HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak wants to take time before thinking new contract

Old
05-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I don't get where all this negativity is coming from...

The guy just finished an emotionally/physically draining season and playoff run and wants to get away from hockey for a little bit before determining his future. That doesn't mean he doesn't like Montreal, that he doesn't want to re-sign here, or that he has outrageous contract demands -- it means he wants a chance to relax a little bit before making a major life decision. I think he's more than earned that.
Finally some common sense on this thread.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:40 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
The Price's Lover Boys are badly wishing Halak won't re-sign.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
credibility = gone in one second
I'm not going to jump and guess his conclusions (like you should'nt either) but he's right. Give Halak a break, he never said he would test free agency out! If that's what he meant, then yeah, I would be worried too. But there is yet to be a reason for him to test it. He knows what he built here, he knows he can steal it away from Price. Let him enjoy what he built, what he means to this city, and then come back. I would want him to take a long (fishing?) trip and let everything seap in. Can you imagne, any one of you, what must be going through his head at 25, playing in this city? I can't. Let him enjoy some well deserved time off

As for Price, well.... I've supported and been guidy since the draft day. All he accomplished young, what he meant for the teams the played for. I'm still a huge supporter but I can't deny what Halak did for us this year. Some ppl say Price has bigger potential... but why let potential speak when actions speak so much louder.

If we trade Halak, I will be very very dissapointed. But I will still be grateful and thankful that Price is there. Who knows, if he peaks like the average GREAT goaly does, he will be phenominal!

If we trade Price and we get great return.... can any one of us be dissapointed? To be led by Halak? Like he did against 2 of the best offensive teams in the league?

Remeber guys, you do not have to make the decision, you do not have ALL the stress related to it.... so relax, enjoy what we did (and that the Laughs are about to become the team to have gone without the cup the longest), and come back fresh for the new season, ready to support the team in front of us..... after all, it's all we can do!

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
"Most fans" would disagree with you.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
acemobile

Send a message via MSN to acemobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The Price's Lover Boys are badly wishing Halak won't re-sign.
Yup...

acemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Media and fans are saying that there will be hell to pay if Halak is traded and Price is kept because of the playoff run.

Everyone said the same if they ever got rid of Koivu, life went on and the Habs actually moved forward.

Contract wise with Price it is more affordable because of his season compared to Halak, and it allows the Habs to have him signed short term before UFA status as any deal with Halak now would be a deal leading into UFA status.
Big difference here. First, let just say that on this board, some people probably stopped being a Habs fans the day Koivu left. But most people agreed that it was time to move on. Koivu was getting old, Gainey let him go, nobody said a single thing about him leaving, not even sure people thanked him for his years of service with our team.

As far as Halak is concerned, it's a total different story for 2 things. The love of Halak, the underdog, the 9th rounder that surprised people and save the day VERSUS ('cause like we saw a lot on this very own board) a spoiled kid, partying, not having a great work ethic (until late this year) who started high, looked promising, though to this day didn't delievered. Then came the boos and the fact that Price is not appreciated for all sorts of right and wrong reasons.

So not only you'd trade a guy who made this run possible, but you would prefer the kid that some people are starting to hate? Isn't that pretty clear that if the next season doesn't go accordingly, that one of the favorite sports of some would be to watch Halak succeed elsewhere and then be on Price's back for not performing while the other can.....

I'm not saying it's ideal, but if there's one scenario I don't see, is to keep Price and trade Halak. I don't see it for the possibility of a BIG time distraction. The only way you'd be able to make fans like Price again is by keeping that duo together and to see Price, one day, saves our ass once Halak fails, if he fails. Then, he'll go back at being our hero. But if you trade Halak, you better wish Price is on it right from the first PRESEASON game.....

And we all know we can do without distractions....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
SonOfGom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Big difference here. First, let just say that on this board, some people probably stopped being a Habs fans the day Koivu left. But most people agreed that it was time to move on. Koivu was getting old, Gainey let him go, nobody said a single thing about him leaving, not even sure people thanked him for his years of service with our team.

As far as Halak is concerned, it's a total different story for 2 things. The love of Halak, the underdog, the 9th rounder that surprised people and save the day VERSUS ('cause like we saw a lot on this very own board) a spoiled kid, partying, not having a great work ethic (until late this year) who started high, looked promising, though to this day didn't delievered. Then came the boos and the fact that Price is not appreciated for all sorts of right and wrong reasons.

So not only you'd trade a guy who made this run possible, but you would prefer the kid that some people are starting to hate? Isn't that pretty clear that if the next season doesn't go accordingly, that one of the favorite sports of some would be to watch Halak succeed elsewhere and then be on Price's back for not performing while the other can.....

I'm not saying it's ideal, but if there's one scenario I don't see, is to keep Price and trade Halak. I don't see it for the possibility of a BIG time distraction. The only way you'd be able to make fans like Price again is by keeping that duo together and to see Price, one day, saves our ass once Halak fails, if he fails. Then, he'll go back at being our hero. But if you trade Halak, you better wish Price is on it right from the first PRESEASON game.....

That was my favourite ******** anyone has ever told
I agree with you, I just can't believe some people are basically vomiting on a 22 year old goalie, who hasn't shown signs of totally sucking, IMO.

SonOfGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Jean Ralphio

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but Louis Jean of Sportsnet was on a radio station in Edmonton, and said that he thinks Halak wants to leave Montreal. Don't know how accurate it is, and if it's just speculation on Louis' part, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

http://twitter.com/dantencer/status/14736015953

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
Don't know if it's been posted yet, but Louis Jean of Sportsnet was on a radio station in Edmonton, and said that he thinks Halak wants to leave Montreal. Don't know how accurate it is, and if it's just speculation on Louis' part, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

http://twitter.com/dantencer/status/14736015953
WHO THE **** IS LOUIS JEAN?

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

great post but I think the organization can't do that to Halak. Halak have prove that he is a number 1 goalie

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Hugo Sham

Stevenson thinks halak will be dealt

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists.../14087211.html

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:53 PM
number 11

"i'll talk to my super-agent and let him juice some team for all they're worth to get me the biggest contract possible"

at least his value has sky rocketed and we can get something decent in return

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Hugo Sham

listening to game points on the team 990 -- detailed interviews with halak and price, it really sounds like price wants to stay and loves the team / guys. i know he's more demonstrative than halak, whose first language isn't English - but i get the sense the bridge might be burned between walsh and management. i don't know. just a sense halak will be dealt. also heard that the only players NOT there today were the kostitsyns. what up with that?

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:02 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Maybe halak was really telling his agent that stuff? I don't know, he seems quiet but maybe he never felt he got a real chance. I don't know. I think he doesn't want to stay if carey stays. If carey leaves, he's willing to stay.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Agreed.
Keep both.
In the last 20 years, how many goalies won the cup and played 60+ games in regular season?
09 - Fleury: 62 Games
08 - Osgood: 43 Games
07 - Giguere: 56 Games
06 - Ward: 28 Games
05 - N/A
04 - Khabibulin: 44 Games
03 - Brodeur: 73 Games
02 - Hasek: 65 Games
01 - Roy: 62 Games
00 - Brodeur: 71 Games
99 - Belfour: 61 Games
98 - Osgood: 64 Games
97 - Vernon: 33 Games
96 - Roy: 61 Games
95 - Brodeur: 40 Games
94 - Richter: 68 Games
93 - Roy: 62 Games
92 - Barasso: 57 Games
91 - Barasso: 48 Games
90 - Ranford: 56 Games
89 - Vernon: 52 Games

That's an average of 56.6 games played per season.

However, if you remove Vernon in 97 and Ward in 06 who both were clear backups who took over in the early rounds and led their teams to victory: The average is 59.7, which rounds up to 60.

So... in effect... the average number of games played by a Cup winner over the last 20 years? 60.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:07 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
09 - Fleury: 62 Games
08 - Osgood: 43 Games
07 - Giguere: 56 Games
06 - Ward: 28 Games
05 - N/A
04 - Khabibulin: 44 Games
03 - Brodeur: 73 Games
02 - Hasek: 65 Games
01 - Roy: 62 Games
00 - Brodeur: 71 Games
99 - Belfour: 61 Games
98 - Osgood: 64 Games
97 - Vernon: 33 Games
96 - Roy: 61 Games
95 - Brodeur: 40 Games
94 - Richter: 68 Games
93 - Roy: 62 Games
92 - Barasso: 57 Games
91 - Barasso: 48 Games
90 - Ranford: 56 Games
89 - Vernon: 52 Games

That's an average of 56.6 games played per season.

However, if you remove Vernon in 97 and Ward in 06 who both were clear backups who took over in the early rounds and led their teams to victory: The average is 59.7, which rounds up to 60.

So... in effect... the average number of games played by a Cup winner over the last 20 years? 60.
k but the correct answer is 9. Averaging it out, is like saying Wayne and Brent Gretzky are the best brotherly duo if you average out the points. Besides, you removed the lower end to increase the #, that's flawed big time.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Montreal love Halak but it seems Halak doesn't love Montreal

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:47 AM
GoHomez

Read the article and all I could see was a guy who has seen a lot of rubber in the last couple of months and probably doenst want to be anywhere near a puck, stick or skate for some time before start thinking about the upcoming season.

I think the same could be said for roughly 99,9% of all players when their season ends.

Personally I think the playoff run made him want to stay in Montreal even more. Based on how we, the fans, felt about the run, we can only imagine how the players felt eliminating Washington and Pittsburgh! He must feel that this team has the tools to continue being succesful.

With all the teams tossed around as trading partners, why would he want to go to a team weaker than the Habs? Oilers, Panthers...

It may seem like I believe we are SC finals bound for years to come, I know thats not the case of course. But the players must feel that if they work hard and does everything rigth, well...

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:55 AM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
k but the correct answer is 9. Averaging it out, is like saying Wayne and Brent Gretzky are the best brotherly duo if you average out the points. Besides, you removed the lower end to increase the #, that's flawed big time.
Your argument loses just for the fact that you can't count properly. There are 10 goalies at 60+ not 9. Besides an average of 56.6 games isn't that far off from 60.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:06 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
Montreal love Halak but it seems Halak doesn't love Montreal
I think the agent is more involved than most realize...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:24 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

sign and trade please!

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:55 AM
BoNeS42

I have a strong feeling Halak will be the starter next season. For the San Jose Sharks.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
9 is just below half of 19 (lockout year), so it's still roughly half of them, which is the same as the average I gave you.

And averaging it out is nothing at all like averaging Wayne and Brent. This is a list of goalies who won the Cup, and the average is 60 among starting goalies.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:33 AM
couris

Backes Perron for Halaks AK Pacioretty

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
I have a strong feeling Halak will be the starter next season. For the San Jose Sharks.
They have some very interesting young players and prospects

I hope both are back but I also doubt it someone will go and Halak's play might fetch us a little more

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote