HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Incredible Season Habs, Looking Forward To Next Year!!

Old
05-25-2010, 06:55 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
It's really hilarious that plenty of other team's fans congratulate us for our playoff run, but we also have plenty of Habs fans being all ''we suck I'm disgusted boo hoo.''
There's the people who've watched the team play, and those that have mostly seen the playoff bracket.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:30 AM
SherbrookeW

Once again about "size". The Habs problem was not getting men in front of the net; their problem was gaining the offensive zone in the first place. That's solved by skill -- and coaching -- not by being bigger. The other problem was lack of production on the pp -- the first short hand goal was the killer -- and that's solved by...a healthy Markov and a more finished PK.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
MK6GTI

so as embarrassed as i am to admit this, i only started watching hockey religiously this season. in the past, i would follow but with a lot less passion and emotion...what I'm wondering is...what the hell do i do now? what am i going to watch? after the SCF what is there? i can't wait for the regular season to start again...

MK6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:17 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK6GTI View Post
so as embarrassed as i am to admit this, i only started watching hockey religiously this season. in the past, i would follow but with a lot less passion and emotion...what I'm wondering is...what the hell do i do now? what am i going to watch? after the SCF what is there? i can't wait for the regular season to start again...
I know the feeling, but it is summer and you will find things to do. Think about hockey a little less and let it go for a while, then you will find other stuff.

Make sure to be around the board at free agent frenzy time and the draft. After that blows over let hockey take the backseat.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:37 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
If you stay on the boards, you will find we stay very active with the draft, free agency, prospect camp, etc..

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:00 AM
la25ecoupe

What if Halak didn't come out that far of his net to block Richards.. the game would've still be 1-0 at that point

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Capitano

Good discussions in here. For me, the 'blame' lies on JM for the series against the Flyers simply because we didn't come up with a counter for the Flyers strategy. When you get shutout 3 times in 5 games, something is wrong with what you're trying to do imo.

And all this talk about Richards' goal being a killer makes me wince. It's the fricken first period ffs. That's just an excuse imo. If that happened with 5 mins left, then maybe I could agree with you. We put so much bloody emphasis on scoring first or playing with a lead. Bah.

For me, I wasn't happy with the gameplan against the Flyers...shame really because I thought we played Washington and Pittsburgh (especially) very well.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
What if Halak didn't come out that far of his net to block Richards.. the game would've still be 1-0 at that point
Of course, Halak succeeded in shutting down a probable break for Richards (couldn't believe how much he was asked to shutdown while the Habs were on the "powerplay" last night). It was a sliding Hammer desperately trying to recover that knocked the puck loose/back to Richards, and MAB gliding from the blueline in instead of skating hard to the net to cover for two committed teammates (finally took two strides at the end, and was almost able to make a play on Richards), who failed to clean it up from there.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Perrah

Hamrlik had the play, richards had to dive to hit the puck first. If richard's tried to bring it in on a breakaway I had all the faith in the world that hamrlik could have tied him up or atleast knock the puck away by diving. It was a sapping goal regardless.

Oh well, meh season good playoffs. Interesting off season ahead.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
World cup my friend.

At least you get this feeling now and not in 2006 or last year. Those summers were loooooooooooooooooooooooong.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:02 PM
BudForLife

Just wanted to pop in and say Props to the Habs! I know it sucks to lose when you get this close, but you really did have a great run. You should really be proud of your team because they played their hearts out and won two series being the underdogs. Halak played great but most importantly everyone played as a team. Way to go Habs.

BudForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudForLife View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say Props to the Habs! I know it sucks to lose when you get this close, but you really did have a great run. You should really be proud of your team because they played their hearts out and won two series being the underdogs. Halak played great but most importantly everyone played as a team. Way to go Habs.
Thanks. Interestingly enough I had a few of your fellow Leaf fans at work say things much along the same lines. One guy in particular always graces my door with some kind of habs/Golf reference or cartoon on elimination day, but said he didn't have the heart to do it this time around because they played well enough to get as far as they did

I'm actually pulling for the Hawks now. I like to see the former London Knights do well and Kane and Bolland are two of the good ones

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:26 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Good discussions in here. For me, the 'blame' lies on JM for the series against the Flyers simply because we didn't come up with a counter for the Flyers strategy. When you get shutout 3 times in 5 games, something is wrong with what you're trying to do imo.

And all this talk about Richards' goal being a killer makes me wince. It's the fricken first period ffs. That's just an excuse imo. If that happened with 5 mins left, then maybe I could agree with you. We put so much bloody emphasis on scoring first or playing with a lead. Bah.

For me, I wasn't happy with the gameplan against the Flyers...shame really because I thought we played Washington and Pittsburgh (especially) very well.
Simply put our achilles heel has always been even strength scoring. We depend heavily on PP success. When Philly shut that down, we were sunk. markov might have made a difference but we will never know

As i mentioned before I won't bash any of the guys in the PGT. I really don't think anybody deserves that at the moment. Once the summer days hit I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to pick some players apart. until then, a salute to the guys for what they accomplished

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
I stayed away from the boards since the elimination, didnt wanna read all the negative stuff.

Didnt read anything actually,

Just wanna say, if back in September, someone would have told me, Will you accept your team losing in the ECF being just 3 wins away from the Finals?
i would have said yes without hesitation

Very proud of this team!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
There's the people who've watched the team play, and those that have mostly seen the playoff bracket.
Winning games is reason enough to not be disgusted, isn't it?

I wish more of our fans were like the fans of other teams, and weren't always negative and impossible to please.

With most team's fans, they're just happy to win. With Habs fans, we not only have to win, we have to win with beauty...

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

we should have tank the season

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:20 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
how do you make that connection given that those were two very different teams??

this isn't like the blackhawks, who had a young burgeoning all-star cast that took it's lumps on the way to building the cup finals team they have now.

the 07-08 habs were blown up, and replaced with this group... which squeezed into the playoffs and rode a super hot goalie far deeper into the playoffs than they otherwise would have reached.

Next year?

optimism is great, but unless we find ways to fix the holes that plagues us in season and in the playoffs (including the first two round wins), we'll be right back in the borderline playoff group this time next year...

and that's ignoring what will happen should we lose Plekanec and/or Halak this summer.
Good points, a more realistic breakdown. But I think there is reason for optimism....
Subban is going to be back and obviously crack the line up, Halak another year older and experienced (need to be signed) Markov will hopefully play 82 games (hit the gym) This team going far in the playoffs is key as they were a cut and paste sort of group who never played together, this allowed them to gel and hopefully next season they will show some chemistry from the get go. Need to trade the Kostitsyns, need a top 6 power forward, give Pouliot some more time.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote