HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you take a chance on...Tanguay?

Old
05-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Why does everyone hate him? He did really well during his short stint here. I thought he was one of our most talented forwards.

I wouldn't bring him back simply because we have too many playmakers. We need goal scorers. Period.
Probably because he shied away from paying the price to make a play no matter how critical the timing was. I remember several times when we had the goalie pulled and this overpaid softie would shy away from the corners and not even try to win the battles for the puck.

Also probably because the team doctor gave him medical clearance to play in a do or die playoff game but he still wouldn't play.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:24 PM
parachutist

Too soft.

But I wouldn't mind having Higgins back though.... as a 3rd liner who can play top 6 when needed

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

not this bum.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
Too soft.

But I wouldn't mind having Higgins back though.... as a 3rd liner who can play top 6 when needed
yes but I'm affraid he'd take too much space in the dressing room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Also probably because the team doctor gave him medical clearance to play in a do or die playoff game but he still wouldn't play.
Where ya heard that, Schooner Guy?

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

It was common knowledge. Tanguay flaked out on us. Why do you think Gainey just let him go without even an offer?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:29 PM
shutehinside

Really, tanguay? Come in man you've got to be kidding me.

He's the softest, little hearted player in the NHL. I'd be surprised to see him playing in the NHL next year much less on a team that prides itself on team play and determination.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Stradale

At first I was **** NO!

And then I thought if we could sign him at 1M$. He could help our top 6 or PP from time to time.

Pouliot-Lapierre-Tanguay

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Habsfan18

Probably the softest player I have ever watched play for the Habs.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

Last year's meltdown must have been so hard on you that you didn't follow the aftermath....I can't say I blame you.

The team doctor left it up to Tanguay on whether to play Game 4 with that sore shoulder....Tanguay wouldn't play. His next contract was his highest priority and even that blew up in his face thanks to his softiness.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Captain Saku

not even for free

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Mike8

It's a decent thought. He's a good player. The only reason I'd be weary is due to what transpired around the playoffs. With that in mind, perspective is important: the team as a whole had imploded.

Further, as much as I'd like hockey players to give it their all for the team, sacrificing their bodies and all, that doesn't always make the most sense. For an impending UFA with no ties to the team and no belief that they will offer you a contract, risking major injury is a tall order.

I don't know. I think I'd want to know what exactly transpired that season in the lockerroom. If coaching and management consensus believed Tanguay lacked the willingness to compete, then I'd pass. I wouldn't want to risk the team cohesiveness that developed amongst the core group. That's the beauty of having a core signed long term: they have to commit to each other. Bringing mercenaries in to that cohesion would result in nothing good.

The reason I'd consider Tanguay, however, is that he's a very good and smart player. He'd fit exceedingly well with Gomez-Gionta. Sure, he's not a gritty battler, but he'd make smart plays and buy linemates time with his intelligence and positioning. Montreal cannot be a physical team with its core, so I maintain that playing to a 'smart, shifty, quick' style of game (ie. playing to one's strength) is preferable. Tanguay would support this.

I'd probably want a multi-year deal on the $2-2.5m range, though.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

He may pull an Afinogenov, so if we do trade a guy like AK in the offseason, it would make sense to try to get a bargain.

But I'm really not a big fan. He could be sponsored by Cottonelle...''Cottonelle, as soft as my game''.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Ginu

What are his playoff stats like?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:52 PM

Not even if signing him gave us 2 millions of cap space.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Stradale

No doubt he is soft but i think you guys should think about it if we could sign him under 1.3M$. That's a 3rd/4th line salary. Even if he is soft, i think he could still put up 40-50 pts in a season. He would be a depth player, if there's any injury in top 6, he could help.

I hate him but if we sign him with the idea to put him on the bottom 6/depth player, i don't mind it much.

Cammalleri-Center-Tanguay could be a decent 2nd line too.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
What are his playoff stats like?
Not great on the surface. Then when you consider his rookie playoffs were miserable (3 pts in 17 games), and if you discount that, then it's 56 points in 81 games. That's a 69 ppg average -- compared to a regular season 83 ppg average. Even when you factor in the lower scoring in the post-season, that's a greater than average drop-off in ppg. Also, Tanguay's been underwhelming in every post-season other than one, where he scored 21 points in 23 games.

Clearly, he's not a core player. And he's not to be relied upon. But this is sort of the point: he's a skillful complementary player who can put up points. Even if he underwhelms in the playoffs, he's still a talented player that can move the puck well through the neutral zone and open up lanes. That's something that neither Pouliot nor Kostitsyn were capable of doing. For $2mish, it'd be valuable to have a player like that. And filling a top-6 role for $2mish is a good deal.

It all hinges on what actually took place behind closed doors with Tanguay that year.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

If he'd sign for around 1.5 mil sure.

At the very least he's a decent 3rd liner + PP presence.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
neofury*

The guy couldn't produce with Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier, but he's going to produce with Cammy, Gionta, Gomez, right? Come on. We don't need more playmakers, we need another Cammy but who has size.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
If he'd sign for around 1.5 mil sure.

At the very least he's a decent 3rd liner + PP presence.
We need physical presence and grit from the bottom 6, not soft guys with skill that will disapear in physical games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

We have snipers, we have playmakers, now what we need are players who drives the net, works the corners and create space, most preferably with size, while still being able to keep up with skilled players... not a selfish, heartless, softie playmaker...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

He's so sofffffff

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Capitano

He's soft, but I would take him simply because he'll come cheap and has some offensive potential.

I think Tanguay doesn't like the pressure of having to put up points though...every time I hear him interviewed or read his quotes, it's quite clear to me that he doesn't want to be considered a core offensive player. Considering the guys we already have, he might actually thrive.

Considering we're close to the cap, it actually might be a decent move. His shoulder has had a year to get better too.

Anyway, it's a pretty low risk with a potentially good reward if we can get him on the cheap.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
After watching him play last year I would say F no,after watching Kostitsyn play I'm like wouldn't mind Tanguay for 2 million or less

Tanguay-Gomez-Gionta wouldn't be that bad of a line.Not sure Alex enjoyed it here last year for him to come back

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Bullsmith

NEVER AGAIN! We already gave up a first and a second so we could pay him 5 million dollars to float and pull himself out of the lineup. Bringing him back for cheap isn't a bargain, it's history repeating itself first as tragedy and then as satire.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Lucius

I would give Tanguay a considered maybe.

Tha's contingent on a few things:

1) He signs for 750k or less on a one year deal.

2) We trade the Kostitsyn brothers or otherwise acquire a top 6 winger with size.

Then we'd have:

Big Winger - Plekky - Cammy
Tanguay/Pouliot - Gomez -Gionta

I think it would be healthy to assemble a nice roadblock for Pouliot, and whoever else wants to play in our top six.

No risk. If he fails, one of the kids gets his spot and we have spent virtually no money.

If he succeeds, we have a bargain.

I'd rather have had him in the top 6 against the Flyers than Pouliot or Moen, just sayin'

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote