HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First hockey clinic tonight

Old
05-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Defgarden

vCash: 500
First hockey clinic tonight

Going to my first hockey clinic tonight!

I've never ever played, just bought some equipment, and am ready to go. I'm not a very good skater, but I'm at least pretty comfortable during open skating sessions.

WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:01 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Have fun!

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:22 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Good Luck

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:01 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

My first hockey was at an open shinny game at canlan scarbourogh ON. I guess a class would have been helpful 2 years ago, but I managed to show improvement over the last 2 years anyway.

I'm taking classes now but I'm there to play net

hope you had fun!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Defgarden

Well, I did have fun, but coming in as an absolute noob out there, hockey is definitely HARD! Here's some of my observations.

1) I hope to god my skates break in soon. I've only used them once before, but my feet were on fire all night, and in a bad way. My right foot went numb, and the bottoms of my feet were in pain all night. I do wear orthodics in my regular shoe (prescription, hard plastic kind), so I may look into getting some if the pain doesn't go away after a month or two.

2) My glasses kept slipping out of place. I think my helmet wasn't on right.

3) My legs are going to be sore as hell tomorrow. That will get better over time I think.

4) I was definitely the slowest, most noob out there, but I did have a lot of fun, and most everyone was really helpful and understanding of my position.

I really hope to keep going, but they're changing the time of the clinics to 9:15, and that may be just too late for me (gotta be up at 5am). We'll see. I'll probably do a lot of public skating since I really really REALLY need to work on my skating. It's hard for me to stop and I can't skate backwards at all.

Overall, besides the pain and frustration, I had a ton of fun out there. I think I'm going to stick with it!

Old
05-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Well, I did have fun, but coming in as an absolute noob out there, hockey is definitely HARD! Here's some of my observations.

1) I hope to god my skates break in soon. I've only used them once before, but my feet were on fire all night, and in a bad way. My right foot went numb, and the bottoms of my feet were in pain all night. I do wear orthodics in my regular shoe (prescription, hard plastic kind), so I may look into getting some if the pain doesn't go away after a month or two.
I wear orthotics in my regular shoes at well. Try taking a look at some yellow superfeet. They have better arch support than normal skate footbeds.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I wear orthotics in my regular shoes at well. Try taking a look at some yellow superfeet. They have better arch support than normal skate footbeds.
+1. It's worth a try, because if you don't like them I think you can take them back.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Razzmatazz

Have those skates been baked? Maybe you can try doing that to get them to better conform, I've had some problems with mine and am going to try that this weekend to see if it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqRt701oZQ

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Defgarden

They've been baked. I'll wait a couple of months to see if the pain subsides before trying any custom orthotics (though I will look at superfeet if the price is reasonable).

Old
05-27-2010, 10:48 AM
trisgale

I was there and remember you. You didn't look to comfortable on the skates, don't worry they will break in and be fine. its a bummer they are only gonna do 9:15 clinic but Don't stop going!!! only ice time will make you get better faster.

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Razzmatazz

I'm dead serious when I say this, as I didn't get a chance to skate and play hockey until my 20s and have first hand experience:

Fall down a lot!

It will make you better in the long run, and speed up your development.

Old
05-27-2010, 12:16 PM
noobman

Quote:

2) My glasses kept slipping out of place. I think my helmet wasn't on right.
Tighten the screws on the arms of the glasses and bend the hooks around your ear to be at a sharper angle.

This will keep the lenses closer to your eye (increased range of vision) and prevent them from falling off as much. Flexons are the best frames to use for playing hockey.

I recently got yellow superfeet insoles myself, and after just one game I've noticed a difference. They're not as good as the custom orthotics in my shoes, but they feel much better than the default Bauer insoles.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
I'm dead serious when I say this, as I didn't get a chance to skate and play hockey until my 20s and have first hand experience:

Fall down a lot!

It will make you better in the long run, and speed up your development.
This is very true.

Don't be afraid to try anything. When you get out of your comfort zone, you get better.

I even started wearing part of my gear to open skates because I wanted to be able to have the confidence to try new maneuvers.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
When you get out of your comfort zone, you get better.
And when you stay in your comfort zone, you don't get better, which I can also attest to.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

My hat is off to you OP. I can not even imagine what it would feel like to get the gear on for the first time as an adult.

Best of luck!

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
My hat is off to you OP. I can not even imagine what it would feel like to get the gear on for the first time as an adult.

Best of luck!
Yeah, it's a challenge alright. I had my first learn to play adult hockey lessons in January. Got a bit freaked out when the teacher skated out, and I knew who it was, and that he has his name on the Stanley Cup. Took a while to get over that intimidation.

But from there, I've been taking any lessons I can get my hands on. Plenty of lessons with figure skating teachers (they help a ton) morning hockey camps, and built my own driving range in my backyard.

It's almost like I was more passionate about it because I didn't grow up with the opportunity to play, so was jumping on the chance later in life very hard.

Hopefully the OP has even half the joy hockey has brought me this past year.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:

Best of luck!
From my experience, it's the best feeling in the world, and just keeps getting better as you improve.

Especially after going to the squirt through H.S. team games for your younger sibling who did get the opportunity to play.

EDIT: Skating is meaningless if there is no hockey...go ahead and take the skating lessons, but make sure you are playing hockey as well. They built a rink near where I lived in Illinois just before I moved to Florida, and I took learn to skate lessons, but they really didn't do anything for me. Having the stick in your hands creates that drive to improve yourself.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:08 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Tighten the screws on the arms of the glasses and bend the hooks around your ear to be at a sharper angle.

This will keep the lenses closer to your eye (increased range of vision) and prevent them from falling off as much. Flexons are the best frames to use for playing hockey.
...or get contact lenses, if at all possible.

Playing hockey with glasses is no fun.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:26 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
From my experience, it's the best feeling in the world, and just keeps getting better as you improve.

Especially after going to the squirt through H.S. team games for your younger sibling who did get the opportunity to play.

EDIT: Skating is meaningless if there is no hockey...go ahead and take the skating lessons, but make sure you are playing hockey as well. They built a rink near where I lived in Illinois just before I moved to Florida, and I took learn to skate lessons, but they really didn't do anything for me. Having the stick in your hands creates that drive to improve yourself.
Thats not necessarily true. Skating is the most important thing in hockey and whenever you can skate you should do it. Say there aren't any pick up games or clinics or lessons within 3 hours of you, but you can still skate at a rink. Not skating would be a dumb thing to do; skate all the time and you will see improvements.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

I started skating with a hockey stick at the age of 3, started in a league at 5, began playing travel at 7 and continued with competitive hockey until I finally said enough at 25. A rough calculation nets me out at around 12,000 hours of ice time over that 18 year period.

I then went 12 years without putting my skates on but I now have a 5 year old who loves hockey and have been skating a bit with him this past year and getting on the ice a few other times as well.

Surprisingly after all of this time there are still so many skills that remain secondary to me on the ice. When I skate I don't think about my stride, it just happens. I can still make a hard turns gathering speed with crossovers, stick handling the biscuit while my mind is focusing on where I am planning to send the puck. I pick my spots in the net and shoot the puck directly to it with out contemplating the mechanics of getting the puck there (how my body needs to be positioned, where the puck needs to be in my stance how I need to hold my stick to get the puck high or low).

To go back to ground zero where every single thing you do takes conscious thought is a huge undertaking.

The best advice I can give is to practice, practice, practice. And when you can't be on the ice take time everyday to visualize the things you have learned so you ingrain them into your reflexes.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Skraut

Quote:
I started skating with a hockey stick at the age of 3, started in a league at 5, began playing travel at 7 and continued with competitive hockey until I finally said enough at 25. A rough calculation nets me out at around 12,000 hours of ice time over that 18 year period.
Yeah, that's the biggest thing. The frustration of all the little things you can't do when you're starting as an adult. I've been walking for 33 years, yet I expect to be able to skate just as well after just a couple hours on the ice. Patience really is key.

Old
05-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:

Best of luck!
Mine too, OP, and that's because I DO know how challenging it is to put on the gear as an adult. I've been playing five years now (I'm 40), so have faith that the development will come. It will probably come in fits and starts, but you will definitely get better, as long as you keep up the skating. Most importantly, have fun with it!

You may also find that you'll have to figure out how to best tie your skates will make a difference for you in how your feet feel. I found that I was tying my skates so tightly that my arches were killing me within 5 minutes of being on the ice. (I remembered hearing how you had to really tie them tightly, not knowing those stories were from the days of the old leather skates.) By experimenting, I found what worked for me and my feet. I don't wear orthotics, but this might make it a little more bearable for you after some trial and error.

I do want to ask though - where are you playing? My brother and I texted back and forth last week about how much he wants to try it out. He's in the high desert, and the ice opportunities are pretty scarce for him.

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
They've been baked. I'll wait a couple of months to see if the pain subsides before trying any custom orthotics (though I will look at superfeet if the price is reasonable).
not all skates are able to bake. Skate size are usually one to one and half sizes smaller than your shoe size unless you have mission skates. As well I have a wide foot EEEE but I have only found EE widths so I have to have the front of the skates widened on a stretcher before I bake mold my skates.

I'm skating on 2 or 3 year old Bauer vapor XXX pro return skates. with skates you really do get what you pay for.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:34 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:

Best of luck!
I was 44 the first time I put on hockey equipment (2 years ago) I had forgot how much I loved hockey and wanted to play as a kid until my son started to play. By far the bet game/sport/exercise I have ever done to date.

Any way I have had great luck and have made some good friends going to stick and puck, and playing shinny. My new hockey friends keep giving me pointers that keeps me moving forward in my skating stick handling, and shooting. I'm not great but in 2 years I have learned how to be a pest and make a point or two during a game. (Just so you know I said point not goal) As far as skating classes go, if you can't skate backwards or sit into a hockey stop it's money well spent. skating should not even be thought about when you are playing hockey, it should be second nature so you can look for people to pass to,find holes to dangle through, finds holes to shoot through, and be able to put the puck where you want it.
With that all said I think I need a class or 2

The 2 big things I work on every time I skate is using my edges week side and week side crossovers.

We (my son and I) don't do public skating anymore unless it's at an outside rink and we always bring hockey gloves, sticks, and helmets just incase we can get a shinny game going.

As for starting out skate on any ice you can as much as you can even if it's not playing hockey there is lots you can work on just skating.

Glad you had fun and hope you keep it up.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisgale View Post
I was there and remember you. You didn't look to comfortable on the skates, don't worry they will break in and be fine. its a bummer they are only gonna do 9:15 clinic but Don't stop going!!! only ice time will make you get better faster.
I will definitely try to keep going. I doubt I can go every week for money and time reasons, but I did enjoy myself besides the obvious pain and frustration. My helmet screws came loose too, which led to vision problems, so I'll fix that as well. I was just really disorganized (and next time I'll bring my jersey haha!)

Thank you guys for all the tips and encouragement. I do plan to stick with this. I'll look into taking some skating classes, and I may just bring my gloves and maybe some pads to public skates so I'm not so worried about falling.

My goal is to get to a point to where my skating is pretty second nature, and I can at least play competitively in a fun setting. It's going to be a slow process, but I'm going to stick with it. Thanks guys.