HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak wants to take time before thinking new contract

Old
05-25-2010, 03:10 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Halak wants to take time before thinking new contract

Is it just me or do you read into I have to talk to my agent to weigh my options???

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322629

Most players would be "I will let my agent worry about that, I look forward to being a Hab for a longtime to come", but he says nothing.

Are there going to be demands put in place like Price needs to be dealt before they sign?

If that is the case he won't get signed. Not because the Canadiens won't trade him (Price), but it leaves the Habs vulnerable to offer sheets to Halak and handicaps our cap or leaves us with picks and no goalie.

Just find it weird when UFA's on the team are hoping to be back and are vocal about it.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:13 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

He is gone

Nooooooooooooooo

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Plante

Im one of those rare people that think trading price is signing our own death warrent, so if Halak bolts I won't be too upset. Maybe its because I see a lot of theodore in Halak (not in playstyle, but in being figured out over time, ala Jim Carey)

All that aside, it just looked like he wanted a break from hockey, spend time with family and maybe concern himself with contract business after he has had some away time from hockey.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:17 PM
macavoy

Lets not get carried away, look at everything about Halak's demeanor and personality. He isn't into flash, he's quiet but when he speaks, he speaks the truth, he doesn't say the usual PR stuff that players are coached to say.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Keep Price and trade Halak.

He and his agent don't like MTL.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:22 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Im one of those rare people that think trading price is signing our own death warrent, so if Halak bolts I won't be too upset. Maybe its because I see a lot of theodore in Halak (not in playstyle, but in being figured out over time, ala Jim Carey)

All that aside, it just looked like he wanted a break from hockey, spend time with family and maybe concern himself with contract business after he has had some away time from hockey.
I don't want to trade Price as I know he is going to be a good one. My ideal world we keep both, if not we have to keep Price because of his size, age and ceiling. Halak did great for the Habs and I thank him a million times over, but I can't see the Habs mortgaging the future by investing in him long term and then trading the franchise goalie over 20+ NHL teams would love to have in Price.

This is from Walsh's Twitter account:

Sending congrats to "client" Jaroslav Halak. He had a season for the ages, overcame adversity + many nights resembled a frozen cucumber.

I just think it will always be an issue with Walsh, you can't have an agent out their being so vocal all the time and questioning management/coaching and the other goaltender.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:24 PM
coolasprICE

They always say to buy low sell high.

Halak's focus and mental toughness is amazing but Flyers and Hawks have proven that importance of "big name" goalies are not the most important.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

I believe Halak is eligible for salary arbitration as well but I think both sides know that can get ugly fast and not the best road at this point.

As an RFA, he really doesn't have a lot of leverage unless he is seriously considering the KHL of which I highly doubt at this point of his career.
The KHL to me is a league for used to be's and never will be's that can get or continue to get more money than they ever would in the NHL. Nice place to retire but not where you want to spend your prime years.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:25 PM
holyhabs87

It's been a rocky relationship since the begining.

No doubt management hates Walsh and that there is some tension there from what I have heard.

I will be surprised if these two parties can somehow agree on something without going to arbitration.

Then again, it all really depends on what they do with Price.

Walsh's main goal is to make sure Halak makes bank. Treat the Habs right now just like they treated his client.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
googlymoogly

Halak BGL Hammer S Kost to Toronto

For Kessel, Phanuef, Orr

We get speed, dirtiness, and KO punching power

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
RE-HABS

Media and fans are saying that there will be hell to pay if Halak is traded and Price is kept because of the playoff run.

Everyone said the same if they ever got rid of Koivu, life went on and the Habs actually moved forward.

Contract wise with Price it is more affordable because of his season compared to Halak, and it allows the Habs to have him signed short term before UFA status as any deal with Halak now would be a deal leading into UFA status.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Media and fans are saying that there will be hell to pay if Halak is traded and Price is kept because of the playoff run.

Everyone said the same if they ever got rid of Koivu, life went on and the Habs actually moved forward.

Contract wise with Price it is more affordable because of his season compared to Halak, and it allows the Habs to have him signed short term before UFA status as any deal with Halak now would be a deal leading into UFA status.
Price has become a lightning rod for many people. More then Koivu because there was no alternative to Koivu on the roster, there is to Price.

Count me in as one who thinks a Price trade would haunt us down the road. Halak too... but less so.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Turboflex*

If he starts getting obnoxious with contract demands, the habs can file for arbitration and at least have him 1 more year. It would be good to see if he can maintain this kind of play over a 60 game season before signing him to any longer term contract. This guy still only has 130 or so NHL games under his belt (including playoffs).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I don't get where all this negativity is coming from...

The guy just finished an emotionally/physically draining season and playoff run and wants to get away from hockey for a little bit before determining his future. That doesn't mean he doesn't like Montreal, that he doesn't want to re-sign here, or that he has outrageous contract demands -- it means he wants a chance to relax a little bit before making a major life decision. I think he's more than earned that.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

If I'm Gauthier, I put $3M/1 yr on the table starting today... Halak can pick up the pen and sign it anytime he wants... up until June 15th. Then I file for club-elected salary arbitration if there are no negotiations going on. IIRC, the CBA deadline for a player in Halak's class is later than that, but I want to hamstring any posturing Walsh does about RFA offer sheets. It's an empty threat anyway, but on June 15th it goes in the trash bin for good, and hopefully Walsh can start focusing in on real negotiations. If not, then arbitration is probably and easy win for the Habs in this case, so no worries.

It shouldn't be a particularly difficult signing.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

I think he wants to stay. This is a non story. It was a long season for him, he's quiet, reserved. He wants to relax a bit and not think of hockey. They'll talk before July 1st anyway, so don't worry.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
If not, then arbitration is probably and easy win for the Habs in this case, so no worries.

It shouldn't be a particularly difficult signing.
Yes worries. This is a guy who's demanded a trade. You give him his contract or you let him go. We have trouble attracting free agents yet we want to treat our players like **** by giving them 1 year when they deserve more? No thanks.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
TankEller*

If Halak gets traded, so be it, I'm prepared for this, and IMHO, we'll all regret taking potential before hard work.

Halak might not be the biggest, the tallest, or the more natural goalie, but he's got some skills only him and a few players in the NHL have developed that much: The skill of hard-work. This is a skill, and it's as rare as any of Price's natural abilities.

Halak will go away and perform like a chief, we have to accept that no matter who we deal away between Halak and Price, he will perform elsewhere. However, with Halak, we have a proven goalie, and with Price, we have a guy that might never even achieve his potential here. Can you just imagine how the Bell Centre crowd will react if Halak gets traded because of the treatement he got versus Price ever since he came in Hamilton? They will never, EVER forgive Carey.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:49 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Yes worries.
Scared he never ever will give Price the change to gain the #1 spot again?

Old
05-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Masao

Another guy who has his best career performance in a contract year...

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
If Halak gets traded, so be it, I'm prepared for this, and IMHO, we'll all regret taking potential before hard work.

Halak might not be the biggest, the tallest, or the more natural goalie, but he's got some skills only him and a few players in the NHL have developed that much: The skill of hard-work. This is a skill, and it's as rare as any of Price's natural abilities.

Halak will go away and perform like a chief, we have to accept that no matter who we deal away between Halak and Price, he will perform elsewhere. However, with Halak, we have a proven goalie, and with Price, we have a guy that might never even achieve his potential here. Can you just imagine how the Bell Centre crowd will react if Halak gets traded because of the treatement he got versus Price ever since he came in Hamilton? They will never, EVER forgive Carey.
Not carey's fault, and I'm pretty sure whichever of the two, if traded this summer, will go based on the return and how much they are looking for in a contract. Carey, since being demoted, has been professional. Working hard in practice, supporting his teammates. Maybe the average fan in the stands wouldn't know that, but I hope that if management chooses Price over halak for cap/return reasons, we'd all understand it was a management decision, not a carey price decision. Price, if he works hard, will be as good or better than halak, but it depends on how hard he's willing to work.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:53 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Scared he never ever will give Price the change to gain the #1 spot again?
Huh?

I'm saying we should treat our players with more respect. We either sign him long term or we let him go. Forcing arbitration on the guy for a 1 year deal is a dirty move and bad for the image and reputation of this franchise.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Price has become a lightning rod for many people. More then Koivu because there was no alternative to Koivu on the roster, there is to Price.

Count me in as one who thinks a Price trade would haunt us down the road. Halak too... but less so.
If Price has a rough start next season, and Halak is tearing it up elsewhere in the NHL, how the hell do you think the fans willreact to this? They will never forgive Price.

I know you'll all come back and say: "**** the Bell Centre crowd!" or "Just get them out!" or "Who cares?!"... This is not the way it works. We'll end up with our hands empty, once again, and we'll have let both goalies go in the end.

The Bell Centre crowd already is on Price's back, it just will get even worst if Halak gets traded.

No matter what happens, there's a huge risk to be taken by Gauthier next summer. But reading Walsh's and Halak's comments, I don't think keeping both is an option anymore.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Not carey's fault, and I'm pretty sure whichever of the two, if traded this summer, will go based on the return and how much they are looking for in a contract. Carey, since being demoted, has been professional. Working hard in practice, supporting his teammates. Maybe the average fan in the stands wouldn't know that, but I hope that if management chooses Price over halak for cap/return reasons, we'd all understand it was a management decision, not a carey price decision. Price, if he works hard, will be as good or better than halak, but it depends on how hard he's willing to work.
And you actually think the Bell Centre crowd will all of a sudden adopt Price as a prodigee and cheer him to death after what Halak did for them a couple of months before? Come on, you know better than that.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Jakomyte

I don't think he deserves THAT big a contract. Cam Ward actually won the Cup/Conn Smythe in 2006 and what did he get?

3 years, $2 mil, $2.5 mil, $3.5 mil (average of $2.67 mil over 3 years)

Taking inflation into consideration (2007 = 2.85%, 2008 = 3.85%, 2009 = -0.34%) and we're looking at a contract of about:

3 years, $2.13 mil, $2.66 mil, $3.73 mil (average of $2.84 mil over 3 years).

Even if he negotiates a better deal, he doesn't deserve any more than $3-3.5 mil/year. If he wants more than that, I say trade him. If we get him in the $2.5-$3.5 range, we should be able to keep both him and Price for the next 2-3 years.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote