HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson Article / LA Weekly

Old
05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
That will never happen.

Jack's overall hockey IQ is nowhere near Drew's. Drew's is on another planet. You can't be taught the kind of innate hockey smarts that Drew has.

Jack could become a really, really good defenseman someday. But he's no Ray Bourque in the making.
Yeah, DD has the higher IQ and I won't disagree with that but who says higher IQ is the absolute barometer when it comes to measuring players? JJ's just begun to come around at the end of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a better player. There is that chance imo.

And whether he does or not, as a kings fan, it's a nice problem to have.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
He's a number 1 draft choice twice, that's awesome.
Clearly, the reporter understands he is worthy of two first round draft picks at the very least

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Jack is a good player with incredible upside.

He has nothing on Doughty's type of talent.

Show me one thing that Johnson does that Doughty doesn't do better.

There is a whole lot that Doughty does that Jack does not do much at all.

Jack can be a great player. Hall of Fame talent. Jack is a once a year type talent though. Meaning that someone on the level I expect Jack to ultimately reach comes along about once a draft. I expect Jack to top out at a Weber or Seabrook.

Doughty on the other hand... well one of those come along once every 5 or 10 years if your lucky.
Good post. If I may add to it, hockey IQ is what seperates the great from the good. DD has that. Jack doesn't. Jack can make up for it in toughness (if he decides to) but he will never be as good as Drew.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
no name

Boy, I am the biggest JJ homer in the world and after reading this thread I think that our Kings forum is bordering on insane. Jack hasn't shown us that he is better than seabrook or Weber. Some of these expectations are getting out of control. I'm afraid there is going to be a lot of JJ hate next year due to some of your man love.

Old
05-26-2010, 01:58 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Some of you really need to get over yourselves. Just because one's opinion is different than yours doesn't necessarily make it untrue. Speaking in absolutes are for the ignorant. Keep an open mind is all I'm saying.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Boy, I am the biggest JJ homer in the world and after reading this thread I think that our Kings forum is bordering on insane. Jack hasn't shown us that he is better than seabrook or Weber. Some of these expectations are getting out of control. I'm afraid there is going to be a lot of JJ hate next year due to some of your man love.
Who said he was currently better than Weber or Seabrook?

05-26-2010, 02:13 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Speaking in absolutes are for the ignorant. .
And the Sith?

Old
05-26-2010, 02:45 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah, DD has the higher IQ and I won't disagree with that but who says higher IQ is the absolute barometer when it comes to measuring players? JJ's just begun to come around at the end of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a better player. There is that chance imo.

And whether he does or not, as a kings fan, it's a nice problem to have.
Who says?

History? Common sense? Facts?

Hockey IQ is what separates good from great, like no name said.

Hockey IQ can make up for other things, but abundance of anything can never replace or make up for hockey IQ. A high hockey IQ is why Lidstrom is Lidstrom. Its why Bourque was Bourque and Orr was Orr. Its why Pronger is Pronger and not Greene. Its even why Hal Gill isn't Maxim Kuznetzov.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Who says?

History? Common sense? Facts?

Hockey IQ is what separates good from great, like no name said.

Hockey IQ can make up for other things, but abundance of anything can never replace or make up for hockey IQ. A high hockey IQ is why Lidstrom is Lidstrom. Its why Bourque was Bourque and Orr was Orr. Its why Pronger is Pronger and not Greene. Its even why Hal Gill isn't Maxim Kuznetzov.
You tell me. Who says hockey IQ is the be-all end-all?

Old
05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
You tell me. Who says hockey IQ is the be-all end-all?
Every great who has ever played the game, that's who.

Name me one GREAT player whose hockey IQ wasn't through the roof? Not someone who had a good season or two. A truly great player. The kind Doughty already is and you expect Johnson may become.

Every generational talent has had high hockey IQ, from the tiny to the large to the mean to the soft to the scorers to the assist men to the defensemen. Its the only commonality.

Old
05-26-2010, 03:18 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Every great who has ever played the game, that's who.

Name me one GREAT player whose hockey IQ wasn't through the roof? Not someone who had a good season or two. A truly great player. The kind Doughty already is and you expect Johnson may become.

Every generational talent has had high hockey IQ, from the tiny to the large to the mean to the soft to the scorers to the assist men to the defensemen. Its the only commonality.
Lol.

Heck, let's just read and see who has the highest hockey IQ from this year's draft. I didn't know drafting was so easy.

The truth (not the exaggerated version) is that every great player will say that hockey IQ is very important. However, I have never heard anyone say that hockey IQ is the most absolute, like you're saying.

Old
05-26-2010, 03:23 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Lol.

Heck, let's just read and see who has the highest hockey IQ from this year's draft. I didn't know drafting was so easy.

The truth (not the exaggerated version) is that every great player will say that hockey IQ is very important. However, I have never heard anyone say that hockey IQ is the most absolute, like you're saying.
Its not the only thing, but it is what separates the good from the great.

What do you think separates the good from the great? Size? Shot? Skating? Speed? Passing?

There are great players who did not possess these things. They all did possess a hockey IQ beyond their years and beyond their competition.

On the flip side, there are always players who have great physical attributes, but don't become great players purely because they lack the smarts.

Why is Hickey a good prospect? Hockey smarts.

Voynov? Smarts

Why is Teubert struggling? Lack of smarts.

You keep countering me with "you're wrong because I don't agree with you" in essence. You have yet to answer a single question of mine and have offered nothing to support your case other than your thus far unreasoned disagreement with my point. Give me something to work with here other than "Why?" "Because".

Old
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Its not the only thing, but it is what separates the good from the great.

What do you think separates the good from the great? Size? Shot? Skating? Speed? Passing?

There are great players who did not possess these things. They all did possess a hockey IQ beyond their years and beyond their competition.

On the flip side, there are always players who have great physical attributes, but don't become great players purely because they lack the smarts.

Why is Hickey a good prospect? Hockey smarts.

Voynov? Smarts

Why is Teubert struggling? Lack of smarts.

You keep countering me with "you're wrong because I don't agree with you" in essence. You have yet to answer a single question of mine and have offered nothing to support your case other than your thus far unreasoned disagreement with my point. Give me something to work with here other than "Why?" "Because".
Ultimately, Championships! I don't agree with it but that's how it's being viewed imo.

And to a degree, I agree with the logic that hockey IQ separates good players from great. However, you're overlooking the notion that hockey players with less IQ can't be great themselves. And Ovechkin's a great example. I don't think Ovechkin has a great hockey IQ but because he's so gifted physically, he's already known as one of the most dominant players in the league if not most. That's the point that I'm trying to make.

Old
05-26-2010, 05:40 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
ovechkin is smarter than he's given credit for. he's ALWAYS in the right spot to score goals. every single time. he reads the play in the offensive zone incredibly well.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:14 AM
JackJohnsonFan*

Jack Johnson will be a finalist for the Norris Trophy before the age of 27.

Guy put up 36 points with scrap power play minutes and Randy Jones as his primary defensive partner.

If they ever let him play the first unit and log 25 minutes/night with a decent partner, he'll rip off 60 point seasons.

JackJohnsonFan* is offline   Reply With Quote