HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stoll to Edmonton

Old
05-24-2010, 12:15 PM
ERC91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Well, that's what traveling Oiler fans told me at the Staple Center earlier in the season.
I think that for every player on a team (maybe except superstars) you will find fans who dislike him.

I think that after a season like this, where we had lots of heartless douchbags (Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Moreau, etc... etc...), many people would like to have some of the "old boys" (Stoll, Greene, maybe even Smyth) back.

But it seems like there is not a real chance of it.

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Well, that's what traveling Oiler fans told me at the Staple Center earlier in the season.
What did they say?

I can't speak for all of Edmonton but I can tell you that the opinion of all the Oiler fans I know is not negative in any way towards Stoll.

Not sure that there would be a trade that would make sense for both clubs but if it did happen Rexall wouldn't boo him upon his return or anything like that.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:47 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Realistically, a 2nd and a 3rd should suffice.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
I think that losing Gilbert is not an option at all. Gilbert and Whitney have good chemistry together and besides we are very weak at defensive depth.

Either I missed the irony or your fanbse is also a bit split.
You didn't

if it comes to Stoll we have black and white pictures.... nothing between.

We just have lovers and haters.

One half is having him as a 2nd line center with a great shot.

The other half thinks 4 PP goals doesn't point to a great shot
and he hurts the Kings a lot because he holds his linemates back because
of his slowness and his far below average hockey IQ.
In reality he makes the whole PP predictable and lost his shot.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
While i would love to have Stolly back in Edmonton, i just don't think there is a viable trade between the two teams.... Unless we somehow unload Horcoff, i just don't think a trade works.

As it currently stands, Edmonton and LA are bad trading partners. We both need a top four defender, we both have an overload of great third-to-decent-second line centers (although, LA has a legitimate number one guy), and we are in seperate stages. Edmonton wants to rebuild, and LA wants to bud itself into a contender.

I mean, unless you want to take fliers on guys like Moreau, Souray, Nilsson, or Khabbibulin... i just don't see it working out.
Good post. Thanks for coming over.

...I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I'd take a flyer on Moreau depending on how our salaries shake out. /runs for cover

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Good post. Thanks for coming over.

...I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I'd take a flyer on Moreau depending on how our salaries shake out. /runs for cover
I definitely like the idea of adding Moreau to our team. I just don't think the oilers would trade their captain, but I could be wrong.

Just checked out Moreau on capgeek, and he makes 2 mil and is a ufa at the end of next year. I'm thinking Moreau and a mid round pick may get it done.

Old
05-24-2010, 01:58 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
The only complaint I have seen about Stoll by Oiler fans is the rate at which he breaks sticks.

I remember thinking I would rather have Gilbert over Greene when he was an Oiler. I definitely don't feel that way anymore, although Gilbert is a decent dman with room to improve.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:05 AM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
The only complaint I have seen about Stoll by Oiler fans is the rate at which he breaks sticks.

I remember thinking I would rather have Gilbert over Greene when he was an Oiler. I definitely don't feel that way anymore, although Gilbert is a decent dman with room to improve.
This... Stoll breaks sticks more often than Don Cherry offends Non-Canadians with his xenophobic old school opinions.

I think Moreau would be available for sure, he doesn't seem happy with the state of the Oilers right now (but who is really?). Quinn seems to think the feeling between the two sides is mutual with the frequency he calls him and other vets out at. That being said, i think Moreau suffered a lot this season due to his horrific eye injury, as his game seemed to return to normal within the last ten games or so.

I think he wouldn't be too pricey to acquire at all. Whether there is a deal for Stoll or not, who knows.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:39 AM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Realistically, a 2nd and a 3rd should suffice.
As far as it is Nashville's -> done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I definitely like the idea of adding Moreau to our team. I just don't think the oilers would trade their captain, but I could be wrong.

Just checked out Moreau on capgeek, and he makes 2 mil and is a ufa at the end of next year. I'm thinking Moreau and a mid round pick may get it done.
I assure you, we would.

I guess evrey Oiler fan would trade Moreau + a mid round pick for Stoll.

Old
05-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Sayuri

Does Stoll still break sticks a the same rate?

I only watched probably 15 Kings games all year but I honestly don't remember seeing him break one.

Old
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
stoll and jones for souray!

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_fan85 View Post

I only watched probably 15 Kings games all year but I honestly don't remember seeing him break one.
No

He breaks the glass behind the net.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:

Actually not, he tried out plenty of sticks during the offseason 2 years ago and I am 100% sure he broke less than 5 this year.

His shot still usually goes high&wide tho.

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
stoll and jones for souray!
Randy is a UFA.

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loktionov View Post
Actually not, he tried out plenty of sticks during the offseason 2 years ago and I am 100% sure he broke less than 5 this year.

His shot still usually goes high&wide tho.
Truthfully he's probably shooting wide on purpose half the time. With a guy like Smytty in front of the net you gotta shoot for the tip in. They did a lot of that in Edmonton.

Old
05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Truthfully he's probably shooting wide on purpose half the time. With a guy like Smytty in front of the net you gotta shoot for the tip in. They did a lot of that in Edmonton.
They're usually both high and wide so unfortunately no chance for a tip. His shot has been pretty atrocious lately. It was pretty good last season but this year he just couldn't find his aim.

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
What would Moreau take? 4th? 3rd?
Oilers would take that deal in a second. Moreau is not part of their future plans, and not having to take any salary back would be a huge bonus.

BTW, regarding Gilbert. Anyone who saw the Whitney-Gilbert pairing after Whitney joined the team knows that neither player is going anywhere anytime soon. I know it was only 20 games or so, but they were exceptional. If they can continue playing like that, then the Oilers would actually have a pretty decent 1st pairing.

Re: Stoll. Hard to say if the fans would want him back. The cap hit is too high for what Stoll brings, but they desperately could use those skills. Some fans would probably argue that there are cheaper alternatives and pass, but I think others might agree to it if LA were willing to eat some salary in return (eg. Moreau, Nilsson, Souray).

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
O
Re: Stoll. Hard to say if the fans would want him back. The cap hit is too high for what Stoll brings, but they desperately could use those skills. Some fans would probably argue that there are cheaper alternatives and pass,
Just out of curiosity...who?

3.6 mil is a pretty damn good cap hit for 50 point center, who can win faceoffs, play the point, kill penalties, and is a great mentor to the youth.
My real only knock on Stoll since He's been here would be not playing 82 game seasons.
IMO, He's been slightly better than what I expected.

Comparing his cap hit to other Oilers

Horcoff @ 5.5 , I would take Stoll
O'Sullivan at 2.925. I would take Stoll
Pisani @2.500(I know He's a UFA) I would take Stoll.

I would think 3.6 would definitely be affordable for what Stoll brings.

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 05-25-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old
05-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
They're usually both high and wide so unfortunately no chance for a tip. His shot has been pretty atrocious lately. It was pretty good last season but this year he just couldn't find his aim.
Yeah high isn't good. That's kind of strange, I don't remember him having trouble with aim at all while he was an Oiler. Maybe his new stick sacrifices a bit of precision for strength.

Old
05-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Oilers would take that deal in a second. Moreau is not part of their future plans, and not having to take any salary back would be a huge bonus.

BTW, regarding Gilbert. Anyone who saw the Whitney-Gilbert pairing after Whitney joined the team knows that neither player is going anywhere anytime soon. I know it was only 20 games or so, but they were exceptional. If they can continue playing like that, then the Oilers would actually have a pretty decent 1st pairing.

Re: Stoll. Hard to say if the fans would want him back. The cap hit is too high for what Stoll brings, but they desperately could use those skills. Some fans would probably argue that there are cheaper alternatives and pass, but I think others might agree to it if LA were willing to eat some salary in return (eg. Moreau, Nilsson, Souray).
We're not really in cap hell for next year with a few contracts likely leaving the books. 3.6 is something I think we could handle especially for things we desperately need.

Old
05-25-2010, 01:31 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
I assure you, we would.

I guess evrey Oiler fan would trade Moreau + a mid round pick for Stoll.
Well, then, make it happen. Moreau would be a great fit as our 3rd line forward.

Old
05-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Just out of curiosity...who?

3.6 mil is a pretty damn good cap hit for 50 point center, who can win faceoffs, play the point, kill penalties, and is a great mentor to the youth.
My real only knock on Stoll since He's been here would be not playing 82 game seasons.
IMO, He's been slightly better than what I expected.

Comparing his cap hit to other Oilers

Horcoff @ 5.5 , I would take Stoll
O'Sullivan at 2.925. I would take Stoll
Pisani @2.500(I know He's a UFA) I would take Stoll.

I would think 3.6 would definitely be affordable for what Stoll brings.
It's hard to say if Stoll would be the 2nd line C in EDM. I kinda think that's what got him traded in the 1st place... they decided to go with Horcoff and Gagner as the 1 and 2 and that left Stoll as the odd man out. Most Oiler fans would probably say that they no longer want to see Horcoff as a top 6 player, but I doubt even re-acquiring Stoll guarantees that Horcoff gets bumped to the 3rd line.

Obviously, I have no pull with the coach, but if it were me I'd either draft Seguin or draft Hall with the intent of moving him to center. If that happens, then you have Gagner and Horcoff on the 2nd and 3rd lines, which once again makes Stoll an expensive luxury.

I don't think they're necessarily pining for Stoll's offense (although it would certainly be nice to have), they just want a center that can win faceoffs and kill penalties. And 3.6M for a player like that is expensive. As I said before though, it would not necessarily be a bad move for EDM if LA were willing to take some salary back.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
ERC91

Quote:
It's hard to say if Stoll would be the 2nd line C in EDM. I kinda think that's what got him traded in the 1st place... they decided to go with Horcoff and Gagner as the 1 and 2 and that left Stoll as the odd man out. Most Oiler fans would probably say that they no longer want to see Horcoff as a top 6 player, but I doubt even re-acquiring Stoll guarantees that Horcoff gets bumped to the 3rd line.

Obviously, I have no pull with the coach, but if it were me I'd either draft Seguin or draft Hall with the intent of moving him to center. If that happens, then you have Gagner and Horcoff on the 2nd and 3rd lines, which once again makes Stoll an expensive luxury.

I don't think they're necessarily pining for Stoll's offense (although it would certainly be nice to have), they just want a center that can win faceoffs and kill penalties. And 3.6M for a player like that is expensive. As I said before though, it would not necessarily be a bad move for EDM if LA were willing to take some salary back.
My premier idea with that whole thing was to develop our kids properly. Therefor it's IMO important not to ice a team completely consisting of unexperienced players or rookies.

E.g. a line of Hall - Brule - Eberle would come close to suicide. Not only they are small, but also completely inexperienced.
Most of our offensive vets (Moreau, Pisani, Comrie,...) will be gone and guys like Horcoff are not really poeple whom you want to teach your rookies something about attitude and dedication.

Stoll brings a lot of what I think is important for developing young players:
- experience
- size
- work ethic
- two-way ability (also including face-offs)

Old
05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
My premier idea with that whole thing was to develop our kids properly. Therefor it's IMO important not to ice a team completely consisting of unexperienced players or rookies.

E.g. a line of Hall - Brule - Eberle would come close to suicide. Not only they are small, but also completely inexperienced.
Most of our offensive vets (Moreau, Pisani, Comrie,...) will be gone and guys like Horcoff are not really poeple whom you want to teach your rookies something about attitude and dedication.

- experience
- size
- work ethic
Ding Ding! He gets it.

Old
05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Sayuri

Quote:

- experience
- size
- work ethic
I agree whole heartedly