HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson Article / LA Weekly

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
  #26
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
That will never happen.

Jack's overall hockey IQ is nowhere near Drew's. Drew's is on another planet. You can't be taught the kind of innate hockey smarts that Drew has.

Jack could become a really, really good defenseman someday. But he's no Ray Bourque in the making.
Yeah, DD has the higher IQ and I won't disagree with that but who says higher IQ is the absolute barometer when it comes to measuring players? JJ's just begun to come around at the end of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a better player. There is that chance imo.

And whether he does or not, as a kings fan, it's a nice problem to have.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
  #27
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
He's a number 1 draft choice twice, that's awesome.
Clearly, the reporter understands he is worthy of two first round draft picks at the very least

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
  #28
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Jack is a good player with incredible upside.

He has nothing on Doughty's type of talent.

Show me one thing that Johnson does that Doughty doesn't do better.

There is a whole lot that Doughty does that Jack does not do much at all.

Jack can be a great player. Hall of Fame talent. Jack is a once a year type talent though. Meaning that someone on the level I expect Jack to ultimately reach comes along about once a draft. I expect Jack to top out at a Weber or Seabrook.

Doughty on the other hand... well one of those come along once every 5 or 10 years if your lucky.
Good post. If I may add to it, hockey IQ is what seperates the great from the good. DD has that. Jack doesn't. Jack can make up for it in toughness (if he decides to) but he will never be as good as Drew.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
  #29
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,754
vCash: 500
Boy, I am the biggest JJ homer in the world and after reading this thread I think that our Kings forum is bordering on insane. Jack hasn't shown us that he is better than seabrook or Weber. Some of these expectations are getting out of control. I'm afraid there is going to be a lot of JJ hate next year due to some of your man love.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:58 PM
  #30
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 3733
Some of you really need to get over yourselves. Just because one's opinion is different than yours doesn't necessarily make it untrue. Speaking in absolutes are for the ignorant. Keep an open mind is all I'm saying.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
  #31
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Boy, I am the biggest JJ homer in the world and after reading this thread I think that our Kings forum is bordering on insane. Jack hasn't shown us that he is better than seabrook or Weber. Some of these expectations are getting out of control. I'm afraid there is going to be a lot of JJ hate next year due to some of your man love.
Who said he was currently better than Weber or Seabrook?

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:13 PM
  #32
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Speaking in absolutes are for the ignorant. .
And the Sith?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:45 PM
  #33
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Yeah, DD has the higher IQ and I won't disagree with that but who says higher IQ is the absolute barometer when it comes to measuring players? JJ's just begun to come around at the end of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a better player. There is that chance imo.

And whether he does or not, as a kings fan, it's a nice problem to have.
Who says?

History? Common sense? Facts?

Hockey IQ is what separates good from great, like no name said.

Hockey IQ can make up for other things, but abundance of anything can never replace or make up for hockey IQ. A high hockey IQ is why Lidstrom is Lidstrom. Its why Bourque was Bourque and Orr was Orr. Its why Pronger is Pronger and not Greene. Its even why Hal Gill isn't Maxim Kuznetzov.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
  #34
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Who says?

History? Common sense? Facts?

Hockey IQ is what separates good from great, like no name said.

Hockey IQ can make up for other things, but abundance of anything can never replace or make up for hockey IQ. A high hockey IQ is why Lidstrom is Lidstrom. Its why Bourque was Bourque and Orr was Orr. Its why Pronger is Pronger and not Greene. Its even why Hal Gill isn't Maxim Kuznetzov.
You tell me. Who says hockey IQ is the be-all end-all?

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
  #35
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
You tell me. Who says hockey IQ is the be-all end-all?
Every great who has ever played the game, that's who.

Name me one GREAT player whose hockey IQ wasn't through the roof? Not someone who had a good season or two. A truly great player. The kind Doughty already is and you expect Johnson may become.

Every generational talent has had high hockey IQ, from the tiny to the large to the mean to the soft to the scorers to the assist men to the defensemen. Its the only commonality.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:18 PM
  #36
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Every great who has ever played the game, that's who.

Name me one GREAT player whose hockey IQ wasn't through the roof? Not someone who had a good season or two. A truly great player. The kind Doughty already is and you expect Johnson may become.

Every generational talent has had high hockey IQ, from the tiny to the large to the mean to the soft to the scorers to the assist men to the defensemen. Its the only commonality.
Lol.

Heck, let's just read and see who has the highest hockey IQ from this year's draft. I didn't know drafting was so easy.

The truth (not the exaggerated version) is that every great player will say that hockey IQ is very important. However, I have never heard anyone say that hockey IQ is the most absolute, like you're saying.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:23 PM
  #37
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Lol.

Heck, let's just read and see who has the highest hockey IQ from this year's draft. I didn't know drafting was so easy.

The truth (not the exaggerated version) is that every great player will say that hockey IQ is very important. However, I have never heard anyone say that hockey IQ is the most absolute, like you're saying.
Its not the only thing, but it is what separates the good from the great.

What do you think separates the good from the great? Size? Shot? Skating? Speed? Passing?

There are great players who did not possess these things. They all did possess a hockey IQ beyond their years and beyond their competition.

On the flip side, there are always players who have great physical attributes, but don't become great players purely because they lack the smarts.

Why is Hickey a good prospect? Hockey smarts.

Voynov? Smarts

Why is Teubert struggling? Lack of smarts.

You keep countering me with "you're wrong because I don't agree with you" in essence. You have yet to answer a single question of mine and have offered nothing to support your case other than your thus far unreasoned disagreement with my point. Give me something to work with here other than "Why?" "Because".

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
  #38
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Its not the only thing, but it is what separates the good from the great.

What do you think separates the good from the great? Size? Shot? Skating? Speed? Passing?

There are great players who did not possess these things. They all did possess a hockey IQ beyond their years and beyond their competition.

On the flip side, there are always players who have great physical attributes, but don't become great players purely because they lack the smarts.

Why is Hickey a good prospect? Hockey smarts.

Voynov? Smarts

Why is Teubert struggling? Lack of smarts.

You keep countering me with "you're wrong because I don't agree with you" in essence. You have yet to answer a single question of mine and have offered nothing to support your case other than your thus far unreasoned disagreement with my point. Give me something to work with here other than "Why?" "Because".
Ultimately, Championships! I don't agree with it but that's how it's being viewed imo.

And to a degree, I agree with the logic that hockey IQ separates good players from great. However, you're overlooking the notion that hockey players with less IQ can't be great themselves. And Ovechkin's a great example. I don't think Ovechkin has a great hockey IQ but because he's so gifted physically, he's already known as one of the most dominant players in the league if not most. That's the point that I'm trying to make.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:40 PM
  #39
vh2k7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 670
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
ovechkin is smarter than he's given credit for. he's ALWAYS in the right spot to score goals. every single time. he reads the play in the offensive zone incredibly well.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:14 AM
  #40
JackJohnsonFan*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Jack Johnson will be a finalist for the Norris Trophy before the age of 27.

Guy put up 36 points with scrap power play minutes and Randy Jones as his primary defensive partner.

If they ever let him play the first unit and log 25 minutes/night with a decent partner, he'll rip off 60 point seasons.

JackJohnsonFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.