HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards and The Prince of Wales Trophy

Old
05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

vCash: 500
Interesting, Ken Daneyko claimed on Hockey Night Live! the other day that Stevens never touched it.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:36 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Interesting, Ken Daneyko claimed on Hockey Night Live! the other day that Stevens never touched it.
I believe Stevens has done it both ways on different occasions, and actually also saw Daneyko say as much last night on The Daily Line.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:38 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Stevens also touched it in 2000...but I didn't want to post that video.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
chaosof99*

Obligatory:

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:49 PM
thevoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
God thinking back to that series makes me want to punt babies. That was the biggest let down of a series ever.
I still have an unworn shirt from that series with the sticker on it. I'll give it to you cheap

thevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:02 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

I yelled at the tv. I'm a bit superstitious, however. The more I think about it, I kinda like what he did. They have earned where they have gotten and to not celebrate it even a little is kinda stupid. Plus from what I read Gags and Briere were all for it.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:07 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

It looked like Bill Daly did a bit of a doubletake when Richie grabbed it. Kind of a "oh, you WANT to take it??"

I love Richie's comment about it in the press conference. "We haven't done anything conventional this year or especially in this playoffs, so we might as well go against the grain one more time".

It's not the ultimate prize, but I'm glad he took it, allowed the fans and his teammates to celebrate a little, and took it off the ice.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Ychocky

So much confidence there. "Thanks very much." Grabs it and skates off.

Ychocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
thevoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Excuse me, sir, but Flyers fans aren't like certain other franchises. We've been living and dying by this team since before they became relevant just this year, so it's been a lot more than 82 games and the playoffs for us...
Luckily, for Snider at least, the Flyers have been relevant in philly for many decades. Even in their lean years before Lindros, the Spectrum was almost always full. It may be a little more difficult to duplicate that now with their megarena, but I can't imagine the Flyers ever pulling a 4,000 showing of support, like the Hawks were doing a few years back.

Respect the game you play. Respect its traditions. Respect the trophy you win. Respect the logo on your sweater and the fans who pay their good money to support it. Graciously accept the trophy that you and your teammates have earned. The rafters in the arenas would be very empty if teams chose to only accept Stanley Cup Championship banners.

Imagine if this rediculousness was everywhere. "No, Sir, I do not wish to accept my 'Star Scout' badge, my goal is 'Eagle Scout', Sir." "I understand that, son, however, without first becoming a 'Star Scout', one cannot become an 'Eagle Scout'".

Or, "thank you for offering me this promotion, Sir, however, I must decline. After all, it is your job that I want. Accepting this promotion might make me lose focus, become complacent, and give up on my end goal."

Way to go, Flyers! All the right moves. Keep writing this script and making history!

thevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:37 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoice View Post
Imagine if this rediculousness was everywhere. "No, Sir, I do not wish to accept my 'Star Scout' badge, my goal is 'Eagle Scout', Sir." "I understand that, son, however, without first becoming a 'Star Scout', one cannot become an 'Eagle Scout'".

Or, "thank you for offering me this promotion, Sir, however, I must decline. After all, it is your job that I want. Accepting this promotion might make me lose focus, become complacent, and give up on my end goal."
Great analogies.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
clockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePolishOne24 View Post
It may be a tradition to "not" touch it but if you look back in the last 8 years, 4 players that touched it won and 4 that didnt won... This may have been said before but back in 97 Lindros didnt touch it and the Red Wings did... just sayin
I believe every team that has touched it has won the chalice (Campbell, Wales, East, West).

Pretty sure Mario touched it before back to back cup wins in 90-91, 91-92 too.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:15 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwise View Post
I believe every team that has touched it has won the chalice (Campbell, Wales, East, West).

Pretty sure Mario touched it before back to back cup wins in 90-91, 91-92 too.
Yep, Mario twice, Stevens once and Cindy once.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote