HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers get blueliner Niemi from Isles

Old
05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

vCash: 500
A nothing signing. Too many question marks right now.

I'll wait and see what he does in camp and where he ends up.

97 mile an hour shots are nice. If they actually hit the net. If this kid is another cross-eyed spazz; we have enough of those already.

The defensemen we have now are perfectly capable of missing the net on their own. They do need any further further assistence from this kid.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:03 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Supposedly he wasn't going to sign a pro contract with the Piles so they get a free 6th rounder out of it.
Get better information Robbie....the Isles were not going to offer him a contract. The supposedly he wasn't going to sign RUMOR was created here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Definitely. He's still a decent prospect but the Isles certainly had higher hopes when they drafted him. Rumor was that he didn't want to sign with the Islanders.
There was no rumor. The isles straight up were not going to offer him a contract. We have a lot of people under contract and will have more after this draft.

I would read a little more on Niemi. The Isles get a 6th round and maybe he works out for the Rangers. The recent scouting reports on him were not good.

He has a crazy hard shot ...maybe MAB part 2?

www.islanderspointblank.com has some good information on him when he was drafted and little tibbits up till this point.

He has be signed by June 1st still correct?

its a win win for both teams if Niemi signs for you

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
Get better information Robbie....the Isles were not going to offer him a contract. The supposedly he wasn't going to sign RUMOR was created here.

There was no rumor. The isles straight up were not going to offer him a contract. We have a lot of people under contract and will have more after this draft.

I would read a little more on Niemi. The Isles get a 6th round and maybe he works out for the Rangers. The recent scouting reports on him were not good.

www.islanderspointblank.com has some good information on him when he was drafted and little tibbits up till this point.

The Rangers signed him today.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:08 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers signed him today.
Nice. Its a win/win trade in my eyes.

He does have a sick shot.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:10 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Nice. Its a win/win trade in my eyes.

He does have a sick shot.
Quote:
The Rangers and Niemi have agreed to terms on a contract. Niemi is expected to attend the Rangers' annual Prospect Development Camp this summer in the days following the NHL Entry Draft.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:10 PM
beastly115

Another reclamation project?

Oh well. Can't be any worse than what we would have picked in the 6th anyway.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:11 PM
LyNX27

Obligatory "Stanley Cup, here we come" post... Low risk trade for someone who could potentially pan out.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

People are forgetting that this kid is still 19 years old. 19! He's not some 23 year old prospect that been bouncing around all over the place trying to find his game.

He is a decent prospect, that has just as many questions marks as any other 19 year old prospect.

Played very well for the WJC Finland team this year.

This is a great move by Sather since we pretty much gave up nothing.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Small wins are still wins. 6th round picks aren't worth too much (every once in a while you'll get lucky) but I think this kid definitely has more value than a late pick. With the amount of young D-Men we have, we should probably end up with a totally homegrown D corps in a few years.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

You're right, that was my fault for mixing up the situation.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

I watched this kid live for a few games up in Saskatoon last season and I have to say that I was pretty impressed with what i saw. He has a bit of a mean-streak in him, played fairly physical. But the thing that impressed me the most was his shot and especially his onetimers from the blueline, always on net and they were absolute BOMBS! He scored some nice goals from the blueline on the PP.
Though this kid is a work in progress and there is no way he is NHL ready yet, I would say he is a good prospect for us.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Meh. Hopefully if he gets over his injury issues he can be a good depth player. Odds are he's better value than we would get for a 6th.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
I have watched this kid live for a few games up in Saskatoon last season and I have to say that I was pretty impressed with what i saw. He has a bit of a mean-streak in him, played fairly physical. But the thing that impressed me the most was his shot and especially his onetimers from the blueline, always on net and they were absolute BOMBS! He scored some nice goals from the blueline on the PP.
Though this kid is a work in progress and there is no way he is NHL ready yet, I would say he is a good prospect for us.
This is what I like to hear. 1st hand knowledge. I would be fine with him becoming even a MAB part 2. Bergeron has value.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Matteau Matteau

I see no reason to be negative about it. Sounds like he has good potential, and all we gave up was a freakin' 6th rounder. We'll see what happens, but it's pretty low-risk regardless, IMO.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:42 PM
nyr2417

sounds to me this kid is an offensive d-man that is a little more physical than sangs. My thinking is this trade was done to make sangs expendable possibly in a package for sharp

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
jniklast

Maybe Sather wants to have a free second draft day with all the picks he's traded

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
ColonialsHockey10

From looking at his stats and seeing the decline I would assume he is no longer as valuable as the Islands once thought he would be. I'd imagine he spends another season in Saskatoon, with Klassen gone maybe he'll get more ice time. Good trade IMO, very little risk and high reward. Niemi has the size and shot to be a good defenseman.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Maybe Sather wants to have a free second draft day with all the picks he's traded
I'm thinking this too, he wants to suck on his cigars longer. Regardless, low risk trade, makes Sangs expendable, never know what could be in the works...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Vitto79

so he was the Captain of Finland and was just not going to sign with the Isles.I find that funny since he will still be playing in NY but whatever.

Sangs is so gone. The D prospects keep building

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so he was the Captain of Finland and was just not going to sign with the Isles.I find that funny since he will still be playing in NY but whatever.

Acquiring Niemi does not make Sanguinetti expendable. Drafting a defenseman in the 1st or 2nd round in the draft on the other hand...

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

Saying Niemi makes Sanguinetti expandable is like saying Aasen makes Gaborik expandable.

If Glen Sather plans on replacing a 40 point AHL defenseman for a bunch of reclamation projects and college signees then the future of this organizations is even more ****ed than it looks.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Saying Niemi makes Sanguinetti expandable is like saying Aasen makes Gaborik expandable.

If Glen Sather plans on replacing a 40 point AHL defenseman for a bunch of reclamation projects and college signees then the future of this organizations is even more ****ed than it looks.
no but if he signs McDonaugh and adds Niemi then that still gives them depth in D prospects where they can deal Sangs for a scoring Forward which they desperatly need

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
DrZoidberg

Sounds like Sather is building for the coach. We're getting younger, alright. I'm a little optimistic to see what's to come.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Niemi and Klassen are very different players so comparing them is like apples and oranges. It MIGHT make Sangs expendable, might not.

The Hartford D next year will have Kundratek, Niemi, Klassen, Baldwin, and who knows who else. (Valatenko, Sauer? Sangs? etc.)

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:16 PM
JayDubayou19

As somebody said before, it wasn't that Niemi was not going to sign with the Islanders. That is a rumor started in this thread.

The Islanders were simply not going to offer a contract to him, so they got something out of it.

Smart move IMO.

JayDubayou19 is offline   Reply With Quote