Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First hockey clinic tonight

05-27-2010, 07:15 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
Thats not necessarily true. Skating is the most important thing in hockey and whenever you can skate you should do it. Say there aren't any pick up games or clinics or lessons within 3 hours of you, but you can still skate at a rink. Not skating would be a dumb thing to do; skate all the time and you will see improvements.
I'm saying, my first foray at skating lessons had no prospect of hockey at any point in the future, and so it was kind of meaningless for me and I didn't get anywhere

...8 years later though, I bought all the equipment and joined a beginner hockey league, and soon after signed up for learn to skate to play hockey, plus got a job scorekeeping at the rink, and I quickly became a decent hockey player for my experience level.

Skating is good, but you need the hockey as well, they go hand in hand.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 05-27-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
05-27-2010, 09:20 PM
any chance your talking about the clinic at ice town in riverside?

gogio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
05-28-2010, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by gogio57 View Post
any chance your talking about the clinic at ice town in riverside?
thats exactly what I'm talking about

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
05-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Westminster Ice has adult hockey clinics around 8:40 or so and is an hour and a half. Price is only 20 bucks.

They are working on skating, stopping, and all other fundamentals. You may want to look into it due to everyone being in the same boat as you are and have just started playing the sport.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
05-29-2010, 06:14 PM
I can not even imagine what it would feel like to get the gear on for the first time as an adult.
It`s a huge step, at least for me it was. I had new skates that weren`t sharpened properly, my stick was waaaaay to short, I had a helmet with a full plastic visor, so I couldn't hear anyone speak, just the heavy breathing of me having the lung capacity of an hamster

You are going to love the progress you will make, just hang in there. I have orthopedic soles as well and I put them in my skates. The first month I was in pain, but if you skate on a regular basis you`ll get used to it.

denace is offline   Reply With Quote
05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Going to my first hockey clinic tonight!

I've never ever played, just bought some equipment, and am ready to go. I'm not a very good skater, but I'm at least pretty comfortable during open skating sessions.

Ya I was 33 when I first skated and took an adult clinic. 17 years later I can say the best thing I did was go to a ton of public sessions to work on my skating, still do. I played football and ran track in college so eye hand wasnt an issue.

It is all about skating, skating, skating.

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote