HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

nyr fla

Old
05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
While I know Horton, if brought here, would probably play center, its worth noting that he has played alot of wing for Florida as well. It could be interesting to see how Anisimov would do with a guy like that flanking him. We all saw how much more comfortable he was playing with a bruser like Shelley at his side, so putting a guy like Horton at his wing could give him that same confidence but also someone with good offensive skills to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
exactly what i'm thinking as well
The problem with all that is the fact that Horton isn't a center, and he's not a bruiser at all. In fact, he's one of the most powerless power forwards I've ever seen.

I like him as a secondary scoring threat if he's available for cheap, but if not, I pass.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

This is so dumb. I understand we need talent but to trade a hard working 2nd/3rd liner. For a guy with injury problems and working hard issues makes no sense. I can understand trading callly for a guy who is better than him and gives his all, but in no way do i want another zherdev on this team.

And to the guy who thinks that zherdev is coming back...for the millionth time the Rangers reported they have no spoken to him whatsoever and that he is NOT coming back.

Are lineup next year is going to look somewhat similar to this years and we wont be contending for a cup.....get over it.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

So we trade a guy with all the heart in the world for a guy with no heart.

Brilliant!

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:25 PM
GarretJoseph*

I'll include a first if they take Redden, Rosie & our Captain too.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:38 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

While I like Horton, he is way over-hyped.

Drafted as a power C and now plays a soft wing!

He does not play a PF game, and he has never played a injury free year in his career. And on top of that many question his desire/work ethic.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:30 PM
XLJ

Horton is talented but he is an underachiever. Rangers fans will get frustrated with him because he is not physical at all. Though he would help with the secondary scoring but I wouldn't give up Cally for him. I would trade Sangs and a draft pick for him but no way Florida would do that. So I would pass on him.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 06:12 PM
The Perfect Paradox

I would pass as well, but I'm pretty sure the Panthers would too.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 06:51 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

and the overvaluing of our players continues.

on its face, this is another one of those..."lets trade our 3rd line/grinder/heart and soul type, which bye the way this organization produces like friken bunnies (and god help us if we take another future 3rd line guy and draft nino nederieiterrerereeeeerrrrr) for your top 6 offensive forward" type proposals.

however, nathan horton plays when he wants to play. hes got talent but hes got so-so effort many nights. would he be our second best forward immediately...er, sorry 3rd best forward- i totally forgot about the norwegian troll- yes he would, but again, torts would not coexist well with him im afraid. he plays like a marshmellow and avoids contact like the plague.

having said all that, horton has a pretty affordable contract and was one of their best forwards all last season and im sure fla would scoff at that offer anyway.

im sorry, but as much as we all love us some ryan callahan around here, he isnt a top line forward people and thus shouldnt be included in deals for um...top line forwards.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 06:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Not that interested in Horton to be honest....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:00 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
Sather wouldn't trade dubinsky or callahan for Heatley. Why in the world would he consider trading either of them for Horton?
Precisely. It's not like Sather all of a sudden became smart.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:42 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Horton has the size and the talent no question about that. The criticism that is written on him says he lacks "heart". I doubt that. Jay Bouwmeester couldn't wait to get out of dodge either.

Perhaps Florida is motivated to move the guy

but not for callahan and a 2nd round pick

a closer look at capgeek shows Florida needing a defenceman. So a sign and trade could work

perhaps Dan Girardi on a resigned RFA contract and another asset might be enough to start talks

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Horton has the size and the talent no question about that. The criticism that is written on him says he lacks "heart". I doubt that. Jay Bouwmeester couldn't wait to get out of dodge either.

Perhaps Florida is motivated to move the guy

but not for callahan and a 2nd round pick

a closer look at capgeek shows Florida needing a defenceman. So a sign and trade could work

perhaps Dan Girardi on a resigned RFA contract and another asset might be enough to start talks
Girardi/Grachev?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:06 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
florida wont touch this. callahan is a 2nd/3rd liner. horton is a 1st/2nd liner.

It obviously hasnt worked for Florida. They need more Callahan-types. They have offensive skill developing, but not much in the two-way mold.

Callahan proved to the world what he is capable of when he isnt scoring. If Horton isnt scoring, he isnt doing much else.

I like Horton a lot, but in no way do I trade away our best two-way forward and the possibility of drafting a heavy-hitter in the 2nd round for a guy who hasnt made the Panthers better or worse.

I say no.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
It obviously hasnt worked for Florida. They need more Callahan-types. They have offensive skill developing, but not much in the two-way mold.

Callahan proved to the world what he is capable of when he isnt scoring. If Horton isnt scoring, he isnt doing much else.

I like Horton a lot, but in no way do I trade away our best two-way forward and the possibility of drafting a heavy-hitter in the 2nd round for a guy who hasnt made the Panthers better or worse.

I say no.
This is my feeling on this kind of deal. It's not the proper allocation of assets. You can potentially get a player that can provide what Horton does with the 2nd round pick. So, you're almost giving Callahan away.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:02 AM
LyNX27

Both teams say no to this trade.

Florida is hurting for scoring, why would they trade down? 2nd round pick would not make up the difference for the loss in scoring. If they make a trade, it is either for great positioned picks, NHL prospects, or they are trading to receive the best player in the deal. And since they don't have the chips to do that kinda trading they really aren't in the trade market.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:50 AM
NYRfan11

I think Florida is gonna try to move out as many of these big (or medium) contracts as possible and take a serious run at Kovalchuk. I think they trade Vokoun, Horton, and others, and then offer Kovy something like Tallon did to Hossa, but more money per. $7 x 13 years to solve their scoring issues. It would be a big splash kind of like he did with Campbell to get the fans re-energized and I think Kovy lives in Fla anyway so it would be a good fit for his family.

NYRfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
spanman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We wouldnt shake things up by dealing Gaborik for Clarkson and a second.
Um what? Gaborik is WORLDS better than Horton. I agree with whoever posted it ... terrible comparison.

That being said i wouldn't like this deal. I think Cally has more in him. The downfall of this organization has always been tied to giving up on young talent too early. Case in point ... Marc Savard. Check out the numbers ... Cally and Savard have pretty similar numbers their first couple of seasons. And we traded him away for basically Hlavac! wouldn't you want that one back? I would say give him one more year and see if he doesn't grow ... then i might think about trading him ... but not now.

spanman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:21 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

lets take a closer look at Florida and its picks

Ed Jovanovski ? gone
Rob Niedermayer ? gone
Filip Kuba ? gone
Huselius ? gone
Spacek ? gone
Hagman ? gone
Bouwmeester ? gone

I see a pattern here, don't you ? 3 of those guys were first round picks too.

The new ownership making decisions in Florida knows and loves the sport of hockey. They are going to build a winner, I really believe that. The clear and proven way of building a winner is to stockpile picks, grab a lottery pick or three and develop your guys so they mature around the same time. Then pick up a few vets either UFA or via trade to round out a solid squad.

It also makes sense for them to jettison some contracts overboard for picks/assets to make room for Kovalchuk

I still see holes on the panthers blueline which I think the Rangers have assets to offer.

Personally I think Horton would be awesome on broadway.

Old
05-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I'm not being a homer or over valuing Callahan, but IMO this deal makes no sense. Callahan may not be a better player offensively but he is a better all around player and team guy.

I also don't understand all the Horton love around here. In 5 seasons he has only played a full 82 games twice, and if the work ethic/attitude rumors are true he is exactly what we don't need.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:33 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
I'm not being a homer or over valuing Callahan, but IMO this deal makes no sense. Callahan may not be a better player offensively but he is a better all around player and team guy.

I also don't understand all the Horton love around here. In 5 seasons he has only played a full 82 games twice, and if the work ethic/attitude rumors are true he is exactly what we don't need.
the same argument was made against Gaborik, with the "experts" saying the same thing going into last season

result ?

an mvp performance

Old
05-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
the same argument was made against Gaborik, with the "experts" saying the same thing going into last season

result ?

an mvp performance
No. The same argument was not made about Marian Gaborik.

Because I'm not talking about his health I'm talking about his lack of character. I just added that he hasn't played many full seasons.

Old
05-29-2010, 01:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

result ?

an mvp performance
There was never concern about Gaborik's work ethic. And when healthy, he's an elite offensive player. When has anyone ever said that about Horton?

05-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Not interested in horton, and the Rangers would have to throw in 1 of their top defensive prospects to keep Florida from laughing and hanging up.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:54 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
No. The same argument was not made about Marian Gaborik.

Because I'm not talking about his health I'm talking about his lack of character. I just added that he hasn't played many full seasons.
actually what you are saying is that you are talking about rumors about his character or lack thereof and basing your conclusion on that rumor. right ? unless you have some inside information. Do you ?

I am saying that these rumors have more to do with the pathetic state of the panthers franchise than the kid himself and that he is following a line of 1st round picks out the door.

I would add that those players who left went on to have fine careers in the NHL (rumors not withstanding)

I have no problem in that we disagree,

I am stating that it appears that young players apparently don't want to play in Florida as evidenced by the list I posted. Do you disagree ?

You are stating that there are rumors about his attitude. My response to that is that I don't believe the rumors because it is hearsay.

Players can go on to have excellent careers after they are traded right ? Why is Horton any different than the countless other players who needed a change in scenery ?

so many of you here don't want him, fine I can understand that. But basing it on rumors seems kinda baseless.

Don't like his contract ? I can understand that.

I think a 6 foot 2 inch 220 pound winger would be a great fit for NY. 142 goals in 412 games, along with 153 assists ? whats not to like ?

Pierre Larouche smoked cigarettes and was traded a couple times, then came to NY and posted a 48 goal season.

Old
05-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
actually what you are saying is that you are talking about rumors about his character or lack thereof and basing your conclusion on that rumor. right ? unless you have some inside information. Do you ?
Correct. I never stated them as fact.

Quote:
I am saying that these rumors have more to do with the pathetic state of the panthers franchise than the kid himself and that he is following a line of 1st round picks out the door.
You are saying... Who says YOU are right?

Quote:
I would add that those players who left went on to have fine careers in the NHL (rumors not withstanding)
Yeah... Not relevant. Good players who got traded away from Florida had good careers?! Shocking discovery.

Quote:
I have no problem in that we disagree,
Obviously you do or you wouldn't have picked my short response apart and put words in my mouth.

Quote:
I am stating that it appears that young players apparently don't want to play in Florida as evidenced by the list I posted. Do you disagree ?
Your list doesn't mean anything, maybe if all of those players had asked for a trade you could claim they don't like playing there but obviously that isn't the case.

Quote:
You are stating that there are rumors about his attitude. My response to that is that I don't believe the rumors because it is hearsay.
You may not want to believe the rumors but that doesn't change the fact that they could be true. You don't want them to be true so you discredit them, that is fine and dandy but you don't know that there is no truth to them.

Quote:
Players can go on to have excellent careers after they are traded right ? Why is Horton any different than the countless other players who needed a change in scenery ?
When did I say he wasn't going to be an effective player?

Quote:
Pierre Larouche smoked cigarettes and was traded a couple times, then came to NY and posted a 48 goal season.
So did Lemiuex but that is besides the point because the game has changed.

To clarify my position on this, I don't have anything against Horton I think he could help this team. I simply stated that there are rumors saying he lacks character. I also think that the cost will be too high for the Rangers.

Last edited by Barbara Underhill: 05-30-2010 at 12:51 PM.