HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign D Yann Sauve

Old
05-26-2010, 10:06 AM
windflare

vCash: 500
Canucks sign D Yann Sauve

CapGeek has rarely been off for me.

Quote:
capgeek

#nhl #canucks to sign D Yann Sauve (performance bonuses TBA) http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1756
Standard 3 year entry level, $670,833 annual cap hit - not yet counting performance bonuses yet, of course.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:14 AM
CM-

whew now all we got left is Morgan "Luongo wishes he was this good" Clark left to sign from the 08 Draft.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Dado

vCash:
Woohoo!

May he be big, fast and mean, and come in above expectations!

You just never know where the stud D is going to come from, sign 'em all, let luck work in your favor.

Old
05-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM- View Post
whew now all we got left is Morgan "Luongo wishes he was this good" Clark left to sign from the 08 Draft.
And Froshaug. Methinks those two will be allowed to walk.

Good news on Sauve's signing. Be interesting to see how Manitoba's defense shapes up next year...as far as I know we have Baumgartner, Connauton, Sauve and Oberg signed for next year now.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
great news

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:44 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
And Froshaug. Methinks those two will be allowed to walk.

Good news on Sauve's signing. Be interesting to see how Manitoba's defense shapes up next year...as far as I know we have Baumgartner, Connauton, Sauve and Oberg signed for next year now.
Ellington, as well.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Woohoo!

May he be big, fast and mean, and come in above expectations!

You just never know where the stud D is going to come from, sign 'em all, let luck work in your favor.
Every assessment of Sauve that I have read contains the terms "project" or "long term project" and that seems to be correct.

He never progressed as he was forecast when ranked the #29 NA skater by CSB.

A couple of seasons in the AHL will determine if he is a capable NHL'er but I would not be looking for him to step up anytime soon.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:57 AM
jimmythescot

I was getting a bit worried about him not being signed yet, so I'm happy.

I don't think he'll step up soon, but I'm hoping that the AHL will be a better training school for him. In the Q he wasn't allowed to play his natural game without incurring penalties. Now that the leash is going to be let off I expect a bit more excitement about him.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Ellington, as well.
Hopefully Alberts as well.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Ellington, as well.
Grr that pick still angers me. I think he's Salmon King bound again. That looks like a very young blueline corps for Manitoba...wouldn't surprise me to see some AHL depth added(Nycholat?) in the form of some veteran defenders.

Old
05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

This guy had a great camp last year, but so did Oberg so I dunno how much that actually means.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Every assessment of Sauve that I have read contains the terms "project" or "long term project" and that seems to be correct.

A couple of seasons in the AHL will determine if he is a capable NHL'er but I would not be looking for him to step up anytime soon.
I`ve read more or less the same thing. From my perspective I just want the `project`to start sooner rather than later. So it`s good news from my perspective.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I`ve read more or less the same thing. From my perspective I just want the `project`to start sooner rather than later. So it`s good news from my perspective.
Here is his pre-draft profile - it seems he did not develop as was forecast:

I do not see much use in returning to junior - if he is to progress he needs to learn how to play the pro game starting in the AHL. I am not a big fan of drafting Dmen (particularly defensive Dmen) out of the Q - it seldom works.

Old
05-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

He was the Q's first overall pick in 2006 or so, wasn't he? They really thought he'd be a stud, but just didn't pan out that fast.

I think he's got a great toolset and seems to have rounded his game out the last two seasons in the Q, but definitely seeing him get some seasoning on Manitoba is the way to go, methinks.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Here is his pre-draft profile - it seems he did not develop as was forecast:

I do not see much use in returning to junior - if he is to progress he needs to learn how to play the pro game starting in the AHL. I am not a big fan of drafting Dmen (particularly defensive Dmen) out of the Q - it seldom works.
Dmen should be drafted out of our own backyard in "The Dub"

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

After seeing Sauve play in his first camp I really didn't like the pick at all. Not a big fan of drafting players for their size and strength in the hopes they can improve their decision making down the road. That said, he did look much better the 2nd time around at training camp.

I really don't think there's much to be excited about here with Sauve. IMO he projects into a Shane O'Brien type - something you can usually acquire pretty easily through free agency.

It'll be interesting to see how Sauve fares next year when the noticeable size and strength advantage he held over kids in Junior will be no more. Wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle on the Moose and be way down the list in terms of call-up options.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:18 PM
lush
@jasonlush

An old story on him from the later part of training camp / pre-season last fall.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...570/story.html

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:

What in the world gives you this impression? You're not a half lawyer/half scout are you? Just because the kid didn't make the jump straight to pro does not mean he's a project. He was widely considered to be one of the best D-men in the Q. That's a good start. Let's see how he does in Manitoba before we start labelling him as a 'project'.

Remember, he made it pretty far in camp too. That's saying something considering this team doesn't have many strong defensive prospects to speak of.

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
What in the world gives you this impression? You're not a half lawyer/half scout are you? Just because the kid didn't make the jump straight to pro does not mean he's a project. He was widely considered to be one of the best D-men in the Q. That's a good start. Let's see how he does in Manitoba before we start labelling him as a 'project'.

Remember, he made it pretty far in camp too. That's saying something considering this team doesn't have many strong defensive prospects to speak of.
Q --> AHL --> NHL callup lets see what happens

that sounds like a project. 'not a project' would be Q --> NHL regular season or two after being drafted.

A 'project' is not a bad thing.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
After seeing Sauve play in his first camp I really didn't like the pick at all. Not a big fan of drafting players for their size and strength in the hopes they can improve their decision making down the road. That said, he did look much better the 2nd time around at training camp.

I really don't think there's much to be excited about here with Sauve. IMO he projects into a Shane O'Brien type - something you can usually acquire pretty easily through free agency.

It'll be interesting to see how Sauve fares next year when the noticeable size and strength advantage he held over kids in Junior will be no more. Wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle on the Moose and be way down the list in terms of call-up options.
You think he projects to be a SOB? I think he has a bit higher of a ceiling. Solid 2-pairing dman imo. If he reaches his potential, I think he is more of a Brad Stuart

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:28 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Q --> AHL --> NHL callup lets see what happens

that sounds like a project. 'not a project' would be Q --> NHL regular season or two after being drafted.

A 'project' is not a bad thing.
Wrong. That is a normal path of a prospect. I think the fans' expectations of young players have just been raised considerably with all the young players that have made the jump right away in the post-lockout era.

Bobby Ryan paid his dues in junior, then the minors, then finally the NHL. Was he a "project"? What about the Caps' two young defencemen: Karl Alzner and John Carlson? They spent time in the AHL but were NEVER classified as projects.

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post

Perhaps the reason he was noticed was because "this team doesn't have many strong defensive prospects to speak of"?

French coach was not exactly falling all over himself last training camp when commenting upon Sauve's progress:
Quote:
"We feel there is a lot of potential there with Yann," Canuck head coach Alain Vigneault said Tuesday. "We see a big body that is real smooth on his skates and is good with the puck. For whatever reason, as a junior he hasn't put up the stats offensively that maybe people think he should so I'm not sure if he's going to become an offensive player, or more of a solid two-way defenceman.

"He's a great kid with a great work ethic," added the coach. "We feel we should have a good player down the road."

Selected 41st overall in 2008, Sauve is one of the biggest defencemen in the Canucks' camp at a listed 6-3 and 220 pounds. But he's been an enigma since being taken first overall in the Q-League's bantam draft. Rather than dominate with his size and skating, he's flat-lined.

Vigneault agrees that Sauve is an improved player but he wasn't willing to rush headlong into the superlatives.

"I notice a difference," said Vigneault, "but big difference would be too big of a word."
Also Sauve went from a WJC summer camp invite in 2008 (he failed to make the cut for the December camp) to no invite in 2009.

Hockey's Future said this of him in April 2010:
Quote:
The Canucks will probably determine that next year he would be better served by beginning his professional career; however, with other defensemen ahead of him on the Canucks depth charts, this will most likely be with the ECHL Victoria Salmon Kings. Obviously, this transition will be contingent on how well he performs at training camp. But that aside, playing against bigger, faster players will help Sauvé to continue developing his decision-making skills with the puck.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...200910_review/

HF grades his top end out at a No. 3-4 defenseman but he could fall to a No. 7 defenseman.

Sounds like a project to me. YMMV.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 05-26-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old
05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
black ace

It looks more and more like you draft goalies from Europe, forwards from the OHL and D-men from the WHL.

Probably too simplistic but more and more it looks like its the way it is.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:16 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by black ace View Post
It looks more and more like you draft goalies from Europe, forwards from the OHL and D-men from the WHL.

Probably too simplistic but more and more it looks like its the way it is.
Sucks to play in the Q! Seriously though, I would love some WHL D-men on this team. Or for Edler to start playing like the former Kelowna Rocket that he is.

What's all this "Sauve is a project" business? He's a developing prospect, not every player steps right onto the club's active roster. Especially with AV "coaching". If they found him on a basketball court and were trying to convert him to a hockey player, then we can talk project.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:38 PM
eklunds source

This thread needs reading. Granted they were 16 at the time, but it kind of gives you an idea what Sauve was initially thought to be. Even if he hasn't progressed as much as Doughty (duh), that doesn't mean he's not an NHL player. He's making a steady progression, and that's better, to me, than someone who grows in leaps and bounds and you never know what you're going to get when it's all finished.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote