HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

American vs Canadian Style of Hockey

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Plante

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocashstyle View Post
There always has to be one of these in each thread. Really necessary!

They post stuff like that to get a reaction from people like you, it is silly, and you should therefore ignore it.

Old
05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Ilyeu

The old way of the Americans was physical and defensives hockey if I remember right. Now the Americans try to play offensively with speed and turnover speed bursts to create odd man rushes. They use their speed and grit in the fore check in the neutral and end zone. On defence they create a triangle around the goalie and block shots.

Canada's game is more hybrid Canadian hockey, with Russian skill. They play the body a lot and cycle the puck. Canada can play any type of style if it wanted to that it knows how. I remember the days Canadian players would crush the team into intimidation, but it wasn't bruiser type of crushing, it was strategic. Now it's like we enjoy using our puck handling and skating abilities to force the game into the oppositions zone, using the wings, killer passes or break out type plays. We play downlow a lot and cycle the puck looking for the advantage.

Old
05-18-2010, 06:52 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Some players turn to fighting as a way to make the NHL if their hockey skills themselves may leave them short of that goal.
Yeah but you don't really see Europeans do that. There's plenty of Europeans who are big and tall and whose hockey skills might leave them short of the NHL. You don't see them go "I'm gonna try being an enforcer" really and it's obviously because there's really no fighting in the European game and it's very harshly treated if it occurs, the same seems to be the case in NCAA but still plenty of American enforcers throughout NHL history.

Old
05-18-2010, 07:15 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
Canada's game is more hybrid Canadian hockey, with Russian skill. They play the body a lot and cycle the puck. Canada can play any type of style if it wanted to that it knows how. I remember the days Canadian players would crush the team into intimidation, but it wasn't bruiser type of crushing, it was strategic. Now it's like we enjoy using our puck handling and skating abilities to force the game into the oppositions zone, using the wings, killer passes or break out type plays. We play downlow a lot and cycle the puck looking for the advantage.
This sums up Canadian hockey IMO. It's a product of the the old Canadian hockey style adopting elements of the old Soviet style.

Old
05-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Canadian vs. US "hockey"

This question is difficult to answer in 2010 since so much of hockey is hybrid and influences have affected not only each country's hockey but in fact there are different styles within various regions (I'd almost compare to some of the racial or ethnic stereotypes in the US - with so much sharing and intermingling ethnically the lines tend to be blurred).

For instance in Canada there were traditionally big differences in the style of play between the three respective junior leagues - with the Quebec league thought to be more free wheeling, Western Canada more physical and faster, and Ontario more tactical and strategy-based. Similarly, if you look at US college hockey in the states the game in the West was more predicated on size, speed and skating while the game in the East was based more on strategy and techniques or positional play (again, these are generalizations).

I think one thing you've seen through the years is that due to the success of Canadian hockey, they have been more resistant to the influences of Europe while Americans have tended to be more receptive to the strategies and skills-based game from areas like Russia, Sweden or other areas. With the longer winters in Canada, it seems that Canadian players in the past benefitted from more ice time and thus developed more by playing hockey. While American coaches and players were more receptive to dryland training, conditioning, and other non-hockey training that wasn't as necessary or pushed in Canada.

As most of the posters on here have said though, much of those lines have been blurred. And with the availability of more rinks in the US, year-round hockey is becoming the norm - both for better and worse.

In the earlier days of hockey, when the game was one primarily in the private schools and/or among the more affluent Americans, hockey players usually played multiple sports and thus developed skill sets in a variety of ways. The specialization of hockey players in the 90's and earlier this decade was not necessarily a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
This sums up Canadian hockey IMO. It's a product of the the old Canadian hockey style adopting elements of the old Soviet style.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:27 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

everyone is answering this question like there is a true answer....

both counties have soft players, gritty players, skilled players, power forwards, snipers...you name it

are we looking for the style in which hockey canada/brian burke put forth in the last olympics? any of the top 6 hockey countries could put together a skilled or gritty team if they want

for the most part they play a similar brand of puck control/forecheck hockey (which IMO is the way the game should be played)

Old
05-21-2010, 03:59 AM
onetimer

You do realize that Hockey is at the bottom of the big four sports (Football, Baseball Basketball, Hockey) in terms of popularity in the US. Its not even close. The overwhelming majority of elite US athletes play the other three sports. Any kid in the US can find a basketball court, baseball diamond or field to play football within a few mile of their home. Not so with hockey. Where I live, we have a WHL team and 5 others within a 250 mile radius. Heck, Vancouver isnt too much further away. That being said, in the Portland, OR metro area (about 1.5 million people) there are 3 places to play ice hockey with one more rink about 150 miles to the South. We dont have park/rec programs that build rinks. They build parks to basketball/baseball/football and god forbid, soccer. Now as far as style of play, I think its the same.

Old
05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 1562
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I like the topic, much better than the ever boring "NA vs Europe, what is there a European, etc, etc" debates.

Yes I guess it is decent enough ton just talk about a NA hockey style, but there might be some subtle differences nevertheless. I mean even different organisations got certain styles (results from individuals in the organisation of course).

Old
05-22-2010, 12:09 AM
i CHUCK SAUCE

I played Juniors in both the U.S. (USHL) and Canada (WHL), and i will say that Canadian style of hockey is generally more physical. More scraps too haha.

Old
05-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Klaus
Teemu!

Basically, USA hockey is like Canadian Hockey Lite.

Old
05-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

From what I've seen in international play american hockey is all out attack. It's all about speed and forecheck and creating turnovers at the defensive blueline and neutral zone. It's really great system and great to watch.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:59 AM
DowJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURedHawk View Post
I wish every day that Canada bordered Mexico in order to help you get closer to that 300,000,000
lmao

Old
05-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
They post stuff like that to get a reaction from people like you, it is silly, and you should therefore ignore it.
Then again, if somebody asks the question "What's the difference between Canadian Hockey and American Hockey?," and you answered "The Gold Medals," a few factual points are indeed made. No?

Old
05-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Violent By Design

The game style is a carbon copy, however; one thing that the Americans cannot copy is our heart.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
avalanche45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefan14 View Post
Keep dreaming kid
Well he is half right, if all of our best athletes played hockey instead of football/basketball/baseball, the Americans would easily be the best team in the world.

Old
05-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche45 View Post
Well he is half right, if all of our best athletes played hockey instead of football/basketball/baseball, the Americans would easily be the best team in the world.
Keep dreaming kid

Old
05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
William H Bonney

ok, that's enough.