Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

The Future of Slovakia Hockey?

Old
05-26-2010, 11:50 PM
MxK1NGS

vCash: 500
The Future of Slovakia Hockey?

What do you guys think will happen to Slovakia in the next decade or so? Many players are getting older and older and I haven't really heard of many young Slovakian players who have decent superstar potential. Will Slovakia have a sudden drop in Hockey or will they have another wave of the Hossa's, Gaborik's(though he still has more time), Palffy's, Handzus's. and so on...

Thanks in advance!

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:55 PM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Well, my crystal ball is currently a bit broken.....

Anyway, I kind of feel some sort of anticipation in the air because of the home WHC 2011, it“s like we“re all just waiting until it happens and then we“ll see whether there is some way out for the future or whether the story is over.

Also, 2011 should be the year of elections to SZĽH (the Slovak Ice Hockey Federation) and we will see whether Mr. Širokż, SZĽH chairman will finally lose ground. Most fans probably think that he will hold onto his chair until forever, but then again none of us believed that Mr.Laurinec, the chairman of the Slovak soccer federation would not actually even run for the federations elections this year. But even with Širokż gone, there still is the question who would replace him and whether that person would be any better. Sadly, I just don“t see any person in Slovak hockey who would be interested in the job, is capable of doing it and doesn“t have any political connections.

Also, it will be interesting to see what kind of mark Glen Hanlon will leave on the country over the four years if he stays for that long that is. A while ago not many of us believed that SZLH would actually be capable of appointing a foreign coach, so now they actually have, it might be a sign that they are willing to learn from the other countries on other fronts as well, I have youth hockey in my mind of course.

But even if I try to see those things I wrote so far in the most positive light, if the governments don“t change their whole attitude and support not only towards hockey, but all sports, we can“t go anywhere. The whole system of financing sports is just utterly wrong, or better said dysfunctional compared to what the one of Czechoslovakia once was. Plus there“s those additional things as building rinks that we lack, widening the players base which we also lack and quality youth coaches who will not prefer someone just because the kid“s parents cash money into their pockets or the pockets of their team.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote