HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign D Yann Sauve

Old
05-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
This thread needs reading. Granted they were 16 at the time, but it kind of gives you an idea what Sauve was initially thought to be. Even if he hasn't progressed as much as Doughty (duh), that doesn't mean he's not an NHL player. He's making a steady progression, and that's better, to me, than someone who grows in leaps and bounds and you never know what you're going to get when it's all finished.
If Sauve had the skills early on but his development has flatlined, is that not the very definition of a project player?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Reign Nateo

Aren't the majourity of prospects "projects"? Defencemen in particular.

I'll take my chances on a project that is 20, 6-3 220 and a smooth skater. He improved his stats every year of junior hockey as well. He has the potential to be a solid top-4 guy. Project? Maybe, but its the type of project most teams would love to have.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Reign Nateo

He went from 15 to 21 to 30 and then to 36 points consecutively. As well as emerged as one of the most important defencemen on his team. Is that not development?

Old
05-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
He went from 15 to 21 to 30 and then to 36 points consecutively. As well as emerged as one of the most important defencemen on his team. Is that not development?
Lol, ya I also find this hard to classify as 'flat lining'.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Those seem like pretty underwhelming improvements don't they? 36 points for a guy with NHL size playing his 4th year of Junior doesn't exactly jump out at me. Looking at those numbers I wouldn't expect much in the way of offense at the NHL level.

How good of a shutdown defensemen should we expect out of a player with questionable hockey sense and decision making in his own end? Sounds to me like a clone of Shane O'Brien. What does Sauve possess that O'Brien does not?

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Those seem like pretty underwhelming improvements don't they? 36 points for a guy with NHL size playing his 4th year of Junior doesn't exactly jump out at me. Looking at those numbers I wouldn't expect much in the way of offense at the NHL level.

How good of a shutdown defensemen should we expect out of a player with questionable hockey sense and decision making in his own end? Sounds to me like a clone of Shane O'Brien. What does Sauve possess that O'Brien does not?
I really don't think there is that much between SOB and Sauve. Remember O'Brien was a pretty highly regarded player in his younger days. Remember the return Anaheim garnered for him? He just never matured. Like Gillis said, he has the tools but hasn't been willing to put it together and do what it takes to become a solid top-4 NHL defencemen. Sauve has a very similar skill set, although I would say he's less aggressive and more of a positional guy. Hard to judge as the Q and the O are much different leagues. But he's got the tools, as did SOB, the question is will he figure out how to use them?

Old
05-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
No, more a function of being older, bigger and stronger than other kids. I would have expected more given his projected skill set at 15-16.

It is more indicative of his slow development that he went from a potential WJC player in 2008 to a non-invitee in 2009.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:35 PM
jimmythescot

In this thread I've leaned that defencemen score points by using their size effectively.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
In this thread I've leaned that defencemen score points by using their size effectively.
Getting bigger, stronger, faster and more experienced should help a player in all 3 zones. Especially when you're head and shoulders bigger and stronger than many of the players you're matched up against.

Old
05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
No, more a function of being older, bigger and stronger than other kids. I would have expected more given his projected skill set at 15-16.

It is more indicative of his slow development that he went from a potential WJC player in 2008 to a non-invitee in 2009.
It's very hard to judge a player at 16. If we could then Daniel Cleary would have been working on yet another Art Ross Trophy. Pat Faloon wouldn't be selling cars somewhere. Sure he doesn't look like Drew Doughty at this point, but he certainly isn't "flatlining" or regressing. There is development there, progression, even if it isn't what people were hoping for. He's a big kid in an offensive league being asked to be a shutdown defender, as long as his stats improve I'm happy. It's not as though we're talking about a top 10 pick here. Kids develop at different rates.

Shane O'Brien was picked 250th overall and never expected to be much, now he's a serviceable defender. There is no set pace for defencemen to develop, as long as there is progress, you can't really complain.

As far as the WJC goes, two words for you: John Slaney. Perhaps the greatest Team Canada defenceman ever in the WJC. Non-factor at the NHL level. Massive list of successful NHL defencemen that never got a sniff from Team Canada. Doesn't worry me at all.

Old
05-26-2010, 06:50 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Getting bigger, stronger, faster and more experienced should help a player in all 3 zones. Especially when you're head and shoulders bigger and stronger than many of the players you're matched up against.
His team were very good this year, probably in no small part to his play. He might not be an offensive dynamo, but not all defencemen are. According to the guy on here that attends Sea Dogs matches, he is penalised whenever he hits someone partly because he is so much bigger.

He shouldn't need to worry about holding back in the AHL or wherever he ends up next year.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:08 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
I learned that from Mark Crawford when he put Jovo in front of the net on the PP.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Surprised to see Sauve cynicism. I'm on the band wagon and I think he's going to turn out to be a second pairing Brad Stuart clone capable of 40+ points.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Surprised to see Sauve cynicism. I'm on the band wagon and I think he's going to turn out to be a second pairing Brad Stuart clone capable of 40+ points.
You think he'll be one of the best point producers for defensemen in the NHL?

Wouldn't his inability to put up points in Junior be an indicator that he's likely not going to do so in the best league in the world? 20 points sounds like a much more realistic top end offensive potential IMO.

This was a Ron Delorme pick wasn't it?

Old
05-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

Wouldn't his inability to put up points in Junior be an indicator that he's likely not going to do so in the best league in the world? 20 points sounds like a much more realistic top end offensive potential IMO.

Tyler Myers didn't exactly light the world on fire at the junior level and look at him. Besides, the guy did have 15 points in 21 games in the playoffs. I'm very surprised how little excitement there is about Yann.

Seems to me like most posters have zero clue about him.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Tyler Myers didn't exactly light the world on fire at the junior level and look at him. Besides, the guy did have 15 points in 21 games in the playoffs. I'm very surprised how little excitement there is about Yann.

Seems to me like most posters have zero clue about him.
I take it you think people who aren't propping him up to be a future two-way gem are the ones you think 'have zero clue' about him?

How common would you say it is for players to score a lot more at the NHL level than they do in Junior? Is it safe to say for every Tyler Myers there are dozens and dozens of players that fail to replicate their Junior production in the best league in the world.

Yann Sauve has given no indication he'll be a big point producer in the NHL. Expecting otherwise is nothing more than wishful thinking at this point.

Old
05-26-2010, 08:30 PM
tesplen

Sauve needs to improve drastically if he's ever going to play a regular NHL shift. He wasn't even the best d-man on his team in the QMJHL this year, and was largely outplayed at both ends by a couple other d-men 1 or 2 years younger than him. Hopefully he'll improve in Victoria/Winnipeg, but if it happens it's going to take a while.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Quote:

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Tyler Myers didn't exactly light the world on fire at the junior level and look at him.
Myers was arguably the best player in the WHL in the second half and playoffs last year.

That said, people are being a little unfair to Sauve by judging his progression from what was expected of him at 15-16 rather than the expectations when he was actually drafted by the Canucks. By that point, he had slipped from a potential lottery pick to a second-rounder. And for someone taken where he was, his development may not be spectacular but doesn't seem to have gone off the rails. He's still improving; for a real example of flatlining look at Ellington.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
I take it you think people who aren't propping him up to be a future two-way gem are the ones you think 'have zero clue' about him?

How common would you say it is for players to score a lot more at the NHL level than they do in Junior? Is it safe to say for every Tyler Myers there are dozens and dozens of players that fail to replicate their Junior production in the best league in the world.

Yann Sauve has given no indication he'll be a big point producer in the NHL. Expecting otherwise is nothing more than wishful thinking at this point.
He did have close to 30 points 5 on 5. He just didn`t get to play PP much.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Not when refs give you penalties for being bigger. The playoffs were the first time Yann went out there knowing he wouldn`t get penalties and he was arguably the best defenseman in the league the last two rounds.

Old
05-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
He did have close to 30 points 5 on 5. He just didn`t get to play PP much.
To put the puck in the net at the NHL level he'll need an excellent one-timer. You've seen a hell of a lot more of Sauve than I have - would you say he has a hard, accurate one-timer?

Old
05-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
It's very hard to judge a player at 16. If we could then Daniel Cleary would have been working on yet another Art Ross Trophy. Pat Faloon wouldn't be selling cars somewhere. Sure he doesn't look like Drew Doughty at this point, but he certainly isn't "flatlining" or regressing. There is development there, progression, even if it isn't what people were hoping for. He's a big kid in an offensive league being asked to be a shutdown defender, as long as his stats improve I'm happy. It's not as though we're talking about a top 10 pick here. Kids develop at different rates.

Shane O'Brien was picked 250th overall and never expected to be much, now he's a serviceable defender. There is no set pace for defencemen to develop, as long as there is progress, you can't really complain.

As far as the WJC goes, two words for you: John Slaney. Perhaps the greatest Team Canada defenceman ever in the WJC. Non-factor at the NHL level. Massive list of successful NHL defencemen that never got a sniff from Team Canada. Doesn't worry me at all.
SOB has 0 instincts. Anaheim fans were incredulous when Tampa gave a 1st for him, given that he is a bottom pairing d-man at best. Sauve actually has good instincts, but god forbid people listen given that scouts said he had poor instincts. Even if his poor instincts came from Saint John`s defensive system pointing out his biggest weakness (which is now a strength for him)...

Old
05-26-2010, 09:47 PM
HankAndDank

Wow is there ever a lot of pessimism in here. Call me a glass half full kind of guy, but I'm happy that the Canucks have of late been drafting guys that are actually worth signing.

HankAndDank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
To put the puck in the net at the NHL level he'll need an excellent one-timer. You've seen a hell of a lot more of Sauve than I have - would you say he has a hard, accurate one-timer?
Sauve has been working on his shot a lot. He has an incredible shot though. His wrister can easily hit 90 mph and his slapper is in the high 90s. Accuracy can be an issue with his slapper (but that is what he has been working on), though his wrist one timers can be very effective. Keep in mind, his coach last year did nothing to help him get shots through, so he often shot at the guy in front of him; whereas, this year, most of his shots have gotten by the first guy.