HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds sign G Atte Engren to 2 year ELC (Unknown where he will play in 2010-11)

Old
05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds sign G Atte Engren to 2 year ELC (Unknown where he will play in 2010-11)

Quote:
Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed 2008 draft pick Atte Engren (AH-tay EHN-grehn) to a two-year entry-level contract.

Engren, 22 (2/19/88), is fresh off backstopping TPS Turku to the 2010 Finnish Elite League (SM-Liiga) title. In his first appearance in the SM-Liiga Playoffs, the 6-1, 184-pound goaltender posted a 7-1 record, ranking fourth in postseason goals-against average (1.82) and fifth in save percentage (.936). In 35 regular-season appearances with TPS in 2009-10, Engren also ranked fourth in the Finnish League in save percentage (.921) and ninth in wins (21) after appearing in just six contests for the club in 2008-09
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530464

OK, I'm happy...have a nice long weekend!!!

IMO, Engren was the best goalie at prospect camp last season. Very quick on his skates, always square to the puck, excellent glove hand that he challenged shooters to test, and fantastic rebound control. Injured Sunday morning during off-ice warmup, battled through the session and struggled, but was clearly the best keeper the first two days of on-ice sessions.

No mention of where Engren will play next season, but with a two-year deal...you've gotta think he'll be given a chance to earn a spot at prospect camp this year, right?

All in all, a fantastic signing to close out the week!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
"Engren is a much more athletic goalie, very quick, relies on quickness,” Predators goaltending coach Mitch Korn said in the summer of 2009. “Not the biggest guy in the world, but probably the most athletic-playing of the (Nashville prospects)."

Korn described what Engren needs to work on. "It's keeping his game under control. Using that athletic ability when it's needed, and not when it's not needed.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/atte_engren

Old
05-28-2010, 08:34 PM
caley

Jeez, where are the Preds gonna stash all these goalies? Do you think maybe Dekanich doesn't get qualified?

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Jeez, where are the Preds gonna stash all these goalies? Do you think maybe Dekanich doesn't get qualified?
It's starting to look that way isn't it ? ... Pickard ... Engren ... Lindback ... Rinne ... okay that's 4 ... gonna need a back up for Nashville & one for AHL/ECHL

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
It's starting to look that way isn't it ? ... Pickard ... Engren ... Lindback ... Rinne ... okay that's 4 ... gonna need a back up for Nashville & one for AHL/ECHL
Alright, I really have no clue anymore...

Rinne is the clear cut No. 1 in Nashville. Beyond that positions 2-5 on the depth charts are murky...

Pickard needs to start at Milwaukee to advance his development. Lindback is committed to North America and should compete for a spot as Pekka's backup, but will likely start in Milwaukee splitting time with Pickard. Smith split starts with Robert Mayer (MTL) in Cincinnati (ECHL) this season and needs to move up for his development. Then of course we have Dekanich who was supposed to earn his way into the No. 2 spot last season, but was inconsistent and is at best in a competition there. Dex is an RFA this summer too, but is likely the backup behind Pekka to start next year...

Oops, did I forget Engren? I really like Engren and think he could be the best of the bunch next season, however...having signed only a two-year deal...will he be in North America next season or will he remain in Europe for the year?

Definitely a difficult situation with some tough choices ahead, but...I'd rather be in this position than have a bare cupboard...

Old
05-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Alright, I really have no clue anymore...

Rinne is the clear cut No. 1 in Nashville. Beyond that positions 2-5 on the depth charts are murky...

Pickard needs to start at Milwaukee to advance his development. Lindback is committed to North America and should compete for a spot as Pekka's backup, but will likely start in Milwaukee splitting time with Pickard. Smith split starts with Robert Mayer (MTL) in Cincinnati (ECHL) this season and needs to move up for his development. Then of course we have Dekanich who was supposed to earn his way into the No. 2 spot last season, but was inconsistent and is at best in a competition there. Dex is an RFA this summer too, but is likely the backup behind Pekka to start next year...

Oops, did I forget Engren? I really like Engren and think he could be the best of the bunch next season, however...having signed only a two-year deal...will he be in North America next season or will he remain in Europe for the year?

Definitely a difficult situation with some tough choices ahead, but...I'd rather be in this position than have a bare cupboard...
maybe one gets traded along with a forward to a team that needs a goalie & a contract for a better upgrade @ forward ? ...

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think we're playing a dangerous game if we allow an inconsistent AHL goalie in Dekanich to back up Pekka this season, even if he does play a Brodeurian workload. Especially if you recall that Pekka had his downs this season, as well.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think we're playing a dangerous game if we allow an inconsistent AHL goalie in Dekanich to back up Pekka this season, even if he does play a Brodeurian workload. Especially if you recall that Pekka had his downs this season, as well.
I agree completely, which is why I'm hoping we bring in a veteran free agent to compete for the backup job at camp. If we go with Dex/Lindback/Engren as the No. 2 I assume they'll be rotating through the minor league system on a regular interval just to keep fresh and continue playing...

Old
05-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Cosmojam

Engren was pretty solid goalie this season, and made a huge step into the spotlights being a key member of TPS's success this season. On a good day Engren is totally unbeatable, but there are still some bad days in between. Engren has a huge potential to become a NHL-goalie anyway.

Cosmojam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:55 AM

Hi everyone,

I have followed Engren last couple of years. Season 08-09 I wasn't confident at all, but last season (09-10) he actually played pretty well. I don't know do you guys know that legendary Urpo "Upi" Ylönen (magic man, former coach of Kiprusoff, Niittymäki, Norrena, Hurme, Salak (Panthers) and etc.) is Engren's goalie coach. He has developed Engren's style a lot in Turku and I think that Engren should stay in Finland for the next season to finish his job with Upi. I don't know but it looks like Predators have many good goalie prospects and everyone of them can't have so much ice time that is needed. If Engren plays 10-11 season in Turku he's clearly no. 1 here, no doubt about that. And it takes time to adapt new environment and coaches and things like that, so IMO Engren should play next season in Turku and so every one of the prospects gets enough ice time and other time to develop.

Whatever happens, I'm pleased on behalf of Atte.

39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:13 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Ylonen was also Teemu Lassila's coach.

I had high hopes for that cat.

I'll be honest, I liked Lindback a little better in camp last summer, but I'm pleased to have the best crop of goalie prospects we've had in our history. It's not a bad problem to have.

Now, if only we could have that problem with top 6 forward prospects...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:04 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Poile is a known asset hoarder but this is ridiculous.

It will be a disservice to these players if the preds keep them all, unless we are somehow able to loan one or more to another AHL team. None of them need to be in the ECHL this next season. If there is no spot for them in the AHL poile either needs to trade them or find a suitable place in europe for them.

the only way this makes sense is that Poile has no intention of signing a veteran backup goalie and hopes that by the sheer numbers one of these 4 prospects plays lights out in camp and justifies giving them the backup spot.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Unless the Preds are insane like me and thinking of moving Rinne to make salary to sign players, and I said the only way they could do it is if they are insane like me. I see it like this....

Rinne, One of the prospects as back up. Pickard, one of the prospects for backup in Milwaukee, Either Engren or Lindback in the SEL.

It's just curious but it looks like the Preds signed the players they HAD to.

EDIT: Note, the Preds don't have a 2nd and a 4th pick in the draft and they might be setting up assets for trading for picks. Now if Colorado would listen it could be interesting.

Picks: 1#18, 3#78, 5#126, 6#168, 7#194, 7#198

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 05-29-2010 at 01:01 PM.
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
It's just curious but it looks like the Preds signed the players they HAD to.
Yeah, I think more than anything the new transfer agreements with Sweden and Finland created this logjam quicker than anyone anticipated.

Two of these guys (Engren and Lindback) were 7th round picks that have each developed very quickly and experienced large leaps in their development, but then due to the new agreements, both had to be signed by June 1st to avoid losing their rights.

Smith was drafted because at the time we really were pretty thin in the goaltending ranks on the depth chart and he was the top rated goalie in his draft year.

Pickard was drafted the next year after Smith struggled and Pickard was the top rated goalie in his draft class that honestly I don't think the Predators really thought would fall to them at 18th.

Dekanich has been a work in progress and if not for his struggles last season should have been solidly in the lead for the backup job to Pekka this summer.

More than anything, this glut of goalies has come about due to the transfer agreements that went into affect this summer...

Old
05-29-2010, 04:22 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Pickard was drafted the next year after Smith struggled and Pickard was the top rated goalie in his draft class that honestly I don't think the Predators really thought would fall to them at 18th.
I remember that draft and saying to myself "Well, Ottawa just traded up to get a goaltender." and Ottawa drafts a Swedish defenseman and Nashville had Pickard fall into their lap.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote