HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the price was right, would you consider moving Markov?

View Poll Results: Trade Andrei Markov?
I would, if the price was right. (Read: A high return) 50 60.24%
Maybe, although probably only around the deadline 3 3.61%
No, never! In fact extend his contract! 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
If the price was right, would you consider moving Markov?

Yes, yes. I understand the importance of his role on our blueline however we cannot deny his value has steadily improved over the previous years, in spite of his injuries. With decent UFA defensemen available and the possibility Markov may be injury prone, I have pondered the possibilities of what he could bring. In another post discussing Vancouver's defensive woes, I noted their ridiculous forward depth and while Ryan Kesler is nigh untouchable, there are quite a number of options we could pluck away. Hell maybe Kesler would be available if Markov signed long term since they do have Hodgson on the raise.

Nonetheless just speculation, however would you move Markov for the right price and if so, what would it be?

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Only if you think we are in need of a full scale rebuild, and I'll save you the thinking... we aren't.

If anyone's trading for Markov, it means they're going for the cup so they're not trading away any key pieces to their team when they can still get top notch defensemen on the FA market. The only pieces you'll get back for Markov is a decent, young roster player and a couple of (late) first round picks considering Markov is set to be a UFA after next season.

It doesn't really matter what you believe Markov to be worth (as in the first option), because that's all you'll get from a contending team.

Last edited by Playmaker09: 05-28-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
If we can get Doughty, Keith or Shea Weber yes but otherwise never !!

Markov has been habs MVP since the lockout !

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Reiher

This kind of question is really quite lame. It would be like if I told you, if you could sell your kidney for a million dollars and there would be no repercussion what so ever physically, medically, mentally or legally would you do it?

Reiher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:39 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiher View Post
This kind of question is really quite lame. It would be like if I told you, if you could sell your kidney for a million dollars and there would be no repercussion what so ever physically, medically, mentally or legally would you do it?
Are you saying you want my kidney?

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:45 AM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiher View Post
Yes? My girlfriend said wants to sell hers too.Where do we sign up?

wesott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:38 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Nope. Markov is and has been our best player for ages now, and one injury riddled year should not be enough to forget that.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:14 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
If Phil Kessel a one time 40 goal scorerer can get 2 1sts, and 2 2nds, then I want something in that same vicinity. You can thank Brian Burke for setting the standard so high. Markov is a top 5 Dman, our best player, and a key component on our team. I'd want something like a proven roster player/star prospect+a 1st. Otherwise keep Markov until they are blue in the face.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:39 AM
habshound247

If Gauthier can't agree to a long-term extension with Markov before the 2011 trade deadline, it would be prudent to consider dealing him. With the KHL, it gives Markov an alternative to the NHL. Personally, I would love to keep him, as he and Subban make a very nice pair of puck movers on the back end. As for compensation, you WILL NOT get fair value. Very seldom does trading a superstar bring back an equal return.

habshound247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:40 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Yes, yes. I understand the importance of his role on our blueline however we cannot deny his value has steadily improved over the previous years, in spite of his injuries. With decent UFA defensemen available and the possibility Markov may be injury prone, I have pondered the possibilities of what he could bring. In another post discussing Vancouver's defensive woes, I noted their ridiculous forward depth and while Ryan Kesler is nigh untouchable, there are quite a number of options we could pluck away. Hell maybe Kesler would be available if Markov signed long term since they do have Hodgson on the raise.

Nonetheless just speculation, however would you move Markov for the right price and if so, what would it be?
Keep Markov, I would want my defense to stay as good as I can get it. Black Hawks and Flyers have best set of defensemen in league look where they are?

I can't see Markov having high trade value given he likely will miss first 2 months of next season and most coming back from ACL takes 6 months after that to reach 100% again.

But if a GM is dumb enough to throw a collasal offer at us...I would consider it

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:50 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
If Phil Kessel a one time 40 goal scorerer can get 2 1sts, and 2 2nds, then I want something in that same vicinity. You can thank Brian Burke for setting the standard so high. Markov is a top 5 Dman, our best player, and a key component on our team. I'd want something like a proven roster player/star prospect+a 1st. Otherwise keep Markov until they are blue in the face.
Leafs didn't give up 2 second round picks in Kessel trade, just one in 2010

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Pascal

what in the world you could you get for him that would be more beneficial to us than what he brings? The only thing i could think of is a big #1 C and there's like a handful of those in the NHL and most of their teams (if not all) would never deal them.

shoulda picked Getzlaf

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Anyone that wants him traded needs to remember how hilarious our PP was without him in the playoffs.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Corey

Trading Markov would probably mean giving up on next season. I don't accept the notion that Subban makes Markov expendable, So, trading Markov would indicate that Gauthier is looking a few years into the future. That doesn't seem logical because of the present ages of Gomez, Gionta, and Cammalleri. Those three can't last forever.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Patty Roy

Absolutely. I'd move anyone for the right price.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Agreed with the post above me,if you think a deal on the table makes you a better team you gotta go ahead and make the move.I wouldn't trade a guy like Markov just to make cap room,but for a solid return I would,no one is untouchable for the right price

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Masao

If Rejean Houle was GM, Markov would already have been moved

Probably in return for Justin Papineau

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I voted "No". Because, really, the price will never be right. If the price really was right, you'd move anybody of course, and you wouldn't need a poll for that. But our price is going to beat anything anybody actually offers, so it's a meaningless word game. Just vote "No".

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I would move him for the "right price" but taht right price is Doughty Keith backstrom(Wash) or Weber.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I voted "No". Because, really, the price will never be right. If the price really was right, you'd move anybody of course, and you wouldn't need a poll for that. But our price is going to beat anything anybody actually offers, so it's a meaningless word game. Just vote "No".
Completely agree with you. When you trade a high profil player like Markov, the return is never very great... Guys, you have to look at the past and you will see...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post

If the great one can get traded, Markov can to....to a massive over payement.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I would move him for the "right price" but taht right price is Doughty Keith backstrom(Wash) or Weber.
It isn't the right price because this return isn't a right price, it's pure dreaming, not realistic at all.

The right price for Markov doesn't exist because nobody would want to give the right price for him...

Old
05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Coldplay
Courage

I voted maybe because if we get offered some ridiculous player like Doughty/Weber (which I don't think we will), I'd probably do it, especially if Markov is still getting injured.

I love the guy, don't get me wrong. I'd trade him for Doughty in a hearbeat though, not sure LA would.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I voted maybe because if we get offered some ridiculous player like Doughty/Weber (which I don't think we will), I'd probably do it, especially if Markov is still getting injured.

I love the guy, don't get me wrong. I'd trade him for Doughty in a hearbeat though, not sure LA would.
It isn't a scenario. Come on guys, don't put this kind of option, it isn't realistic at all... Don't consider that kind of *** for your answer...

Old
05-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Teufelsdreck

Those who drool over the great young players the Habs could get for Markov are enjoying, as James Joyce so neatly put it, "a honeymoon in the hand."

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote