HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers get blueliner Niemi from Isles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
  #76
iamaranger
Registered User
 
iamaranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: long island
Country: United States
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
any relation to Antti?

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
  #77
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Supposedly he wants pretty big money, and the Isles wouldn't give it to him, so there you go.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
  #78
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Supposedly he wants pretty big money, and the Isles wouldn't give it to him, so there you go.
Yeah, because he stagnated from his draft year. I don't think any Islander fan had high hopes for him by the middle of last year.

Maybe he'll find himself with the Rangers. Might as well trade a low-round pick for him. It's a win for both teams.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
  #79
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 500
Slats is building for a draft-day trade to move some cap... I just know it.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:29 PM
  #80
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Yeah, because he stagnated from his draft year. I don't think any Islander fan had high hopes for him by the middle of last year.

Maybe he'll find himself with the Rangers. Might as well trade a low-round pick for him. It's a win for both teams.
Anytime you draft a guy in the third round and then 2 years later trade him away for a 6th rounder you do not win.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:31 PM
  #81
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Anytime you draft a guy in the third round and then 2 years later trade him away for a 6th rounder you do not win.
You do if you get something for a guy who you were going to lose for nothing.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:32 PM
  #82
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You do if you get something for a guy who you were going to lose for nothing.
They still lose because they wasted a 3rd round pick 2 years ago only to get a 6th round pick in it's place 2 years later.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:32 PM
  #83
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Basically it is a good depth move. Nothing wrong with that.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:32 PM
  #84
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Anytime you draft a guy in the third round and then 2 years later trade him away for a 6th rounder you do not win.
So the Isles should have just let him go? That's good asset management.

Niemi was good value at the time he was picked based on his scouting rankings. It hasn't clicked for him (yet). Why not get something for it and try again?

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:33 PM
  #85
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
They still lose because they wasted a 3rd round pick 2 years ago.
Most 3rd round picks don't make it. If every team moved the players who didn't develop the way they wanted for later picks, I am sure they would consider it an alright gamble.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:35 PM
  #86
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Most 3rd round picks don't make it. If every team moved the players who didn't develop the way they wanted for later picks, I am sure they would consider it an alright gamble.
And again, we are talking about a 19 year old.

They got rid of him because he didn't want to sign with him, not because he is done developing and didn't pan out.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:41 PM
  #87
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post

They got rid of him because he didn't want to sign with him, not because he is done developing and didn't pan out.
I'm not saying you're wrong...but how do we know this is true?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:45 PM
  #88
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
And again, we are talking about a 19 year old.

They got rid of him because he didn't want to sign with him, not because he is done developing and didn't pan out.
I believe that was falsely reported in this thread. The Islanders were not enamored with his play and therefore were not going to offer him a contract. They have had a glut of picks the last few years and I would imagine that they dont want to waste a contract on him if they dont feel he has progressed enough. The Rangers must have the space to do so. Win-win.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
  #89
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,754
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
They still lose because they wasted a 3rd round pick 2 years ago only to get a 6th round pick in it's place 2 years later.
They lose at the draft table, succeed in the trade. So the pick didn't work out, you just let him go for nothing rather than acquiring a pick for him? That makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
And again, we are talking about a 19 year old.

They got rid of him because he didn't want to sign with him, not because he is done developing and didn't pan out.
Apparently, that's not true. THEY didn't want to sign HIM.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:49 PM
  #90
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Most 3rd round picks don't make it. If every team moved the players who didn't develop the way they wanted for later picks, I am sure they would consider it an alright gamble.
Would you be happy getting a 6th round pick for Kundratek?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
  #91
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They lose at the draft table, succeed in the trade. So the pick didn't work out, you just let him go for nothing rather than acquiring a pick for him? That makes no sense.



Apparently, that's not true. THEY didn't want to sign HIM.
I'm hearing both along with he wanted a lot of money. Do you have confirmation on that?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:53 PM
  #92
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Would you be happy getting a 6th round pick for Kundratek?
Would you be happy getting a 6th rounder for Ryan Hillier?

How about Antoine Lafleur(who was a 2nd rounder)?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:57 PM
  #93
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Would you be happy getting a 6th rounder for Ryan Hillier?

How about Antoine Lafleur(who was a 2nd rounder)?
If the end result is Carl Hagelin, yes...Greg Beller, not so much.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:58 PM
  #94
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Would you be happy getting a 6th rounder for Ryan Hillier?

How about Antoine Lafleur(who was a 2nd rounder)?
I'm still failing to see the relevance.

Hillier is a 22 year old who has been in the ECHL for 2 seasons already and has done nothing.

And Lafleur was just a brutal pick that doesn't even play hockey anymore.

The Kundratek example was a good one though. I wouldn't be happy to trade him for a 6th at this point, that would make no sense.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:58 PM
  #95
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If the end result is Carl Hagelin, yes...Greg Beller, not so much.
Well of course!

I am not saying it is a great move in hindsight, but if he wasn't in their plans any longer than getting something is better than nothing. Thats all.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:00 PM
  #96
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I'm still failing to see the relevance.

Hillier is a 22 year old who has been in the ECHL for 2 seasons already and has done nothing.

And Lafleur was just a brutal pick that doesn't even play hockey anymore.

The Kundratek example was a good one though. I wouldn't be happy to trade him for a 6th at this point.
I was showing how a prospect can just not impress in his years leading up to their contracts. Hillier was a 3rd rounder, just like Niemi. Lafleur was actually picked higher in the 2nd round. I am not saying Niemi is a bad player. What I am saying is that he wasnt in the Islanders plans and they were able to get an asset in return. Not horrible.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
  #97
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I was showing how a prospect can just not impress in his years leading up to their contracts. Hillier was a 3rd rounder, just like Niemi. Lafleur was actually picked higher in the 2nd round. I am not saying Niemi is a bad player. What I am saying is that he wasnt in the Islanders plans and they were able to get an asset in return. Not horrible.
Ah gotcha, yea it make's sense, just in hindsight the pick was bad if they didn't have him in their plans, especially for someone who is still a decent prospect.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:13 PM
  #98
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
Good trade for us. Wonder what else might be in the works.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:23 PM
  #99
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,754
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I'm hearing both along with he wanted a lot of money. Do you have confirmation on that?
I don't. A couple pages back one of the Isles fans posted a link to one of their beat writer's Twitter pages that said the Isles weren't going to offer him a contract. Also, a lot of Isles posters have said that the "rumors" of him not wanting to sign were completely unfounded and originated in this thread.

It's certainly not confirmation, but it seems like the more plausible scenario to me. JMO.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:33 PM
  #100
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Yeah, because he stagnated from his draft year. I don't think any Islander fan had high hopes for him by the middle of last year.

Maybe he'll find himself with the Rangers. Might as well trade a low-round pick for him. It's a win for both teams.
I wouldn't say he stagnated. He got better, but the injuries have slowed his progress immensely. He wanted a decent amount of $$$ and the Isles just didn't want to pay. I trust our scouts here and I'm sure you trust yours.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.