HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi "Not Optimistic" on Frolov

Old
05-27-2010, 12:42 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Well, for all the futons saying that Dean has a method, is that the same method that signed Cloutier, McCauley etc? Is it the same method that saw Squid go along with a first round pick for Tuebert?

The guys an excellent GM but to imply that he is beyond criticism is silly.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:43 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
How are his comments self serving? I found them to be generic. I bet all 30 GMs would say the same thing about any FA that isn't signed. "I like Player X. He is a good player. However, in the salary cap era, we cannot afford to overpay, otherwise it impacts the rest of the team. We are far apart on negotiations with Player X."
Boring...
It's just typical. Every time a player doesn't sign for what he considers to be a good deal he covers his ass and in one way or another portarys the player as greedy. Often times he does so after being quoted as saying the exact opposite in the past. His interaction with the fans are littered with double speak. This one doesn't bother me as much but I've seen this pattern before.

There is a reason why management is often classified as boring. You don't need a gunslinger.

no name is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:51 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

will this be Cammy ver. 2? Painting a player greedy so he won't get any blame from people when the player leaves? I guess we'll find out July 1st.
If he doesn't get signed here, good bye Fro. Hope you find a team that can appreciate your talent.

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:53 AM
sweatypickle

Lombardi direct stated last summer they were looking at Fro like a rental... why this is still surprising is... well surprising...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:58 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Well, for all the futons saying that Dean has a method, is that the same method that signed Cloutier, McCauley etc? Is it the same method that saw Squid go along with a first round pick for Tuebert?

The guys an excellent GM but to imply that he is beyond criticism is silly.
The trade was good but DL and his scouts blew it by passing on Myers. It happens with 18 year olds...

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:05 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

I wonder what will happen if Drew asks for a lot of money.. Will DL go to a media?

Dean, just get the job done and

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
Yet people think that Dean will give Kovy enough money to make him join the Kings?
Because we are losing Frolov, I certainly do.

It really hurts to lose your favorite player, but all things must come to an end. He put in his time here, earned his paycheck, and deserves to move on to bigger and better things. Only the best wishes for Frolov. I hope he does win that cup one day.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Randart

Very Interesting...

Nice article at lakingsnews, by Zadster, I am a huge Frolov fan and always have been. First thing that comes to mind is I don't think he is easily replaced if not resigned. I also believe Dean is a Fro fan, as I seem to remember he turned down more than a few offers for him in the past...

I read Dean's comments and think they are as Zad alluded to good negotiating ploys also they are as many have stated typical in some respects to what any GM might say about a player in this position of contrat negotiations. I hold Fro in such high regard that only a few players in the NHL are really as valuable to our team in my opinion. Do I think our coach feels the same for Fro, ah I doubt it by his comments and actions but not sure. Maybe it was his way to try to get the most out of his players...

In the end, I think if Fro is gone and we try to replace him from within the org or with some non elite player many here will miss him more than they can imagine! But that is strictly my thoughts... ( I would have loved to have seen Fro with Kovy playing fror the Kings)

Good luck Sasha, all the best and thanks I have always enjoyed watching you play the game we love. Cheers-

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Goallum

I'm not going to comment in full on this until I see if there's more of elaboration in Hammond's promised big-ass interview, but I will say these two things:

1. I would like a better explanation from Lombardi about how exactly he was apprised of Frolov's demands that he's talking about. From what we've known, he and Frolov's agent haven't even had the discussion. I'd like to know if that changed. If all he's going on is Frolov's exit interview, and haven't even had a serious discussion with his agent, please excuse me while I take a nice salt bath.

2. A number of you are already banging on Frolov in advance for potentially taking big money in the KHL. Understandable, it's always oh so tempting to take a free shot at someone you don't particularly like, despite the fact that that someone has invariably said (and in at least two separate interviews in the last couple of weeks) that his absolute preference is to stay in the NHL.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goallum View Post
I'm not going to comment in full on this until I see if there's more of elaboration in Hammond's promised big-ass interview, but I will say these two things:

1. I would like a better explanation from Lombardi about how exactly he was apprised of Frolov's demands that he's talking about. From what we've known, he and Frolov's agent haven't even had the discussion. I'd like to know if that changed. If all he's going on is Frolov's exit interview, and haven't even had a serious discussion with his agent, please excuse me while I take a nice salt bath.

2. A number of you are already banging on Frolov in advance for potentially taking big money in the KHL. Understandable, it's always oh so tempting to take a free shot at someone you don't particularly like, despite the fact that that someone has invariably said (and in at least two separate interviews in the last couple of weeks) that his absolute preference is to stay in the NHL.
I <3 Goallum

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
He didn't take a hometown discount, he actually held out for a longer deal during negotiations.
I won't argue with you oh so mighty knower of insider information, but I clearly recall DT saying that he presented Fro with a 3-year offer and a 5-year offer, and Fro took the latter. Yes, it wasn't a home-town discount per se, but it was a long-term commitment on his part for more than a reasonable price tag. Not too dissimilar to Brown's deal, actually.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:00 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

There are more issues here than just monetary ones, and if you dont know what they are, I'm not going to air them in a public forum for you.

As for people trashing him by talking about his declining numbers, I'm sure you will all point to this year as proof. Before you do so, please recall that he was relegated to third line checking duties for most of the season, a job he performed incredibly well, without gripe or comment. Name me other third line players who are equally productive, both offensively and defensively, as our Frolov.

Frolov will likely move on, and I for one, and Jr. for two, will be sad to see him go. Not just for his skills but for who he has been for the team, and the community. I believe Frolov still has a 35-40 goal season or two left in the tank, and maybe more (if used properly in that role.) You somply cant expect a guy to score 25+ goals on the 3rd line when his duties were primarily defensive.

I dont think DL said anything horrendous in his responses and his comment actually leads me to believe NOT that he is "not optimistic" but rather that he already knows that NO MATTER WHAT he is not re-signing Frolov. That is why he can afford to say those things publicly, becasue there is no damage whatsoever that could result. (Yes, Zad, I see your perspective, but I think if DL wanted him at all, he would have played it closer to the vest so as not to chance losing him.)

So long Alex. I wish you luck where ever you land. And although I hope this doesnt remain true for much longer, if you are like most other talented King players searching for the cup, its likely you'll have a better shot at hoisting it elsewhere.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:24 AM
kingbrath

He will be resigned! and I will welcome him back with open arms!!!

kingbrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:30 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
A number of you are already banging on Frolov in advance for potentially taking big money in the KHL. Understandable, it's always oh so tempting to take a free shot at someone you don't particularly like, despite the fact that that someone has invariably said (and in at least two separate interviews in the last couple of weeks) that his absolute preference is to stay in the NHL.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...491CA51DCFCBD2

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-27-2010 at 02:46 AM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
This article is completely irrelevant to my point, one that you completely missed (and no, underlining does nothing to change that).

Old
05-27-2010, 02:48 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
This article is completely irrelevant to my point, one that you completely missed.
Who missed what now?

I underlined the part I was responding to... just in case that's not clear... let me spell it out for you. Players ******** the media all the time.

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-27-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old
05-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Who missed what now?

I underlined the part I was responding to... just in case that's not clear... let me spell it out for you. Players ******** the media all the time.
See the edited post. Yeah, I'm sure it was a calculated move on Fro's part to say that in interviews to Russian papers, which you would never even know took place, had I not taken my time to find and translate them.

EDIT: Also, consider what the Russian media and the Russian fan would want to hear, in making your assessment of how much of bovine excrement (Zad, I think that's it) Frolov was letting loose in an interview given to Russian media.

While you missed my point, I appreciate your response, because it's a perfect illustration of the point I actually was making.

Last edited by Goallum: 05-27-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old
05-27-2010, 02:55 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrath View Post
He will be resigned! and I will welcome him back with open arms!!!
I think Fro has been around long enough to know what DL is doing. I say he gets resigned at the discount. I think Fro will cave...

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:00 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
See the edited post. Yeah, I'm sure it was a calculated move on Fro's part to say that in interviews to Russian papers, which you would never even know took place, had I not taken my time to find and translate them.
LOL... what the hell? You're all over the place tonight.

Players bull**** the media from time to time. That's the only comment I felt like responding to mainly because I remembered Jagr saying to the media that he wanted to stay in the NHL as well... right before he bolted for the KHL.

I'm not sure why you think Frolov's comments to the media are anything more than just that... comments that may or may not have any ties to what he actually feels or winds up doing.

Don't get married to players.

Old
05-27-2010, 03:04 AM
Goallum

Quote:
LOL... what the hell? You're all over the place tonight.

Players bull**** the media from time to time. That's the only comment I felt like responding to mainly because I remembered Jagr saying to the media that he wanted to stay in the NHL as well... right before he bolted for the KHL.
Sure they do, as do GMs, but that's beside the point. I'm not even saying he won't go to KHL. I doubt it, but sure, it's completely within the realm of possibility.

My point had to do with something completely different, but I'll leave it at that, as I don't want to get too much off topic.

Old
05-27-2010, 03:24 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
My point had to do with something completely different, but I'll leave it at that, as I don't want to get too much off topic.
Here's your post with the part I commented on removed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goallum
A number of you are already banging on Frolov in advance for potentially taking big money in the KHL. Understandable, it's always oh so tempting to take a free shot at someone you don't particularly like...
Since this (by process of elimination) is your point... aside from taking a shot at people whose opinions you don't agree with, what am I missing?

Old
05-27-2010, 04:44 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

We are getting to the point where the team payroll is edging closer to the cap, key players need to be resigned to big contracts, and fat must be trimmed. Frolov has been a great player for us, arguably the biggest bright spot on some horrific teams over the past few seasons, but he just doesn't fit anymore. I'm not drinking the Kool Aid; I understand what Lombardi is doing by whining to the media. But the reality is that once Frolov hit the 40 game mark, and was on pace for goals in the teens, we all knew he was pretty much gone. It's unfortunate, we all love the guy, but he just doesn't fit anymore.

Frolov's money will likely go to Johnson. I'd rather have Johnson, from an organizational standpoint.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:31 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Frolov hasn't played to the contract he wants. Simple as that.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:20 AM
KingsCourt

love fro...but if he bolts to khl for more money he's not the player i thought he was.

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Or it's obvious that they've been discussing for some time, and Frolov hasn't budged.
No, no, no. Every contract negotiation that turns sour is and will always be Lombardi's fault. Could it be that Dean already knows what the KHL will offer Frolov, or what Frolov's value will be on the open market in the NHL, and feels that he can't afford that?

Nah, that couldn't be it either. Dean just wants to stick it to every player, every time as evidenced by the Kopitar signing a couple of years ago.

And you know what else, he shouldn't be answering these types of questions openly and honestly. The fans that put down their hard earned money to watch the team don't deserve to know what is going on with stuff like this.

I like Frolov as a player a lot, but I also believe that there are other underlying issues with him. It may be possible that Dean was always looking to move on after this season.

Last edited by KINGS17: 05-27-2010 at 10:14 AM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote