HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2010, 07:07 PM
NHLcrazy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
The feeling is mutual .
lol Italy has lots of very talented players and are the world champions and I know diving is part of football but the Italians bring this aspect to a whole new level! you can't disagree with that...

Old
05-26-2010, 07:13 PM
guest1467

Forza Italia.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
lol Italy has lots of very talented players and are the world champions and I know diving is part of football but the Italians bring this aspect to a whole new level! you can't disagree with that...
It's pretty tough though, between them and the Portuguese.

Worst part is, I'm 5 minutes away by walk from Little Italy AND Little Portugal. Any time either team wins, there's a parade and all I hear is loud cars and arrogant Italians/Portuguese.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
It's pretty tough though, between them and the Portuguese.
Wait, wha....? The Portuguese dive?! Thankfully Reuters website has a 'contact us' page. You should let them know so they can break this news to an unsuspecting world.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Wait, wha....? The Portuguese dive?! Thankfully Reuters website has a 'contact us' page. You should let them know so they can break this news to an unsuspecting world.
Oh that's right, wasn't there a particular English sports news cast that had a special on the Portuguese and their diving? I remember them going into specifics about his head-bob motion, whilst in mid-air.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:30 PM
ccgg

ALLEZ LES BLEUS !!!

Old
05-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Oh that's right, wasn't there a particular English sports news cast that had a special on the Portuguese and their diving? I remember them going into specifics about his head-bob motion, whilst in mid-air.
I can't recall a specific news report, but I remember that after we got knocked out of a few recent tournaments, there was a lot of discussion that we shouldn't try to play the game so fairly, that we should try and con the officials more as that is what a lot of teams do. We do it a little bit (or almost never if Gerrard isn't playing ) but I'd hope we never resort to such tactics (and with Capello in charge, it seems highly unlikely). I don't know if people from other nations find this to be the case with their team/nation, but in a similar way that Canadians take pride in their hockey teams/players playing the game the 'right' way, the English are the same about football. Just because some people resort to cheap tactics to try and gain an advantage, it doesn't mean that this is how the game should be played.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:56 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Changed my avatar for the tournament.

Yep. Still, go Portugal

Old
05-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Changed my avatar for the tournament.

Yep. Still, go Portugal
What do you make of the group they are in? Feeling confident/nervous/anything else about your chances of making it through the group stage? Can't say I know a lot about N. Korea as a team but Ivory Coast may cause some problems for Brazil and Portugal. I'm looking forward to seeing how that group unfolds.

Old
05-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
I can't recall a specific news report, but I remember that after we got knocked out of a few recent tournaments, there was a lot of discussion that we shouldn't try to play the game so fairly, that we should try and con the officials more as that is what a lot of teams do. We do it a little bit (or almost never if Gerrard isn't playing ) but I'd hope we never resort to such tactics (and with Capello in charge, it seems highly unlikely). I don't know if people from other nations find this to be the case with their team/nation, but in a similar way that Canadians take pride in their hockey teams/players playing the game the 'right' way, the English are the same about football. Just because some people resort to cheap tactics to try and gain an advantage, it doesn't mean that this is how the game should be played.
That's what the game has become, at least for some teams. Con the referees into believing something and get the calls to turn momentum. And if you don't get your way? Put your arms in the air, scream at the referees and cry.

It's why I'm so proud of the German soccer club. They don't dive, they play hard, they play gritty and they are in it to win fairly. The English play that style too, which is why I enjoy watching them play. Spain plays with a lot of heart and passion and I don't see diving from their part too much.

Old
05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templeton View Post
Mannschaft !

One of the youngest team of the tournament. They have good prospects in Kroos, Özil, Badstuber and Müller. They will get experience and it's looking good for 2014.

Usually they are able to make a good run in the tournament due to their collective game but the loss of Ballack can hurt this young team.

Good tournament to you all!

If you are interested, they put nice pictures of the stadiums in South Africa on the FIFA site :
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/
1.Ghana
2.Serbia
3.Germany
4.Australia

Old
05-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Gio View Post
1.Ghana
2.Serbia
3.Germany
4.Australia
I laughed.

Old
05-26-2010, 08:24 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
What do you make of the group they are in? Feeling confident/nervous/anything else about your chances of making it through the group stage? Can't say I know a lot about N. Korea as a team but Ivory Coast may cause some problems for Brazil and Portugal. I'm looking forward to seeing how that group unfolds.
I really don't know what to think about it. If the Portuguese play to their potential and have a healthy Pepe back in the D they could get out of the group. However they did draw 0-0 against Cape Verde on Monday. They are and have been inconsistent so it's difficult to grade the team.

The key might be the latest Portuguese Liedson; he's been very good with Sporting in the Portuguese league and is the striker that Portugal needed back in '08. Obviously Cristiano Ronaldo will be the offensive weapon but he usually sucks in these tourneys, I hope Nani will be able support him in this aspect.

All in all, we'll see what game they will bring into South Africa when the tournament will start.

Old
05-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Galchenyuk94

Not a huge soccer fan, but my dad was a huge England fan, and on my moms side they like France.

Netherlands and Germany were my two favorite countries by a huge margin during my eurotrip.

So go all of those four! Plus they're all in diff. groups.

Old
05-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

La Roja is going to win it .... Book it!

Old
05-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Even though Domenech is an idiot.
Domenech an idiot?

Without Valbuena, they would've end the game as a 1-1 draw against friggin Costa Rica earlier today...

Maybe take Benzema (had a bad season with Real) over Govou, but I don't like Benzema for his bad attitude.

He was the one who discovered André-Pierre Gignac and he was their top goal scorer (along with Henry) in the qualifications. He's a warrior, just like Valbuena.

You could argue that Viera could've been picked, but I prefer Toulalan, Lassana Diara (injured ;() or even Diaby (who made a great play today for the Valbuena goal) over him.

Nasri could have been there, but he would've never played. Gourcuff is their general in the middle and plays all 90 minutes most of the time. He's still really young (like Benzema) and inexperienced.

Remember, it's not about making an all-star club. It's about forming a team.

Henry - Gignac

Gourcuff
Malouda - Ribery
Toulalan

Evra - Abidal - Gallas - Sagna

Lioris

Old
05-26-2010, 08:42 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I really don't know what to think about it. If the Portuguese play to their potential and have a healthy Pepe back in the D they could get out of the group. However they did draw 0-0 against Cape Verde on Monday. They are and have been inconsistent so it's difficult to grade the team.

The key might be the latest Portuguese Liedson; he's been very good with Sporting in the Portuguese league and is the striker that Portugal needed back in '08. Obviously Cristiano Ronaldo will be the offensive weapon but he usually sucks in these tourneys, I hope Nani will be able support him in this aspect.

All in all, we'll see what game they will bring into South Africa when the tournament will start.
I'm scared

Old
05-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
I laughed.
I will be laughing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Forza Italia.
Iaquinta is a stud. Italy is always stacked!

I still hate them though...

Old
05-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Oranje!!!!!!

Old
05-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Forza Italia,campioni del mondo

If Italy doesn't repeat,Argentina or Spain for me

Anyone but Brazil or (France who shouldn't even be there)

Old
05-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Gio View Post
1.Ghana
2.Serbia
3.Germany
4.Australia
Germany is solid. Serbia could be a big darkhorse, but so can Ghana. Australia is decent too. Group D will be pretty interesting. I also think this group is tougher than Group G.

Old
05-26-2010, 08:57 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Força Portugal

Old
05-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Oranje!!!!!!
Nice to see a fan of the Ivory Coast here. Good luck this year

Old
05-26-2010, 09:01 PM
VanNistelrooy

Hup Oranje, Hup!!

Old
05-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Mess View Post
Germany is solid. Serbia could be a big darkhorse, but so can Ghana. Australia is decent too. Group D will be pretty interesting. I also think this group is tougher than Group G.
Group of death IMO

Closed Thread