HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak wants to take time before thinking new contract

Old
05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
81Leafs50

vCash: 500
I'm not trolling I swear!

I get the feeling that Halak and Price are not happy with their situation in Montreal.

IMO, Price will do what Kessel did and choose where he goes. Sure Montreal can match, but i'm guessing at around 2.5 to 3.5 mill that they wont and take the compensation or trade.

Halak is a lot like Sundin. When a player is not sure about where he wants to play he will step away and take time. That to me seems bad.

Gustavsson wanted to play in Toronto and so a contract was hammered out in a week or so.

90% Halak will sign and Price will go but good luck. This could turn out be bad.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Dany Heatley: "I want a trade"

Bryan Murray: "I had to trade him, or else it would be a distraction"

Any questions?
Yes, one: when did the Habs sign Dany Heatley? Could have used him during the ECF.

Quote:
There's been even interviews with gauthier about halak's request.
So... I expect you'll have some kind of direct quote or link to what was said? I'll even take a direct quote that comes close to implying that Halak actually asked for a trade, as opposed to simply some kind of media posturing by a player agent.

Quote:
When i said "nothing to do with internal competition" i meant my point was not about them not wanting to compete for a spot, rather, halak, i'm sure, should feel he earned it, and so should've carey in his rookie year. It's been swinging back and forth and if someone finally beats the other, the other wants out, and if they keep playing this 40 games a piece, why would they want to stay? More games= more opportunity for:better career, better legacy, better contract, etc...
Again, if you can point to this magical greener pasture on a map, I'll gladly discuss the likelyhood of one of them going there. Furthermore, I don't think anyone, including these two guys, feels that anyone "earns" anything on the strength of one season.

Quote:
They are professionals and have taken it well, just saying don't test them forever, they will get fed up. Imagine working hard at work for a promotion, a better salary, a chance to prove your worth, and they never give it to you. Guess what, eventually you may quit and apply elsewhere. We're human, so are they.
Who is saying forever? It might take (max) 2 years to sort out at the longest. What job do you work at that you expect a promotion every year or two indefinitely, and actually threaten to quit if you don't get it? Everyone gets raises, and so will these two guys. But how does "climbing the corporate ladder" even come close to a framework for modeling what we're talking about here?

Quote:
After this, i'll just agree to disagree. It's my opinion that we should keep both, but all I'm saying is, if one asks for a trade, you trade them, you can't force someone who doesn't want to be here, to stay. It will be a distraction, that's all. If they don't ask for a trade or complain, 1 more year at the most.
IF one asks for a trade... aaaand if they're not content with being professional and playing hard in the mean time to prove themselves if it takes a year or two to find the right deal in which the team they're looking to abandon stands to at least gain something from their departure. If you think either is going to pressure/handcuff management into a snap trade that doesn't offer a maximum return, I think you're doing a disservice to both guys' professionalism.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post

I get the feeling that Halak and Price are not happy with their situation in Montreal.

IMO, Price will do what Kessel did and choose where he goes. Sure Montreal can match, but i'm guessing at around 2.5 to 3.5 mill that they wont and take the compensation or trade.

Halak is a lot like Sundin. When a player is not sure about where he wants to play he will step away and take time. That to me seems bad.

Gustavsson wanted to play in Toronto and so a contract was hammered out in a week or so.
90% Halak will sign and Price will go but good luck. This could turn out be bad.
HILARIOUS!!!!

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post

I'm curious, what gives you this impression? Did you wake up and the tooth fairy tell you?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:33 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm curious, what gives you this impression? Did you wake up and the tooth fairy tell you?
you assume he's old enough to have lost his baby teeth.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:47 PM
slimkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
You know...Halak's half a season + playoff run resembles alot of what Carey Price did his rookie year, except Price and the Habs lost in round 2 in 5 games while Halak and the Habs lost in round 3 in 5 games.

What's the lesson to learn here? NEITHER goalie is quite proven yet...It's not out of the question that Halak starts the year next year and struggles and Price plays well and the situations are reversed.

No? Halak faced the Stanley Cup Champions AND the best team in the league, while Price faced the Boston Bruins and the Flyers (and the Canadiens finished 1st in the Eastern Conf. and thus were favorites, while Halak's Habs finished LAST and were ultimate underdogs)

slimkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:51 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
No? Halak faced the Stanley Cup Champions AND the best team in the league, while Price faced the Boston Bruins and the Flyers (and the Canadiens finished 1st in the Eastern Conf. and thus were favorites, while Halak's Habs finished LAST and were ultimate underdogs)
The team this year underachived in the regular season(injuries,wtv) while in 2008 they overachived.

IMO the team this year>>>>>>2008

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:56 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
The team this year underachived in the regular season(injuries,wtv) while in 2008 they overachived.

IMO the team this year>>>>>>2008
The Habs this year should have been a top 4 team in the East. We had so many injuries with Markov, Gionta, Cammarelli, Gomez, AK and so on. If we had a healthy line up for he majority of the season we wouldn't have been struggling to get in, we would have been battling for the Northeast and possibly 3rd.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Halak BGL Hammer S Kost to Toronto

For Kessel, Phanuef, Orr

We get speed, dirtiness, and KO punching power

googlymoogly,

Dude,

I like your line of thinking, but..........do you really think Burke (IMHO, one of the smartest GMs in the business) would take that trade? I think the Leafs are happy with their current goaltenders.

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
The Habs this year should have been a top 4 team in the East. We had so many injuries with Markov, Gionta, Cammarelli, Gomez, AK and so on. If we had a healthy line up for he majority of the season we wouldn't have been struggling to get in, we would have been battling for the Northeast and possibly 3rd.
What teams could not make similar statements regarding their own injuries?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:02 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Halak never asked for a trade, and you'll fail to produce anything beyond pure speculation as to the intentions of his agent for saying what he did, and/or the actual words/tones used if any direct talks did result from it between them and management.
Are you still pretending that a request to check trade possibilities did not happen?

Let's turn this around. You tell us exactly what Walsh was doing in December?

Agents just unilaterally decide when a where a player will go? Or do they just pretend so that . . . . what?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Passchendaele

Taking Price over Halak would be like taking Lecavalier over St. Louis.

On one side, you've got a hard-worker busting his ass every night, on the other you've got lots of talent and potential but laziness.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Are you still pretending that a request to check trade possibilities did not happen?

Let's turn this around. You tell us exactly what Walsh was doing in December?

Agents just unilaterally decide when a where a player will go? Or do they just pretend so that . . . . what?
I'm not pretending anything. Actually asking for a trade, and hinting that a client approaching free agency might have to examine his options are two different beasts altogether, and thus far have only been linked through conjecture.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
If Price has a rough start next season, and Halak is tearing it up elsewhere in the NHL, how the hell do you think the fans willreact to this? They will never forgive Price.

I know you'll all come back and say: "**** the Bell Centre crowd!" or "Just get them out!" or "Who cares?!"... This is not the way it works. We'll end up with our hands empty, once again, and we'll have let both goalies go in the end.

The Bell Centre crowd already is on Price's back, it just will get even worst if Halak gets traded.

No matter what happens, there's a huge risk to be taken by Gauthier next summer. But reading Walsh's and Halak's comments, I don't think keeping both is an option anymore.
I know I am late in answering your post, but....

Yes, who cares what the crowd says. What is the alternative, let the crowd become the GM? We did that before with the media in the pre-Gainey years, how well did that go?

I know that a Pro hockey team is part sporting team, part public attraction, but doing whatever the "easily manipulated by the media" public cry out for is a recipe for disaster.

Sometimes, you just have to do what you believe is right and stick to your guns. If that gets you fired, well, at least it is because of what you did, not because you had no backbone and you changed direction every time the wind blew.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
If Price has a rough start next season, and Halak is tearing it up elsewhere in the NHL, how the hell do you think the fans willreact to this? They will never forgive Price.

I know you'll all come back and say: "**** the Bell Centre crowd!" or "Just get them out!" or "Who cares?!"... This is not the way it works. We'll end up with our hands empty, once again, and we'll have let both goalies go in the end.

The Bell Centre crowd already is on Price's back, it just will get even worst if Halak gets traded.

No matter what happens, there's a huge risk to be taken by Gauthier next summer. But reading Walsh's and Halak's comments, I don't think keeping both is an option anymore.

You don't get it. This works both ways.
If Price is traded (god forbid) and he flourishes elsewhere and Halak struggles as the new #1 next season or shows he was simply a one-year wonder, Halak will also be thrown under the bus and run out of town. A new goalie controversy will start. The media and Cedrick Desjardins (French-Canadian goalie!) will make Halak's life a living nightmare because Halak will no longer be seen as the "underdog", he will be seen as the "villain".

In other words: IT NEVER ENDS. Unless Halak (or Price) can perform a Vezina-quality performance every year, they will get torn to shreds by the media/fans. They have to have thick skin, character and self-confidence to overcome it. And the team defense in front of them is quite brutal....but in Montreal, the goalie is always the first to blame. Whichever goalie stays is going to have to live with it and realize they will be scrutinized to death for the rest of their careers. There's NO HIDING from anyone in this city. I'm sure they themselves/their agents are aware of it and understand the market.

I think the biggest thing that both Price/Halak have to realize is that even if the other one is traded, there's always someone else trying to take your job. If Cedrick Desjardins comes up and has a good stretch of games, it will only get worse for Halak/Price. Trust me on that. I'm not sure if Jaro's idiotic agent, Allan Walsh, realizes that the organization has another young, promising goaltender (Desjardins) in the fold since Walsh is so concerned with removing Price (thus, any international competition) from the picture. Desjardins must keep him shaking in his boots then, lol.

Last edited by eightyseven: 05-27-2010 at 01:15 PM.
eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:26 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Taking Price over Halak would be like taking Lecavalier over St. Louis.

On one side, you've got a hard-worker busting his ass every night, on the other you've got lots of talent and potential but laziness.
To be fair, I think Price learned the lesson of hard work. And if he stays here in Montreal in the long-term, I doubt he will continue to be lazy since he will be scrutinized for the rest of his career here. The media/fans can be very self-motivating.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
There is no compensation for Price. No such thing as an offer sheet.
He had a standard contract for a top-5 but now, we can sign him for 1M.

Halak on the other hand can receive an offer sheet.
That is why Halak will get > 2M and Price barely 1M.
Actually, you are in practice precisely wrong.

I assume that Habs management will do things properly and give both goalies their qualifying offers. I would say that it is safe to assume that neither goalie will accept that (both have Qualifying Offer around 1 million) and the parties start to negotiate.

If Halak or Price is unsigned come July 1st, both are Restricted Free Agents and as such can be subject to offer sheets. If any or both of them sign an offer sheet, Habs will have 7 days time to either accept the offer or take the applicable compensation.

The compensation levels are based on average player salary of the previous season, in other words not cap per se, and I would assume that they would increase slightly from previous year because many teams were operating close to cap ceiling last season and the highly frontloaded contracts increase salary compared to cap hit during first few years and last season had plenty of those (Zetterberg, Franzen, Hossa, Lecavalier) while teams used them to ice rosters with average salary well over cap upper limit. The actual compensation range will be published about same time as new cap (around draft).

However, unlike Price, Halak is eligible for arbitration. The interesting factor is that a player subject to pending arbitration hearing can not be subject to offer sheets and deadline for team initiated arbitration is before July 1st (if my memory serves me right, it is 48 hours after June 15th or the end of last Final game, whichever is latest). Therefore Habs could take Halak to arbitration and thereby prevent any offer sheet towards him. Also, please note that team and player can agree on new deal after team has taken the player to arbitration, all the way until the arbitration hearing, which is typically arranged in mid to late July. "Take player to arbitration in order to prevent offer sheets and sign him before hearing" is the tactic Penguins used with Fleury (successfully or unsuccessfully, you decide).

Price on the other hand is not yet eligible for arbitration, since he is just coming from his ELC. He could therefore be subject to offer sheet and there is nothing Habs could do about it but sign him before July 1st.

-------------

About Halak's arbitration: since he would become UFA after next season, his arbitration award would be automatically one year contract.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:17 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
For what its worth ..

Eklund predicts that Halak will get his contract and that Price will be traded to NJ.
Doenst that essentially mean that Price will stay and Halak will head to a struggling franchise in the west without a goalie?

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Crystal Met

well keep both of our goalies, unles we got some crazy offer.

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote