HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Implications of the Flyers winning the Stanley Cup on the Rangers Organization

Old
05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
Let's just say if Richards gets called to hoist the cup by Bettman I'm still half expecting Dubinsky to come out of no where and give him his monthly beating.

Anyways, I just hope the Hossa curse is broken this year.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:02 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Other than the last 2 Stanley Cup Champions coming from our Division which prob makes our division the hardest in the league (3 Stanley Cup final appearances in 3 years) I see nothing else.

Flyers - Possible 2010 Winners
Penguins - Participated in 2 Out of the last 3 SC finalists & winning one of them.
Devils - Very successful organization for the past 15 years.
Islanders - Extremely gifted youngsters coming into prime years soon.

Flyers have virtually no good prospects coming up. Bottom 5 in the league.

Devils dont really either, and theyre getting old.

Penguins are going to be elite for years.

Islanders are young but will be getting better as time goes on.

Only worried about the Penguins and Islanders really.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Flyers have virtually no good prospects coming up. Bottom 5 in the league.
Not sure what you're trying to say here. They do have a good young core.

05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say here. They do have a good young core.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/nhl_org...ings/?start=24

Perhaps that will help.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If you have a young core, you can afford to have prospect pool that is not all that deep.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:17 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If you have a young core, you can afford to have prospect pool that is not all that deep.

I understand that.

Im simply pointing out their prospect pool.

Also, while they may look good now, there are definitely cap issues going ahead, and they will surely have to get rid of guys like Gagne or Carter.

Old
05-26-2010, 03:11 PM
skymachine

No implication, don't think the Ranger organization showed any urgency when the Devils won their 2000 and 2003 cups. And this was the time where the Rangers always finished outside the top 8.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:28 PM
terrrrrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyisgod View Post
IF the Flyers win, there is going to be a lot of puking and maybe even pooping on other fans
I'm with this guy. Including driving to Philly and taking a huge dump on their arena.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:33 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
What effect would the Flyers winning the Stanley cup have on the Rangers and assessing what direction the franchise has been going in the last 15 or so years?

When you compare the two teams in terms of fan bases, size of market, and financial power, the Flyers are the Rangers closest rival. Both teams have had been forced to rebuild, but the scope and success has apparently been different between the Rangers and Flyers.

Do the Flyers winning a championship put pressure on the Rangers, whether it be internal or from the outside, to reevaluate their strategy? Would the media put more pressure on New York (i.e. Philadelphia is successful, why aren't you)? We all make fun that Dolan is clueless, but could a Cup in Philadelphia trigger something within Sather / the Rangers brass make changes?

As a fan, do you think a Flyers cup run kind of shines a light onto the magnitude of the Rangers failures?
I don't think it matters. Sather know what he needs to do, he needs to undo yet another Free agent mess he created. Bottom line when signing free agents is like shooting craps, it's a gamble.

I think we are stuck with this version of the team for the next few years, especially if Redden does not get demoted.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Couldnt care less if they win, I don't mind them. I'm still rooting for the Hawks, but as long as the Pens aren't in it, i am happy.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
jb**

Quote:
I understand that.

Im simply pointing out their prospect pool.

Also, while they may look good now, there are definitely cap issues going ahead, and they will surely have to get rid of guys like Gagne or Carter.
flyers have no top end talent forward wise in the prospect pool. A few question marks and suspects. It is bare. As with every team they have plenty 4th line.3rd line typesThey have 5 guys on d who are legitimate prospects. As someone said when you have most of the core of your team all 25 or under you have time to replenish the bare cubbard. Why will they have to get rid of gagne and carter? That is a flase statement.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
smoneil

1st- No way the Flyers beat Chicago.

2nd- I know it's a different sport, but this is funny all the same. The new Philadelphia expansion team in MLS was courting Robert Pires (a former superstar from the French national team who, while on the downside of his career, is still quite good and very well known). The deal was all but done. The Philadelphia coach was already talking about the value of having a guy like Pires in the lineup. Then Pires visited Philadelphia. The deal immediately died, and Pires made this statement to the press: "I do not want to be difficult, but left to take my family away, I'd rather do it in a beautiful city." He said that he will either find a beautiful city in which to play, or he will retire. The best part? He's now considering the NY MLS team, saying "That [NY] is a beautiful city."

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Quoting: Weaknesses: Three of the Flyers former top five prospects have graduated in the last few months.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:36 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Perhaps it's better to look at the first round pics playing.

2003Jeff Carter, 2003Mike Richards,2006Claude Giroux and2007 JVR

We have Staal and MDZ, good players, but nowhere near the contribution or impact.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:43 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't care if we got swept by Washington, I'm really pissed that the Rangers were enablers for all of this Flyer success.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Perhaps it's better to look at the first round pics playing.

2003Jeff Carter, 2003Mike Richards,2006Claude Giroux and2007 JVR

We have Staal and MDZ, good players, but nowhere near the contribution or impact.
I think they will have that kind of contribution sooner than later. If we keep Sanguinetti, he'll probably have a great impact as well. It's just a shame we can't seem to find ANY forwards in the first round that pan out.

Old
05-26-2010, 10:49 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
flyers have no top end talent forward wise in the prospect pool. A few question marks and suspects. It is bare. As with every team they have plenty 4th line.3rd line typesThey have 5 guys on d who are legitimate prospects. As someone said when you have most of the core of your team all 25 or under you have time to replenish the bare cubbard. Why will they have to get rid of gagne and carter? That is a flase statement.
We aren't exactly oozing of top end talent in our system either. Grachev and Stepan are the only ones that look like they'll have a legitimate shot at being top 6 impact forwards...Kreider looks good but I'm still skeptical. As far as what we've got on the team right now, I'd probably trade Dubinsky or Callahan for Giroux or JVR, and I think its obvious we'd ship those two away for Richards and/or Carter. Anisimov is the only one I'd think twice about, and I'd most likely still pull the trigger for any of them.

Old
05-26-2010, 11:26 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
I think some people are overestimating how easy it would be for Chicago to beat Philly. The Flyers will be the best team Chicago has faced, and their defense if kept up will make things difficult for the Hawks' offense. There is no way Pronger will let Byfuglien get away with murder in front of the net as he was able to the first three rounds.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
I think some people are overestimating how easy it would be for Chicago to beat Philly. The Flyers will be the best team Chicago has faced, and their defense if kept up will make things difficult for the Hawks' offense. There is no way Pronger will let Byfuglien get away with murder in front of the net as he was able to the first three rounds.
Agreed. The disrespect being shown to the Flyers in this thread, while expected on a Rangers board, is laughable. The Flyers have a team that might not be as top end offensively talented as the Caps or Pens, but is in my opinion deeper than either of those teams up front and very, very clearly superior defensively. The fact that this team was injured and underperformed all year certainly makes that shootout loss at the end of the season sting, but this playoff run is by no means a fluke.

I'm rooting like hell for Chicago to win this series but I assure you it is going to be much, much closer than most of you seem to be thinking it will be.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:08 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
You're really selling the western conference teams short if you think Philly is no-argument-had better than all the teams chicago's faced.

Regardless of Byfuglien's production, if Pronger's got his hands full with him that's still a success for Chicago. He creates space for Kane and Toews. If anyone thinks Byfuglien is the one catalyst to Chicago's success, they're about to be wowed by Toews (leads playoffs in points, 26), Kane(20 P), Keith, Seabrook, Niemi, Sharp (16 P, 3 PPG), Hossa (+8), etc.

Philly's played amateur teams on the way to the finals compared to what Chicago's faced, and compared to Chicago itself. Maybe Philly is up to par with the competition Chicago saw int he prior 3 rounds, but the competition Philly faced was much worse than what Chicago saw.

Old
05-27-2010, 09:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The reason why the Flyers are in the finals?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:53 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
You're really selling the western conference teams short if you think Philly is no-argument-had better than all the teams chicago's faced.

Regardless of Byfuglien's production, if Pronger's got his hands full with him that's still a success for Chicago. He creates space for Kane and Toews. If anyone thinks Byfuglien is the one catalyst to Chicago's success, they're about to be wowed by Toews (leads playoffs in points, 26), Kane(20 P), Keith, Seabrook, Niemi, Sharp (16 P, 3 PPG), Hossa (+8), etc.

Philly's played amateur teams on the way to the finals compared to what Chicago's faced, and compared to Chicago itself. Maybe Philly is up to par with the competition Chicago saw int he prior 3 rounds, but the competition Philly faced was much worse than what Chicago saw.
I never said that the western conference teams were no good. But the defense of Philly is better than that of Nashville, San Jose, and Vancouver. That's how a guy like Leighton is able to put up better numbers than Rinne, Nabokov, and Luongo. The Flyers offensive resources are not totally outclassed by those of the Hawks. I'd give the edge to Chicago of course but this series is gonna come down to who has the better goaltending / defense.

Philly beat Montreal, a team that was able to take out the Caps and Pens. That may be too tangential for some but it does count for something. This season Chicago had 11 more wins over Philadelphia which faced heavy injuries and played in a tougher division.

People here say its going to 4, 5 games. By way of natural selection these are the two best teams left of a field of 30. The Stanley Cup is usually more competitive than not, regardless of how much of a favorite one team is over the other.

This has to go at least 6 IMO.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Crazyhorse30

It should have implications on the rest of the NHL, showing why shootouts are a disgrace to hockey.

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

I agree with this - Philly has a big D but they haven't faced anything near the offensive talent that they're about to be up against. They beat the devils, bruins and canadiens. The devils have the most offensive talent of those three but I don't think I'm alone in saying they put up a freakishly poor performance this year. Boston and Montreal are both pretty weak in the offensive department. Pronger, Philly's best player, is going to be tied up with Byfuglien, one of Chicago's most effective players recently but in no way their main threat. Toews and Kane are going to have a lot of room to work, and as much as I'm a fan of Cammalleri and some of his teammates, Leighton hasn't seen a real elite offense yet.

I predict that Toews and Kane are going to do some serious work on Leighton - his luck is going to run out pretty quickly.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:37 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse30 View Post
It should have implications on the rest of the NHL, showing why shootouts are a disgrace to hockey.
why? Even if that game were to have ended in a tie we still would have been in.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote