HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign free agent defenceman Kyle Klubertanz

Old
05-28-2010, 10:58 PM
KingGallagherXI

vCash: 500
Is the Swedish elite league less good, equal, or better than the AHL in terms of skill level? Because if it's about equal or better, then this guy interests me. Good stats, especially since the goal average is low in that league.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Career high

Looking at his stats, is it not meaningful that he just had a major statistical improvement relative to the ushl and ncaa in one of the world's best leagues? I'm no expert on development curves, but what are the chances that some sort of corner has been turned and he's a weirdly late bloomer?

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Is the Swedish elite league less good, equal, or better than the AHL in terms of skill level? Because if it's about equal or better, then this guy interests me. Good stats, especially since the goal average is low in that league.
A hotly debated topic. I've seen this ranking order/"hierarchy" in a number of places: NHL>KHL>Sm.Liiga>=Eliteserien>=AHL. Personally, I don't think the Swedish league is any "worse" than the AHL, but I think the difference in style of play, and impact/role of the most/least talented players in each league, make it difficult to really judge the calibre.

I mean, a big-hitting defenseman who likes to move the puck, but gets himself out of position by times (let's use Phaneuf as a fairly random example), might not integrate well or have success in a Swedish system. Conversely, a slightly smaller, more cerebral and offensive defenseman from a successful Swedish system might prove productive in the current NHL (playing defense sure has changed/"evolved" since the 90s). There's no rule by any stretch, but if you had to guess...

The AHL is a better testing ground, imo, for success in the NHL (style and familiarity with peers plays no small part), but I still consider the level of the Swedish game to be a bit higher.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:10 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Depends on who you ask, alot of teams (like the Red Wings) have let their Swedish prospects develop in the SEL and then bring them over directly to the NHL.

Sometimes a little AHL time if the big club is stacked or if just for a little adjustment to the North American game.. But on the whole, I'd consider the SEL to be a step above the AHL.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Looking at his stats, is it not meaningful that he just had a major statistical improvement relative to the ushl and ncaa in one of the world's best leagues? I'm no expert on development curves, but what are the chances that some sort of corner has been turned and he's a weirdly late bloomer?
May not be a weirdly late bloomer - just a late bloomer.

Happens all the time. Especially for defensemen and goalies. Remember Streit?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Captain Gorges

Thanks for the movie, it helps to really grasp the type of player he is.

<-- Interested.

It's worth taking the chance. Markov was a late bloomer also. If he becomes half of what Markov became, i'd be happy. At minimum, it wont hurt the Bulldogs.

Captain Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gorges View Post
Thanks for the movie, it helps to really grasp the type of player he is.

<-- Interested.

It's worth taking the chance. Markov was a late bloomer also. If he becomes half of what Markov became, i'd be happy. At minimum, it wont hurt the Bulldogs.
Yeah from what I saw making it, don't expect him to challenge for a NHL spot. He's probably Andre Benoit's replacement in the AHL

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:06 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I saw him at the USHL All star game, and a number of times at Wisconsin. I didn't hear why the Ducks never signed him though, he had a big sophmore year (great team that year, (Joe Pavelski, Brian Elliott, Tom Gilbert, Jack Skille, Robbie Earl, Adam Burish) they had one of the best OT games in the Frozen Four against O'Byrne and Cornell.

Always liked him as a solid two way, puck moving D. I know his junior year his production dropped off a good bit. Don't recall him playing too much with McDonagh though if at all. Should be a solid pickup for the Dogs.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote