HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan McDonagh refuses to sign with the Rangers

Old
05-28-2010, 07:32 PM
shortcat1

vCash: 500
Ryan McDonagh refuses to sign with the Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Gauthier signed Klubertanz 'cause.....they might be interested in.....Ryan McDonagh and having Klubertanz, who has played 1 year with him would be a start to convince McDo to give the Habs a shot at signing him once/if he becomes UFA.
I'm using Whitesnake's quote because, on 'Attaque à 5' last night, it was mentioned that Ryan McDonagh is refusing to sign with the Rangers.

It was added that in 2011, he would become a free agent. The idea that Montreal might have signed Klubertanz because he was a playing buddy with McDonagh would make it more likely that McDonagh would come back to the Canadiens.

The comment was added that this would make the Higgins & McDonagh for Gomez & Pyatt trade a ridiculous steal for the Canadiens.

I suppose... the thing is that McDonagh is rated the Ranger's sixth best prospect. On top of that, he's rated their 5th best defensive prospect and a 7.5C. (That's quite a drop from when he was considered an 8.0B a couple of years ago.)

In any case, if it works out that the rumour does come to fruition, I don't know if it'd be as big a deal as is made to be.

Comments?

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:33 PM
NHLcrazy

oooooh that would be hilarious...!

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:34 PM
centrehice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
I'm using Whitesnake's quote because, on 'Attaque à 5' last night, it was mentioned that Ryan McDonagh is refusing to sign with the Rangers.

It was added that in 2011, he would become a free agent. The idea that Montreal might have signed Klubertanz because he was a playing buddy with McDonagh would make it more likely that McDonagh would come back to the Canadiens.

The comment was added that this would make the Higgins & McDonagh for Gomez & Pyatt trade a ridiculous steal for the Canadiens.

I suppose... the thing is that McDonagh is rated the Ranger's sixth best prospect. On top of that, he's rated their 5th best defensive prospect and a 7.5C. (That's quite a drop from when he was considered an 8.0B a couple of years ago.)

In any case, if it works out that the rumour does come to fruition, I don't know if it'd be as big a deal as is made to be.

Comments?
I read the article from the rangers beat reporter. It was all speculation cause he's staying to be the captain of his college team next year. He's never said he won't sign with the rangers after that. Just that he's not signing this year.

Not that odd.

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

This is all just speculation at this point. He wants to stay at Wisconsin for 1 more season. That doesn't mean he's refusing to sign with the Rangers.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Really? Then why don't all prospects just refuse to sign with their respective team and go sign with the Pens or Caps?

Makes no sense

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

And just to be sure.....McDonagh is indeed free only in 2011. Klubertanz did sign ONLY a 1-year contract. Now CLEARLY the Habs didn't sign Klubertanz solely for the idea to attract McDonagh 'cause for this to happen, the Habs would need to sign Klubertanz for at least another year. McDonagh would need to want to come back etc....

And chances are, like it was mentioned and like the Habs have a whole lot of history with moves like that, they liked Klubertanz WHILE watching McDonagh.

Still.....if McDonagh really would have love to play for the Habs and he'd fine a buddy with the team.....it MIGHT play in his choice for a team IF he indeed decides to be a UFA.

Now, it's not because you go senior that you automatically won't sign with your team......but it's kinda strange that a player of his talent would go to his senior year.....I've seen a whole lot more players less ready than him be signed in their sophomore or junior years....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
And chances are, like it was mentioned and like the Habs have a whole lot of history with moves like that, they liked Klubertanz WHILE watching McDonagh.
He played with McDonagh and Engqvist. Odds are that the Habs scouts have seen a lot of this kid.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM
RE-HABS

With Staal, Gilroy, Del Zotto and Sanguinetti all in the system and on the team (3 of the 4) maybe he see's a clog of Dmen and limited chances of making the direct jump.

Who knows, his heart may still lay in Montreal, or he maybe thinking he can do a Blake Wheeler and go where he wants?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
He played with McDonagh and Engqvist. Odds are that the Habs scouts have seen a lot of this kid.
Totally. Not saying the contrary. Could totally be the only reason behind it. And the fact that he played fine. Just saying....it might be a possibility that it was amongst the reasons why he was signed.

Slight possibility. Even if Klubertanz was never paired with McDo. Might have been the great helping hand in his freshman year.

Anyway, it's just total pure speculation. Just a little odd but probably totally circumstantial if Klubertanz is signed and McDonagh is thinking of playing his senior year. AND that Timmins was so pissed off to let McDo go. And we are going to be thin on D.

Honestly, on my behalf, it's probably a whole lot of wishful thinking.

Old
05-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

this is not a good source to go on.

Why do we have to go on these crazy assumptions? The far more logical scenario is that Timmins saw klubertanz while scouting mcdonaugh and he caught his eye. Nothing more.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:57 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Because we are Habs fans...thats why.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
this is not a good source to go on.

Why do we have to go on these crazy assumptions? The far more logical scenario is that Timmins saw klubertanz while scouting mcdonaugh and he caught his eye. Nothing more.
Again....there's nothing in that "news" that are sources. It's a comment and we're speculating on it. Like 1000 threads per week...not sure why this one would be any different. It's all about us having to throw a great prospect in a trade. All about knowing Timmins was definatley pissed off about it. All about McDonagh refusing, for now, to sign with his new team. All about us acquiring one of his ex-friends. Then, this thread is just made of speculations and assumptions with no real proof, basis or facts.

Again, nothing we haven't see so far......

Old
05-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Again....there's nothing in that "news" that are sources. It's a comment and we're speculating on it. Like 1000 threads per week...not sure why this one would be any different. It's all about us having to throw a great prospect in a trade. All about knowing Timmins was definatley pissed off about it. All about McDonagh refusing, for now, to sign with his new team. All about us acquiring one of his ex-friends. Then, this thread is just made of speculations and assumptions with no real proof, basis or facts.

Again, nothing we haven't see so far......
I wouldn't even call this speculation. Its something below that when we report something from that TV show.

I don't consider McDonaugh to be a great prospect either.

Old
05-28-2010, 08:04 PM
vad87

Ryan McDonagh will decide after attending Rangers prospects camp

There's a chance we won't know the fate of another standout defenseman, Ryan McDonagh, until after he attends a prospects camp for the New York Rangers in July.

McDonagh was a first-round draft pick of Montreal in 2007, but his rights were traded to New York last June. He's now waiting to see where he fits in with the Rangers before deciding if he will sign with them or return for his senior season.

"Ryan is conducting business as if he's coming back,'' Eaves said. "He's training. He's going to school. He's reaching out to his teammates as their captain. He's controlling what he can control.''

McDonagh didn't immediately respond to a request for an interview.

Eaves said the prospects camp — college players pay their own way, as per NCAA rules — will be an important moment for McDonagh. That's when he figures to sit down with Rangers officials and get a lay of the land regarding his future.

"It's totally a business decision,'' Eaves said.

Eaves will wait as long as he has to if it means having McDonagh — a dominant presence on the ice and a respected one off it — come back next season.

After his second season with the Badgers, Eaves didn't learn until the first day of fall semester classes that defenseman Ryan Suter was forgoing his last three years of eligibility to sign a NHL contract with Nashville.

"This could be that same thing,'' Eaves said of the McDonagh case. "I don't know.''

If McDonagh does sign, leaving the Badgers with eight blue-liners, Eaves said he won't bring in another defenseman.

"That's the plan right now,'' he said.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I wouldn't even call this speculation. Its something below that when we report something from that TV show.

I don't consider McDonaugh to be a great prospect either.
I've heard the McDonagh refusing to sign report through Yvon Pedneault on CKAC. Then, Michel Villeneuve with Yvon Pedneault starting to put the Klubertanz scenario in the air wondering if it could be a reason for the signing.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Villeneuve thought McDonagh was going to be available as soon as this year. I mean the Klubertanz signing, if we let him go next year, won't have any effect on McDo if Kluber leaves and when McDo becomes available.

As far as not being that great of a prospect, I believe it's just a question of lowering our expectations. He might not be that great of a prospect based on the 2007 Timmins comments. But I still believe that he will be a serviceable player in the NHL in a few years.

Old
05-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

That's all Pedneault ever does speculation.

McDonaugh said he wanted to know a thing or two about the Rangers developement program first.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
I've heard the McDonagh refusing to sign report through Yvon Pedneault on CKAC. Then, Michel Villeneuve with Yvon Pedneault starting to put the Klubertanz scenario in the air wondering if it could be a reason for the signing.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Villeneuve thought McDonagh was going to be available as soon as this year. I mean the Klubertanz signing, if we let him go next year, won't have any effect on McDo if Kluber leaves and when McDo becomes available.

As far as not being that great of a prospect, I believe it's just a question of lowering our expectations. He might not be that great of a prospect based on the 2007 Timmins comments. But I still believe that he will be a serviceable player in the NHL in a few years.
I'll buy that.

Old
05-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:

Comments?
IMHO, the trading of Gomez by the Rangers looks more like a salary dump by NYR - (factoring in the issue of salary, looks like NYR got the better of that deal) considering that after they got rid of Gomez' albatross of a contract the Rangers signed Marian Gaborik who scored 42 goals and 86 points!

Enough said!

Regarding McDonagh's rating as the Ranger's sixth best prospect vs formerely being the HABS #1 rated prospect might bring the Habs drafting record into a clearer perspective.

After PK Suban and Halak - both now in the NHL, the prospect cupboard in Hab Land looks a little thin on talent to say the least.

So...........is Trevor Timmins really a great judge of hockey talent? Considering his track record I have strong doubts.

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Not only did we ape this trade in the first place (Gomez + Pyatt), but if the Rangers don't hang onto him, it'll make it even better.

Imagine if we get him back too.

The irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
IMHO, the trading of Gomez by the Rangers looks more like a salary dump by NYR - (factoring in the issue of salary, looks like NYR got the better of that deal) considering that after they got rid of Gomez' albatross of a contract the Rangers signed Marian Gaborik who scored 42 goals and 86 points!
Right, because they made the playoffs the year after they traded Gomez. They got so much better in the standings by dumping him and signing Gaborik.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
Regarding McDonagh's rating as the Ranger's sixth best prospect vs formerely being the HABS #1 rated prospect might bring the Habs drafting record into a clearer perspective.

After PK Suban and Halak - both now in the NHL, the prospect cupboard in Hab Land looks a little thin on talent to say the least.

So...........is Trevor Timmins really a great judge of hockey talent? Considering his track record I have strong doubts.
Well I do have my reservations as far as Timmins is concerned. But I think that McDo's rating is more a tribute to the Rangers "great" drafting more than Timmins bad one.

And then, HF ratings is indeed going with the "what have you do for me lately" theory. Both Sanguinetti and Heikkinen have had a short stint with the Rangers. And do fairly well in the AHL. So their results are easier to judge making them higher on the list.

But based on potential, McDo could be higher than Sanguinetti and Heikkinen at this point. But wouldn't be higher than their first 3 for sure and again, congrats to the great Rangers drafting.

Yet......let's be careful about HF ratings. We had the best prospect pool for how many years with not a lot to show for in the bigs....

Old
05-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

The irony of Pednault talking about this is that Pednault didn't even know who McDonagh was when we drafted him. Pednault was so set on us getting Esposito that he didn't even do his homework on any of the other players despite being the RDS analyst for their draft show. I remember when he learned (through his media guide) that McDonagh was going to play for Wisconsin, he stated that he'll probably be a defense partner with Kyle Turris!!!

After that example of extreme laziness and incompetence from an analyst, I'll never believe anything that comes out of Pednault's mouth again. And people wonder why RDS fired this hack!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:18 AM
alexstream

Quote:
It already is.

Pyatt > Higgins right now.
Higgins never had the drive to play defensively like Pyatt did these playoffs... And he's not so good offensively.
I prefer a good 3rd liner who knows his role over a guy who could be a great 3rd liner, but who just wants to be (and thinks he is) a 2nd liner..

We once said Higgins had the potential to become a Lehtinen... however, you can't do that if you think you're more "worthy". It's all in his head for higgins. Maybe he thinks he's Brett Hull or something.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
It already is.

Pyatt > Higgins right now.
Higgins never had the drive to play defensively like Pyatt did these playoffs... And he's not so good offensively.
I prefer a good 3rd liner who knows his role over a guy who could be a great 3rd liner, but who just wants to be (and thinks he is) a 2nd liner..

We once said Higgins had the potential to become a Lehtinen... however, you can't do that if you think you're more "worthy". It's all in his head for higgins. Maybe he thinks he's Brett Hull or something.
While I agree that we severely overrated Higgins when he was a HAB, now you are quite underestimating him! Higgins is better than Pyatt period. While Pyatt has great speed and is a good PKer, Higgins wins more battles along the boards and I'm sure most teams would pick him ahead of Pyatt.

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Not only did we ape this trade in the first place (Gomez + Pyatt), but if the Rangers don't hang onto him, it'll make it even better.

Imagine if we get him back too.

The irony.

Right, because they made the playoffs the year after they traded Gomez. They got so much better in the standings by dumping him and signing Gaborik.

No.................becuase making the playoffs is a team accomplishment, not an individual accomplishment. Good thing for the Habs that they didn't have to rely solely on Gomez production to make the playoffs!

No, because 42 goals and 86 points is much more in line with a $7.5 million per year contract than is paying a player $8 Million per year for 12 goals and 59 points (of course we can't overlook Gomez' contribution of 2 playoff goals in 19 playoff games - especially in an eliminatiomn series where his team can't buy a goal).

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Jigger77

Has anyone historically ever refused to sign with the Rangers?

Sounds fishy to me.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote