HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jay Harrison

Old
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 731
Jay Harrison

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Jay Harrison on a one-year contract. The deal will pay him $500,000 in 2010-11.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:31 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 500
well damn. Unless we're bringing him back to be our #7 then that's all she wrote for Pothier.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:31 AM
UnPLEASED Anton

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaberlay View Post
QFT.

If this is a 7th d-man kind of deal, it's a whatever signing.

If this is to put Harrison in our top 6 for next year, I'm assuming we're throwing in the towel on next year until we make another D move.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

NO...

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Joe McGrath

If this guy plays 40+ games with the Canes next year, I'm going to require a lot more beer, or perhaps move straight to whiskey.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 731
You guys should be happy! You know very well we need someone on the team that can actually win a fight... Now we have our guy!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:44 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
You guys should be happy! You know very well we need someone on the team that can actually win a fight... Now we have our guy!
this thread is about Harrison, not Tim Gleason.

Old
05-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Holy **** JR is a moron at times... It's a one way deal too isn't it?

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:48 AM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
If this guy plays 40+ games with the Canes next year, I'm going to require a lot more beer, or perhaps move straight to whiskey.
If that is the case, you might be pushing up daisies before he plays 40 games.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Joe McGrath

If Harrison is the 7th d-man there is nothing wrong with this signing. You are stating your intentions are for him to play when Gleason inevitably gets hurt and you are paying close to the league minimum. You also aren't stunting the growth of guys like Rodney and Borer by having them on the roster but not playing in game situations. If he plays 20-30 games as a fill in for injuries, he's a veteran, he will fight, and he will not be good. But that's the job of the 7th defenseman. If they were any good they wouldn't a healthy scratch most nights.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:55 AM
caniac247

I said a few explicit words when I saw the tweet coming back from lunch. Not happy about this at all. As a #7 fine, but this is JR and he'll likely be our 3rd pair guy. You know gotta go cheap and Potheir probably didn't want to sign for this cheap.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 12:00 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

At least it was only for $500k. The only damage he can do is on the ice.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 12:10 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

I see that JR is still ascribing to the "toughness >>>> ability to play hockey" belief.

Jay Harrison is useless. What good is "toughness" when you are a liability every shift? It would be a different story if he was a forward playing in the Tim Conboy role, but we all know he'll be our 6th defenseman and get plently of opportunities to embarass himself.

Yay. Another year of our D getting outskated by every forward in the NHL, rimming pucks around the boards, off the glass, passing into teammates' skates and killing any offensive chance by firing it into a defender's shinpads.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:06 PM
WWAD

Jay Harrison is not and never will be an NHL caliber player. I don't get it. This is just a waste of a roster spot.

Our defense is in serious trouble next year.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:14 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Great move .

Now, sign Aaron Ward for two years.
Then, sign Andy Sutton for two years.
Then, trade Joni Pitkanen for Boris Valabik

Harrison- Ward [ elite first pairing shutdown pairing ]
Sutton- Gleason
Valabik- Rodney
McBain as a 7th. He's not ready for NHL minutes, he's not ready for top 4 role. Gormley, our first pick this year, in AHL. He's not ready!

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Jay Harrison takes a lot of undue heat on this board. I highly suspect he was playing the majority of the year with injuries that prevented him from playing as well as he would have liked. It's encouraging that he didn't go back to Europe because I think he can be a solid bottom pairing guy. His skating isn't terrible, he plays a physical brand of hockey, and his offensive abilities are somewhat underrated.

For some reason, he didn't get the same amount of rope that guys that grew up in our system did like Brett Carson. Age is certainly a factor, but it's not like Harrison is ancient either. Hell, even Bryan Rodney is exempt from a certain amount of criticism and those guys are virtually the same age.

I will say this. He looked better or at least on par with Alberts for the majority of the time in the first 15-20 games he played, but admittedly there was a drop in quality of play after that which may be attributed to injuries. Either that or the speed of the game at the NHL level simply because he doesn't have the experience needed to bring it consistently.

I honestly don't think it's a lack of skill that is keeping him from being a good bottom pairing defender. I think it's a lack of polish that is really the problem.

I am convinced that 50% or more of being an effective defensive defender is the mental investment by that player to be receptive to coaching and learning how to react in certain situations. It's a muscle memory type thing when you see certain plays developing to treat them a certain way, which is why it is RARE to see young defenders with a great grasp of their own zone. That ability to react smartly can bridge the gap between more talented players.

I am obviously in the minority of one when I say that I really liked the progression that I saw in Harrison's game as the year wore on. In Albany, he really seemed to get it back on track and was playing in all situations there and that confidence really helped him. Harrison started out really well, faded into obscurity, and then finished it out strong in my opinion. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a full season under his belt in our system.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:30 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Palm to face.

Yeah, sure Harrison isn't as horrible as people make him out to be (hell, rarely any player is as horrible people make them out to be on HFboards) but if you look to successful teams (such as the teams that made it to the Conference finals), you don't see any players of Harrison's caliber and journeyman AHL/NHL status. To me he's a 7th defender you can maybe get by a few games with as a 5/6th d-man and nothing more. It's just like he has cement weighing down his skates at times.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:41 PM
bleedgreen

im not upset about it. i think he is fine as a 7th, but id like the ability to send him down. at this point he mightve gotten a cheap one way somewhere else. i dont think its out of place, and it shouldnt effect pothier - he is not signing for less than 2 mill anyway. it creates competition for borer, but i think we all know he has to prove himself a little more anyway. i know technically you are only as strong as your weakest link, but in the canes case i think our weakness at d is up top. we need top 4 guys, and until we know for sure that jr's idea of top 4 is babs instead of pothier/ufa/trade we have to be patient. depth at defense is what gets you deep into the playoffs. harrison has his purpose and this move should only be judged when we know what our d will look like as a whole next season. its league minimum, the more guys we have at that rate the better long term for us, and gives us hope for more cash to spend in other areas. this is the roster spot guys like kaberle and wallin were taking up at a significantly higher price. your last two or three guys on d SHOULD be league minimums these days.

my big concern is picard. i would let him walk, he doesnt add anything at this point. i was unimpressed and he will likely command a lot more than 500k.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:47 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
im not upset about it. i think he is fine as a 7th, but id like the ability to send him down. at this point he mightve gotten a cheap one way somewhere else. i dont think its out of place, and it shouldnt effect pothier - he is not signing for less than 2 mill anyway. it creates competition for borer, but i think we all know he has to prove himself a little more anyway. i know technically you are only as strong as your weakest link, but in the canes case i think our weakness at d is up top. we need top 4 guys, and until we know for sure that jr's idea of top 4 is babs instead of pothier/ufa/trade we have to be patient. depth at defense is what gets you deep into the playoffs. harrison has his purpose and this move should only be judged when we know what our d will look like as a whole next season. its league minimum, the more guys we have at that rate the better long term for us, and gives us hope for more cash to spend in other areas. this is the roster spot guys like kaberle and wallin were taking up at a significantly higher price. your last two or three guys on d SHOULD be league minimums these days.

my big concern is picard. i would let him walk, he doesnt add anything at this point. i was unimpressed and he will likely command a lot more than 500k.
I really hope you're right on the Pothier front. I'm not that optimistic given what JR has been saying this offseason but I'm hopeful. Another year in the AHL for Borer as he recovers can't be a bad thing.

As for Picard, the required QO is 800K (I think, could be a bit more) and he was already on a one-way deal so he wouldn't be inclined to "pull a Tlusty" for the guaranteed money.

Old
05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I think Picard is gone. He's completely useless in every way. I'm not sure what redeeming quality he has. He can skate pretty well for a d-man but that's about it. He can't run a PP, can't play the PK, is soft as charmin, and makes some boneheaded decisions at 5 on 5. I had some hope a change of scenery was what he needed, but it's a lot more than that he needs...

Old
05-28-2010, 03:56 PM
totalkev

I'm getting really close to the edge right now. Is Jay Harrison the worst player in the world? No. Has Jiri Tlusty been given a legit shot? Probably not. But the question is if the Canes are any better with these two guys on the roster. Maybe Harrison was hurt, great. The bottom line is that guys like him are a dime-a-dozen. JR has to do something to make this team *better* and I haven't seen anything that fits this description as of yet. Do Harrison and Tlusty on one-way deals make us better? I don't think so.

I know it's early, but it's already well down the path of looking the same as it ever was ...

totalkev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
straka91*

Is this board all about points/offense and no toughness, geez. lol He will be a good #7, maybe #6 if he improves over the summer.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:07 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I'm getting really close to the edge right now. Is Jay Harrison the worst player in the world? No. Has Jiri Tlusty been given a legit shot? Probably not. But the question is if the Canes are any better with these two guys on the roster. Maybe Harrison was hurt, great. The bottom line is that guys like him are a dime-a-dozen. JR has to do something to make this team *better* and I haven't seen anything that fits this description as of yet. Do Harrison and Tlusty on one-way deals make us better? I don't think so.

I know it's early, but it's already well down the path of looking the same as it ever was ...
Did you really expect us to bring in any big name guys? We have way too many horrible contracts weighing us down. Next offseason is the offseason we may finally be able to do something in FA. And I'm pretty sure JR's rationale behind these signings isn't because he thought we would be become a better team because of them. We have holes on the roster to fill with limited resources to do it, so resigning guys internally or cheap FAs is what we have to do this year.

Old
05-28-2010, 04:17 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
Did you really expect us to bring in any big name guys? We have way too many horrible contracts weighing us down. Next offseason is the offseason we may finally be able to do something in FA. And I'm pretty sure JR's rationale behind these signings isn't because he thought we would be become a better team because of them. We have holes on the roster to fill with limited resources to do it, so resigning guys internally or cheap FAs is what we have to do this year.
No, I don't expect big names, I also don't expect us to basically guarantee roster spots to journeymen AHLers, either. There's no need to give Jay Harrison a one-way contract. There are a thousand Jay Harrison's out there. Why intentionally hamstring yourself with a one-way contract?

And *this* offseason should have been our big offseason, with Ward, Walker, Corvo, Whitney, Cullen and Wallin coming off the books. It's not my fault JR gave Cole a ridiculous contract last summer that messed up this summer. It's not my fault he gave Brindy two too many years in 2006. JR is doing this to himself. Don't tell me we can't afford any big names. We can't afford them because JR keeps spending himself into a corner.

totalkev is online now   Reply With Quote