HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So...you still wanna fire Homer?

Old
05-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
OK, so you guys think it is blind luck that we have a goalie playing so well? Or perhaps, it is because Paul Holmgren built a team that is so unbelievable defensively that it seems any goalie we put in our net is capable of winning in the NHL. Chris Pronger was a deal most dismissed as a huge overpayment by Homer, in truth.....it was a ballsy move that has paid off. We gave away a bad contract in Lupul, and three picks (Sbiza, Moore and hopefully the 30th overall this year).
?
Yes, I do think it is blind luck that the goalies are playing well. Yes, the great defense he has built has helped, but they also have managed to avoid elite offenses up until this point. At the end of March someone in the front office was telling Anthony SanFilippo that we were lucky with Leighton and they can't keep going with the goaltending situation the way it was. Holmgren had no faith in Boucher when Leighton went down and was desperately trying to find a goalie. Boucher lost his job to someone who never played in the NHL in his life, but fortunately for Boucher, Backlund got injured in his first and only start. Yes, it has been lucky as hell. Not even Holmgren himself could have predicted it would have worked out this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
The Habs were in the conference finals on merit. To call them a #8 seed is a little disingenuous. As for the Bruins offense, it sucked all season, no arguments.And I am not about to take credit away from the team for kicking New Jersey's ass just because they had proven they could do it in the regular season. They still kicked their ass when it mattered.

The fact of the matter is that most teams that make it to the Finals have had some luck somewhere along the way, whether it be match-ups, staying healthy, a goalie catching fire (if you wanna call that luck). There's some luck in the game.
Everyone definitely has some luck and the Flyers can only play the teams they are faced with and they've done well. There's nothing taking away from that, but you can't deny the match ups couldn't have gone any better for them.

The Habs did the unthinkable in the first two rounds, but the reality is they were getting by on smoke and mirrors and a goalie playing out of his mind. They were completely out chanced and out shot by both the Caps and Pens. More often than not a team isn't going to win one round that way let alone two. Really who didn't want to face the Habs? I would have taken them over the Caps and Pens any day.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
If you look at the history of the red wings signings and trades, there is nothing. They build through the draft with European players. When they do pull off deals, they are not very good. There signings are questionable
Which is why they've had 3 SCF appearances in the last 8 years and won 2 Cups.

I mean, sure they would have done fine without Stuart and Rafalski (what do you know, a trade and a signing!).

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Eaves at 500k is a steal.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Eaves at 500k is a steal.
The whole idea that bargain basement deals for Eaves, Williams, and Thomas are bad contracts is ridiculous.

That's like calling the Metropolit deal a bad contract. Sure it didn't work out for us, but that doesn't make it a bad deal.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
JESTER,
To clarify for me then - you don't like the 2009-2010 version of the Philadelphia Flyers? If that is so, then I understand your frustration. If you do like this team, then you have nothing to complain about......since it is 100% constructed by Paul Holmgren! Correct?
Actually, you'd be incorrect here. I like this team a lot, I just think it's terrible logic to roll the dice at goal...and wish we had a legit 3rd line center (which I think is going to present itself as a serious problem against the Blackhawks, but we'll see).

And, just a bit of advice, you're new here and haven't been engaged in conversations that have literally been going on for months and years... maybe get a read for the lay of the land before going after people's opinions when they're engaged with others that have been around and involved for months.

As noted, above in this very thread, I thought we could compete for the cup this year if we got quality goaltending. Guess what, we have (surprisingly), and here we are in the SCF.

Quote:
If you look at the history of the red wings signings and trades, there is nothing. They build through the draft with European players. When they do pull off deals, they are not very good. There signings are questionable
Some examples, please (under the salary cap, not prior to the lockout). The ones you've provided so far have been pretty terrible for discrediting the job they've done over there.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:34 PM
UseYourAllusion

I don't see any way you can legitimately argue that the Red Wings don't do a phenomenal job. Their brand of consistent success should be the envy of every other front office in the NHL, and, frankly, those in other leagues/sports too.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:20 PM
phillyfanatic

OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, you'd be incorrect here. I like this team a lot, I just think it's terrible logic to roll the dice at goal...and wish we had a legit 3rd line center (which I think is going to present itself as a serious problem against the Blackhawks, but we'll see).

Not sure what you mean here - we have five good centers? Also, my point is - how can you be hard on Homer if you agree that this years team is very good? That is my only point

And, just a bit of advice, you're new here and haven't been engaged in conversations that have literally been going on for months and years... maybe get a read for the lay of the land before going after people's opinions when they're engaged with others that have been around and involved for months.

I may be new "here", but you engaged me. I just offered my opinion, I never mentioned you? I am just saying that I don't understand how people are coming after Homer while we are in the SCF.....I guess that offends you?

As noted, above in this very thread, I thought we could compete for the cup this year if we got quality goaltending. Guess what, we have (surprisingly), and here we are in the SCF.

Some examples, please (under the salary cap, not prior to the lockout). The ones you've provided so far have been pretty terrible for discrediting the job they've done over there.
Go to http://nhltradeshistory.blogspot.com/ and take a look. My point is, they don't make any.....and the ones they make (Bertuzzi) and not anything special

To those that think I am crapping on Detroit, I am NOT. I am saying you can look at any team in the NHL and find flaws in the deals they make!! Philly included. Every team has good deals and bad ones. Good signings and bad ones. The teams with Cap problems are the best teams in the league!!! That doesn't mean we should fire Homer. Also note, if we Fire Homer, a new GM and re-models the team.....that could take years. No offense to you Jester, I am just responding to your questions, I am not coming after you or anyone else. I just love the job Homer has done and I am posting with my reasons why I think he is a very good GM. LETS GO FLYERS!!!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Go to http://nhltradeshistory.blogspot.com/ and take a look. My point is, they don't make any.....and the ones they make (Bertuzzi) and not anything special
Not making a lot of trades is probably a sing of them having faith in the personnel they do acquire and develop, and staying the course not making panic moves. You don't need to make a ton of trades if you get what you need in the few instances that you do make one.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:13 PM
phillyfanatic

Agreed

Quote:
Not making a lot of trades is probably a sing of them having faith in the personnel they do acquire and develop, and staying the course not making panic moves. You don't need to make a ton of trades if you get what you need in the few instances that you do make one.
I agree 100%!! I think we can agree that trades were required to put this team back on track. With the core of this team set, I suspect more prospects developed and us keeping our picks going forward. However, in the cap era, sometimes it is best to let a guy go rather than pay him! Lupul and Jones are perfect examples!

Old
05-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Jester

Quote:

To those that think I am crapping on Detroit, I am NOT. I am saying you can look at any team in the NHL and find flaws in the deals they make!! Philly included. Every team has good deals and bad ones. Good signings and bad ones. The teams with Cap problems are the best teams in the league!!! That doesn't mean we should fire Homer. Also note, if we Fire Homer, a new GM and re-models the team.....that could take years. No offense to you Jester, I am just responding to your questions, I am not coming after you or anyone else. I just love the job Homer has done and I am posting with my reasons why I think he is a very good GM. LETS GO FLYERS!!!
1) please don't respond within quotes, it makes it harder to respond to you. Break up the quotes using the handy brackets and take it from there.

2) It's your argument, you provide examples of the supposed poor management in Detroit. Not my job to find evidence for your argument... so far your evidence has been pretty much devoid of any value.

3) Hiring a new GM does not mean that you necessarily "re-model the team. As noted, the Blackhaws fired their GM.

As to your comments:

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here - we have five good centers? Also, my point is - how can you be hard on Homer if you agree that this years team is very good? That is my only point
Five? We have Richards, Carter, and Betts. Then Giroux has been playing C, but ideally he's a top 6 wing at some point... we can't give up Carter's size down the middle. Briere played wing the majority of the season because he's just flat BRUTAL defensively at center.

This team is notably lacking a strong two-way third line center, who can provide a bit of offense, win draws, and play solid defense. This hasn't gotten exposed against the very weak NJ Devs depth chart, the worst offense in the NHL, and the mighty midgets of Montreal, but it is something you may see the Blackhawks take advantage of in matchups.

There's a big difference between having a bunch of players, and having the right players for defined roles.

Quote:
I may be new "here", but you engaged me. I just offered my opinion, I never mentioned you? I am just saying that I don't understand how people are coming after Homer while we are in the SCF.....I guess that offends you?
Huh? You specifically wrote:

Quote:
JESTER,
To clarify for me then - you don't like the 2009-2010 version of the Philadelphia Flyers? If that is so, then I understand your frustration. If you do like this team, then you have nothing to complain about......since it is 100% constructed by Paul Holmgren! Correct?
That was after quoting and responding directly to one of my posts.

I'm not offended at all, you just look completely ignorant making assumptions about arguments I've been making around here for months to years, and having conversations with people within that context. Criticizing the job Paul Holmgren does has a GM does not necessarily mean disliking the team he's constructed.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
lancer247

BOTTOM FRIGGIN LINE

The guy took over the last place team in the league and in trhee (3) full seasons he has:

MADE THREE (3) TRIPS TO THE PLAYOFFS
MADE TWO TRIPS TO THE ECF.
MADE ONE TRIP TO THE SCF.

Give the guy some due beyond "he got lucky".

He made a bad signing in Randy Jones but when put into perspective of similar signings of Finger, Liles, and Hansey...IS STILL BAD.

He signed Briere to kings ransom at a time when Ed Snyder wasn't going to accept, "well we tried to sign the best available player."

Now going into his fourth season he has jones off the books and Briere has shown he worth.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

who wanted to fire him and when?

i don't post here often (this may remind me why).

consider this, holmgren built a team that despite a litany of injuries made the playoffs and once it was 100% they went to the FINALS. nearly EVERY significant player is under contract for next season. he still has hosed teams in trades.

his drafts are still up in the air and he sort of forced his juggling act between the pipes but anyone pushing for his canning is just giving us the reputation we already have around the league as a gruff, nothing-is-good-enough bunch of sore losers.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
BOTTOM FRIGGIN LINE

The guy took over the last place team in the league and in trhee (3) full seasons he has:

MADE THREE (3) TRIPS TO THE PLAYOFFS
MADE TWO TRIPS TO THE ECF.
MADE ONE TRIP TO THE SCF.

Give the guy some due beyond "he got lucky".

He made a bad signing in Randy Jones but when put into perspective of similar signings of Finger, Liles, and Hansey...IS STILL BAD.

He signed Briere to kings ransom at a time when Ed Snyder wasn't going to accept, "well we tried to sign the best available player."

Now going into his fourth season he has jones off the books and Briere has shown he worth.
great summary, and both deep runs have been ones where the team got EVERYTHING out of its players. that speaks to the character and culture of the organization. it was disappointing to lose to pittsburgh in that fashion, yes, but they were hardly shabby and we made adjustments for this year, big ones, and also during this season, even bigger ones.

stevens was allowed to wear out his welcome, yes, so what? now we have a top tier coach, a Cup winner who is going to stay a while.

jones was a weak signing, well we bought shipped him out and now have the best defense corps in the east if not the entire league.

i was iffy on the briere and timonen signings and said a ten-year type deal for carter would be a mistake. well, timonen looks like he will play out his contract productively, briere has been a mixed bag but no way do we reach the conf finals two years ago and the conf finals this year without him. deal with the fallout there later. those guys were also important in terms of symbolism. clarke responded to the new nhl by signing forsberg, rathje and hatcher. homer signed timonen and briere, guys who are emblems of the new faster style game.

and let's not ignore the trades he made. he turned foppa into a 1B DMan; a 3rd pairing guy and a top six forward;Zhitnik into a good young top four guy; and a bunch of spare pieces essentially into a positively singular commodity on the blue line who just happens to have deep playoff runs follow him from franchise to franchise.

and we are WHINING about this?

we could be worse than the Eagles fans now if so lol.

Old
05-26-2010, 09:22 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

If anything it has shown they are going to go with the 3 scoring lines, 1 shutdown line then the 2 scoring lines, a shutdown and a fighting line. I wouldnt hold your breath on the 3rd line center thing. They see Giroux, Briere, and even Powe as centers you can fill in. And being honest, it works so there is no reason to get rid of it. I wouldnt hold your breath if I were you.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Homer is a mediocre GM that has an eye for talent but horrible cap/pick management skills.
right now we have carter/richards for the price of one of pitt's top two centers. we also have the best dman in the business at a reasonable cap hit (though i admit the extension could be an exploding dye pack, big time). next to no one from a conference champion team is a question mark to return next season.

the deals with briere, timonen and hartnell were all a bang-bang-bang thing and at least two of the three will be fine. i was pretty critical of the briere deal and it's not a big winner but it's not a total loser either. timonen was a fine signing and hartnell was OK, probably be a non-issue as i don't see him playing out the deal.

the drafts, yes he has given away a lot of picks but we'll see what happens with the guys he has selected. already ericsson looks like a steal, for example. i'd be open to criticism there but not overly firm critiques since a lot of things are still up in the air.

Old
05-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If anything it has shown they are going to go with the 3 scoring lines, 1 shutdown line then the 2 scoring lines, a shutdown and a fighting line. I wouldnt hold your breath on the 3rd line center thing. They see Giroux, Briere, and even Powe as centers you can fill in. And being honest, it works so there is no reason to get rid of it. I wouldnt hold your breath if I were you.
We'll see if it works. It was one of the problems in each of the last two playoff series losses against the Pens, and none of the three teams we've played have challenged us on that front. Briere's abortion of attempted defense against the Bruins up in Boston was a key factor in why we were down 3-0 in the first place.

And, ****, my biggest problem with Giroux on the third line is that it isn't maximizing him.

And, so far we've finished 6th, 5th, and 7th (in an extremely weak East)... it's not like we're world beaters with this setup.

Old
05-27-2010, 12:03 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
We'll see if it works. It was one of the problems in each of the last two playoff series losses against the Pens, and none of the three teams we've played have challenged us on that front. Briere's abortion of attempted defense against the Bruins up in Boston was a key factor in why we were down 3-0 in the first place.

And, ****, my biggest problem with Giroux on the third line is that it isn't maximizing him.

And, so far we've finished 6th, 5th, and 7th (in an extremely weak East)... it's not like we're world beaters with this setup.
Ahh come on Jester, you know that playing 3 scoring lines wasnt close to the problem of why we have been finishing in the bottom standings. I highly doubt that if we changed the setup we would have seen a change

Old
05-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
Ahh come on Jester, you know that playing 3 scoring lines wasnt close to the problem of why we have been finishing in the bottom standings. I highly doubt that if we changed the setup we would have seen a change
Actually, I do think it's a reason. I'm a big believer in having defined roles and players that fit those roles. I also think your bottom 6 and the role they can play are very important. Look no further than the celebration of our 4th line and Betts this year. A solid 3rd line provides stability and lets you avoid matching up with your top line to control opponents top lines... so your top lines can go pick low hanging fruit.

Mike Richards played a hellatiously hard shift night-in and night-out this year... you don't think he could put up better offense if he wasn't playing against the oppositions best all the time?

Old
05-27-2010, 12:29 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Actually, I do think it's a reason. I'm a big believer in having defined roles and players that fit those roles. I also think your bottom 6 and the role they can play are very important. Look no further than the celebration of our 4th line and Betts this year. A solid 3rd line provides stability and lets you avoid matching up with your top line to control opponents top lines... so your top lines can go pick low hanging fruit.

Mike Richards played a hellatiously hard shift night-in and night-out this year... you don't think he could put up better offense if he wasn't playing against the oppositions best all the time?
Do you honestly think Hartnell and Briere are on their way out? Even if alot of people scream about it on here, what if it doesnt happen.

Do you still want that 3rd line center, even though he might have players like...Giroux, or JVR, or Leino, or Hartnell on his line? Dont you think that would ruin (JVR and Giroux's) development? How can getting ANOTHER center make an offensive line a shutdown line with the current players we have?

Why not just make the Betts line the shutdown line? You know, use our top penalty killers for that role? Our 4th line = a typical 3rd line. A faceoff winning center, with two shutdown players on the wings. You wanna role with 2 shutdown lines?

After making it to the Stanely Cup finals, I dont see major changes this season. I had a completely different view beforehand, but unless they get 4-0'd, I see barely any changes, and this means converting from 3 scoring lines to 2.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Do you still want that 3rd line center, even though he might have players like...Giroux, or JVR, or Leino, or Hartnell on his line? Dont you think that would ruin (JVR and Giroux's) development? How can getting ANOTHER center make an offensive line a shutdown line with the current players we have?
Lets stop right here with this "ruin their development" stuff. It's BS. Simon Gagne was a key component to a pure checking line that almost carried us to the Cup Finals despite the fact that our entire defensive corps was injured. When his time came to move up the roster to the top 6, was he ruined? No, he popped 40 goals in consecutive seasons.

Quote:
After making it to the Stanely Cup finals, I dont see major changes this season. I had a completely different view beforehand, but unless they get 4-0'd, I see barely any changes, and this means converting from 3 scoring lines to 2.
Well, that's short sighted. Since what just happened on our path to the Cup Finals has literally never happened before as far as how the matchups played out. No matter what happens in the SCF, the three series we just won are a poor indicator of future success in the Eastern Conf. playoffs for this team as currently constructed... we were not tested by the teams we need to measure ourself against.

And while I'm ecstatic we're in the finals for the first time since I was in HS, it doesn't change that fact... and it's going to grow this false sense of security that ignores all the problems we saw throughout the year that led to our 7 seed in the first place.

EDIT: And I agree, it's easier not to change than it is to change... and they'll take the path of least resistance. It'll be a mistake. We still struggle mightily on draws in crunch time (Richards was flat embarrassing against Bergeron, and Toews is almost definitely going to own the faceoff circle against us.)

Last edited by Jester: 05-27-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old
05-27-2010, 06:39 AM
phillyfanatic

Jeste

I won't quote you, but u don't sound very happy with this team? We do have 5 centers that other teams covet! Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux, Betts...that is amazing depth! Mike Richards is best when playing against the other teams vest! The Richards, Carter, Gagne line serves as an offensive #1 line who shutdown the other teAms best! Betts line is a prototypical shutdown line! Giroux is a great two way center and asham is great on the forecheck!

Anyway, this team was constructed for playoff success! Cup final this year, lost to Stanley Cup winner last year and Conference finals the year before! That is homers time in Philly!

Again, on Detroit, my point is all teams that make moves are bound to lose a trade now and then! If u review all of Homers moves, he is batting this .750 or better + our success=great Job by GM

Old
05-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I won't quote you, but u don't sound very happy with this team? We do have 5 centers that other teams covet! Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux, Betts...that is amazing depth! Mike Richards is best when playing against the other teams vest! The Richards, Carter, Gagne line serves as an offensive #1 line who shutdown the other teAms best! Betts line is a prototypical shutdown line! Giroux is a great two way center and asham is great on the forecheck!

Anyway, this team was constructed for playoff success! Cup final this year, lost to Stanley Cup winner last year and Conference finals the year before! That is homers time in Philly!

Again, on Detroit, my point is all teams that make moves are bound to lose a trade now and then! If u review all of Homers moves, he is batting this .750 or better + our success=great Job by GM
\

but if only we had john madden or kris draper, that would make all the difference lol.

to me you cannot look at the situation the flyers were in--a veteran team heading into the lockout, in shambles a year removed from it--and not be thrilled with what's gone on since.

i'm baffled by the armchar QB'ing going on here that takes the smart moves for granted and just trashes anything less. homer is not perfect but if you look at the performance of execs leaguewide since he took over he has to be in the top ten or better.

chicago has done a nice job but they had piles of number one picks and years of non competition, same is true of pittsburgh and washington. colorado rebuilt surprisingly fast and has a promising future, i think they and detroit are still probably the class of the league front office wise, after that i don't see anyone firmly ahead of the flyers though teams like the devils and canucks certianly do fine jobs.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Lets stop right here with this "ruin their development" stuff. It's BS. Simon Gagne was a key component to a pure checking line that almost carried us to the Cup Finals despite the fact that our entire defensive corps was injured. When his time came to move up the roster to the top 6, was he ruined? No, he popped 40 goals in consecutive seasons.

Well, that's short sighted. Since what just happened on our path to the Cup Finals has literally never happened before as far as how the matchups played out. No matter what happens in the SCF, the three series we just won are a poor indicator of future success in the Eastern Conf. playoffs for this team as currently constructed... we were not tested by the teams we need to measure ourself against.

And while I'm ecstatic we're in the finals for the first time since I was in HS, it doesn't change that fact... and it's going to grow this false sense of security that ignores all the problems we saw throughout the year that led to our 7 seed in the first place.

EDIT: And I agree, it's easier not to change than it is to change... and they'll take the path of least resistance. It'll be a mistake. We still struggle mightily on draws in crunch time (Richards was flat embarrassing against Bergeron, and Toews is almost definitely going to own the faceoff circle against us.)
Who was Gagne's linemates? I dont remember for sure, but I am pretty sure its not like someone like Betts or Madden. 3rd line/4th line guys who can put up some points but not many. You didnt answer my other question before the Giroux/JVR thing. Would you still want to roll with a shutdown line even if that line wont have shutdown players?

And on the draws thing, dont we have 3 out of our 4 centers this season over 50% in draws? You dont just grab a center, change up the formation, just because we are losing a few more draws then the other team (I dont know the stats, but it would be interesting to know where we are in regards to win draws vs loss percentage)

Old
05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
\

but if only we had john madden or kris draper, that would make all the difference lol.

to me you cannot look at the situation the flyers were in--a veteran team heading into the lockout, in shambles a year removed from it--and not be thrilled with what's gone on since.

i'm baffled by the armchar QB'ing going on here that takes the smart moves for granted and just trashes anything less. homer is not perfect but if you look at the performance of execs leaguewide since he took over he has to be in the top ten or better.

chicago has done a nice job but they had piles of number one picks and years of non competition, same is true of pittsburgh and washington. colorado rebuilt surprisingly fast and has a promising future, i think they and detroit are still probably the class of the league front office wise, after that i don't see anyone firmly ahead of the flyers though teams like the devils and canucks certianly do fine jobs.
Agreed. The other thing that factors in is, This is PHILLY!! We won't take 5 games of losing, let alone 5 years of not making the Playoffs and finishing last in the league. That is how Pittsburgh, Washington and Chicago built their teams......sucking so bad for so long. When you have to put a winner on the ice every year, it makes things difficult - you are not going to get Crosby, Stamkos, Kane, Malkin, Towes, Staal, Seguin or Hall every year. Edmonton will be an elite team in 2 to 3 years due to being bad for the past few years.

For me, it comes down to two things:

1. Finished product: How do I like the team? ANSWER: Love it
2. Performance: How is the finished product performing: ANSWER: Great. Philly is the third most successful team in the league since Homer took over, when they were last in the NHL.

With that said, am I turning a blind eye? No. But based on the above, I think Homer is doing a great job, certainly worthy of keeping his job.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:09 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
And on the draws thing, dont we have 3 out of our 4 centers this season over 50% in draws? You dont just grab a center, change up the formation, just because we are losing a few more draws then the other team (I dont know the stats, but it would be interesting to know where we are in regards to win draws vs loss percentage)
Regular season:
Richards: 696W, 677L = 50.7%
Carter: 688W, 626L = 52.4%
Betts: 435W, 420L = 50.9
Giroux: 297W, 303L = 49.5%
Powe: 95W, 115L = 45.2%
Pyrola: 95W, 112L = 45.9% (in only 36 games, surprised he took so many).

Playoffs:
Richards: 154W, 181L = 46%
Betts: 124W, 95L = 56.6%
Giroux: 89W, 111L = 44.5%
Briere: 50W, 51L = 49.5%
Carter: 35W, 36L = 49.3%

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote