HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi "Not Optimistic" on Frolov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2010, 09:41 PM
  #26
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Bingo. No one goes to the KHL because it's the best league in the world. If playing in the best league in the world isn't the primary motivation... good riddance.
I agree. But this is where Frolov becomes very interesting.

Does he seem like competition is the most important thing to him? Considering his up and down effort level, I'd say no.

Does money seem like the most important thing to him? He took a discount once to stay here. He seems to value lifestyle and location.

Frolov is an enigma all the way around, not just his play on the ice.

I feel like he will sign with the Red Wings or Minnesota.

The Wings because he would fit in well. Minnesota because I could see them giving him a big old chunk of change and let him play on the top line.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:09 PM
  #27
driller1
Dry Island Reject
 
driller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
So would we like to keep him? Yes. But if the price is prohibitive, and maybe would prevent us from filling other holes and making sure we keep Doughty and Johnson and all these kids coming through, then you have to walk away. I think you’re probably right on Fro. He’s a good player. I guess at times, like you say, you think he’s capable of more, but he’s still a productive player. But you still now have to really be astute in how you attach a price tag to that, or you’re going to get yourself in trouble down the road, and then all this building we’ve done makes no sense if we can’t keep these young players that have come through our system. So I’m not too optimistic, given what he’s looking for.
I really don't see why people on this board think Lombardi put his foot in his mouth. I've read this interview 3 times now. You can insert any player in for Fro, and it would still apply. I don't think we should blame Lombardi for NOT being more like the Rangers GM, where money is no object for marginal players. Clearly, the Kings and Fro are far apart. That's an honest answer to the question. It's not like he told exactly what the Kings were offering or what Fro was demanding. I'd bet if you asked Fro's agent, he'd also say they were far apart. No big deal IMO.


Last edited by driller1: 05-26-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo
driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:13 PM
  #28
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I feel like he will sign with the Red Wings or Minnesota.

The Wings because he would fit in well. Minnesota because I could see them giving him a big old chunk of change and let him play on the top line.
It all depends on how much he signs for if he stays in the NHL. If it's "too much", then people will be happy Dean let him walk. If it's not, then they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
I really don't see why people on this board think Lombardi put his foot in his mouth.
That's because he didn't say anything that would hurt this negotiation at all.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:26 PM
  #29
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
This one goes right into the DL shouldn't be allowed to speak to the media pile for me.

First he starts the season by bad mouthing Fro ruining any value that he might have had on the trade market. Then he moves him into a defence first position (which Frolov excelled at). Finally, he ruins any trade value the rights to Frolov might have had before the draft.

DL can draft with the best of them and has done a good job at finding talented players that other teams have over looked at times but he should simply never, not ever ever ever ever ever (ever ever?) be allowed to speak to the media.

What a stupid thing to do with a player that hasn't said or done anything to hurt the team.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder if DL shouldn't have remained one of the greatest scouts of all time.
When did the rights to anyone really mean anything?

It happens 1 in 100 FAs...I know Buowmeester went...but that contract was pretty much in place before the trade.


Last edited by DeeMeck: 05-26-2010 at 10:36 PM.
DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:59 PM
  #30
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Here is my take on it boys: http://lakingsnews.com/2010/05/26/fr...preview-sasha/

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:04 PM
  #31
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,506
vCash: 500
Here it comes, the DL kool-aid drinkers are already starting to trash Frolov, now he is greedy because he won't accept DL's probable lowball offer, where have we seen this before?

Lets not forget, Frolov signed a pretty damn fair deal a couple of years back, has never once complained or whined to the media despite being dicked around quite a bit by this coach the past couple of years.

His talents obviously didn't gel in this system, but there is absolutely zero reason to trash him, or call him greedy when no one has any idea how bad the contract offer could have been.

I personally wish Frolov all the best, I assume his cap hit will be replaced by another DL player, like Smyth, Williams, Stoll or Jones.

Goodluck Fro!

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
  #32
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,869
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I want Frolov to stay, but I can understand him being let go.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:15 PM
  #33
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Bingo. No one goes to the KHL because it's the best league in the world. If playing in the best league in the world isn't the primary motivation... good riddance.
I think you're missing a major motivation - the KHL is in his homeland. If Frolov can make similar money to what he makes here, but be able to socialize with his friends and family in a culture that he was raised in and is probably most comfortable in, I can't see why he would turn it down.

Re: playing in the best league in the world - I wonder how many of us would pick up and leave our comfort zone for the chance to play in the best league in the world, especially if that league was in Uganda or Saudi Arabia or Pakistan....

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:16 PM
  #34
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
He let Froloaf go because he's gonna sign another Russian LW. I hope.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:20 PM
  #35
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
It all depends on how much he signs for if he stays in the NHL. If it's "too much", then people will be happy Dean let him walk. If it's not, then they won't.



That's because he didn't say anything that would hurt this negotiation at all.
It doesn't really hurt negotiations but it just doesn't need to be said. It's strictly self serving.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:45 PM
  #36
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
first take, atleast Dean is being honest with fans but it will suck not havin Fro here.

and as usual many things start going through my head:

- don't think D.L or T.M were ever fans of Frolov
- does D.L think we have a shot at an upgrade (Kovalchuk)
- why does Frolov think he deserves more then he made last year
- are we geting away from the stupid board play and actually shoot at the net
- I will miss Frolov
- I won't miss Frolov

Any other player on the team I either want, or don't want! With Frolov its different, he is such an enigma he may put up 85 points a year in the roper system or he may continue regressing.

No matter what appens, Thanks for nearly a decade of loyalty, sacrifice, and giving us high hopes.


Last edited by funky: 05-26-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: shatty spelling
funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:45 PM
  #37
backhander
Registered User
 
backhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
use the money for a bigger signing

see ya Fro

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:48 PM
  #38
VictoryRose
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
There's so much BS in this thread, not sure where to start.

Fro has never taken a "hometown discount." So he doesn't have a history of it. His last deal was a decent one for both sides, but he was an RFA. He didn't take a hometown discount, he actually held out for a longer deal during negotiations. He wanted to be paid more and have more stability, probably due to some things that were going on in his personal life that don't merit discussion here. That last part was fact, this next part is about 30% speculation; he thought the deal he'd sign at age 28 would be his life-tract. It might be, but won't be as big as he hoped or where he had hoped.

I know the fans love Fro and his sheepish grin, but let's face it, he isn't nearly the player a lot of people make him out to be. Yes, he's had a couple of good seasons. The fact is he is now averaging about .70ppg over his career. He has never once been a ppg player. You can talk to me until your blue in the friggin face about all his "intangibles" his puck possession, defense, etc. If he isn't scoring, it's an indication his head isn't in the game. If he isn't scoring, he isn't doing those other things that make him an effective player either. The two teams that made the Stanley Cup Finals once again did it with guys with heart, drive, desire, passion, fire, whatever overused sports adjective you want to stamp on it. Fro's got none of that.

Fro's got one good thing going for him, and that's that no one plays a game quite like his in North America.

Fro's got a very bad thing going for him, and that's that no one plays a game quite like his in North America.

Thanks for your service, but it's a new era and at anything more than 2.75 per year (which the entire world knows you wont take) you arent part of it.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:49 PM
  #39
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
see ya Fro
I'll probably remember Fro by this picture.

I'll miss the guy. Yeah, he was inconsistent - both in effort and production - but he's not a good fit for the current system and he certainly doesn't seem to be a favorite of Murray or Lombardi. I would still like Frolov to stay but anything more than $3 million/year isn't worth it at this point, not unless someone else like Stoll/Williams was dumped, given Fro's production in Murray's system.

I think he's going to Detroit and he'll be very successful there in helping to replace Holmstrom/Bertuzzi in their Top 9. If not Detroit, I'd look for the Rangers to make a play on him.

All the best to Fro.

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:50 PM
  #40
VictoryRose
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I think you're missing a major motivation - the KHL is in his homeland. If Frolov can make similar money to what he makes here, but be able to socialize with his friends and family in a culture that he was raised in and is probably most comfortable in, I can't see why he would turn it down.
Fro laid some pretty significant personal roots the moment he arrived in LA.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:52 PM
  #41
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
When did the rights to anyone really mean anything?

It happens 1 in 100 FAs...I know Buowmeester went...but that contract was pretty much in place before the trade.
They always mean something, even if at best they were a throw in on another deal, they at least had some perceived value until DL threw them away.

I also wonder if DL knows something more than we do regarding the possibility of an actual deal with the KHL. I would think that he does but other than a bunch of wind from the KHL as far as I know there hasn't been anything else reported.

The thing that burns me is that at some point, I think before this past season started, DL decided for whatever reasons that Frolov wasn't going to be a part of his teams long term plans.

That is fine with me as it is his team but to take a valuable asset and first talk a bunch of garbage about him (and allowing your coach to do the same driving down his value even further) and then try and prove him to be a player who's numbers are falling off by yanking him around and moving him from a top six role into a defencive position, which he excelled at and then to talk poorly of him while he still has some potential value is stupid to me.

Its not DL's first mistake and it won't likely be his last but this one is just stupid and really didn't need to happen like a few of his other major blunders.

I like DL and am happy that he is our GM, he is amazing at the draft table and has a knack for finding overlooked talent but he makes some dumb mistakes when it comes to player management at times.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:52 PM
  #42
VictoryRose
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
By the way for all the armchairs complaining about the way Dean has been talking to the media...has there been a single deal that he's discussed publicly that hasn't worked out in the best interest of the Kings? The man's got a method. If this season and the present payroll status is any indication, he should be allowed to work that method.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:54 PM
  #43
VictoryRose
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
but he makes some dumb mistakes when it comes to player management at times.
He's not going to overpay or more importantly over commit to a player with a track record of disappearing for weeks on end that hasn't ever hit the ppg mark and wants a significant raise.

Yeah. Sounds like a dumb mistake. Are you a fan of Fro or the Los Angeles Kings?

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:01 AM
  #44
Omni Owl
Registered User
 
Omni Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 500
He's reached a new pinnacle with his addiction to clothes.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:02 AM
  #45
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
Fro laid some pretty significant personal roots the moment he arrived in LA.
He laid a few seeds as well...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:04 AM
  #46
driller1
Dry Island Reject
 
driller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
It doesn't really hurt negotiations but it just doesn't need to be said. It's strictly self serving.
How are his comments self serving? I found them to be generic. I bet all 30 GMs would say the same thing about any FA that isn't signed. "I like Player X. He is a good player. However, in the salary cap era, we cannot afford to overpay, otherwise it impacts the rest of the team. We are far apart on negotiations with Player X."
Boring...

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:24 AM
  #47
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
He's not going to overpay or more importantly over commit to a player with a track record of disappearing for weeks on end that hasn't ever hit the ppg mark and wants a significant raise.

Yeah. Sounds like a dumb mistake. Are you a fan of Fro or the Los Angeles Kings?
I didn't say anything about what he should or shouldn't pay for Frolov, so your point is useless.

My point is that he the way he handled Frolov was stupid from the start of this past season on until today.

Here is a quote for you and your question is so truly ignorant that I wouldn't ever answer it, why bother.

What I actually said "The thing that burns me is that at some point, I think before this past season started, DL decided for whatever reasons that Frolov wasn't going to be a part of his teams long term plans. That is fine with me as it is his team."

Wether Frolov stayed on the team or not has nothing to do with the point of my post, my post was a response as to the perceived value of Frolov as an asset and how I think DL shot himself in the tail by first talking trash about him, then moving him to a position that he had no experience with and finally by talking down his value now.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:30 AM
  #48
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
There's so much BS in this thread, not sure where to start.

Fro has never taken a "hometown discount." So he doesn't have a history of it. .
Yeah he did. Taylor even commended Fro using those exact words. It's been discussed a million times here over the last 4 years. If you say otherwise then it's just your opinion. One that's not supported by the kings.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:32 AM
  #49
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
The only mistake DL made with Frolov was not trading him last season.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:37 AM
  #50
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
By the way for all the armchairs complaining about the way Dean has been talking to the media...has there been a single deal that he's discussed publicly that hasn't worked out in the best interest of the Kings? The man's got a method. If this season and the present payroll status is any indication, he should be allowed to work that method.
What method is that? Please tell me how it helps. Has it helped him win anything? Please tell me one positive thing that has come out of him opening his mouth? Just google his name and the top results are media outlets are him saying something he shouldn't. His wiki page discusses his bad dealings with players.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.