HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire: San Jose would trade Clowe and Murray for either Montreal goalie

Old
05-26-2010, 12:38 PM
TankEller*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyhab View Post
When was the last time a trade was publically discussed and then happened? That means this trade is officially dead. May as well clsoe the thread lol.

Was anyone talking about Gomez, Gionta and Cammelleri last summer lol? The Habs pull **** form thin air.
uhm, actually, we heard of Gomez in Montreal at the draft, MacKenzie told he was an option the Habs were considering.

We heard of Gionta right from the start of UFAgency at noon.

And even Eklund gave some clues about Cammalleri heading to Montreal in May 2009.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:39 PM
RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
I think we need MORE talent offensively, not just bigger people.

Murray would be a good upgrade over Hamrlik but Clowe is just big and not really that talented. If Sharp were younger, or even Versteeg I'd prefer them.

As a fan who thinks Price can and will be better than Halak - I hope Gauthier trades Halak and calms down the fanboys by saying that Halak priced himself out of our cap space. Then we Trade Halak and Hamrlik for whatever we could get.
I think is a good point. Frankly, trading Clowe for Price or Halak would be a major upgrade for the Sharks. Clowe showed for a round and a half how important he could be to a team but then after that he showed how useless he can be. Clowe is a good player, but that's where it stops. He is not a great player. He is big, has good hands and is indeed a very tough customer. He, however, will not provide an offensive spark on his own. He can only be a complimentary player. Is this what the Habs really need? They appear to be missing a go-to offensive player, not an expensive complimentary player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtown33 View Post
As some already said, the ideal scenario would be

Clowe + Murray
vs
Halak/Price + Hamrlik

Salary would make it possible and it would match both team needs...

Clowe is a good complementary player, but I hope we get more than him in return of one of our goalies...
The Sharks don't want to take on Hamrlik and would rather sign their own FA defenseman. If forced to, they would probably consider him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Let me take a shot

Carey Price+Max Pacioretty
vs
Ryan Clowe+Harri Sateri+ 3rd round

I really Sateri..he play in the big league in Finland at 20..he put great number on a so-so team...plus we dont have in the pipeline(if we trade price) a good young goalie in the system
The Sharks take this one and run.

I think Montreal fans are more eager to make this trade than their GM just because they somehow think the size is the end-all, be-all. (As a shorter person myself, I have to disagree and root for the small guys). Trust me, Clowe is good but don't be blinded by his size. He's not awesome and he makes a fair amount of money. The Sharks would trade him for Price or Halak any day.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
m00ks

Price/Halak + Akost + Obyrne

for

Clowe + Murray

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Darth Joker

I think that McGuire might be right here, particularly if San Jose has given up on Nabokov being the guy to lead them to the Cup. And that's possible as Nabokov was outplayed by Niemi in the WCF, hasn't had a particularly good playoffs in years, and is 34, so he's not likely to get any better.

Price for Clowe and Murray wouldn't work for us capwise, but Price and Hammer for Clowe and Murray would. And with so many contracts expiring for San Jose this offseason they'll have loads of cap space to work with, and so I could see them taking Hammer for a year.

If Gauthier can do Price and Hammer for Clowe and Murray than I definitely think he should.

If Hammer is a no-go for San Jose, then maybe we can work something involving the Kost brothers.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Price/Halak + Akost + Obyrne

for

Clowe + Murray
LOL at that... Clowe is SO OVERRATED

and you want to give also AK that will score 30 goals with Thornton and O'Byrne...WOW

No thanks

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 View Post
I think is a good point. Frankly, trading Clowe for Price or Halak would be a major upgrade for the Sharks. Clowe showed for a round and a half how important he could be to a team but then after that he showed how useless he can be. Clowe is a good player, but that's where it stops. He is not a great player. He is big, has good hands and is indeed a very tough customer. He, however, will not provide an offensive spark on his own. He can only be a complimentary player. Is this what the Habs really need? They appear to be missing a go-to offensive player, not an expensive complimentary player.
I have 3 questions for you if you don't mind to answer

Does he win board battles?
Does he score most of his goals in front of the net?
Can he screen the goalie well on the PP?

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeMAD

Keep both of our goalies for another year, with Plekanec leaving, we won't even make the playoffs next year. And it's not average players like Clowe and Murray that will change anything about that. (let alone winning the cup ffs)

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 View Post

The Sharks don't want to take on Hamrlik and would rather sign their own FA defenseman. If forced to, they would probably consider him.

The Sharks take this one and run.

I think Montreal fans are more eager to make this trade than their GM just because they somehow think the size is the end-all, be-all. (As a shorter person myself, I have to disagree and root for the small guys). Trust me, Clowe is good but don't be blinded by his size. He's not awesome and he makes a fair amount of money. The Sharks would trade him for Price or Halak any day.
You have to understand our anxiousness at getting a big, tough offensive player. We hit a wall in the playoffs because we couldn't get anywhere near leighton. We have enough offensive talent, cammy was on pace for over 40 goals and gionta was on pace for about 35 IIRC. All this without a tougher guy like clowe to better insulate them.

I don't really know enough about Murray to comment on him though.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
OneSharpMarble

Personally I would go after Malone before Clowe. I would expect a damn good prospect along with Clowe if one of Price/Halak is leaving us.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

San Jose has a good goalie pipeline, though. If I was Doug Wilson I'd be pretty confident about bridging with a free agent signing and then watching for one of my kids to step up.

I don't think Clowe and Murray really represents a premium to pay, however. Good players, but role players. And pricey enough ones that they become replaceable in a free market too.

But just saying, don't discount the Sharks' goalie prospects. Stalock is good, not so sure about Lack or Greiss for the longterm, but who knows. They can probably upgrade on Nabokov and save money without going to the trouble of trading solid players to do it, IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Would love to get Pavelski; then let Plekanec go.

He's a tremendous player.

How about a deal around Pavelski and Halak. Teams can add picks/players to try to balance out the scale.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
I have 3 questions for you if you don't mind to answer

Does he win board battles?
Does he score most of his goals in front of the net?
Can he screen the goalie well on the PP?
One question: are goals scored in front of the net while screening the goalie worth more than those scored on a wrist shot from the top of the circle?

An average player is a average player.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:50 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
LOL at that... Clowe is SO OVERRATED

and you want to give also AK that will score 30 goals with Thornton and O'Byrne...WOW

No thanks
Murray replaces Obyrne. If they do Price/Halak + Obryne + pick, then I'm all for it obviously. I was just throwing it out there.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
One question: are goals scored in front of the net while screening the goalie worth more than those scored on a wrist shot from the top of the circle?

An average player is a average player.

we have already Cammalleri,Kostitsyn ,Gionta and Pouliot who can score with wrist shot. We need a big body in front of the net

tell me how many wonderful wrist shot goals we have scored agaisnt the Flyers?

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
number 11

id trade halak for either

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mooseOAK*

And people were actually talking about McGuire being a GM. San Jose can re-sign Nabakov and keep Clowe and Murray and be further ahead.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
couris

OK clowe has gone way too overrated on this board. 22 goal man for Price?

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Haberdashery

SJ getting Hamrlik defeats the whole purpose of the Sharks making the deal. They would be trading for one of the Habs goalies to free up some cap space to re-sign Marleau.

I was thinking about SJ being a possible trading partner - Murray and a couple of firsts or a first and second would pique my interest - then perhaps packaging the 2 SJ picks and our 27th overall pick to move up into the top 7 and draft Ryan Johansen. It's time for us to get that young, stud centerman...and it's not going to happen through a trade...nor will it happen drafting 27th overall.

If we can leave this draft with Murray and Johansen I'd be pretty happy - two pretty large voids filled.

Haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Not interested

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:04 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Would love to get Pavelski; then let Plekanec go.

He's a tremendous player.

How about a deal around Pavelski and Halak. Teams can add picks/players to try to balance out the scale.
Now THAT makes sense

But MTL goalie for Clowe and Murray?

Hell no

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:05 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
And people were actually talking about McGuire being a GM. San Jose can re-sign Nabakov and keep Clowe and Murray and be further ahead.
yea, good insight. hows the lafs doing? maybe you should go swing by there, instead of for no reason undervaluing our goalies, overrating clowe, and not realizing they need to free some cap.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

Not what what people expect for Halak/Price. At first i wanted a top prospect back and seems pretty clear 99% of other teams' fans pass on it.

My preferred trade is JVR for Halak/Price. It was shot down pretty quick. I think they're worth that much, but the goalie market is **** right now.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Price for Clowe and Murray?

DONE!!

That's a no brainer. Wow. That'd be all kinds of awesome.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Clowe
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Darche - Moore - Lapierre
Pyatt - White - Moen

Hamrlik - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Murray - O'Byrne

Halak
Sanford

I think I just drooled a little.

How could you not love two guys that combined for nearly 400 hits this season?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Price for Clowe and Murray?

DONE!!

That's a no brainer. Wow. That'd be all kinds of awesome.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Clowe
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Darche - Moore - Lapierre
Pyatt - White - Moen

Hamrlik - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Murray - O'Byrne

Halak
Sanford

I think I just drooled a little.
I see markov and the kostitsyns aren't playing tonight.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Pierre McGuire asked Melnick to throw names out of who he would want for either Halak or Price and Melnick mentioned Ryane Clowe while Francis mentioned Douglas Murray, McGuire said that San Jose would trade both of them for either Price or Halak!

I would think San Jose would want Price!

Discuss...

I would trade Price to San Jose IN A HEARTBEAT for Clowe and Murray!!!!!!!!

Clowe would be perfect on the wing with Gomez and Gionta, he adds size and grit and he's decent at putting the puck in the net. He's thrive with Gomez and Gionta.

Murray is a big hardnosed defencemen. He'd be excellent on our blueline...but who would we have to lose to make room for him??

Either way....I'd jump all over this deal in a second. Any chance we can get something like that in exchange for Price and see Price play outwest where he can't come back to beat us 4 or 6 times a year is a great deal to make and the Habs need to jump at it....of course, the rumor would have to be true first....but if it is.....DO IT!!!!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote