Hobey Baker Champs

vCash: 500

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Unless Harding wins 90% of his games and has a .940 save percentage, I can't see him being moved at the deadline. Why would somebody want to trade for him for a playoff run when he's completely unproven?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It could be a team out of it looking for a goalie for the future (see: Dallas this past season).

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:45 PM
nickschultzfan

The Wild's high-talent forward pool is horrible. There is nobody outside Wellman. Time to take a BIG risk. Don't play it safe and draft a decent talent at #9, and then a bunch of middling talent in the 2nd round. Get bold.

Draft the Russians. Not one. Draft them all.

Burmistrov. Tarasenko. Kuzenetsov. Kabanov. Galiev. Kitsyn.

Grab them all. As many as we can. They are going to drop as the KHL is making big moves, and NHL teams aren't going to waste valuable picks. We won't get all of them. But if we can move some guys for extra picks, we can pick up at least three of them, maybe more.

Get a core of them. Let them play in whatever league for a year. Then, bring them all down to Houston together. Then, in short time, you have a complete restocked forward talent pool to go with the young core of the Wild.

In the end, you hope two of them work out and can make a big impact.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:33 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
The Wild's high-talent forward pool is horrible. There is nobody outside Wellman. Time to take a BIG risk. Don't play it safe and draft a decent talent at #9, and then a bunch of middling talent in the 2nd round. Get bold.

Grab them all. As many as we can. They are going to drop as the KHL is making big moves, and NHL teams aren't going to waste valuable picks. We won't get all of them. But if we can move some guys for extra picks, we can pick up at least three of them, maybe more.

Get a core of them. Let them play in whatever league for a year. Then, bring them all down to Houston together. Then, in short time, you have a complete restocked forward talent pool to go with the young core of the Wild.

Problem with drafting the Russians is if you look back over the past 15 or so drafts they are wrought with drafted Russians in round 1 who never play in the NHL. I'm not trying to generalize here but many of the Russians have considerable amounts of baggage attached to them.

This coupled with the fact the director of central scouting stated a couple of weeks ago that the top 12 or 14 picks will be able to challenge for roster spots immediately means you need to get a solid offensive contributor that you are as close to 100% certain as possible.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Interesting idea. I wonder how much easier it would be to get them to come over/stay if they knew there were a group of Russian teammates they could hang with.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:40 PM
mnwildgophers

If Nino is gone, and Granlund is still available...I think we will take him.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Or, since we can't afford to miss on any more forward prospects, how about we don't touch a Russian with anything other than a 6th round pick or later?

Old
05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Or, since we can't afford to miss on any more forward prospects, how about we don't touch a Russian with anything other than a 6th round pick or later?

Yeah, like our North American first rounders, Bouchard, Pouliot, Sheppard, and Gillies certainly were "safe" choices.

Draft talent. Draft a Russian if it's the best choice.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
North Metro Peewees

I say Nino, Granlund, Skinner in that order.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Yeah, like our North American first rounders, Bouchard, Pouliot, Sheppard, and Gillies certainly were "safe" choices.

Draft talent. Draft a Russian if it's the best choice.
We've missed on both talent and "safe" picks. Pouliot had tons of talent, as did Voloshenko. Gillies and Sheppard were both "safe" picks.

How many Russians have the Wild drafted that stuck in the NHL? Here's a hint, you don't need any fingers to count them.

How many Russians have the Wild drafted that have bolted back to the Motherland? Yes, it's greater than zero.

Have the Wild ever drafted a North American who became a successful NHL'er? That's a yes.

So as horrible as the Wild has been in the draft, we've never drafted a decent Russian player who didn't run back home to mama.

Tarasenko, Burmistov, and especially Kabanov all have question marks as to where they will play in the next couple years. Radulov and Filatov have fled back home, Kulikov has stated he will do so if not guaranteed ice time and a roster spot...at what point do you just give up on Russians that aren't a sure thing?

Old
05-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
Quote:
Except Backstrom has a NTC and there is no market for goalies at all. I'll put money down that both Backstrom and Harding are in Wild sweaters next fall.
I won't take that bet because I agree with you. Backs isn't moving simply because Backs doesn't want to move. So in my mind trading him is not a consideration. We all know about Harding. What with all the talk about him over the past couple of years. With Harding's hip injury, pretty crappy W/L record(although I think he is better than that stat indicates) and the fact that it is right now most definitely a buyer's market for goalies there isn't any strong motivation to trade him. If we can get Harding to re-sign for a cost of living raise I have no problem with another year of a Backstrom/Harding tandem, and having Chuck re-visit this situation again in a year's time.

Sidetracked myself with goalie talk. As far as drafting. I am in the stance of no Russians. Even if said Russian is the bpa. No matter how talented they may be. Ultimately I do not trust them. Not in their dedication to playing the NHL style brand of hockey. Not to mention whatever NHL team they are on. With the KHL still looming do we lose our Russian pick after his entry level contract expires? Maybe I am buying blindly into the Russian hockey player stereotype of all talent, no heart. But there is plenty of history to make me believe that that is a stereotype for a reason. As Wild fans know the draft is still a crapshoot, no reason to add more risk by taking a player that may have questionable character issue.

Connolly's hip worries me a bit. Wild trainers do not seem to do well with injuries below the belt and above the shoulders. Nino I do not see a shot in Hades he'll be on the board when it is our turn to pick. Of course if Connolly proves his hip is fine I don't see him available at #9 either. Skinner or Granlund would be my top two choices if Nino and Connolly are gone. Leaning towards Skinner. Sounds like he is more of a finisher between him and Granlund. Well based on his junior stats he is definitely more of a sniper mindset. He was almost a GPG player for Kitchener last season. And we definitely need that. Even if he probably wouldn't be a Wild at least until 2011. No reason to Sheppard him.

Last edited by Marlowe Syn: 05-27-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
nickschultzfan

I say double down. Russians are going to drop for the exact reasons stated. However, teams lose Russians because they treat them like other players. I'm not saying you give special treatment, but an organization has to realize that it's an asset and that you need to maximize that asset.

If you trade some assets like Harding, Sheppard, Bouchard for 2nds and 3rds, and traded down, you can.

It's completely possible to grab 4 or 5 very talented Russian forwards in the first 3 rounds.

I'm not saying they will all be buddies or that they all will play together or even that they all won't bolt for the KHL, I'm just saying that they are more likely to stay and play in N.A. if they realize the team is making a commitment to Russian players.

Within one draft, we could completely restock Houston with forward talent (to go along with its AHL talent and future NHL grinders like Gillies, and soon to be Sheppard,). Maybe in two or three years, one or two of those Russians can make on impact on the Wild.

That's actually probably safer than putting all our eggs into a single N.A. high talent forward, and then drafting a bunch of NHL bottom-6 forwards with our 2nd-7th round picks.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:04 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but a couple questions:

1. Why would all the Russians want to spend two-three years in the AHL when there's more money in the KHL?

2. How would you replace the assets given up and have prospects accept the fact that they are lower in the totem pole than Wellman, Gillies and company?

3. Hasn't treating first and second rounders like they are special been one of the major issues why Minnesota is in the position they are in?

Old
05-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well played, sir.

They wouldn't, you can't, and it has.

Old
05-27-2010, 10:55 PM
WestCoastWild

Honestly at this point with the #9 pick this is how I would like the Wild to go.

1st Choice - Granlund
2nd Choice - Skinner
3rd Choice - Burmistrov

I'd love to see GMCF try to move the 2nd rounders and maybe Shep for a late 1st if Bjudstad or Pitlick are still around. I'd be ecstatic with that first round.

I think Granlund would be a perfect choice with the Wild, he's a high offensive power, he can play C or W, he's got speed and he's already played against older comp, plus he's a Finn

WestCoastWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 03:20 AM
WestCoastWild

I also think if GMCF can't move the 2nd round picks maybe take a look at Pulkkinen in the 2nd round as a high risk/reward player.

WestCoastWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The more I think about it, the more okay I'd be with a Granlund pick. Yes, he's a bit small and a pass-first player, but he put up almost a PPG as a 17 year old in the Finnish men's league.

Old
05-28-2010, 10:56 AM
saywut

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more okay I'd be with a Granlund pick. Yes, he's a bit small and a pass-first player, but he put up almost a PPG as a 17 year old in the Finnish men's league.
I'm more concerned with his skating than his size. And I know nobody agrees with me, but I could easily see Austin Watson as the pick at #9, or moving down to select him(With Bjugstad being the backup plan).

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 12:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLYWD10 View Post
I also think if GMCF can't move the 2nd round picks maybe take a look at Pulkkinen in the 2nd round as a high risk/reward player.
I'd love that if he's still around at 39.

Old
05-28-2010, 04:43 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I'd love that if he's still around at 39.
How would a Pulkkinen/Granlund combo look? It's very possible he's still sitting there at #39.

Old
05-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Red Alberks

Based off of the hype that Nino is getting I doubt he is available to us at 9. Connolly could possibly be there and if he is there I think we have to take him (under the condition that our doctors feel he checks out) because disregarding his injury troubles, he is widely considered as the third best player in this draft. If he is not there, one of Skinner, Johansen, and Granlund should be our pick. And based off of what I have read, I think Granlund or Skinner would be the best pick. I have not seen any of these guys play, so I'm basing this off of what I have read about the players. I guess my opinion isn't very valid lol.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:18 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
We've missed on both talent and "safe" picks. Pouliot had tons of talent, as did Voloshenko. Gillies and Sheppard were both "safe" picks.

How many Russians have the Wild drafted that stuck in the NHL? Here's a hint, you don't need any fingers to count them.

How many Russians have the Wild drafted that have bolted back to the Motherland? Yes, it's greater than zero.

Have the Wild ever drafted a North American who became a successful NHL'er? That's a yes.

So as horrible as the Wild has been in the draft, we've never drafted a decent Russian player who didn't run back home to mama.

Tarasenko, Burmistov, and especially Kabanov all have question marks as to where they will play in the next couple years. Radulov and Filatov have fled back home, Kulikov has stated he will do so if not guaranteed ice time and a roster spot...at what point do you just give up on Russians that aren't a sure thing?
I believe we've drafted exactly one Russian north of the 5th round, and it only takes one hand to count all of them through round 9. And it turns out that the above the 5th was a top prospect until his personal issues likely unrelated to being homesick. We've never really given Russians a chance, nor have we drafted more than one that had a decent shot to start with.

Oh, and although he's technically not a Russian, we're close to having a draftee play in the NHL for a while.

Tarasenko and Burmistrov are about as safe as you can get for Russian players. I'm sick of drafting "safe" players. It's getting us nowhere. Let's try for a home run for a change.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:18 PM
mnwildgophers

Why do we keep seeing mocks with us taking Forbort with the 9th overall? It's getting ridiculous, I'd be pretty angry if we took him with Granlund, Skinner, Watson, Bjugstad, Tarasenko, or any of the high end forwards still available, we can't go defense again unless we see Fowler or Gudbranson fall.

Old
05-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

CircularTheory's NHL 2010 Mock Draft

http://circulartheory.blogspot.com/2...ock-draft.html

At this year's draft, the Minnesota Wild will be looking to add a goal-scoring forward, preferably a winger. With the exception of Marian Gaborik, the Wild have never even came close to drafting and developing a goal-scoring forward, the closest would be Benoit Pouliot and Patrick O'Sullivan who are no longer part of the Wild organization.

Armed with the 9th pick overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, the Wild will have the chance to draft a goal-scorer, with options in Emerson Etem, Jeff Skinner, Vladimir Tarasenko, and Brett Connolly.

Because I have no life, I was able to compile a mock draft. Here, Circular Theory presents his first ever mock draft:

1. EDMONTON OILERS
Hall, Taylor LW Windor OHL 6'0.5" 185lbs

The first pick is really just a contest between Hall and Seguin. Both are similar sizes, both are willing to get gritty, and both are very skilled. But I feel Hall's resume and Oiler's need of a winger will make Taylor the 1st overall pick.

2. BOSTON BRUINS
Seguin, Tyler C Plymouth OHL 6'1" 172lbs

There is no challenge. The Bruins probably will have the easiest decision of the day, picking the leftover from the Oilers. Either way, they will end up with a key prospect for the organization

3. FLORIDA PANTHERS
Gudbranson, Erik D Kingston OHL 6'3.75" 195lbs

I love this kid. He's got everything. He's got skill, he's got size, he's got wingspan, he's got a long stick (grow up! you know what I mean...), he's got a solid shot, he's got smarts (top scholastic OHL player of the year) and he's got one hell of a character off the ice (see the TSN interview of how he dealt with his brother's sickness)

4. COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
Fowler, Cam D Windsor OHL 6'1.25" 190lbs

Once thought of as a challenger to Taylor Hall, Fowler now falls into the 2nd group of prospects, mixed in with a number of defensemen. The Jackets will have a tough time choosing between two puck moving d-men (Fowler and Gormley) who can both run the powerplay and make the first pass out the zone.

5. NEW YORK ISLANDERS
Gormley, Brandon D Moncton QMJHL 6'2" 185lbs

The Islanders will pick the best player available and will end up with Gormley despite the fact that the Islanders already boast a very impressive defensive prospect pool. Nothing wrong with adding another puck moving d-man who plays a solid two-way game

6. TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING
Connolly, Brett RW Prince George WHL 6'2" 181lbs

Connolly missed pretty much the whole season (takes us Wild fans back doesn't it) but the season before, he did great. Talent is there, health is the only question but teams will have their own doctors to evaluate if his hip will be a problem. Assuming that it isn't, the Lightning would love to add Connolly and his skill to their prospect pool

7. CAROLINA HURRICANES
Niederreiter, Nino RW Portland WHL 6'1.5" 201lbs

Very impressive during the World Juniors where he led the Swiss team to an incredible run. He displays an impressive combination of grit and skill and the Hurricanes would love to add any blue-chip prospect to their pool, position not required.

8. ATLANTA THRASHERS
Granlund, Mikael C HIFK Finland 5'10" 180lbs

Granlund is somewhat undersized and does not have the speed and skating ability to make up for it but he is considered one of the best playmakers in the draft. He is also very smart and hardworking. The Thrashers will take the risk and hope that Granlund will end up playing with dangerous goal scorer Evander Kane.

9. MINNESOTA WILD
Etem, Emerson RW Medicine Hat WHL 6'0.25" 190lbs

Finally, the Wild. We wanted a goal scoring winger and Etem lead all WHL rookies with 37 goals. Not only can he score, he's fast and he's strong. Known for his awkward skating style, Etem, he isn't afraid to get dirty and go for the rebounds. But I'll be terribly honest, if Connolly was there, I would pick him but I don't expect him to last till 9th overall so Etem would by my 2nd choice.

10. NEW YORK RANGERS
Tarasenko, Vladimir RW Novosibirsk Russia 5'11" 202lbs

The Rangers have shortage of right wing prospects but fortunately the next best player available just happens to be one. The Russian problem has never scared the Rangers and most likely will not again.

11. DALLAS STARS
Forbort, Derek D USA U-18 USHL 6'4.5" 198lbs

With the departure of Ivan Vishnevskiy, the Stars is left with Philip Larsen as their top defensive prospect. Larsen is an average sized offensive d-man so the Stars would love to add a huge defensemen in Forbort. He is a great skater for his size, alot of physical tools and alot of raw ability.

12. ANAHEIM DUCKS
Johansen, Ryan C Portland WHL 6'2" 192lbs

The Ducks have a large number of goaltenders and high end blueliners, so they wouldn't mind adding a talent forward. Johansen is one of the biggest risers in the draft and arguably the best player available at the time

13. PHOENIX COYOTES
Bjugstad, Nick C Blaine HIGH-MN 6'3.75" 188lbs

Boasting a prospect pool of forwards like Kyle Turris and Mikkel Boedker, the Coyotes wouldn't mind adding a big, imposing forward. The recent Minnesota Mr.Hockey Award winner, Bjugstad has a solid shot and plays effectively at both ends and has a big frame to fill out when he gets older

14. ST.LOUIS BLUES
Skinner, Jeff RW Kitchener OHL 5'10" 187lbs

The Blues have tons of bluechip prospects but what they lack is a goal-scoring prospect and no one has scored as many goals in the CHL than Skinner. There is some risk involved with some questioning whether Skinner can take the physical play of the NHL.

15. BOSTON BRUINS
Pysyk, Mark D Edmonton WHL 6'1.25" 174lbs

Already drafting Seguin, the Bruins take this chance to try to refill their defensive prospect pool and select pick who does not have any glaring deficiencies but logs tons of ice time and is starting to see some offensive ability.

16. OTTAWA SENATORS
Burmistrov, Alexander C Barrie OHL 5'11.25" 157lbs

Senators have a great defensive prospect pool with Karlsson, Cowen and Wiercioch, and would like to start filling its forward prospect pool. They add skilled and fast Burmistrov, while not exactly big, has tons of offensive potential

17. COLORADO AVALANCHE
Campbell, Jack G USA U-18 USHL 6'2.5" 175lbs

With the recent graduations of Matt Duchene and Ryan O'Reilly and with a deep defensive prospect pool staring Kevin Shattenkirk and Stefan Elliott, the Avs decide to begin deal with the lack of a bluechip goaltender.

18. NASHVILLE PREDATORS
Kabanov, Kirill LW Moncton QMJHL 6'2" 173lbs

Kabanov's recent off ice behavior have dropped him from many teams list but after stating during the combine that he never wants to return to Russia and is thinking about changing his citizenship, teams are starting to look at him again. Very talented but obviously conflicted, the Predators put trust in Kabanov's words and draft him hoping to add a very skill winger to the organization

19. LOS ANGELES KINGS
Howden, Quinton C Moose Jaw WHL 6'2" 182lbs

Able to play center or wing, the Kings would love left wingers by adding a top skating two-way forward that can score goals and add a bit of physical play with the Kings mix of forwards starring center Brayden Schenn

20. PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
Kuznetsov, Evgeny C Chelyabinsk 6'0" 172lbs

Like Howden, Kuznetsov can be coverted into a winger, which is exactly what the Penguins are looking for. Still searching for a low-cost solution in terms of Crosby's linemates, Kuznetsov is the best player available with tons of skill, with the Russian factor dropping his draft stock to the Pens.

21. DETROIT RED WINGS
Watson, Austin LW Peterborough 6'3.25" 185lbs

One of the better defensive forwards and better shot blockers in the OHL, Watson started to show off some offensive when he got traded to the Peterborough Petes where he would take on a larger role, scoring 20 points in 10 games. The Red Wings are thrilled to pick him up this late.

22. PHOENIX COYOTES
Merrill, Jon D USA U-18 USHL 6'3.25" 198lbs

Already adding size to their forwards with Nick Bjugstad, the Coyotes add another big body to compliment their 2009 pick Oliver-Ekman Larsson. While OEL is seen as an highly skilled puck mover, Merrill is seen as a positionally sound defensive d-man who plays a physical game, a perfect match.

23. BUFFALO SABRES
Galiev, Stanislav RW Saint John QMJHL 6'0.75" 178lbs

With tons of talented prospects within the organization, the Sabres decide to talented player who is smart, fast and can generate offense on his own. While not scared off physical play, teams would like to see Galiev add more muscle but the Sabres are obviously not afraid to draft players who are a little less physical than others.

24. ATLANTA THRASHERS
McFarland, John C Sudbury OHL 6'0.25" 192lbs

At this point in the draft, the Thrashers are looking to add any high potential prospects, regardless of position, and they find one in McFarland. Previously considered to be a top 10 pick this draft, McFarland's lack of hockey sense dropped his draft stock. However, McFarland has NHL speed and an NHL shot and might get the Thrashers a steal if he improves on his defensive play

25. VANCOUVER CANUCKS
Schwartz, Jaden C Tri-City USHL 5'10" 180lbs

Looking to add a scoring forward to compliment Hodgson and Schroeder, the Nucks select the leading USHL scorer. Somewhat undersized, Schwartz has the offensive ability and hockey sense that the Canucks want in an scoring prospect

26. WASHINGTON CAPITALS
McIlrath, Dylan D Moose Jaw WHL 6'4.25" 212lbs

The Capitals decide to choose a strickly defensive d-man with limited offsensive abilties, but who is very good at what he does. He has all the tools that will make him into a defensive force that the Caps hope to see on their blueline alongside players like Mike Green and John Carlson.

27. MONTREAL CANADIENS
Pitlick, Tyler C Minnesota State WCHA 6'1.5" 194lbs

The Canadiens would like to add some size to their forward prospect pool and Pitlick offers that and more. Pitlick can play wing, has speed, has a heavy snap shot, doesn't back down from play and can create offense.

28. SAN JOSE SHARKS
Bennett, Beau RW Penticton BCHL 6'0.5" 173lbs

With the lack of quality wingers, especially right wingers, the Sharks are proud to select Bennett, a slick and fast forward that has excellent puck and playmaking skills. He obviously also knows how to finish off chances, scoring 120 points in 56 games.

29. ANAHEIM DUCKS
Sheahan, Riley C U of Notre Dame CCHA 6'1.5" 202lbs

Sheahan has the good combination of size, playmaking skills and hockey sense. The Ducks can afford to pick on a raw prospect like Sheahan with the previous selection of Johansen. They are hoping that it pays out big.

30. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS
Pickard, Calvin G Seattle WHL 6'0.5" 195lbs

Spoiled with a young pro roster and a deep prospect pool in both forwards and defense, the Blackhawks try to shore up their goaltending prospect pool, covered by their top goaltending prospect Alec Richards, with the selection of Pickard. Displaying all-round ability with no glaring weakness, Pickard is a solid goaltender that never gives up.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote