HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antti Niemi

Old
05-27-2010, 10:08 PM
ibleedblue8

vCash: 500
Antti Niemi

Antti Niemi is a restricted free agent at the end of the year. What if the Blues signed him to an offer sheet? The Blackwaks can't match much because they are so close to the cap. The Blues get their young goalie, and the Hawks are stuck with Huet between the pipes next year. What do people think about this idea?

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:05 PM
EOM

Interesting idea. I think the Hawks will probably make it a priority to re-sign him, even if they have to bury Huet in the minors. They have the cash to do it.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Gaels

I don't know about him. I have a hard time judging if he is the real deal or the product of a good team. If they didn't have to give up more than a 2nd it may be worth doing. However, he would be way down on my list of guys to go after.

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:39 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I think Niemi is an average goalie, surrounded by a great team. Not dissimilar to Osgood at Detroit in years past. Not worth trying to poach, and I think the picks would be used by the Hawks to have added flexibility in trading their bad contracts. He's not the goalie I'd go after.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:50 AM
Bluester

IF we are going to toss a offer sheet to a goalie I would rather it be Price.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:42 AM
BlueNhockeytown

Noooo

He has had a good year on a great team, those guys usually come back to haunt you. I would rather go after Price as well, you get him out of Montreal and the spotlight and I bet he figures things out and becomes the goalie everyone thought he was going to be.

BlueNhockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I think Niemi is an average goalie, surrounded by a great team. Not dissimilar to Osgood at Detroit in years past. Not worth trying to poach, and I think the picks would be used by the Hawks to have added flexibility in trading their bad contracts. He's not the goalie I'd go after.
Disagree with the "average goalie" part, but the thing about the Hawks using the picks is spot-on. That in itself makes a pursuit of Niemi a bad idea, in my book.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:27 AM
BluesBrother

chicago will pay him what he deserves... If someone wants him, you have to overpay... I think he is better than average goalie in a very good team.. Next season will tell more about him, but in Finland he was very solid every year, and there he didn't play in a good team...

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:36 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'm not sure I understand the attraction of Price. He seems like a high risk option that will cost more than he should. Given that choice (Price or Niemi) I'd probably take Niemi. Price hasn't shown an ability to raise his play in playoff situations. The opposite in fact. Yes, he's young. Yes, he MIGHT develop into a dominant goaltender. But there is also reason to suspect that he does not.

I think people are quick to read "average" and translate that to mean "bad". I think Niemi is average. As in, half the starting goalies in the league are not as good as he is. But I don't think he has carried a team in a playoff series, and he is not the primary reason the Hawks had such a great season. I think if Chris Mason was on the same team, they'd be in the Finals too. I think Mason is also about average (which is an upgrade for half the teams in the league).

Niemi has the advantage of being younger and now will get invaluable Cup experience, so his career trajectory may be favorably affected.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:53 AM
EOM

Personally, I think Niemi is better than most of you guys are giving him credit for. He made some great saves in the San Jose game and was a pretty big factor in their wins.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote