HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Benoit Hogue, Belak, Webb and Friday's waiver draft

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 02:41 PM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Benoit Hogue, Belak, Webb and Friday's waiver draft

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=55622

Blue Jackets release Hogue

After sitting out last season, Hogue tried to make the Blue Jackets' roster this fall.

If Stirling finds no one he likes for a 13th forward, maybe Isles sign him to an AHL-contract? He has played in a lot of pickup games and always seems to be around the Island.

With Belak shifting from forward to defense with Bridgeport maybe this opens a forward spot for Steve Webb with the Tigers.

Friday could bring some big surprises. Will be interesting to see what players the Isles do not protect or who is going to left open around the league just because of salary. Sutton was signed and by the end of his first camp the Isles put him on waivers.

Maybe one of the extra goalies in Bgpt are placed on waivers also with some kind of combo of Timmander, Butenschon, Manlow or Bates finds himself listed.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:16 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

Maybe one of the extra goalies in Bgpt are placed on waivers also with some kind of combo of Timmander, Butenschon, Manlow or Bates finds himself listed.
I doubt Bates is exposed. He makes around 700K and has proved to be a very versatile player for this team. If the argument is to let a BST player take his spot, then you could assume that Bates does have draft pick type trade value. However, having Bates on the 3rd/4th line or on PK (not on the point for PP!) is a great asset to a team that will roll 4 lines this year.

Timander will be exposed...same with Manlow...how about Letang?

I think Sterling really likes Butenschon and will not be exposed. Sven will prove useful as a 6th/7th d-man for this squad or injury replacement coming out of BST (much like last year)

Old
09-30-2003, 04:25 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

Friday could bring some big surprises. Will be interesting to see what players the Isles do not protect or who is going to left open around the league just because of salary. Sutton was signed and by the end of his first camp the Isles put him on waivers.

I don't think the unprotected list is going to be as suprising as many think. The players exposed will be similar to those of past waiver drafts with a few oddities in there. Why? b/c the waiver draft is a dumping grounds for the unwanted...you expose a high player for salary purposes and he is not picked up, you have a public relations/player relations nightmare on your hands....Remember the turmoil over when Hasek was brought in to replace Osgood, and again with Cujo, or when TOR signed Cujo and had Potvin hanging around for half a season....basically, if the Osgood exposure backfired (nobody picked him up) you would fall into the Cujo/Potvin show that happened in TOR.

When exposing players in the waiver draft, they are usually 3rd/4th liners or extenuating circumstances for a solid NHLer (Osgood)...Exposing someone like Sutton, in all fairness, no one cares (except Stan) b/c he does not have an impact on the team internally/externally and will play a minor role on his new team...but a NHL impact player is a different story....one that few teams are willing to expose themselves to.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:37 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
I don't think the unprotected list is going to be as suprising as many think. The players exposed will be similar to those of past waiver drafts with a few oddities in there. Why? b/c the waiver draft is a dumping grounds for the unwanted...you expose a high player for salary purposes and he is not picked up, you have a public relations/player relations nightmare on your hands....Remember the turmoil over when Hasek was brought in to replace Osgood, and again with Cujo, or when TOR signed Cujo and had Potvin hanging around for half a season....basically, if the Osgood exposure backfired (nobody picked him up) you would fall into the Cujo/Potvin show that happened in TOR.

When exposing players in the waiver draft, they are usually 3rd/4th liners or extenuating circumstances for a solid NHLer (Osgood)...Exposing someone like Sutton, in all fairness, no one cares (except Stan) b/c he does not have an impact on the team internally/externally and will play a minor role on his new team...but a NHL impact player is a different story....one that few teams are willing to expose themselves to.
Good points. The thing with Sutton was always the decision making behind the move. MM handed him a two year deal, and almost from day one of camp was on the way out and placed on waivers.

The thing that has me most curious about this year is the goaltending. Phoenix has to put Zach Bierk or Boucher in because they still have Sean Burke.

Detroit has Legace and may just have to keep both high priced goalies. Buffalo still has three goalies (Miller, Biron, Noronen) but most likely do not have to expose any of the three.

Old
09-30-2003, 09:44 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Good points. The thing with Sutton was always the decision making behind the move. MM handed him a two year deal, and almost from day one of camp was on the way out and placed on waivers.

The thing that has me most curious about this year is the goaltending. Phoenix has to put Zach Bierk or Boucher in because they still have Sean Burke.

Detroit has Legace and may just have to keep both high priced goalies. Buffalo still has three goalies (Miller, Biron, Noronen) but most likely do not have to expose any of the three.
Sutton was just a weird situation...it seemed like the isles were just trying to get as much depth as possible. I agree that MM wanted nothing to do with him...

Moreover, i think you also point out several interesting goaltending sitatuations...

Yotes - i think the value of Bierk is a lot higher in the media than among the GM's of the league. Boucher is making like 2 mil for a 1A/playoff experienced backup. However, he has proven in PHO that he can't become a #1 goalie, so is there a market for him? I don't think there is. I beleive he will be exposed.

Det - the situtation speaks for itself. Cujo will be exposed with no takers. I don't think this devalues him on the trade front though. Legace is a keeper and may become #1 in two years for Det.

Buf - Miller is like DP, not included. i believe the same for Noronen. Buf will protect Biron. Unfortunately, Biron has never reached expectations, Noronen is really untested and they seem to be leaning towards Miller as a starter soon. What Buf needs is to trade Noronen/Biron and (maybe not in the same deal) get a veteran backup to platoon with Miller. Like Snow/DiPietro; Tugnutt/Turco

we'll see, but i think the waiver wire will be less exciting than most think...but i like your points about where the excitement may come from.

i think Timander will get picked up by ATL (not b/c of the accident)...they have two proven NHL d-men back there.. the rest are '75 draft year...too young IMO.

Closed Thread