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote