HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

our first line?

Old
05-25-2010, 02:01 PM
BluesBrother

vCash: 500
our first line?

I think Backes is there... maybe Boyes ( waste of skill in third line )... but as much as I like our other forwards, none of them should play in first line... McD is good, but never a 1st line player. Same goes with Oshie. Perron hopefully will be there, but not yet I think. Berglund is not ready, McC was born to play in third... Steen was unbelievable, but full season in first line, don't think so. We need a big gun. Don't see Ilya coming here, but I would definitely try him even for 9 mil cap. ( yep, we don't have the money ) Who should be our first line guy?????

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I'd like to see McDonald at LW, Backes at C and Oshie at RW...though any of the 3 can play center.

That would leave: Perron-Berglund-Boyes
Steen-Eller-D'Agostini/Skachkov
King-McClemment-Crombeen

I don't know if the plan is to play Eller at C if he does indeed make the team. If he doesn't then I imagine you'd need to change up the first line and move a center down to the 3rd line. Perhaps something like Steen-Backes-Oshie so McDonald can center Eller, D'Agostini or whoever makes the place in Eller's spot (Skachkov?).

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

I really thought Oshie worked best at Center - whether it's first line or not
, who knows.

While we're at it, does anyone else thing Berglund would work well at LW? It'd take some defensive responsibility off of him and the Left Side is where he got all his Power Play goals his rookie season...

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:38 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBrother View Post
McD is good, but never a 1st line player.
How many "first line players" are there in the league? 90, give or take? That makes sense, considering there are, theoretically, three first line players per team. Some teams have more, some teams have fewer, and some teams split their first line duty amongst borderline players - so I understand it's not clear-cut. Still I think it's fair to say there are around 90 first line players. Or is this some vague thing that nobody agrees on, like "franchise" or "elite?"

Andy McDonald was tied for 59th in forward scoring this past season. And he scored 44 in 46 games the previous year. Over the past two seasons, he has had about .8 points per game, which puts him in the 50's/60's range amongst forwards over the past two years.

In 09-10, McDonald would be the top scoring forward on 6 teams, and second or third amongst forwards on 14 other teams. As far as productivity goes, Andy McDonald is a first liner on most teams in the league.

I don't disagree that the Blues need more scoring. I think a lot of it will and has to come from within, with players and the system improving and stepping up. And I also understand the desire for a "big gun" who can be a gamebreaker. However, McDonald is a first-liner, even on a slump year.

The Blues, like most teams in the league, just don't have a clear first line. They'll roll 1a and 1b most of the year. If things go well, they could even have three basically equal scoring lines.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:41 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
I really thought Oshie worked best at Center - whether it's first line or not
, who knows.

While we're at it, does anyone else thing Berglund would work well at LW? It'd take some defensive responsibility off of him and the Left Side is where he got all his Power Play goals his rookie season...
That's incorrect. He shoots left, so he was taking those shots from the right side.

Plus, I think Berglund is developing very well at center. I don't really want him to need less defensive responsibility because he's good at coming deep into the defensive zone, shoving an opponent off the puck, and skating away with it. It's going to take time for it all to come together, but Berglund should stay at center.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:57 PM
oPlaiD

Unless we sign someone like Kovalchuk I doubt we'll have a real first line. The top two or three lines will probably get roughly equivalent minutes on even strength.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
underslept
"well-informed"

Backes needs to be on the top line.

We can't consistently have smaller sized forwards playing from the perimeter we need someone who can do the dirty work in front of the net or at bare minimum screen the goaltender.

There are guys like Tanguay, Prospal, or Afinogenov that could bolster the line up, but without someone like Backes on the top line, we're playing a perimeter game most of the time.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:46 PM
STL fan in IA

The way I see it, the Blues will likely have 2-3 "2nd lines" in terms of caliber. Which line gets more minutes in a particular game will depend on while line is the most effective that night.

IMO, the Blues don't have any elite forwards but they have quite a bit of depth. No guy that you can count on to carry the team on his back offensively, but lots of guys that can contribute on any given night. They don't have any forwards that scream "1st liner" at you but they have quite a few that would fit on a 1st line as long as they weren't expected to carry that top line. IMO, a 1st liner is the top 90 forwards in the league. McDonald finished top 90 in pts but pts aren't everything. Adding in an all-around game, Oshie and Backes could be considered borderline 1st liners. Perron has the potential to be a 1st liner but isn't there yet. Same with Bergy. The Blues have a lot of potential and borderline 1st liners...which is why I say they more or less will end up with 2 or 3 "2nd lines".

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:39 AM
blue bleeder 24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
That's incorrect. He shoots left, so he was taking those shots from the right side.

Plus, I think Berglund is developing very well at center. I don't really want him to need less defensive responsibility because he's good at coming deep into the defensive zone, shoving an opponent off the puck, and skating away with it. It's going to take time for it all to come together, but Berglund should stay at center.
Good call... Dunno why I was thinking LW, RW was where he was...

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote