HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players to the NHL after this championship?

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2010, 06:50 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post
In the finals against Finland, we were down 0-2 after two periods but eventually tied it and Martin Procházka scored the game winning goal in OT.
I still remember Sihvonen's pass which led to Procházkas goal

Old
05-26-2010, 05:00 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arselona View Post
Nummelin is the prototype of a skilled euro too small/soft for NHL. It's already been seen before.
Looking at the success Mark Streit, and a few others, have had in the NHL after the lockout I think its very extremely safe to predict that had Pettri Nummelin, Magnus Johansson and co entered their prime in this era they would have been pretty good NHLers.

Old
05-26-2010, 05:04 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
One of my best hockeymemorys!

Old
05-26-2010, 07:18 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
One of my best hockeymemorys!
I still believe he is either satan or was bought off. I haven't seen ANY semiprofessional or professional player doing that pass in such an important part of the game.

Then again I've seldom seen a hockey player of Sihvonen's talent in the world champs...

And you can probably guess my best hockey memory except for the 95 final (which I saw live)

Old
05-26-2010, 07:46 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts View Post
Sure, but he could wait till after Bufalos training camp. He's a young proven (at DEL level) forward who still count's against the under 25 year rule and doesn't need a foreigner license. He shouldn't have any problems at all to find a financial potent team in the DEL, even in November/December.

I don't hink he'll ever has a chance at the NHL without more AHL seasonig so if he aims for a dircet shot at the NHL he won't ever have a shot at the big league IMO.
Who knows what he has been told about his chances. In Germany he can be a well-paid star. He's close to 24 and he'd be pretty small for a NHL D-man, maybe he's just being realistic.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Party Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
MZA with Rangers? Do you happen to have a link? It can be even Norwegian, thanks.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=318309

Old
05-26-2010, 09:34 AM
ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Who knows what he has been told about his chances. In Germany he can be a well-paid star. He's close to 24 and he'd be pretty small for a NHL D-man, maybe he's just being realistic.
You're talking about Dietrich? 'cause I refered to Gogulla.

For both applies: If they have been told by Buffalo or Nashville that they have no chance at cracking the NHL lineup in the future and are AHL bound, I'm with you and can understand the move. Especially for Dietrich who already has 2 years in the AHL under his belt.

I can see it for Dietrich, he's a little undersized for his position in the NHL and Nashville has good depth in the defense and with Sulzer and Franson he could've been told that he's only number 3 in line for an NHL spot (maybe even as call-up). Nashville also has Blum and Ellis waiting for their shot in the next years.

Gogulla on the other hand potentally has the physical tools needed for his position in the NHL (if he's able to add weight) and he's in a better position as Buffalo right now has less depth on the wings waiting (besides Kasian and maybe Gerbe). I'd be surprised if the Sabres told him after his first year in a new league that he won't ever make it to the NHL.

Old
05-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Wheatking

Jordan Eberle is pretty much a lock for the Oilers. It's his spot to lose.

Old
05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
smitty10

I heard that Patrick Thoresen may be on his way back to the NHL. Last I heard (after the KHL season ended) he was in contract talks with Philly and is seeking a 1-way contract to play in the NHL. Not sure if anything will happen with this as he has another year left on his current KHL contract, but him and his agent believe there is an NHL out clause in it.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:40 AM
Chicagofan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Paajarvi-Svensson, Omark, Persson, Andersson, Markstrom for Sweden
Endras, Holzer for Germany
Stephan for Switzerland
Aaltonen, Vehanen for Finland
this + Ekman-Larsson, Komarov, Josi, Larsen, MZA, Thoresen

Last edited by Chicagofan19: 05-27-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: edit
Old
05-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Chicagofan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts View Post
Sure, but he could wait till after Buffalos training camp. He's a young proven (at DEL level) forward who still count's against the under 25 year rule and doesn't need a foreigner license. He shouldn't have any problems at all to find a financial potent team in the DEL, even in November/December.

I don't hink he'll ever has a chance at the NHL without more AHL seasoning so if he aims for a direct shot at the NHL he won't ever have a shot at the big league IMO.
Indeed. I would say, there's a high probability now, that he'll be never playing NHL in his life.
It's a bit disappointing, that he didn't be patient. He should look at the good examples of Schubert and Sulzer, who had to battle their way through to play NHL-minutes. Especially Schubert.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:01 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan19 View Post
this + Ekman-Larsson, Komarov, Josi, Larsen, MZA, Thoresen
Komarov isn't coming over. I don't think the Leafs have ever offered him a contract and he has another year on his KHL contract before he can come over.

Its sad, but I have a feeling we will never see him come over to play in NA. I can't see him leaving all that money and playing near home to come across the Atlantic to play in the AHL. Just doesn't seem worth it unfortunately.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:11 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Komarov isn't coming over. I don't think the Leafs have ever offered him a contract and he has another year on his KHL contract before he can come over.

Its sad, but I have a feeling we will never see him come over to play in NA. I can't see him leaving all that money and playing near home to come across the Atlantic to play in the AHL. Just doesn't seem worth it unfortunately.
It's weird that they didn't offer him a contract as soon as he was drafted. I bet he would've been willing to play in the AHL back then. He is a player who is completly made for the NHL and North American play.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:42 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post
This is totally right. Even that - as Freaky Euro would say - "glorious Czech golden generation" wouldn't make it without a little bit of luck. In 1999, the team lost 1-6 to Russia in a group game. Thus, in order to advance to the quarterfinals, we needed: first, defeat our long-time Nemesis Sweden in the last group game; and second, we needed Slovakia to at least draw their game with Russia. Earlier in the tournament, the Russians beat us 6-1 and we beat Slovaks in a blowout: 8-2. So it was pretty unlikely that this much needed scenario would actually happen. But against all odds, the Slovaks managed to draw their game with Russia, 2-2. The Russians actually scored the game winning goal, but right after the final buzz so that it was disallowed.
In the semifinals, we beat Canada in the shoot-out. Jan Hlaváč scored the gold-medal winning goal in OT against Finland.
In 2001, the semifinals game against Sweden was almost identical to that from this year. The Czechs drew it later in the third period then won in the shoot-outs. In the finals against Finland, we were down 0-2 after two periods but eventually tied it and Martin Procházka scored the game winning goal in OT.

And of course, I agree that Czech hockey has deep structural problems. Our junior teams are not competitive. Even though we are still able to build an impressively strong senior "A-team", the future (after Sochi) can be dark if the junior system doesn't undercome some major changes.
I don't know how I deserved this much attention, however:
1) Generation of guys like Reichel, Procházka, Patera, Výborný, Ručinský, Dopita etc. was simply a glorious golden generation. Anyone who wants to put 3 golds in a row to luck is crazy. Between 1996 and 2001 Czech Republic won 5 golden medals out of 7 possible (1x Olympics and 4x WCH) and in the years they didn't win they were bronze. If you want to put this on luck, then you are either mentally challenged or svartgul in disguise. And the case of 1999 Slovak 2-2 tie with Russians that was probably the only case of luck we had. Do not put our shootout victories as an example of luck, it is a skill competition. You have to have skill to score on a penalty shot, you have to have the mental strength to remain composed in important moments like this. Both your skaters and goalie needs to show in moments like this. SO is no luck, it's actually a beautiful display of phsychic strength.

2) How can you ever say that 2001 final match was luck? We were 0-2 down but it was a classical textbook comeback. Finns commanded first and second period and then folded both physically and psychically. That's why the game is played for 60 mins. So the team that empties its fuel tank in first 40 mins eventually pays. And BTW it was David Moravec who scored the OT goal, not Martin Procházka (Martin Procházka got us on the scoreboard in the 6th minut of the 3rd period and cut the lead in half 1-2, starting our frantic push for equalizing tally), so I'd recommend you to go refresh your knowledge, o hockey expert.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:53 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
It was David Moravec who scored the OT goal. But Sihvonen really had a terrible match. He was on ice during all 3 Czech goals. He lost the puck to Pavel Patera 10 min. in the OT, Patera passed the puck to Moravec, who deked the goalie.

I see it like it was yesterday. Three golds in a row. Only Russians and Canada can say that as well.

Strange enough couple of years later, I dated a Finnish girl and we were talking about this, it was a unique experience to see it from both sides.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:58 AM
mattihp

Quote:
It was David Moravec who scored the OT goal. But Sihvonen really had a terrible match. He was on ice during all 3 Czech goals. He lost the puck to Pavel Patera 10 min. in the OT, Patera passed the puck to Moravec, who deked the goalie.

I see it like it was yesterday. Three golds in a row. Only Russians and Canada can say that as well.

Strange enough couple of years later, I dated a Finnish girl and we were talking about this, it was a unique experience to see it from both sides.
To be honest that was a good game for a player of Sihvonen's calibre...

Just an awful hockey player.

Old
05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Robotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

Wasn't Komarov released from his deal? After all he was a Dynamo player.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
zorz

Quote:
1) Generation of guys like Reichel, Procházka, Patera, Výborný, Ručinský, Dopita etc. was simply a glorious golden generation. Anyone who wants to put 3 golds in a row to luck is crazy. Between 1996 and 2001 Czech Republic won 5 golden medals out of 7 possible (1x Olympics and 4x WCH) and in the years they didn't win they were bronze. If you want to put this on luck, then you are either mentally challenged or svartgul in disguise. And the case of 1999 Slovak 2-2 tie with Russians that was probably the only case of luck we had. Do not put our shootout victories as an example of luck, it is a skill competition. You have to have skill to score on a penalty shot, you have to have the mental strength to remain composed in important moments like this. Both your skaters and goalie needs to show in moments like this. SO is no luck, it's actually a beautiful display of phsychic strength.
Of course those years weren't luck. We were just owning rest of the world and we will again!

Old
05-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Muuri

2001 final is pretty much definition of finnish hockey. We always choke at gold medal games. World championships 1999 and 2001, World cup 2004, Olympics 2006... the list goes on and on.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Rexor

Quote:

2) How can you ever say that 2001 final match was luck? We were 0-2 down but it was a classical textbook comeback. Finns commanded first and second period and then folded both physically and psychically. That's why the game is played for 60 mins. So the team that empties its fuel tank in first 40 mins eventually pays. And BTW it was David Moravec who scored the OT goal, not Martin Procházka (Martin Procházka got us on the scoreboard in the 6th minut of the 3rd period and cut the lead in half 1-2, starting our frantic push for equalizing tally), so I'd recommend you to go refresh your knowledge, o hockey expert.
I was reacting to Old Man Jags's post not yours, sorry if it confused you.

Quote:
1) Generation of guys like Reichel, Procházka, Patera, Výborný, Ručinský, Dopita etc. was simply a glorious golden generation. Anyone who wants to put 3 golds in a row to luck is crazy.
You must have unintentionally misread my post. I don't claim that their success was based solely on luck. What I claim is:

Quote:
Even that - as Freaky Euro would say - "glorious Czech golden generation" wouldn't make it without a little bit of luck.
I don't know how can anyone have any problems with this.
Mental strentgh and determination are certainly among the traits that help your team in OT or SO but I stick to my belief that these situations can ultimately go either way, especially against strong teams like Finland, Sweden or Canada. Old Man Jags offered some good examples of that.

Old
05-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Andersson is big AND a tremendous skater. Can definitely see him being of interest to a few NHL teams. Time will tell if his game translates.

As for Persson, I felt he was the worst player on the ice in the games against the Czechs and the Germans, which I watched live. At times he was brutal.... weak on his skates, caught doing circles just trying to keep up. Not sure if he was the guy who iced the puck with a no-look backhand attempt at the empty net with 14 seconds to go against the Czechs? I thought it was him.

That was just a sample size though...

You can't be serious???

He was our best forward along with Paajarvi, Omark and Andersson - he outworked everyone on the team.

Old
05-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Tibor

Does anyone know if the Flyers own the rights to Patrick Thoresen?

He had 57 pts in 56 games in the KHL. He was also first in +/- and 2nd in GWG. I think he'd make a solid 3rd liner.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
Does anyone know if the Flyers own the rights to Patrick Thoresen?

He had 57 pts in 56 games in the KHL. He was also first in +/- and 2nd in GWG. I think he'd make a solid 3rd liner.
Yes, apparently they have first refusal rights.

source (in Norwegian, so break out your Google translator)

(poorly translated section): "The Philadelphia Flyers who sit on the rights, and thus have first refusal on the Norwegian Russian pro. At the same time: If Thoresen will go to another NHL club, it must be done before 1 June. This ticking clock."

Apparently he is still under contract with Salavat Yulaev Ufa of the KHL...

Old
05-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Tibor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Yes, apparently they have first refusal rights.

source (in Norwegian, so break out your Google translator)

(poorly translated section): "The Philadelphia Flyers who sit on the rights, and thus have first refusal on the Norwegian Russian pro. At the same time: If Thoresen will go to another NHL club, it must be done before 1 June. This ticking clock."

Apparently he is still under contract with Salavat Yulaev Ufa of the KHL...
Thanks, I like Thoresen a lot and hope to see him in the NHL next year (either the Flyers or somewhere else). This ticking clock indeed.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
Thanks, I like Thoresen a lot and hope to see him in the NHL next year (either the Flyers or somewhere else). This ticking clock indeed.
Hey, no problem. Just so you know, a lot of this kind of info is available from eliteprospects.com (and not just for European players/prospects... it's all there for NHL, AHL, NCAA, etc as well). Below the stats/awards/etc section for each player is a transactions area. If anything involving that player has gone down, there is usually a linked source available (although you often have to break out Google to translate whatever page it gives you).

Closed Thread