HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak wants to take time before thinking new contract

Old
05-26-2010, 12:30 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You're right, it's fans and media speculating but can you honestly believe they want a split? halak already asked for a trade when he was 1B and price was 1A, now...if it's still uncertain, he may want to avoid the whole ordeal again, as will Price. Again, speculation, but they don't want to battle it out for #1 till they are 27 and UFA.
It's doesn't matter...it's not their choice.

The organization will do what's best for the Habs...not what's best for Halak and/or Price.

If a trade comes along that benefits the Habs as well as the players involved, they'll pull the trigger. But until then, both goalies better stay sharp.

In other words...Habs and Pierre Gauthier can't lose if they stay patient.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
eightyseven

Quote:

The organization will do what's best for the Habs...not what's best for Halak and/or Price.

If a trade comes along that benefits the Habs as well as the players involved, they'll pull the trigger. But until then, both goalies better stay sharp.

The problem is that they will both be unhappy about it if they have to continue to "battle it out" for the #1 job starting next season again. Why keep two unhappy goalies around for longer? It's an unnecessary distraction. Jaro/his agent have already demanded a trade when he wasn't playing enough games, and Price has already said he wants to play more games next year (NOT the 50/50 split). The psychological aspect of pro spots is underrated around here; I think both of them just want to be able to concentrate on their games and improving themselves, not about whether the other is better/should've played, etc. Management is going to have to make a choice sooner or later.

Quote:
again, as i said before. if there's players who don't want to be there, how the hell do you manage to enforce a team concept? It's not as easy as "too bad, you're staying"...it's naive to think you can build a TEAM with players who aren't happy.
Exactly. They won't be happy with the situation. And the worst thing that could happen is that BOTH of them want to get out of Montreal.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

again, as i said before. if there's players who don't want to be there, how the hell do you manage to enforce a team concept? It's not as easy as "too bad, you're staying"...it's naive to think you can build a TEAM with players who aren't happy.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
The problem is that they will both be unhappy about it if they have to continue to "battle it out" for the #1 job starting next season again. Why keep two unhappy goalies around for longer? It's an unnecessary distraction. Jaro/his agent have already demanded a trade when he wasn't playing enough games, and Price has already said he wants to play more games next year (NOT the 50/50 split). The psychological aspect of pro spots is underrated around here; I think both of them just want to be able to concentrate on their games and improving themselves, not about whether the other is better/should've played, etc. Management is going to have to make a choice sooner or later.

I love how so many posters have such insight into the exact thoughts and feelings of Price & Halak.

These are two professional athletes, ages 25 and 22. They are being paid ridiculous sums of money to perform their craft. Both show promise and potential and both have had stretches to show what this potential could be. If either one of these players thinks that they deserve to just be handed the reigns so they can 'concentrate on their game' while not worrying about being usurped, then they are in for a rude awakening. At this point in their careers, they have both had to fight to improve and stay at the top of their games, and have seen what it feels like when someone else outperforms them and gets more play time. Whatever team they end up on and whatever other goalie they play with, they had better be ready to compete every game, or step aside and let the other guy do it. This is no different from playing forward or defense or another sport, someone else outperforms you and they play instead of you. My feeling is that both Jaro and Carey completely get it and if they both come back, they will push each other hard and the Habs will get great goaltending.

Quote:
How would you say the team benefitted from neither goalie being 'happy' this year? Seems to me that the Habs got pretty much fantastic goaltending all season. As a fan, I would be very 'happy' to have the same setup next year.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
How would you say the team benefitted from neither goalie being 'happy' this year? Seems to me that the Habs got pretty much fantastic goaltending all season. As a fan, I would be very 'happy' to have the same setup next year.
I want to keep both, so you're asking wrong guy. Merely suggesting if they announce their displeasure. "too bad" can't be used as someone suggested. "we won't trade you for nothing, if we find a deal, sure" is one thing "hell no, mother ****er, rot in back up position till your UFA *****!" is another. That's all im saying.

Old
05-26-2010, 01:32 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
My feeling is that both Jaro and Carey completely get it and if they both come back, they will push each other hard and the Habs will get great goaltending.
Did you not watch Price's exit interview? He said it would be "tough" to see both of them back next year again. They both want to play and having a 50/50 split isn't necessarily in their best interests for their development. I don't think Price will be happy about sharing his work-load with Jaro again next year and why keep two unhappy goalies on the roster?

Jaro's agent, Allan Walsh implied the same thing. He wants a long-term contract for Jaro as the #1 going forward after his career year and will want Price out of the picture so Jaro doesn't have to worry about getting his job stolen by Price, etc.

Old
05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Did you not watch Price's exit interview? He said it would be "tough" to see both of them back next year again. They both want to play and having a 50/50 split isn't necessarily in their best interests for their development. I don't think Price will be happy about sharing his work-load with Jaro again next year and why keep two unhappy goalies on the roster?

Jaro's agent, Allan Walsh implied the same thing. He wants a long-term contract for Jaro as the #1 going forward after his career year and will want Price out of the picture so Jaro doesn't have to worry about getting his job stolen by Price.
Out of curiousity, do you know how to quote normally?

Old
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I want to keep both, so you're asking wrong guy. Merely suggesting if they announce their displeasure. "too bad" can't be used as someone suggested. "we won't trade you for nothing, if we find a deal, sure" is one thing "hell no, mother ****er, rot in back up position till your UFA *****!" is another. That's all im saying.
I think Price is well aware that the longest he'll wait is 2 years (when Halak goes UFA), so he'd only be 24/25 by that time and could hardly consider that "rotting away" no matter how ready he is (or thinks he is) right now. Right now, as a GM, you cater to Halak (toss him some money, but nothing long term, of course), and expect your 22 year old to have a bit of patience and understanding. Not like he (Price) has so many options for a new home that offer so much less competition for the #1 spot over the next 2 years anyways.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Funny...it worked fine this year.

There's nothing wrong with players on the same team wanting to compete for one spot, of course, whoever is on the outside looking in is not going to be happy (it shouldn't be any other way really) but he's supposed to use that as motivation to reclaim the spot he wants or showcase his skills for another team.

There's nothing wrong with internal competition...

Old
05-26-2010, 02:03 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Not like he (Price) has so many options for a new home that offer so much less competition for the #1 spot over the next 2 years anyways.
San Jose, St.Louis, Tampa Bay, New York Islanders...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Price get an offer sheet this summer.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
I wouldn't be surprised to see either Price or Halak or Both get an offer sheet this summer...
how ever I am skeptical that it will happen.
i just dont see a team giving up 1st and 3rd for either goalie.
But stanger things have happend I guess.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I think Price is well aware that the longest he'll wait is 2 years (when Halak goes UFA), so he'd only be 24/25 by that time and could hardly consider that "rotting away" no matter how ready he is (or thinks he is) right now. Right now, as a GM, you cater to Halak (toss him some money, but nothing long term, of course), and expect your 22 year old to have a bit of patience and understanding. Not like he (Price) has so many options for a new home that offer so much less competition for the #1 spot over the next 2 years anyways.
Quote:
Funny...it worked fine this year.

There's nothing wrong with players on the same team wanting to compete for one spot, of course, whoever is on the outside looking in is not going to be happy (it shouldn't be any other way really) but he's supposed to use that as motivation to reclaim the spot he wants or showcase his skills for another team.

There's nothing wrong with internal competition...

I think you guys fail to get the point. It has zero to do with internal competition. If one of the two ask for a trade, there's a limit to how much you can cater to them. Halak already did ask for a trade, do you honestly believe if Carey regains spot or they split again, he'll suddenly feel like staying? Already, his agent is pushing to get him a solo spot, here or anywhere. You're crazy if you think it's as simple as "we own your rights". What if it becomes a distraction in the locker room? "we own your rights carey/jaroslav"...yah, that will really ease the situation. They just want to play, and i get internal competition, but if you test both of them enough, they'll both leave when they're 27(UFA) cuz u had no never felt they were #1 and will go to a team that will give them exclusivity. Besides, it's not 2 years, what if they sign Jaro long term and price has to wait 5 years? Yah...that makes soooo much sense. These guys need to play to learn and reach their potential. Leaving price/halak on the bench for another 2 years will just make them lose confidence and **** up their development. Not to mention, they won't send you a thank you card when they turn 27 and their contract is out.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Guys...offer sheets are exceptional. They rarely happen if you take the amount of RFA's every year and the amount of players who have been tendered an offer sheet.

Right off the top of my head, I can think of 2 players...Ryan Kesler and David Backes. That's 2 out of hundreds of RFA's every year

The likelyhood of Price receiving an offer sheet is little to none.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I think you guys fail to get the point. It has zero to do with internal competition. If one of the two ask for a trade, there's a limit to how much you can cater to them. Halak already did ask for a trade, do you honestly believe if Carey regains spot or they split again, he'll suddenly feel like staying? Already, his agent is pushing to get him a solo spot, here or anywhere. You're crazy if you think it's as simple as "we own your rights". What if it becomes a distraction in the locker room? "we own your rights carey/jaroslav"...yah, that will really ease the situation. They just want to play, and i get internal competition, but if you test both of them enough, they'll both leave when they're 27(UFA) cuz u had no never felt they were #1 and will go to a team that will give them exclusivity. Besides, it's not 2 years, what if they sign Jaro long term and price has to wait 5 years? Yah...that makes soooo much sense. These guys need to play to learn and reach their potential. Leaving price/halak on the bench for another 2 years will just make them lose confidence and **** up their development. Not to mention, they won't send you a thank you card when they turn 27 and their contract is out.
Nah...I totally get the point. I just don't think professional athletes are as EMO as people on this board.

Leaving Price on the bench is not going to ruin him...again, in ANY OTHER NHL city. Price being a backup would be normal. But in Montreal, it means he's GOT to go...

if Price wants to be #1...he's going to have to EARN it. And if Halak wants to remain #1, he's going to have to continue doing what he did the second half of the season and playoffs and even do MORE.

But once again...the Habs are in the driver's seat. They have two young goalies who aspire to be #1 goalies. Their performance will dictate which one gets that honour, plain and simple.

I don't get wha the big debate is here...really? What's the problem?????

Last edited by 417: 05-26-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old
05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
HomaridII

For what its worth ..

Eklund predicts that Halak will get his contract and that Price will be traded to NJ.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:21 PM
eightyseven

Eklund is never right...lol.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Nah...I totally get the point. I just don't think professional athletes are as EMO as people on this board.

Leaving Price on the bench is not going to ruin him...again, in ANY OTHER NHL city. Price being a backup would be normal. But in Montreal, it means he's GOT to go...

if Price wants to be #1...he's going to have to EARN it. And if Halak wants to remain #1, he's going to have to continue doing what he did the second half of the season and playoffs and even do MORE.

But once again...the Habs are in the driver's seat. They have two young goalies who aspire to be #1 goalies. Their performance will dictate which one gets that honour, plain and simple.

Just tell me... have you already been playing organized sports at any good level in your life?...

Athletes have an even bigger ego than normal people. I can tell you that for sure.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post

Quote:
Just tell me... have you already been playing organized sports at any good level in your life?...
Of course I have...I played basketball at a fairly high level.

Quote:
Athletes have an even bigger ego than normal people. I can tell you that for sure
I said "EMO"....not "EGO".

Old
05-26-2010, 02:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

But once again...the Habs are in the driver's seat. They have two young goalies who aspire to be #1 goalies. They're play will dictate which one gets that honour, plain and simple.

Like i said, I want to keep both. I also said something that you constantly ignore, Halak, as a backup working to be #1, already asked for a trade. Should they be tied again, or no one takes reigns, it might get ugly. Either way, it's not the same to be on 3rd line as opposed to 2nd line. For a goalie, you either play, or you don't. It's not fun.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
For what its worth ..

Eklund predicts that Halak will get his contract and that Price will be traded to NJ.
But... but... Price would then have to be backup to Brodeur and play just 7 games all year???!?!?!? If I'm Price I take $500k from the Habs first.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Like i said, I want to keep both. I also said something that you constantly ignore, Halak, as a backup working to be #1, already asked for a trade. Should they be tied again, or no one takes reigns, it might get ugly. Either way, it's not the same to be on 3rd line as opposed to 2nd line. For a goalie, you either play, or you don't. It's not fun.
I'm sorry...it wasn't my intention to ignore. I'll address this...

I don't believe things will get ugly. I think the media/fans often paint the picture that there's beef between Price & Halak. I don't buy that. I just think that they both believe and want to be #1 goalies, there's nothing wrong with that. That's the way it supposed to be and that's the dynamic of having two young talented goalies.

In most teams, you have a backup whose just content with being on an NHL roster...but in Montreal, you have two guys who both want the same thing. I don't know, I think that's a good thing.

Again...I really don't understand how the Habs aren't in anything but a great situations in terms of their goalies. If there's one position i have no worries whatsoever about, it's goaltending.

90% of the time (and probably a bit more than that) whoever starts in goal for the Habs gives them a great chance to win. How many teams wish they could say that???

I'd be VERY careful before giving away that advantage.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Bolded are the major problems you're having trying to illustrate the "point" you think we've missed here. In order:

It has EVERYTHING to do with internal competition. A 22 year old goaltender doesn't ask for a trade unless he thinks he is completely free of competition in whichever "greener pasture" he sees out there. People keep mentioning this magic meadow, yet they pretty much always fail to actually point to it on a map.

Halak never asked for a trade, and you'll fail to produce anything beyond pure speculation as to the intentions of his agent for saying what he did, and/or the actual words/tones used if any direct talks did result from it between them and management.

From what we've seen and heard from these two guys so far, what leads you to even suspect that they'd let themselves become a distraction to the rest of the team as a whole? Both want to play more (duh), but I see two guys who impress me more with their professionalism every day.

They'll both leave when they're 27? The only way Halak leaves when he's 27 is if Price decidedly passes him between now and then, and the Habs let him go when HE becomes UFA (hopefully gets traded before it gets to that point, but that's another topic). If that ends up being the case, then Price already becomes "the guy", gets the contract and commitment he's been looking/striving for, and there's no way you could honestly expect he'd run just 2 years later. In any event, Halak has earned a harder look next year, and I think Price understands that and realizes he'll still have plenty of opportunities to show his stuff next year regardless.

Goalies don't rot/peak prematurely/decline if they spend most of their time pre-25 in a backup role (especially when you can expect them to get 25, even 30+ starts every year). In fact, the entire history of goaltending development in the NHL suggests it's almost always the smart thing to do (no matter how much talent and/or "potential" you see in a guy). As far as "confidence" is concerned, there's little chance of that (if we're focusing on Price here, which you obviously are) unless you're not getting played over a guy that performs like Toskala. If you're young and playing behind a guy performing like Halak, that's just incentive to keep getting better and try to pass a bar that's set that high.

Of course, if it's Halak's confidence you're worried about (sitting on the bench), he'd be let go to free agency/trade in the end anyway, meaning Price would be playing well and leading the charge, so where's the problem?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

I will reiterate my personal guarantee that neither Price nor Halak sign an external RFA offer sheet this summer.

It just isn't done that way. And NHL teams don't need to give up that much to get decent goaltending anyway.

I won't eat my keyboard if one gets traded, the last one didn't agree with me. But if one does get traded, I will hold Gauthier responsible for making sure it's a sound hockey deal that improves our hockey team, not just a deal to assuage any egos or settle down any hyperventilating hockey fans. Draft picks and prospects aren't acceptable. Most good players have high salaries and our payroll isn't really conducive to adding high salaries at the moment. So I don't see a lot of reason to think he'll be able to make a trade that improves our hockey team. Keeping both goalies is a reasonable outcome to hope for, therefore.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I will reiterate my personal guarantee that neither Price nor Halak sign an external RFA offer sheet this summer.

It just isn't done that way. And NHL teams don't need to give up that much to get decent goaltending anyway.

I won't eat my keyboard if one gets traded, the last one didn't agree with me. But if one does get traded, I will hold Gauthier responsible for making sure it's a sound hockey deal that improves our hockey team, not just a deal to assuage any egos or settle down any hyperventilating hockey fans. Draft picks and prospects aren't acceptable. Most good players have high salaries and our payroll isn't really conducive to adding high salaries at the moment. So I don't see a lot of reason to think he'll be able to make a trade that improves our hockey team. Keeping both goalies is a reasonable outcome to hope for, therefore.
I'll endorse that guarantee...

RFA offer sheets aren't as prevelant and people think. Every year people talk about them, but they rarely happen.

Old
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Bolded are the major problems you're having trying to illustrate the "point" you think we've missed here. In order:

It has EVERYTHING to do with internal competition. A 22 year old goaltender doesn't ask for a trade unless he thinks he is completely free of competition in whichever "greener pasture" he sees out there. People keep mentioning this magic meadow, yet they pretty much always fail to actually point to it on a map.

Halak never asked for a trade, and you'll fail to produce anything beyond pure speculation as to the intentions of his agent for saying what he did, and/or the actual words/tones used if any direct talks did result from it between them and management.

From what we've seen and heard from these two guys so far, what leads you to even suspect that they'd let themselves become a distraction to the rest of the team as a whole? Both want to play more (duh), but I see two guys who impress me more with their professionalism every day.

They'll both leave when they're 27? The only way Halak leaves when he's 27 is if Price decidedly passes him between now and then, and the Habs let him go when HE becomes UFA (hopefully gets traded before it gets to that point, but that's another topic). If that ends up being the case, then Price already becomes "the guy", gets the contract and commitment he's been looking/striving for, and there's no way you could honestly expect he'd run just 2 years later. In any event, Halak has earned a harder look next year, and I think Price understands that and realizes he'll still have plenty of opportunities to show his stuff next year regardless.

Goalies don't rot/peak prematurely/decline if they spend most of their time pre-25 in a backup role (especially when you can expect them to get 25, even 30+ starts every year). In fact, the entire history of goaltending development in the NHL suggests it's almost always the smart thing to do (no matter how much talent and/or "potential" you see in a guy). As far as "confidence" is concerned, there's little chance of that (if we're focusing on Price here, which you obviously are) unless you're not getting played over a guy that performs like Toskala. If you're young and playing behind a guy performing like Halak, that's just incentive to keep getting better and try to pass a bar that's set that high.

Of course, if it's Halak's confidence you're worried about (sitting on the bench), he'd be let go to free agency/trade in the end anyway, meaning Price would be playing well and leading the charge, so where's the problem?
Dany Heatley: "I want a trade"

Bryan Murray: "I had to trade him, or else it would be a distraction"

Any questions?

There's been even interviews with gauthier about halak's request.

When i said "nothing to do with internal competition" i meant my point was not about them not wanting to compete for a spot, rather, halak, i'm sure, should feel he earned it, and so should've carey in his rookie year. It's been swinging back and forth and if someone finally beats the other, the other wants out, and if they keep playing this 40 games a piece, why would they want to stay? More games= more opportunity for:better career, better legacy, better contract, etc...

They are professionals and have taken it well, just saying don't test them forever, they will get fed up. Imagine working hard at work for a promotion, a better salary, a chance to prove your worth, and they never give it to you. Guess what, eventually you may quit and apply elsewhere. We're human, so are they.

After this, i'll just agree to disagree. It's my opinion that we should keep both, but all I'm saying is, if one asks for a trade, you trade them, you can't force someone who doesn't want to be here, to stay. It will be a distraction, that's all. If they don't ask for a trade or complain, 1 more year at the most.