HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Raising Ticket Prices

Old
05-27-2010, 10:04 PM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Could be worse. Just read somewhere that Dodgers season tickets are something like $32000 (no, I didn't add any zeros in there).
Well, there's 2x more games and where are the seats ?

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Well, there's 2x more games and where are the seats ?
Behind the dugout, I believe.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Could be worse. Just read somewhere that Dodgers season tickets are something like $32000 (no, I didn't add any zeros in there).
yeah... but the Dodgers are sueing a "large group of people" including Jon Lovitz for failing to pay season tickets

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Darth Joker

I don't mind this when the team has a good year/good playoffs, like the Habs did.

It's when ticket prices are raised in spite of a team stinking up the joint that it seems wrong to me.

Also, this makes sense economically as the Habs have a very large and passionate fanbase.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

"We will increase ticket prices but it is directly related to the growth of the economy."

That's GarySpeak for "We need that extra money from Montréal and Toronto to keep Tampa and Pheonix afloat."

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:10 AM
willalong

Maximizing profits is the name of the game.

Feed the addiction, grab what you can.

Donating nothing is my game, not being a sucker.

Throwing thousands of dollars away every year for what?

The rich get richer and the poor get stupid'er

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:17 AM
willalong

Growth in the economy?

More like growth of the NHL, the brand name "Montreal Canadiens" and the multi millionaire hockey players.

Just to feed a fantasy that died with "Rocket Richard".

The players, the stars, as everyday people. They are so far removed from the "great unwashed" as you could get.

You can see us if you pay for it. I will sign your "hockey card" if you play for it. I will do community work if it is enforced in the contract.

Loyalty....highest bidder thank you.

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:00 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'm not saying that I wouldn't raise ticket prices, did you read my posts?

I am saying that what Geoff Molson is saying ( that ticket prices are going up is a direct result of the economy ) is BS. Inflation is not 6% +

Ticket prices are going up because of supply and demand - but as an owner, it's easier to blame it on inflation.

He's probably speaking about the teams inflation. We know how their property taxes
are through the roof and always going up.I also believe they have a new water tax
this year.

All this to say, someone has to pay for the Sunbelt teams

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:01 AM
angry pirate

Quote:
I'm not saying that I wouldn't raise ticket prices, did you read my posts?

I am saying that what Geoff Molson is saying ( that ticket prices are going up is a direct result of the economy ) is BS. Inflation is not 6% +

Ticket prices are going up because of supply and demand - but as an owner, it's easier to blame it on inflation.
Blaming it on the economy and blaming it on inflation are separate issues. Inflation is just a single aspect of what our economy encompasses. If we say inflation is 3% which actually might be understating it a bit this year but it is the accepted average for a usual year. Than they are raising ticket prices by about 3% as profit. What the Molson's mean by saying they are raising based on the economy is; During a recession people are less likely to spend their disposable income and more likely too save it. It appears that we may be on our way out of this recession so as people start to tone down saving and begin to spend more we'll see prices begin to rise. It won't just be ticket prices. We've seen massive sales almost year round at lots of different stores, those are going to start winding down too. Molson's are predicting that people are going to be willing to spend more of their disposable income next year and have raised ticket prices accordingly. It sucks for us, but it's normal. I'm middle class but paid 325 bucks for a 100 (estimate, can't remember the exact price) dollar playoff ticket. so them raising the prices by 3% makes sense.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:08 AM
HF fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanp316 View Post
As a season ticket holder for the past 5 Habs seasons, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

In fact every year the prices increase...BUT I will say this. This year it has increased much more than previous years.

I have Greys. When I first started paying for them they were 2750$ for the pair. Last year they were about 3k even. This year it's over 3200$...I was actually surprised by the increase.

It's not a huge deal really. 100$ more a pair is nothing compared to the run we had this playoffs. I just wish that if he have a bad season they decrease the prices! But we know that won't happen, just look at the laffs!
Do you have any idea what the waiting list is exactley for season tickets? And if tickets regularly become available?

HF fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:17 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
He's probably speaking about the teams inflation. We know how their property taxes
are through the roof and always going up.I also believe they have a new water tax
this year.

All this to say, someone has to pay for the Sunbelt teams
Any increase in property tax is far too marginal to have an effect on ticket prices imo. If property taxes go up, we're looking at increase of 6 figures max (even though the total may be 7 or 8 figures long). (ex: 8 Million + 10% increase = 800K). $800K is a piss in an ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
Blaming it on the economy and blaming it on inflation are separate issues. Inflation is just a single aspect of what our economy encompasses. If we say inflation is 3% which actually might be understating it a bit this year but it is the accepted average for a usual year. Than they are raising ticket prices by about 3% as profit. What the Molson's mean by saying they are raising based on the economy is; During a recession people are less likely to spend their disposable income and more likely too save it. It appears that we may be on our way out of this recession so as people start to tone down saving and begin to spend more we'll see prices begin to rise. It won't just be ticket prices. We've seen massive sales almost year round at lots of different stores, those are going to start winding down too. Molson's are predicting that people are going to be willing to spend more of their disposable income next year and have raised ticket prices accordingly. It sucks for us, but it's normal. I'm middle class but paid 325 bucks for a 100 (estimate, can't remember the exact price) dollar playoff ticket. so them raising the prices by 3% makes sense.
But, again, for the 10th time ( ) ticket prices are NOT going up by 3%. A poster noted above how his grey's are going up by 6.67%, quite possible that increases are even higher for other sections.

I don't blame them for raising prices, but I don't know why they are trying to make an excuse for it. I guess they rather make the fans think that they have "no choice" by blaming it on the "growth of the economy".

As for our economy picking up steam - I am not too convinced. I haven't been following the news very much lately, but what I do see are equity markets falling big time, and this includes Canadian stocks. Again, I don't follow the news lately, but if we want to use stocks as an indicator - I don't see why we should be so confident that the economy will be stronger next year. If someone can chime in and inform me of why there'll be growth I'd appreciate it.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
chuckdobbins

another thing to consider is the possible outdoor game in calgary. i am curious if montreal season ticket holders will be given any priority access. if they are, it's a huge perk and one that will make people willing to fork over a bit more for their season tickets.

chuckdobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:08 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
another thing to consider is the possible outdoor game in calgary. i am curious if montreal season ticket holders will be given any priority access. if they are, it's a huge perk and one that will make people willing to fork over a bit more for their season tickets.
I see no link between having access to tickets in Calgary when you paid for Montreal...
its an away game

there is 2000 peoples who are in waiting list for each section (total 15023)

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/l_fr/page.htm?id=52468

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:52 AM
seanp316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie B View Post
Do you have any idea what the waiting list is exactley for season tickets? And if tickets regularly become available?
Yes...Mattie I do. My Canadiens representative told me at this point it's a 50 year wait! This is because there's about 1500 people on the waiting list. Apparently in the past 3 years...every year 99.6% (or something like that) of season ticket holders keep their seats. So imagine how long it would take for 1500 people to get a pair of tickets.

15000 seats are owned my season ticket holders. So ya it's going to be a long wait if you just put yourself on the list. Plus you have to pay to be on it!

seanp316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:11 AM
angry pirate

Quote:
Any increase in property tax is far too marginal to have an effect on ticket prices imo. If property taxes go up, we're looking at increase of 6 figures max (even though the total may be 7 or 8 figures long). (ex: 8 Million + 10% increase = 800K). $800K is a piss in an ocean.

But, again, for the 10th time ( ) ticket prices are NOT going up by 3%. A poster noted above how his grey's are going up by 6.67%, quite possible that increases are even higher for other sections.

I don't blame them for raising prices, but I don't know why they are trying to make an excuse for it. I guess they rather make the fans think that they have "no choice" by blaming it on the "growth of the economy".

As for our economy picking up steam - I am not too convinced. I haven't been following the news very much lately, but what I do see are equity markets falling big time, and this includes Canadian stocks. Again, I don't follow the news lately, but if we want to use stocks as an indicator - I don't see why we should be so confident that the economy will be stronger next year. If someone can chime in and inform me of why there'll be growth I'd appreciate it.
you misinterpreted my post i think. I know they are going up by about 6%. 3 and 3 is 6. 3% is inflation, no profit in inflation. 3% is for profit.

Old
05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
you misinterpreted my post i think. I know they are going up by about 6%. 3 and 3 is 6. 3% is inflation, no profit in inflation. 3% is for profit.
My bad. Ya, 3 % percent increase, in addition to inflation, total 6 %. Why did Molson lie though? He said the increase is directly related the growth of the economy - is the economy really growing? Stock markets are down 10 % this month or something.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Bieber fever

the only reason why they raise ticket price it's because we live in quebec , and they get ripped off by 1000000000000000000000000 taxes.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 08:45 AM
angry pirate

Quote:
My bad. Ya, 3 % percent increase, in addition to inflation, total 6 %. Why did Molson lie though? He said the increase is directly related the growth of the economy - is the economy really growing? Stock markets are down 10 % this month or something.
It's really tough to judge right now. Some experts are saying were almost out, while others are saying that we might not have positive growth for another year. Markets are down in the short term (my poor investments ) but compared to this time last year the markets are up. I think the Molson's are right, the economy is showing signs of recovery, but it's also in their interest to take that position since they can use it as an excuse to raise ticket prices. Truth of the matter is, whether or not they raise ticket prices and whether or not the economy recovers, the bell center will be sold out so this was coming anyways. we all know if they can sell it for more they are going too.

Old
05-29-2010, 01:51 PM
macavoy

You guys are over reacting imo. If ticket prices went up 25%, I'd still buy them.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote