HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How we got here!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2010, 07:16 AM
  #1
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
How we got here!!!

At the entry draft in 2003, the strongest draft in league history, the Flyers have the 11th and 24th overall pick. They take Jeff Carter and Mike Richards. In 2006 our first round pick is Claude Giroux. We have a strong young team, but after the lockout, we have the worst season in Flyer History finishing last in the NHL.

Holmgren was put in charge October 22nd 2006 replacing a burnt out Bobby Clarke. Hitchcock is fired the same day and replaced with John Stevens. At the trade deadline in February 2007, Holmgren trades Forsberg for Parent, Upshall and a 1st and 3rd rounder, trades Zhitnik to Atlanta for Coburn, trades Calder to Chicago for Kukkonen and a 3rd rounder, trades a 2nd to Buffalo for Martin Biron. We get the 2nd overall pick and draft James Van Riemsdyk. In the summer of 2007 we trade Nashvilles 1st rounder back to them for Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell and quickly lock them up to long term deals – this is the first time a trade is made for the “rights” to soon to be UFA’s. Daniel Briere is signed for 6.5 million per year, he is the top free agent of the year - Gomez and Drury sign in New York for 7.5 million per. This is the first deal in the NHL that is “front loaded” meaning that Briere will make the majority of his money in the first 5 years of his deal and signs for less than market value. At the draft we trade up in the 2nd round to get Kevin Marshall, trade Joni Pitkanen and Geoff Sanderson to Edmonton for Lupol and Jason Smith, trade Eager for Vandermeer and a 3rd rounder for Modry.

At the deadline in 2008, we ship Vandermeer to Calgary for their third round pick and trade Alex Picard and a 2nd round pick to Tampa for Prospal. Some say because Stevens has since been fired he was a bad choice. On the contrary, Stevens was a players coach and was given Terry Murray to help with the nuances of the job - this combination helped the Flyers go from last in the NHL to the conference finals in one year.

In the summer of 08, Prospal is traded for a couple of picks (one of whom is our future goalie in Joacim Eriksson), Umberger is traded for a 1st and 3rd rounder (Sbiza and Bourdon), we trade a 1st rounder to Washington for Steve Eminger and a 3rd, Gauthier and a 2nd rounder are traded to LA for prospects, basically we dump Gauthiers salary and lose a pick. We trade LA prospect + 4th rounder for Andrew Alberts, sign Aaron Asham. During the year we trade Eminger, Downie and a 4th to Tampa for Matt Carle and a 3rd, Randy Jones who cashed in on his playoff performance the year before to get too much money is waived and picked up by LA. Due to Daniel Briere coming back from injury at the deadline, we are forced to cut salary and trade Upshall and a 2nd rounder to Phoenix for Dan Carcillo. The result is we finish in 5th in the East tied with Pittsburgh and lose in the first round in a series many believe could have gone the other way had Philly finished off Pitt in game 6 when they were up 3-0 before the Carcillo fight – Pitt wins the cup that year.

The summer of 2009, we trade an overpaid Lupol, Sbiza, two 1st’s and a 3rd to Anaheim for Chris Pronger. The offseason we sign Blair Betts, Ian Laps, Ray Emery and Brian Boucher and let Mike Knuble, Martin Biron and Nittymaki walk (all of whom wanted too much money). In season we trade OK to Detroit for Ville Leino. The result is we are in the Stanley Cup Finals. So now you have all the facts of every deal made in the Paul Holmgren era. This is how the present day Philadelphia Flyers have been re-built.

I added recent moves below:
June 2010: Michael Leighton is signed for 2yr, $3.1M
July 2010: We trade a 2nd round pick (Lucas Lessio) for Andrej Meszaros
Signed Jody Shelley, Sean Odonnell, Nik Zherdev
Trade Simon Gagne for Matt Walker and a fourth
November 2010: Signed Claude Giroux for 3 years 11.25M
Jeff Carter signed 11 yr/$58M
Feb 2011: Trade 2011 First (Stuart Percy) and 3rd (Josh Leivo) for Kris Versteeg We lose in the SCF, trade Michael Chaput + Greg Moore for Tom Sestito
March 2011: SIgned Matt Read, Harry Zolnierczyk, Olivier Lauridson
May 2011: Niko Hovinen signed as a free agent
July 2011: Trade Matt Clackson, 2012 3rd rounder, Pittsburgh's 2011 3rd Rounder (Harrison Ruopp) for Ilya Bryzgalov and sign him for 9 years 5.7M per
Sign Jaromir Jagr, Andreas Lilja as free agents
Trade Jeff Carter Jakub Voracek, 2011 1st rounder (Sean Couturier), 2011 3rd rounder (Nick Cousins)
Trade Mike Richards for Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn and 2012 2nd rounder
Trade Darrell Powe to Minnesota for 2013 3rd rounder
Trade Kris Versteeg to Florida for 2012 or 2013 second rounder and San Jose's 2012 third rounder
Sign James Van Riemsdyk for 6 years.
Trade LA's 2012 2nd Rounder, Minnesota's 2013 3rd Rounder for Nik Grossmann
Trade Jon Kalinski, Fla's 2012 2nd Rounder, 2013 4th Rounder for Pavel Kubina


Last edited by phillyfanatic: 04-17-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Adding since I did this:
phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
  #2
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
At the entry draft in 2003, the strongest draft in league history, the Flyers have the 11th and 24th overall pick. They take Jeff Carter and Mike Richards. In 2006 our first round pick is Claude Giroux. We have a strong young team, but after the lockout, we have the worst season in Flyer History finishing last in the NHL.

Holmgren was put in charge October 22nd 2006 replacing a burnt out Bobby Clarke. Hitchcock is fired the same day and replaced with John Stevens. At the trade deadline in February 2007, Holmgren trades Forsberg for Parent, Upshall and a 1st and 3rd rounder, trades Zhitnik to Atlanta for Coburn, trades Calder to Chicago for Kukkonen and a 3rd rounder, trades a 2nd to Buffalo for Martin Biron. We get the 2nd overall pick and draft James Van Riemsdyk. In the summer of 2007 we trade Nashvilles 1st rounder back to them for Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell and quickly lock them up to long term deals – this is the first time a trade is made for the “rights” to soon to be UFA’s. Daniel Briere is signed for 6.5 million per year, he is the top free agent of the year - Gomez and Drury sign in New York for 7.5 million per. This is the first deal in the NHL that is “front loaded” meaning that Briere will make the majority of his money in the first 5 years of his deal and signs for less than market value. At the draft we trade up in the 2nd round to get Kevin Marshall, trade Joni Pitkanen and Geoff Sanderson to Edmonton for Lupol and Jason Smith, trade Eager for Vandermeer and a 3rd rounder for Modry.

At the deadline in 2008, we ship Vandermeer to Calgary for their third round pick and trade Alex Picard and a 2nd round pick to Tampa for Prospal. Some say because Stevens has since been fired he was a bad choice. On the contrary, Stevens was a players coach and was given Terry Murray to help with the nuances of the job - this combination helped the Flyers go from last in the NHL to the conference finals in one year.

In the summer of 08, Prospal is traded for a couple of picks (one of whom is our future goalie in Joacim Eriksson), Umberger is traded for a 1st and 3rd rounder (Sbiza and Bourdon), we trade a 1st rounder to Washington for Steve Eminger and a 3rd, Gauthier and a 2nd rounder are traded to LA for prospects, basically we dump Gauthiers salary and lose a pick. We trade LA prospect + 4th rounder for Andrew Alberts, sign Aaron Asham. During the year we trade Eminger, Downie and a 4th to Tampa for Matt Carle and a 3rd, Randy Jones who cashed in on his playoff performance the year before to get too much money is waived and picked up by LA. Due to Daniel Briere coming back from injury at the deadline, we are forced to cut salary and trade Upshall and a 2nd rounder to Phoenix for Dan Carcillo. The result is we finish in 5th in the East tied with Pittsburgh and lose in the first round in a series many believe could have gone the other way had Philly finished off Pitt in game 6 when they were up 3-0 before the Carcillo fight – Pitt wins the cup that year.

The summer of 2009, we trade an overpaid Lupol, Sbiza, two 1st’s and a 3rd to Anaheim for Chris Pronger. The offseason we sign Blair Betts, Ian Laps, Ray Emery and Brian Boucher and let Mike Knuble, Martin Biron and Nittymaki walk (all of whom wanted too much money). In season we trade OK to Detroit for Ville Leino. The result is we are in the Stanley Cup Finals. So now you have all the facts of every deal made in the Paul Holmgren era. This is how the present day Philadelphia Flyers have been re-built.
Despite the fact that you did a wonderful job summarizing everything, I have a hard time not discounting people that spell Lupul as Lupol. Just a huge pet peeve of mine.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:47 AM
  #3
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Lupul

Fair Enough......my bad....

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:58 AM
  #4
Morinisbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
I never even realized that Pitkanen turned into Chirs Pronger. Sanderson and Pitkanen got us Lupul (Smith), who in turn went for Prongs. I'm not sure why I never put that together. I think it was just the confusion of Lupul ending up back in Anaheim.....

Anyway, good stuff. I know there were some minor deals in there like that scrappy guy from Phoenix who came back a second time, and other pieces of deals but you covered pretty much everything. Oh, and maybe add the Powe story in there...and of course, the long overdue firing of Stevens (which I think was the biggest and most important move of all) and picking up Leights/Krajicek.

I dont like Lupul mis spelled either. Same for Sbisa.

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
  #5
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,687
vCash: 500
Nice work.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:23 AM
  #6
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Does anyone else feel 100% better that we made it this far, knowing now that one of those Pronger 1st rounders we gave up is now a 29th or 30th overall pick instead of a 13-14th if we lost that shootout?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
  #7
Morinisbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Does anyone else feel 100% better that we made it this far, knowing now that one of those Pronger 1st rounders we gave up is now a 29th or 30th overall pick instead of a 13-14th if we lost that shootout?

Damn right! Great point.

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:31 AM
  #8
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
What did we trade for the Coyotes' first rounder in 2003 that turned into Carter?

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:33 AM
  #9
CharlieGirl
Summer
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Does anyone else feel 100% better that we made it this far, knowing now that one of those Pronger 1st rounders we gave up is now a 29th or 30th overall pick instead of a 13-14th if we lost that shootout?
Yep. The price for Pronger has dropped like a rock these last few weeks. I think I'm okay with that!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:34 AM
  #10
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
In the summer of 08...During the year we trade Eminger, Downie and a 4th to Tampa for Matt Carle and a 3rd, Randy Jones who cashed in on his playoff performance the year before to get too much money is waived and picked up by LA...
The summer of 2009, we trade an overpaid Lupol, Sbiza, two 1st’s and a 3rd to Anaheim for Chris Pronger. The offseason we sign Blair Betts, Ian Laps, Ray Emery and Brian Boucher and let Mike Knuble, Martin Biron and Nittymaki walk (all of whom wanted too much money). In season we trade OK to Detroit for Ville Leino. The result is we are in the Stanley Cup Finals. So now you have all the facts of every deal made in the Paul Holmgren era. This is how the present day Philadelphia Flyers have been re-built.
Pretty good summary, one correction I have is the placement of the Randy Jones waive, that happened this year.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:39 AM
  #11
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Interesting read

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:45 AM
  #12
rayearth
Registered User
 
rayearth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 500
I think you missed a small bit about the coaching change.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:31 AM
  #13
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,381
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
What did we trade for the Coyotes' first rounder in 2003 that turned into Carter?
We traded Daymond Langkow for 1st and 2nd round picks. The Flyers had the option of it being a 2003 1st and 2002 2nd or 2002 1st and 2003 2nd. In 2002 we took the 2nd and used it in a trade to move up to the 4th pick in the draft to take Joni Pitkanen.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:42 AM
  #14
tytech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
You missed Metropolit.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:44 AM
  #15
Morinisbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Dowd! haha

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:09 AM
  #16
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Shouldn't it have started when we drafted Gagné?

Or Boucher, even?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:11 AM
  #17
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
we got JVR instead of kane...dont forget that

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
  #18
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Lol

Great points by everyone. I included most of the main points, but in order to be thorough, we should include:

- Darrell Powe was signed as a free agent on April 17th, 2008. Great signing
- Simon Gagne was drafted in 1998 at number 22 in the first round. It is important to note that Philly constantly trades their first rounders - but have a stellar record with first rounders:
2007 - JVR
2006 - Claude Giroux
2005 - Steve Downie (traded)
2003 - Jeff Carter and Mike Richards
2002 - Joni Pitkanen
2001 - Jeff Woywitka
2000 - Justin Williams
1999 - Maxime Ouellet
1998 - Simon Gagne
1996 - Danius Zubrus
1995 - Brian Boucher
1992 - Ryan Sittler
1991 - Peter Forsberg
1990 - Mike Ricci

- October 29th, 2009 Randy Jones is recalled and claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Kings. Most Flyer fans demand Paul Holmgren be dismissed immediately for this colossal blunder.
- Nov 12th, 2009 Oskars Bartulis is recalled from Philadelphia and plays well enough to earn a 3 year contact on Dec 2nd, 2009 for 600,000 per year
- December 4th, 2009 Peter Laviolette replaces John Stevens as head coach. He implements a forechecking system and it takes the Flyers about 10 games before they really "get it"
- Jan 31, 2010 Lucas Krajicek is signed after Tampa Bay gave him an outright release - he walked away from his contract

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:04 AM
  #19
Morinisbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Much better! jk. Like I said before....great read, touched most of the topics that should have been.

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:47 AM
  #20
FilthyPhlyer
Registered User
 
FilthyPhlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
we got JVR instead of kane...dont forget that
I think the blackhawks had first pick and we were second which is why we took JVR because they already picked Kane. It's not like we skipped him if my memory serves me correct.

FilthyPhlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
  #21
CharlieGirl
Summer
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyPhlyer View Post
I think the blackhawks had first pick and we were second which is why we took JVR because they already picked Kane. It's not like we skipped him if my memory serves me correct.
True, but the Flyers are the only team in the last 5 years to finish the season in last place and not get the first overall pick.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM
  #22
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,883
vCash: 50
Good summation but the addition of Jeff Reese to the coaching staff, and his work with Leighton, needs to be included.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:56 AM
  #23
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyPhlyer View Post
I think the blackhawks had first pick and we were second which is why we took JVR because they already picked Kane. It's not like we skipped him if my memory serves me correct.
Chicago won the lottery and got the obvious choice in Kane. Philly had a choice between JVR and Kyle Turris. They made the right choice!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:56 AM
  #24
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Does anyone else feel 100% better that we made it this far, knowing now that one of those Pronger 1st rounders we gave up is now a 29th or 30th overall pick instead of a 13-14th if we lost that shootout?
To think that there was an outside shot of that pick being top-10 two months ago...

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
  #25
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
To think that there was an outside shot of that pick being top-10 two months ago...
True and now it's closer to where our 2nd rounder(which we don't have) would have been than our first rounder. It's not so bad when you think about not having a #30 pick and a #60 pick instead of a #10 and #40.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.