HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Apple Dethrones Microsoft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-27-2010, 04:06 PM
  #51
The Big Giant Head
Registered User
 
The Big Giant Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Slow Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Random question: Why do any people compare Apple products to PC's? I mean, Apple makes the software and sells it on its own computers. There is no such thing as a microsoft laptop or desktop, is there? (serious question, every few years I just buy a dell from walmart, lol). So, if one company controls the entire process, it makes no sense to compare it to a different company when it is just Dell, Compaq, Acer, whoever who are utilizing microsoft stuff on their different quality platforms.

Or maybe I'm missing the point here.
It has to do with the OS (operating System) Microsoft has pretty much monopolized the market when it comes to OS's and Mac has its own OS that it uses so its turned into a ****ing match about witch OS is better and utilizes it system resources better. Really the whole "war" is nonsensical but there always has to be a battle about who's is better. Compaq, Acer, Dell ect all have contracts with Microsoft so if another OS did come out it wouldnt stand a chance because all these manufactures already have to be loyal to Microsoft. So really, for the typical person (not power users who know about Linux among others) they have to choose between PC with Windows or Mac. But since Mac uses PC based platform now, you can use Windows on a Mac machine...really...there's no reason to not buy a mac anymore which is why my next laptop will be such. But its just a pissing match between die hard PC users and die hard Mac users.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:10 PM
  #52
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
It's as if you have two identical cars, a base model and an equipped model. Apple has somehow managed, through their marketing or just overall effort to convince people that the base model is better, despite paying more. To casual observers it seems strange.
We'll never agree on this, of course, but I think your metaphor is skewed. It's more like you have two similarly equipped cars with similar capabilities, but one is a BMW and one is a Ford. Take it a step further, you have a BMW 6 series coming in at 90K and a Ford Shelby GT500 coming in at 60K. The Ford performs better than the BMW in a lot of areas, power, performance etc., and is worse in others like resale value and reliability.

Yes, marketing and effective branding has a huge role to play in the premium paid for any product. But they are different products for different audiences. The Ford might give more bang for the buck, especially for someone who likes to tinker under the hood, while the BMW is a good choice for someone who just wants to drive the car.

Just because you can rebuild an engine doesn't mean the BMW owner is an idiot.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
  #53
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 500
Surprise...Apple/fanboy hating in this thread.

I like the comments of calling Apple fanboys "trendy" and going to "Starbucks". Do I detect an inferiority complex or just unclever sarcasm? What are you guys, 10?

On topic: good for Apple, they've been growing consistently since the iMac/iPod, so this is no surprise.


Last edited by Coldplay: 05-27-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:35 PM
  #54
Tumsh
Registered User
 
Tumsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,233
vCash: 500
I didn't realize that people pick sides like that on this issue. It's almost worse than the GDT's in the playoff section

I have a PC, because I like to game, and the PC still gets more games and so on. Furthermore, I am familiar with PC's, so I'd rather stick to it. My GF has a mac, and apart from it not having certain games, I see no problem with it when I use it...

Could it be that what type of computer is better may vary based on what you need it for, and what functionality you desire?

Perhaps someone who is more versed in economics and business can explain to those of us who hate the topic what implications this has for us buyers. Will that make computers cheaper or more expensive? Is a balanced marked share good or bad for consumers?

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:38 PM
  #55
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
I didn't realize that people pick sides like that on this issue. It's almost worse than the GDT's in the playoff section

I have a PC, because I like to game, and the PC still gets more games and so on. Furthermore, I am familiar with PC's, so I'd rather stick to it. My GF has a mac, and apart from it not having certain games, I see no problem with it when I use it...

Could it be that what type of computer is better may vary based on what you need it for, and what functionality you desire?

Perhaps someone who is more versed in economics and business can explain to those of us who hate the topic what implications this has for us buyers. Will that make computers cheaper or more expensive? Is a balanced marked share good or bad for consumers?
A sensible post in an Apple thread on HF, can't believe I'm seeing this.

To answer your question: I find Macs/PCs are good for a lot of similar things, the myth that Macs are only good for content creation (media) and that Windows is good for "serious" work (aka Office) is false. Both are good at content creation and productivity.

Windows definitely has more gaming, there's always Boot Camp to run it on a Mac though. Steam's come to Mac too, so that could possibly sway more developers to develop for OS X.

Personally, I use a Mac. I used a PC for my entire life up until 2 years ago. I don't regret the choice I made, and contrary to belief in this thread, not all Mac users buy the Mac because they feel "trendy" or "cool" or whatever garbage like that. The percentage that does that is dumb, just like people who only buy things because they look nice and not necessarily work well. Apple's products do both, no matter what haters will say. PCs also (mostly) work and look good these days. I say mostly because there are still garbage vendors out there I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, but HP/Dell/Sony have been coming out with visually pleasing and powerful computers in recent years.

This whole debate is dumb. I like how Mac users are automatically labelled as "noobs", "trendy" by some, cracks me up every time.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:50 PM
  #56
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,183
vCash: 500
Well, I'm a fan of OSX, but hate Apple.

I think it's possible to want and be into a functional, stable, user-friendly *nix OS, but be put off by the culture and baggage of the main company, yeah?

I want my Flash, or at least the option to have it, and I'm not that dependent on having the thinnest laptop, if it means that looses out on some features (see the newest 13" MB/MBP), and I likes my headless desktops.

guinness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:10 PM
  #57
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
They can use those OS on a PC and not pay extra $ for a logo and "tuned hardware" as they like to put it. How about with the money I saved, I just go and get better hardware.....
Kinda what I'm getting at - that's why I referred to the Hackintosh community.

Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:06 PM
  #58
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post

Let's have a look at this one.
Posts 2-5 are on topic.
Post 6 is blatant trolling.
Post 7 is a response to the trolling.
Post 8 is more blatant trolling.
Posts 9-12 are on topic.
Posts 13-15 are in response to trolling.
Post 16 is offtopic and bordering on trolling.
Post 17 is trolling.
Post 18 is response to trolling.

It's basically a landslide after the first 5 posts.
I'd say it started at 5. CMac doesn't acknowledge the reality of how market capitalization works.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:34 AM
  #59
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 500
This thread is gold...the grouping of Apple users as "retards" is just ****ing hilarious.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:55 AM
  #60
Have My Baby Pierre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,144
vCash: 500
My friend spent like $1000 on a Macbook, his justification was that he will never get a virus now

He's also thinking of buying an Ipad, I asked him if he knew anything about what it can do, his response was "I don't know, it seems really cool."

Make it shiny and they will come.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 12:12 PM
  #61
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 500
People who buy any product for the look are dumb.

Apple products have a unique "synergy" (as someone else put it in another thread) of design and performance. It's not all look and nothing else. My iMac's got a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo and 4GB of 800Mhz RAM and a decent Nvidia card. Granted, I picked this up over 2 years ago, so it's not top of the line anymore as it was then, but it's very powerful and I couldn't be happier with it.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 03:30 PM
  #62
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
We'll never agree on this, of course, but I think your metaphor is skewed. It's more like you have two similarly equipped cars with similar capabilities, but one is a BMW and one is a Ford. Take it a step further, you have a BMW 6 series coming in at 90K and a Ford Shelby GT500 coming in at 60K. The Ford performs better than the BMW in a lot of areas, power, performance etc., and is worse in others like resale value and reliability.

Yes, marketing and effective branding has a huge role to play in the premium paid for any product. But they are different products for different audiences. The Ford might give more bang for the buck, especially for someone who likes to tinker under the hood, while the BMW is a good choice for someone who just wants to drive the car.

Just because you can rebuild an engine doesn't mean the BMW owner is an idiot.
This isn't a bad explanation - I have my own personal mild disagreements, but I don't think there's any one metaphor that everyone's going to agree with. I see it as two similar performing cars, that are basically the same under the hood, with different aesthetics and different bells and whistles, creating two very different price points. Same engine, different interiors and body panels - but I'm sure everyone in the thread can put a slightly different twist on it that everyone else is going to disagree with.

Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:38 PM
  #63
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,066
vCash: 50
I think the whole Mac/Windows thing really comes down to a couple of simple points.

In my opinion, if your a casual computer user who doesn't game and assuming you can afford to spend a little extra, buying a Mac is really a no brainer. I've used both extensively and I've noticed that even with Macs that have considerably weaker specs, things like Photoshop and such tend to run a lot smoother.


In 3 years with my Macbook I never really experienced any issues ever and I only remember it crashing once for no real reason.

Last week however, I decided to go the PC route and purchased a Dell XPS desktop/monitor for about $1400. 8GB's of RAM, 1 TB HD, very good processor & video card and all that .
The first day went well but I then found myself having to bring it back to Best Buy 2 times in the first 5 days because of problems I had with it. I ended up exchanging it for a Macbook Pro and as of now I'm happy with my decision.


To label all Mac users as idiots who buy Macs "just to be cool" is a completely idiotic notion.
As somebody who could afford to spend a little extra and who only uses their computer for browsing online / Word & Excel / Itunes / Football Manager it was really an easy decision for me and you're looking at somebody who really wanted to pick up a PC this time around.
The fact that they are more aesthetically pleasing is only a plus on top of what is a really reliable machine.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:47 PM
  #64
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Honest question, why does this mean anything at all? The only thing that matters to me is market share.
It doesn't. It gives Mac users justification for spending twice as much on a computer.

This barely effects the end user at all, so it really doesn't matter. Regardless of who makes more, each company is going to keep putting out it's products, one way or another.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:01 PM
  #65
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
It doesn't. It gives Mac users justification for spending twice as much on a computer.

This barely effects the end user at all, so it really doesn't matter. Regardless of who makes more, each company is going to keep putting out it's products, one way or another.
Nothing MEANS anything. So what's your point?

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:16 PM
  #66
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Nothing MEANS anything. So what's your point?
Much like Mac vs. PC arguments, I have no point.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.