HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/26 Discussion - If Koivu leaves, do the Wild rebuild?

View Poll Results: If Koivu leaves after the 2010-2011 season, should the Wild rebuild?
Yes they should rebuild 12 80.00%
No they should use free agency and trades to stay competitive 0 0%
Who cares? They are dead to me. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-26-2010, 03:23 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
5/26 Discussion - If Koivu leaves, do the Wild rebuild?

Looking at all the beautifully bad Koivu proposals over the past couple days has made me ask myself if the Wild would rebuild if Koivu refused to sign with the team? The last time Minnesota was in this position (aka last year), they were still a team of veterans who were locked up for the next couple years and a pipeline shallower than the kiddie pool. The latter is very important because you can't rebuild a team without a rebuilding block and sadly the Wild don't even have that.

If there's anyone to build a team around, it would be Koivu. That's one of the reasons why the team has named him captain and tried to surround him with quality younger talent who can play now. At the same time, the team next year will have a lot of veteran players be UFAs along with a couple prospects ready to move up (and hopefully another great draft class or two behind them) and flexibility. That would allow them to rebuild if Fletcher wanted to blow things up, but also let him plug in his own players to fill holes and continue to try to compete.

So what do the Wild do in the case that Mikko Koivu decides to test free agency? Do they rebuild or do they retool?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:27 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Rebuild and prepare for the torches.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:42 PM
BigT2002

Someone will be nailed to a cross if that happens all I can say. Whether its Richards, Fletcher....someone will be going down hard. Their marketing people just got a piece of my mind about ticket prices and no incentive for STH's for the Finland trip

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:42 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Hypothetically, if Koivu leaves Zidlicky, Backstrom & Havlat would be more willing to waive their NTC/NMCs. I doubt they'd want to sail on a sinking ship & would fetch some decent young talent to help with the rebuild.

Not that this will happen. Koivu is nearly as much of a lock to resign as Mauer was.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Koivu to New York (n3)

Old
05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
Hypothetically, if Koivu leaves Zidlicky, Backstrom & Havlat would be more willing to waive their NTC/NMCs. I doubt they'd want to sail on a sinking ship & would fetch some decent young talent to help with the rebuild.

Not that this will happen. Koivu is nearly as much of a lock to resign as Mauer was.
It was too much fun to say Mauer would be in pinstripes though If Koivu goes to the Rangers, I will castrate this club and go back to being a Wings fan

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:09 PM
saywut

We still need to rebuild/retool with him. Who are his wingers after next season if he stays? Brunette, how many years are left in him? Missthenetagain, along with all our other options(Lats and Havlat should remain on line 2, which needs a center) are not quality options at RW on a first line. With all the money tied up on a poor defense group, a midget who should call it quits, and questionable goaltending those needs will be hard to fill.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

As I said elsewhere, Leipold will have Fletcher be aggressive again this year in trying to improve and get younger.

I really think the Wild will push for a long term deal with Koivu and my gut feeling is he'll sign here. Depending on what the summer looks like, maybe we have to overpay.

But if he doesn't re-sign and the Wild are out of it by the deadline, I can definitely see Koivu and Burns being moved and a complete start from scratch rebuild. It will take a few years to get out of Bouchard, Backstrom, and Schultz's contracts by then.

That's just worse case scenario though, more likely he'll sign this summer, and we'll shop guys like Bruno, Miettinen, and Kobasew at the deadline.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Rebuild what? The team or the X?

Because they both are gonna need it.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:58 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
depends entirely on what we get for Koivu. We'd be able to get a lot for he and Burns, but if we're in rebuilding mode we do have to ditch our other paychecks as well. Havlat could find a home, but I don't think we'd have an easy time selling off Zid and Backs if they waived their NTCs.

It's not likely, but it could easily happen. If it does...I'm just going to keep going to games and try to enjoy the bitterness. I'd be a lot more okay with it if Gaborik was still around--not comfortable by any means, but not reaching for the razor blades either.

We'd have to rebuild, but it would be hard to loosen up enough salary to make an honest job of it.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:02 PM
State of Hockey

We need a rebuild even if he re-signs.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Lifer

If Koivu leaves, blow it up.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
IF he quits, yes.

but I don't want to see it.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Rebuild entirely if they lose him. He's the heart and soul of the team. I'm 99% sure it won't happen since he loves it here and his role on the team.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:26 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Seriously everyone will go into the fetal position

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:27 AM
mnwildgophers

If Koivu leaves, I'll do this

Seriously though, I don't see him saying no to a long-term deal.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:25 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

If Koivu loses, this team is in dire straights...and I think you'll see fans moving on to other things.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah if Koivu and Burns go, I'm done with the team. They wasted a lot of goodwill and faith after the 2003 run, mismanaged the hell out of the team, lost the franchise star player for nothing, and if they can't keep the only two players worth watching, why bother? They were already crap last year.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
If Koivu loses, this team is in dire straights...and I think you'll see fans moving on to other things.
Like this guy:

Old
05-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

If Koivu does leave I would be hard pressed to call myself a Wild fan anymore. I think that would be the last straw for me. Losing our two best players in two years does not exactly give me confidence that management is doing their best or even good enough to assemble a winning team. I think we lose Mikko we would have to go into full blown rebuild more. Not just because we would lose our best player, but I think we would have an even more difficult time luring FA's with what would become a dubious pattern of losing not only top tier talent, but losing talent we drafted and developed ourselves.

All that being said I have a LOT confidence that we will be able re-sign Mikko. He is a lot more pro-Wild than I think Gaborik ever was. Although in slight Gaborik's defence I do think our previous GM did jerk him around a bit. But that seemed to be a two way street thanks to agent Allan Walsh. GMCF has already shown that he is an aggressive GM that will pull the trigger on something if he wants it. I betting there will be an extension in place before Labor Day.

By the way who is Mikko's agent?

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In all fairness though, Gopher, he's not like anybody else.

Mikko is a completely different character than Gabby. I have 99% confidence they will sign him this summer.

Beyond that, I don't buy the idea that we can just trade Havlat, Zidlicky, Backstrom, and anyone else under contract with some kind of NTC. Those kinds of silly ideas are what is frustrating to read these forums. Like we can just get rid of contracts we signed less than a year ago!

And hey, we don't need to get rid of everyone to tank...look at Edmonton, they had Souray, Hemsky, Penner, Gagner, and a few other decent guys and they were still awful. Toronto had a few great players too, and of course, Tampa Bay. All you need is a lack of leadership.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
If Koivu does leave I would be hard pressed to call myself a Wild fan anymore. I think that would be the last straw for me. Losing our two best players in two years does not exactly give me confidence that management is doing their best or even good enough to assemble a winning team. I think we lose Mikko we would have to go into full blown rebuild more. Not just because we would lose our best player, but I think we would have an even more difficult time luring FA's with what would become a dubious pattern of losing not only top tier talent, but losing talent we drafted and developed ourselves.

All that being said I have a LOT confidence that we will be able re-sign Mikko. He is a lot more pro-Wild than I think Gaborik ever was. Although in slight Gaborik's defence I do think our previous GM did jerk him around a bit. But that seemed to be a two way street thanks to agent Allan Walsh. GMCF has already shown that he is an aggressive GM that will pull the trigger on something if he wants it. I betting there will be an extension in place before Labor Day.

By the way who is Mikko's agent?
I'm not sure who Koivu's agent is (that may be a question for Russo), but did anyone find it funny that Walsh represents both Gaborik and Havlat?

Old
05-27-2010, 03:31 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I'm not sure who Koivu's agent is (that may be a question for Russo), but did anyone find it funny that Walsh represents both Gaborik and Havlat?
I thought that Gabby was represented by Salcer?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I couldn't even find agent info online. As he was also Sykora's agent. I remember hearing that Walsh was Havlat's agent right after he signed here. All I thought was thank god we will probably never have to negotiate another contract with Havlat with Walsh as his agent. The worst we have to worry about with Walsh is nasty tweets if Havlat is unhappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Crap you are right about that. My bad. All jackhole agents look a like to me.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:38 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
You are right. Gabby was represented by Walsh but fired him after his first holdout in favor of (eventually) Salcer. My bad everyone.