HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi "Not Optimistic" on Frolov

Old
05-27-2010, 11:07 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
No, no, no. Every contract negotiation that turns sour is and will always be Lombardi's fault. Could it be that Dean already knows what the KHL will offer Frolov, or what Frolov's value will be on the open market in the NHL, and feels that he can't afford that?

Nah, that couldn't be it either. Dean just wants to stick it to every player, every time as evidenced by the Kopitar signing a couple of years ago.

And you know what else, he shouldn't be answering these types of questions openly and honestly. The fans that put down their hard earned money to watch the team don't deserve to know what is going on with stuff like this.

I like Frolov as a player a lot, but I also believe that there are other underlying issues with him. It may be possible that Dean was always looking to move on after this season.
From my understanding, and what some of you already know, most likely, primarily THIS^^^^.

Now, if DL would have talked about those things, THAT would undoubtably be described as airing real dirty laundry in public.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
From my understanding, and what some of you already know, most likely, primarily THIS^^^^.

Now, if DL would have talked about those things, THAT would undoubtably be described as airing real dirty laundry in public.
Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Here's your post with the part I commented on removed...

Since this (by process of elimination) is your point... aside from taking a shot at people whose opinions you don't agree with, what am I missing?
You're getting closer (although I would suggest that process of elimination is much better suited for digestive system wellness, than for reading comprehension). OK, let me restate it as such: how about using facts to form opinions, not the other way around.

And as far as taking shots at people whose opinions one disagrees with, I hope I look really really good in your crosshairs, to make it worth all the effort.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Goallum

Quote:

If this is about that they still can't get over about THAT, that's some sound personnel decision-making right there. I wonder how consistently this approach will be applied, and there's certainly an opportunity at hand to show this consistency or inconsistency.

Old
05-27-2010, 12:10 PM
DeeMeck

I think this is just a negotiating ploy. Period.

Lombardi has probably made some kind of offer, and Fro's agent has probably responded with they want to wait for July 1st, and the KHL has already offered such and such money.

Just looks like typical DL posturing. He usually does the opposite of what he says to the public anyways. Visnovsky, O'Sullivan, Kopitar's deal which skipped the "second" contract DL likes to harp on, and has given to everyone else like JJ.

The Kopi deal was a PR deal IMO to show that he could sign his own guys and skip the "second" contract which dogged him in SJ.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post

Lombardi has probably made some kind of offer, and Fro's agent has probably responded with they want to wait for July 1st, and the KHL has already offered such and such money.

Just looks like typical DL posturing. He usually does the opposite of what he says to the public anyways. Visnovsky, O'Sullivan, Kopitar's deal which skipped the "second" contract DL likes to harp on, and has given to everyone else like JJ.

The Kopi deal was a PR deal IMO to show that he could sign his own guys and skip the "second" contract which dogged him in SJ.
I think you may be close. However I think DL should have said something like " We like Frolov a lot. We will offer him the best deal we can, remembering the cap and other players we must sign to improve the LA Kings. It is really up to Frolov to decide if he wants to be a King or go somewhere else."
A statement like that would have put the fault of not resigning him on Frolov.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post

OR... DL thought Kopitar was a legit #1 center who deserves $7mm/ yr and wanted him locked up as part of the core. I'm willing to bet Doughty skips his 2nd contract as well. Perhaps another PR deal? A "ploy", if you will... Like you, I just hate it when my favorite team signs its best players to long term deals

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Quattro

Quote:

I hate this stuff. If you "know" something, either say it or don't bring it up.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I hate this stuff. If you "know" something, either say it or don't bring it up.
Can't do it here.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

My problem is, why didn't we get something for him via trade. The writing has been on the wall about Fro but yet we let him slip away. If he goes we need to replace his points and ya I know they are on the decline. I think we could of kept Fro for 4 mill. Who can replace him for the same price. The same thing happened to Cammi, I would of rather gave Cammi 6 mill a year then Smyth. Same for Fro. We've never replaced the point production of Cammy and know we will need to do the same with Fro. Those of you thinking we will get Kovy or Marleau, doubt it happens. To much money. We have to lock the core up blah blah blah.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Can't do it here.
then
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
don't bring it up.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goallum View Post
If this is about that they still can't get over about THAT, that's some sound personnel decision-making right there. I wonder how consistently this approach will be applied, and there's certainly an opportunity at hand to show this consistency or inconsistency.

well if history indicates pattern... Dean essentially did the same thing to Eric Belanger.

greater good, organizational well-being, yadda yadda.

which is fine.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
well if history indicates pattern... Dean essentially did the same thing to Eric Belanger.

greater good, organizational well-being, yadda yadda.

which is fine.
It is, but I see a few problems with this.

For one, if THAT was such an irreparable issue for the organizational well-being, he should have been traded already, at the deadline at the latest, but probably much sooner. The fact that he wasn't to me is an indication that on the balance of things, perhaps it's not something that is as great of a determinant in this equation as one might think.

Second, indications are that the other part to that equation is on the verge of heading for greener pastures, if not this offseason, still soon enough, and Lombardi acknowledged as much in his NHL Live interview.

Third, as I already mentioned, if organizational well-being is of such importance, there's another situation going on right now that is a lot more serious, potentially a lot more damaging, and immeasurably more high-profile, and I haven't yet seen a single indication that this particular aspect of the organizational well-being is the overriding concern in dealing with it.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:54 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
OR... DL thought Kopitar was a legit #1 center who deserves $7mm/ yr and wanted him locked up as part of the core. I'm willing to bet Doughty skips his 2nd contract as well. Perhaps another PR deal? A "ploy", if you will... Like you, I just hate it when my favorite team signs its best players to long term deals
Thanks for chopping up my post to suit yours.

The point I am trying to make is that DL says things publicly for a purpose, then usually does the opposite.

Last edited by DeeMeck: 05-27-2010 at 02:03 PM.
DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I was always one of the biggest Lombardi supporters......
but it starts to decrease.

The only thing i can see is that Frolov ass for more than 3.5 Mill.
In this case it's completely right to let him walk because he simply doesn't deserve it.

Why Frolov doesn't play better with a ton of talent is on another sheet.
It has a lot to do with the coaching staff and the style to play hockey
but we already beat that to death.

The second point is we need Frolov's salary to get a real scoring left winger in.
On the other hand we would have to spare additional salary somewhere else
what makes Stoll the 1st choice to trade.

"IF" Lomardi just let Frolov walk because of his Cammy,Patty syndrome
and is still afraid to take the next step or get rid of the coaching staff
i will really start to question him.
Everyone is talking about a schedulle and to be patient.
But to stay in the middle of nowhere just to do nothing wrong just fit's
our hockey style to play "not to loose the game" instead winning a game.
This is the stuff what makes young guys changing to a team with winning mentality.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
The only thing i can see is that Frolov ass for more than 3.5 Mill.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
I mean really, can it be worth THAT much?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'd love to have Frolov on the Rangers instead of some of the over paid, average-at-best players we have/have had.

I want he and Zherdev to be our secondary scoring behind Gaborik.

I feel Frolov would fit with Anisimov very well. Two big guys who work well down low and can play a puck possession game, and create space.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I think DL already knows that Fro is good as gone.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
It's just typical. Every time a player doesn't sign for what he considers to be a good deal he covers his ass and in one way or another portarys the player as greedy..
So what do you think if a fair contract for Frolov?

Hypothetical:
And what do you if Frolov asks for 1.5 or 2x what you consider to be fair and affordable while fitting in to your overall cap picture?

Old
05-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm shocked and appalled that some of you are surprised by this news. Seemed like a foregone conclusion long ago that Frolov's days as a King was numbered. My reaction to this news is similar to Frolov's demeanor: indifferent.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Wasn't a fan of him, and didn't want to see him return(unless at a major discount).
Not even at a major discount, I don't want Frolov taking up roster spot.

You had it right the first time: don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:54 PM
null33

Quote:
Can't do it here.
Then don't bring it up in the first place.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:24 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Don't get married to players.
... Sorry but that's one of the most hilarious lines I've ever read.

If you're gonna marry yourself to a team, you HAVE to marry yourself to players. What is the team made up of? Players, obviously. Are you going to marry yourself to the GM? To the owner? To Tim Leiweke?

As for the topic of the thread, this is just more proof that no matter how much certain people in here love Dean Lombardi, Dean's biggest fan will always be himself. He just can't help himself, HE has to be the star of the team -- not Kopitar, not Doughty, not any of the players who actually win the games and bring success to the organization. It's always about Dean. He doesn't want to actually negotiate and go back and forth, it's almost like that is beneath him. Accept HIS terms or you're dead to him. There is no such thing as loyalty to an organization or doing what is best for the organization at the time. What Dean's ego wants always comes before anything or anyone else.

So, I hope Frolov sticks it to the Kings for the rest of his career, and I have no doubt that, barring injury, he will. And we'll have a thread in here again, much like the thread with Cammalleri, where yet another player will leave the Kings and proceed to play well and go farther in the playoffs than the Kings ever will -- and yet there will be people who will still cling to their love for Lombardi and twist things around, and they'll say Frolov never wanted to stay, that he didn't have loyalty, etc. It's the same old boring and tired song.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Sorry but that's one of the most hilarious lines I've ever read.

If you're gonna marry yourself to a team, you HAVE to marry yourself to players. What is the team made up of? Players, obviously. Are you going to marry yourself to the GM? To the owner? To Tim Leiweke?

As for the topic of the thread, this is just more proof that no matter how much certain people in here love Dean Lombardi, Dean's biggest fan will always be himself. He just can't help himself, HE has to be the star of the team -- not Kopitar, not Doughty, not any of the players who actually win the games and bring success to the organization. It's always about Dean. He doesn't want to actually negotiate and go back and forth, it's almost like that is beneath him. Accept HIS terms or you're dead to him. There is no such thing as loyalty to an organization or doing what is best for the organization at the time. What Dean's ego wants always comes before anything or anyone else.

So, I hope Frolov sticks it to the Kings for the rest of his career, and I have no doubt that, barring injury, he will. And we'll have a thread in here again, much like the thread with Cammalleri, where yet another player will leave the Kings and proceed to play well and go farther in the playoffs than the Kings ever will -- and yet there will be people who will still cling to their love for Lombardi and twist things around, and they'll say Frolov never wanted to stay, that he didn't have loyalty, etc. It's the same old boring and tired song.
I'm starting to feel like that. Maybe its just a rite of passage Kings fans have to go thur.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote